MEEGO  SECTION
-My-MeeGo-
SOFTWARE STORECONTACT

My-Symbian.com Forums

My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo
Symbian & Linux based Communicator and Smartphone Info Center
The Oldest Symbian Community Website - Since 1999

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RulesRules   Log inLog in 
Lightweight, simplified version of the forumsMobile version
Opera Mobile 10 for Maemo

Go to page
1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> Maemo 5 Fremantle
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BentL

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
483 in 355 posts
Thanks given: 114

Phone: N9, N900, E90, 9300i, 9300, 9210

PostPosted: Tuesday, 11.May.2010 09:37    Post subject: Opera Mobile 10 for Maemo   Reply with quote   

Opera Software has released the first preview build of Opera Mobile 10 for the Nokia N900 and N800/N810, see Opera Labs post. Excerpt:
    We’re back! Opera Mobile 10 on Maemo
    We’re proud to present the first preview build of Opera Mobile 10 for Nokia N900 and N800/N810.

Back in 2005, Nokia released the Nokia N770. The included web browser was developed by Opera Software. In 2008, Nokia chose to stop including Opera with Maemo, switching instead to a browser developed internally. Today’s preview build marks our unofficial return to the Maemo platform, after a little over 3 years of absence.

This Maemo version of Opera Mobile 10 was created as a hobby project by a small team of developers in their spare time. In total, about 6 man-weeks were spent on creating the release. It’s worth pointing out that this is not an officially-supported release. As such, it has not undergone our usual quality assurance processes, and at times may not feel as polished or complete as an official release. This also means that there may never be a “final” release of Opera Mobile 10 for Maemo devices, since it’s just that much more fun to add shiny new features rather than fixing boring old bugs.

The preview build contains the same features available in Opera Mobile 10 for Symbian and Windows Mobile smartphones. These include fast and economical browsing with Opera Turbo, bookmark and Speed Dial sync with other Opera products, and of course multiple tabs. For more information, see our rundown of Opera Mobile 10 features.

We have two additional treats for Maemo users: this is the first public release of Opera Mobile to include Carakan — our new Javascript engine.

Unfortunately, JIT support for ARM was not yet stable enough to include, but the speed advantage we gain from Carakan compared to Opera Mobile running on other platforms is already quite substantial.

The second treat is the Mobile debut of our Vega rendering library which — among other things — is responsible for rendering all the exciting new eye-candy like CSS3 rounded corners and shadow effects.

There are a number of known issues with this build, listed below:

• Adobe Flash and other plugins are not supported.
    • Screen tearing may be visible when panning, especially in portrait mode. We expect to fix this in a future update.
    • The built-in on-screen keyboard is not supported. Use the physical keyboard or the on screen keyboard included with Opera Mobile.
    • There is no power management support. In practice this means that if you open a page with animations and leave Opera running, you will soon be using a payphone. Power is drained even when Opera is running in the background and/or the screen is turned off.
    • If you set Opera as the default browser, for example by installing the Browser Switchboard, an extra empty tab will get opened every time you open a link from an external application.

Opera Mobile 10 on Maemo supports portrait screen mode, and will choose screen rotation automatically by default, based on the device orientation. It is also possible to select a specific screen mode manually from the settings menu. This works out-of-the-box on the N900. For the setting to work on the N800/N810 you need to install an additional kernel driver for rotation support.

The fullscreen button on N800/N810 only affects the native titlebar and menu. The “fullscreen” setting in the settings menu only affects Opera Mobile’s UI elements.

Download and install Opera Mobile 10 on your Nokia N800/N810/N900 using the phone’s default browser.

In case you encounter problems, please report bugs and issues using our bug wizard. We also welcome feedback on our forums.

Many thanks to the other Opera Mobile teams, as well as to the Carakan and Graphics teams for all their help in making this possible!
--
Bent Laursen
paddycochrane
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
0 in 0 posts
Thanks given: 0

Phone: P910i, N900

PostPosted: Tuesday, 11.May.2010 14:57    Post subject: not able to donwload and install   Reply with quote   

i tired to download and install opera, however i get the following error:

"unable to download 'opera mobile'
application package not found.

Anyone know if im doing something wrong?

Cheers,

Paddy
dannycamps
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
86 in 57 posts
Thanks given: 9

Phone: Nokia 9000i, Nokia 9290, Nokia 9500, Nokia E90, Nokia N900, Nokia E7, Nokia Lumia 920, Nokia Lumia 1520

PostPosted: Tuesday, 11.May.2010 15:03    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Playing with it now. Easily faster than Firefox and possibly faster than MicroB. It also has full portrait support including a full virtual portrait keyboard. No flash support on it yet as far as I can see.

Well done Opera.
dannycamps
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
86 in 57 posts

Phone: Nokia 9000i, Nokia 9290, Nokia 9500, Nokia E90, Nokia N900, Nokia E7, Nokia Lumia 920, Nokia Lumia 1520

PostPosted: Tuesday, 11.May.2010 15:04    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

i tired to download and install opera, however i get the following error:

"unable to download 'opera mobile'
application package not found.

Anyone know if im doing something wrong?

When you click the 'download' link, it will add the Opera repo to your app manager (you need to give it permission). Then it will start the install itself in a few seconds.
pvanbeek
Site supporter
Site supporter

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
2 in 2 posts
Thanks given: 77

Phone: N9 N900 formerly P990i, P800 6600

PostPosted: Wednesday, 12.May.2010 08:33    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

I loved Opera Mini on the P990 and was fairly impressed with Opera Mobile, though it started showing its age when SE stopped supporting updates which froze the installed version of Opera Mobile. (Though thanks to SWmail and And CapsSwitch I was able to get an early version of flash running.)

So much so I jumped through a fair number of hoops to get Opera Mini running via MicroEmu on the N900, which was somewhat of an anti-climax largely due to lag in the UI.

So I'm glad to see a return of the latest version of Opera Mobile on my device.

Great to have the one click zoom and "Opera Turbo" compression that I got so used to with Opera Mini.

Boots up much quicker than firefox.

Its also great for browsing flash heavy sites that you don't actually want the flash to run!

Also the best of the three for rendering www.economist.com - microb hangs - not sure if this is due to flash or complex java script - if the latter then the new rendering engine appears to be superior.
Yorky
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
2 in 2 posts
Thanks given: 1

Phone: SE W950i, P1i, N900

PostPosted: Wednesday, 12.May.2010 19:51    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

I installed yesterday and must say it's really nice to use, faster even than MicroB. I like the way a page renders as it downloads, and page tears are almost none existant. Scrolling around pages feels much faster too, and the built-in keyboard is nice to use. Portrait mode is fully supported, even with the virgual keyboard.
I loved opera mini on my P1i, and am very impressed with Opera mobile. Unless I need flash, I've got a new browser.
exphilippe
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
0 in 0 posts

Phone: N900

PostPosted: Thursday, 13.May.2010 09:28    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

I've tryed to download it but don't know how to do it.
When i download it onto my computer it's 1ko.
If i put this file into my n900 and open app manager it's not found.
Can someone tell me step by step how to do it?
Many thanks
Rob1n
Site supporter
Site supporter

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
5 in 5 posts
Thanks given: 29

Phone: E90, N800, N900

PostPosted: Thursday, 13.May.2010 09:43    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

If you've downloaded the .install file then you should be able to just open that using File Manager on your N900 (assuming you downloaded the N900 version of the .install file). That will then launch App Manager, set up the repository and install the package.

You can also just click on the link in the N900 browser, in which case it'll definitely get the correct .install file and will automatically pass it through to App Manager.
exphilippe
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
0 in 0 posts

Phone: N900

PostPosted: Thursday, 13.May.2010 11:51    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

thnaks for the idea i should have done it directly downloading directly with the n900.
BentL

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
483 in 355 posts

PostPosted: Thursday, 15.Jul.2010 17:14    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Opera Software has released the first beta version of Opera Mobile 10.1 for Maemo, see this post at talk.maemo.org. Excerpt:
    As some of you may have noticed, the S60 team at Opera released a beta build of Opera Mobile 10.1 today. I am glad to announce that we have also been busy updating the Maemo version to the latest Opera Mobile 10.1 code, so today I have pushed a new build to the extras-testing repository (extras-devel for the N800/N810 build).

Please report bugs and leave comments on the stability of this release. Once we are satisfied that there are no major regressions or stability issues we will push it to our own repositories and extras.

Here is a short changelog for this build:

• Geolocation support.
    • Javascript JIT support.
    • Fix garbage display after rotation due to incorrect stride.
    • Fix monospaced font in UI elements.
    • Fix display of Asian fonts in UI elements.
    • More efficient socket handling, decreases CPU usage slightly.
    • Suspend JavaScript, animations etc. when screen saver activates.
    • Reduced tearing while panning.
    • Fix proxy server mixup.
    • Fix crash when reading proxy settings.
    • Upgraded Opera Core, including many bugfixes
    • Many bugfixes to the UI

Known issues:

• Somewhat higher memory usage, especially on JavaScript intensive sites.
    • Due to timing issues with different geolocation information providers (WiFi, cell towers, GPS) first request may have poor precision.
    • Fast scrolling not optimized for page rendering.
    • Adobe Flash and other plugins are not supported.
    • Screen tearing may be visible when panning, especially in portrait mode.
    • The built-in on-screen keyboard is not supported. Use the physical keyboard or the on screen keyboard included with Opera Mobile.
--
Bent Laursen
BentL

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
483 in 355 posts

PostPosted: Wednesday, 21.Jul.2010 14:24    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Opera Mobile 10.1 beta for Maemo is now also available directly from Opera Software, see blog post. Excerpt:
    Opera Mobile 10.1 labs release for Maemo
    Last week, we released the first beta of Opera Mobile 10.1 for S60. Those with Maemo devices don't need to feel left out though: we have been working hard at keeping the Maemo code in step with the other Opera Mobile releases, and we are proud to present another labs release for the Nokia N900 and N810/N800 – Opera Mobile 10.1 beta.

The previous labs release for Maemo was the first time Carakan, our new Javascript engine, was released on a mobile device. However, JIT support was not ready for that release, which meant that it was not as fast as we wanted it to be. Luckily our Javascript gurus have been working hard on JIT support for ARM CPUs, which means that we are finally able to offer JIT support. This makes Opera Mobile 10.1 beta the browser with the fastest Javascript engine on the Maemo platform!

We have also included support for Geolocation. This means that sites can now use the Geolocation API to find out where you are located (provided you give your permission first, of course), and use that to present you with information relevant to your location. For an example of Geolocation in action, check out this demo.

Changelog:

• Geolocation support
    • JIT support for the Javascript engine
    • Better support for popup windows
    • Power management support
    • Extra empty tabs will no longer be opened if the browser is set as the default
    • A very large number of bugfixes and enhancements to the UI and the rendering engine

Known issues:

• Geolocation may not always update using the most precise source (most commonly, this means it will update using cell tower data instead of GPS)
    • Adobe Flash and other plugins are not supported
    • Screen tearing may be visible when panning, especially in portrait mode
    • The built-in on-screen keyboard is not supported, use the physical keyboard or the on-screen keyboard included with Opera Mobile
    • The new panning algorithm is not optimized with regards to page rendering
    • Panning may sometimes move at much higher speeds than expected

Download and install Opera Mobile 10.1 beta on your Nokia N800/N810/N900 using the phone's default browser. If you have previously installed Opera Mobile 10 on your phone, Opera Mobile should be updated automatically through the Application Manager.

In case you encounter problems, please report bugs and issues using our bug wizard. We also welcome feedback on our forums. We are especially interested in regressions (bugs that were not present in the previously released version).
--
Bent Laursen
pvanbeek
Site supporter
Site supporter

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
2 in 2 posts
Thanks given: 77

Phone: N9 N900 formerly P990i, P800 6600

PostPosted: Thursday, 22.Jul.2010 20:21    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

BentL wrote:

Panning may sometimes move at much higher speeds than expected

I lke how this is listed as an issue - panning is simply awesome now - fastest of any N900 browser by a lomg way.
dannycamps
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
86 in 57 posts

PostPosted: Tuesday, 22.Mar.2011 16:50    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Opera Mobile 11 was released today for Symbian, Android, and Maemo. For N900 users it's in extras-testing.

Installed it today and it is a significant improvement over 10. Startup time is < 3 seconds and there is no more checkerboard pattern when rendering pages. If it had flash support, it would probably be the best browser on the N900.

Official announcement here:
http://my.opera.com/operamobile/blog/opera-mobile-11-for-android-and-s ymbian

Quote:

Features

* Modernized new user interface
* New UI optimized for tablet devices
* Faster framerates when panning and zooming
* No checkerboard, ever
* Text stays sharp during zooming
* Improved text-wrap on zoom
* Smart-tap, auto-zoom and highlights links if ambiguous link click
* Incremental zooming for devices w/o multi-touch
* Buttons for jumping to the top/bottom of the page
* Haptic feedback (if supported in hardware)
* Share URL on social networks, email etc
* Improved Geolocation support
* Session restore

Rendering

* Presto 2.7.81
* JIT for greatly improved Javascript performance (was supported in 10.1 on some Symbian devices)
* Adobe Flash support (Android only, Flash player available separately in Android Market)
* Click-to-play, load Flash content on demand only
* Application Cache
* WebStorage and WebDatabase
* DOM touch and multi-touch events
* HTML5 Audio/Video
* Support for CSS @viewport
* Improved support for meta viewport
* Support for Web Open Font Format (WOFF)
* Support for Arabic ligatures
* Improved form fields skin

The following users say THANKS! for this post: gymbo, Michal Jerz

Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1098 in 699 posts
Thanks given: 286

Phone: Jolla, BB Z10, BB Passport, N950, N900, N8, Nexus 4 (Ubuntu Touch), Lumia 920

PostPosted: Wednesday, 23.Mar.2011 06:32    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

Startup time is < 3 seconds and there is no more checkerboard pattern when rendering pages. If it had flash support, it would probably be the best browser on the N900.

Fully agreed. Performance-wise it is now the fastest browser. I also like the way zoom works now, much more intelligently than in previous version.

I too wish it had Flash support.... in such case it could fully replace MicroB.

As I wrote in the other thread, I hate just one thing: if you open a page in new tab, unlike in the old version it now doesn't automatically open in the foreground. The browser now only indicates with a flashing icon that new tab will be opened and then opens it in the background. What a bad idea. One opens a new page to view it, not to keep it in the background. And it takes so many taps to bring that new tab to the foreground... one tap to show the menu bar, a second one on the tabs icon to show opened tabs, a third one to select the tab to bring to front, and only the fourth tap finally opens it.... I hope they realize that it is a bad idea and change it, or at least add a setting so that everyone can choose how it should work...

Other than that, huge thanks and congratulations to Opera for such a great browser! It has completely eclipsed today's new Firefox version's launch.
Casanunda
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
52 in 48 posts
Thanks given: 326

Phone: n900, Jolla

PostPosted: Wednesday, 23.Mar.2011 13:38    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

I totally agree.

Performance-wise, this version of Opera is just great.
And I really like the zoom double-tap-zoom that automatically uses text reflow to fit the text into the screen. Seems to work perfectly, in landscape and portrait mode.

Only thing really missing is flash support.
And I noticed that a linked pdf file can't be opened directly, but will be saved somewhere in the filesystem. In most cases I prefer to read a pdf directly instead of first saving, then opening the file.

Otherwise, great work!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> Maemo 5 Fremantle All times are GMT + 2 Hours

Go to page
1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic