MEEGO  SECTION
-My-MeeGo.com-
SOFTWARE STORECONTACT

My-Symbian.com Forums

My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo
Symbian & Linux based Communicator and Smartphone Info Center
The Oldest Symbian Community Website - Since 1999

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RulesRules   Log inLog in 
Lightweight, simplified version of the forumsMobile version
Why this Symbian user is looking at Android for his future

Go to page
Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> Symbian OS UIQ 3.x
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1092 in 696 posts
Thanks given: 286

Phone: Jolla, BB Z10, BB Passport, N950, N900, N8, Nexus 4 (Ubuntu Touch), Lumia 920

PostPosted: Wednesday, 29.Dec.2010 21:27    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

You really like the phone sized laptop and you are prepared to put up the the disadvantages.

As I wrote, most of disadvantages have already been ruled out. There is a fully functional turn-by-turn navigation, there is a MMS client, portrait mode is now supported, and so on. I really don't see any REALLY important disadvantages that still remain and could be considered a sacrifice to accept. The only thing I really miss is voice dialing (for in-car use) but even that isn't really a huge problem. I prefer lack of voice dialing on the N900 than e.g. lack of Flash support on the iPhone... Every device has some drawbacks and lacks some features present on other platforms, so the N900 isn't any special in this regard...

Quote:

It is just NOKIA lack of commitment and there sluggish speed.

And that's something I fully agree with.

Quote:

And, did you know about this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fgXaFk4qKk

Yes, I know about that new 2.3 Gingerbread based NITdroid version. I mentioned it in the previous post of mine - I didn't have time yet to try it but I'll surely do it very soon to see what improvements Android 2.3 brings.

But I'd very much prefer that NITdroid developers focus on ONE version and fully implement all features on it instead of releasing multiple, but each of them unfinished, versions. For instance, I hope that they manage to enable hardware video/gfx acceleration soon because it's required by a Polish streaming video application (called ipla, providing access to hundreds of Polish movies and tv series) which is not available on Maemo, so I'd like to use it on the NITdroid...
krischik
Forum Senior
Forum Senior

Thanks received:
11 in 6 posts
Thanks given: 21

Phone: Nexus One, p990i, p900

PostPosted: Wednesday, 29.Dec.2010 22:16    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:
As I wrote, most of disadvantages have already been ruled out.

I thought of intrinsic disadvantages like battery live. Most desktop applications are not written with battery live and so having a desktop on your palm will drain you battery faster then using an OS and Apps which have been optimized for battery live.

Not that my Nexus-One survives long without power cord - Android is Linux as well. Really this is an argument for Symbian.

But that is it: Having a SmartPhone means recharge once a day. Simple as that.
makbil
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Thanks received:
0 in 0 posts
Thanks given: 0

Phone: P900i, P990i, P1i, HTC Touch HD, HTC Desire HD

PostPosted: Wednesday, 29.Dec.2010 23:37    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

krischik wrote:
It is just NOKIA lack of commitment and there sluggish speed.

This pretty much summarizes my position in this matter. For this reason alone, I am under no circumstances considering a SE phone. My view is that until these various platforms have matured and stabilized, Android holds the most potential for continuous support and improvement for a device that currently has probably the best hardware available, hence HTC Desire HD on Android.
Well, that was my reasoning when I selected that device - purely a personal choice.
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1092 in 696 posts
Thanks given: 286

Phone: Jolla, BB Z10, BB Passport, N950, N900, N8, Nexus 4 (Ubuntu Touch), Lumia 920

PostPosted: Thursday, 30.Dec.2010 11:01    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

I thought of intrinsic disadvantages like battery live.

I definitely wouldn't consider battery life on the N900 a disadvantage as it isn't worse than on other high-end smartphones. None of mobile devices I've used over the last year provided considerably better battery life than the N900.

After nearly 1,5 year of use, my N900's battery is now worn out a little bit (it lost about 30% of its original capacity) but even now it provides full day. I am going to replace it with a new one soon, which will again give me some 1,5 day like it was when my N900 was new. And IMHO it's maximum of what one can expect from an advanced smartphone and the only way to get more would be having a bigger battery, so I'm perfectly fine with such a result.

Quote:

Most desktop applications are not written with battery live and so having a desktop on your palm will drain you battery faster then using an OS and Apps which have been optimized for battery live.

I'm not sure if I understand what you are talking about. What desktop applications have to do with the N900? Hardly ANY application available for the N900 is ported directly from desktop without any changes. Majority of N900 apps are created from scratch for Maemo or Qt (or at least seriously re-coded with the original source only being some basis), and those ported from desktop Linux are modified to work correctly in a mobile environment.

I have nearly one hundred of packages installed and none of them does any harm to my N900's power efficiency.

Sure, there are applications which eat battery like crazy. This includes e.g. 3D games, emulators etc, but these apps are meant to eat all available CPU cycles to provide the best performance, and it looks the same on all platforms, nothing N900 specific. And the same for applications using network, Bluetooth, GPS, etc. a lot - they simply have to consume energy when in use.

Quote:

Not that my Nexus-One survives long without power cord - Android is Linux as well. Really this is an argument for Symbian.

I actually wouldn't be so sure that Symbian provides any noticeably better power efficiency than the N900. The N8 indeed lasts quite longer, but still not by a level of magnitude, and probably mainly because it's new (vs. worn out battery of my N900) and because it has an AMOLED (more power efficient) screen of considerably lower resolution and also no backlit hardware keyboard. It also has simpler CPU compared to N900's Cortex-A8 so it's a bit less power hungry, too.

Quote:

But that is it: Having a SmartPhone means recharge once a day. Simple as that.

Exactly. So it cannot be considered a drawback, which somehow contradicts what you wrote in the first paragraph of your post...

Quote:

Android holds the most potential for continuous support and improvement

And I see it this way: while Android indeed holds the most potential for continuous improvement, Maemo actually does not need that much improvements as it's already now quite mature (at least for my needs) and mainly needs continuous support and proper promotion. I said Maemo not Meego because no one still knows for sure how Meego on Nokia phones will look and work like (recently they mentioned some completely new Nokia-made UI for it) so it's hard to say anything about it. But the core OS is going to be the same like on Maemo, and it is quite mature.

Quote:

Well, that was my reasoning when I selected that device - purely a personal choice.

That's obviously a purely personal choice in my case, too, and I'm perfectly aware that other people may have completely different preferences.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> Symbian OS UIQ 3.x All times are GMT + 2 Hours

Go to page
Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic