MEEGO  SECTION
-My-MeeGo.com-
SOFTWARE STORECONTACT

My-Symbian.com Forums

My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo
Symbian & Linux based Communicator and Smartphone Info Center
The Oldest Symbian Community Website - Since 1999

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RulesRules   Log inLog in 
Lightweight, simplified version of the forumsMobile version
Maemo 6 / MeeGo

Go to page  
Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> MeeGo Harmattan
View previous topic :: View next topic  
emunator
Site supporter
Site supporter

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
6 in 6 posts
Thanks given: 4

Phone: N8, N9

PostPosted: Thursday, 03.Mar.2011 09:20    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

Why AT ALL say "Don't come tomorrow" to developers working on a platform that could SAVE Nokia....?

Don't know why and don't like it. But they have made the decision and I wasn't commenting on that. I was commenting whether the developers should know now or after the launch.
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1073 in 681 posts
Thanks given: 285

Phone: Jolla, BB Z10, BB Passport, N950, N900, N8, Nexus 4 (Ubuntu Touch), Lumia 920

PostPosted: Thursday, 03.Mar.2011 14:47    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

But they have made the decision

They can always change it if they only want to. It wouldn't be their first time.
Yorky
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
2 in 2 posts
Thanks given: 1

Phone: SE W950i, P1i, N900

PostPosted: Thursday, 03.Mar.2011 21:35    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

They ditched THE ONLY assets they had, naively believing that it is their brand (and not their mobile platforms) that's so valuable that everyone will stay with them. They were wrong.

Because the decision was made to benefit MS, not Nokia.

The following users say THANKS! for this post: gymbo

BentL

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
478 in 350 posts
Thanks given: 109

Phone: N9, N900, E90, 9300i, 9300, 9210

PostPosted: Wednesday, 09.Mar.2011 16:52    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Sebastian Nyström has been appointed to head the MeeGo team at Nokia, see blog post. Excerpt:
    Nokia appoints new head of MeeGo efforts
    When Nokia announced its new strategy on February 11th, it also announced that Alberto Torres, the head of Nokia’s MeeGo Computers, would leave the company. I thought you would want to know that Sebastian Nyström has now been appointed to head the MeeGo team at Nokia. Sebastian has been leading Qt at Nokia, making the framework available under open source, free-of-charge LGPL license and now he takes responsibility for our future MeeGo efforts.

I know some of you are going to say, why bother? Well Sebastian has been laying out the responsibilities of his role as he sees them, which I wanted to share. In a note to Nokia employees, Sebastian defined his role as:

• Launching a product from our MeeGo program later this year. We believe our upcoming device will have unique appeal to the style-conscious, connected enthusiast.
    • Keeping Nokia on track to deliver necessary software updates following launch of the product.
    • Working with the Linux Foundation, Intel and the wider community to plan Nokia’s future involvement in meego.com.

I know there was great disappointment in the MeeGo community, at Nokia’s decision. Many of us have gone through an emotional journey ourselves. I’m personally happy to see Sebastian helping us to complete the evolution of our previous Maemo and now MeeGo efforts to an exciting product. You will see more of Sebastian in the coming weeks when we are preparing our participation in the MeeGo Conference in San Francisco.

Peter Schneider
    Head of MeeGo Marketing at Nokia
--
Bent Laursen
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1073 in 681 posts

Phone: Jolla, BB Z10, BB Passport, N950, N900, N8, Nexus 4 (Ubuntu Touch), Lumia 920

PostPosted: Wednesday, 09.Mar.2011 18:58    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

It is really great to see that they changed their plans regarding MeeGo and Symbian.

It's only such a shame that first such a damage has been done to these platforms by Nokia's announcements of ditching them, only to now try to withdraw from those statements when they realised that without MeeGo and Symbian they have NOTHING to offer over the next year or maybe two.

They should have known it right from the start, before the harm was done....

Anyway, good luck. We all keep our fingers crossed...

The following users say THANKS! for this post: gymbo, BentL

jad
Site supporter
Site supporter

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
0 in 0 posts
Thanks given: 31

Phone: N9 E7, N900, C6-01, N95

PostPosted: Thursday, 10.Mar.2011 05:44    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

So, they have realized their wayward ways again .. As you have said Michal, they realized only AFTER damage has been done .. Oh well, enjoying my N900 and E7 while hoping more good than bad happens .. Such loyalty from loyalists, Nokia MUST learn well from this episode and REMEMBER WELL their end, of their partnership with THEIR CUSTOMERS!!! How many more times are they going to screw up?
BentL

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
478 in 350 posts

PostPosted: Thursday, 10.Mar.2011 17:14    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

There will be some changes to the architecture of MeeGo, see MeeGo Developer List. Excerpt:
    Some architecture changes (MSSF / Buteo / PIM storage)
    Given the events of the last few weeks, the MeeGo architects have, and still are, revisiting various parts of the MeeGo architecture. While I'd love to say that we have the whole situation clear, the reality is that there still is a very complex situation. In part because just not everything is clear yet around "who" and "what", and in part because various parts of the MeeGo OS architecture are very tightly coupled... it's not like MIkkado where you can pull out one stick at a time.

Having said that, three items are currently clear enough to make a final decision on:

1) MSSF / MeeGo security framework
    2) Buteo Sync
    3) PIM storage (currently stored in the tracker database)

Security
    The security direction of MeeGo has been broken up into two different focuses: short-term and long-term.In the short term, we want to complete the development of key portions of the Mobile Simplified Security Framework that allow us to have complete solutions around the areas of Access Control, Integrity and Security Software Distribution.This will not entail *all* of the pieces that have previously been discussed in these areas, but instead will include a minimum subset of features that allow a coherent story across all key security areas. For MeeGo 1.2 specifically, this means that we're not planning on integrating the MSSF pieces that invasive or incomplete at this point, such as the "upstart" integration that was communicated on this list previously.

In the long-term, we will re-evaluate the direction we are taking with MeeGo security with a new focus on *End-User Privacy*. While we do not intend to immediately remove the security enabling technologies we have been including in MeeGo, all security technologies will be re-examined with this new focus in mind. We will revisit technology choices made for MSSF (as well as non-MSSF components that have security implications) and make appropriate changes in these areas given this direction change.

Buteo Sync
    The Buteo Sync framework in MeeGo is currently very incomplete; various promised and needed components never materialized, and are unlikely to materialize in the future. On the Intel side, we've found that we ended up glueing SyncEvolution into Buteo on a regular basis to fulfill basic customer requirements (like sync-with-google-address-book).

Because of this, and the available expertise, we have decided to start replacing Buteo with SyncEvolution. For MeeGo 1.2, it's not currently clear if the engineering work that this entails will be done in time, so 1.2 might still ship with Buteo. However, Buteo is removed as architectural component effective immediately to avoid creating an API/ABI promise for a component that we know is being replaced

SyncEvolution is an existing mature open source project with a history of functionality and compatibility, and we're confident that the switch to this project will benefit Sync in MeeGo for years to come.

PIM storage
    The Address book, Calendar data and Email are currently stored in a tracker database, and accessed (officially) via a QtMobility API set. There are a range of issues with this implementation, starting with the complexity of adding privacy controls, the performance and scalability as well as the completeness for doing a proper syncml sync.

Because of all these items and the available expertise, we have decided to start replacing PIM storage with the Evolution Data Server. This change will land together with the SyncEvolution change (due to the intimate relationship between the storage and sync of PIM data). This change should largely be invisible to applications since applications are supposed to access this data via the appropriate QtMobility APIs. But to avoid setting precedents, the lower level components will be removed from the architecture diagrams effective immediately.

To be clear, this does not mean that "tracker" is completely removed; tracker is still being used (together with tumbler) for indexing media on the device. At this point we are seeing serious issues (performance/stability) with this solution, but the first attempt will be to fix the deficiencies rather than a replacement.
--
Bent Laursen

Last edited by BentL on Friday, 11.Mar.2011 09:31; edited 2 times in total
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1073 in 681 posts

PostPosted: Thursday, 10.Mar.2011 18:04    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

Security

Let's keep our fingers crossed that this thing does not turn into a new incarnation of Symbian Signed.

Between 2000 and 2006 I was securely using Symbian devices, with no single security problem. So they introduced Symbian Signed, to make a 100% secure thing "even more secure". We all know the effects.

Since mid 2009 I've been using totally secure Maemo device, so now they are going to introduce security technologies to "make it even more secure". It's time to start worrying.
ceroberts75
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
79 in 45 posts
Thanks given: 40

Phone: n9, n900, e90, 5800, e71-1, 9500, 7710, 2660

PostPosted: Friday, 11.Mar.2011 08:38    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

agreed!

Sad
BentL

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
478 in 350 posts

PostPosted: Thursday, 17.Mar.2011 17:36    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

There is apparently still something called Harmattan, see program for the MeeGo 2011 Conference in San Francisco. Excerpt:
    Harmattan in the MeeGo community

Session Summary:
    Nokia is working on the release of a product this year, expected to raise the interest of the MeeGo community. It comes with an OS codenamed Harmattan that is API compatible with MeeGo 1.2. Let's have a look at the peculiarities of Harmattan, and how to overcome them for the benefit of the MeeGo community. There have been discussions on whether community apps packaged for Harmattan should be available at the meego.com Apps catalog, or whether Harmattan should have an own product in bugs.meego.com as a 3rd party open source project. This session is a good chance to explain the discussions and conclusions (if any at that point) around these topics.

Session Abstract:
    The relationship between Harmattan and the MeeGo project is expected to be clarified before the MeeGo Conference. No matter what this session will be useful to get a clear idea about frequently asked questions like:

• What will be the official name of Harmattan in Nokia products?
    • Why Harmattan is not exactly MeeGo and what are the differences?
    • Why MeeGo developers and contributors should care about Harmattan?
    • What are the opportunities & challenges of hosting Harmattan related open source activities in the MeeGo infrastructure?
    • Where should Harmattan bugs be filed?
    • Where should Harmattan community apps be published?
    • Are Harmattan specific discussions on-topic in forum.meego.com?

More questions are welcome. The idea is to explain the current status of these discussions. If there are items open at the time of the conference this session might be useful to nail down the main points. Eventually a BoF could emerge from it if needed.

This session is targeting a generic community audience and development skills are not required. We will not attempt to go into technical details about the SDK, packaging, etc, since we assume that other sessions will cover this. Our main focus will be the impact of Harmattan in the MeeGo community processes and infrastructure.
Harmattan and MeeGo are apparently not exactly the same thing, i.e. Nokia has its own version of MeeGo.

--
Bent Laursen

The following users say THANKS! for this post: gymbo

Casanunda
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
52 in 48 posts
Thanks given: 315

Phone: n900, Jolla

PostPosted: Thursday, 17.Mar.2011 18:26    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

fascinating how unclear and mysterious Nokia can be on a project that is closely related to such an open source project as Meego...

What are they trying to do? make us all wait in awe for another year because surely "this time, that device and OS will be just perfect" ? Rolling Eyes

I'm still hoping for the miracle, but Nokia has not exactly been supporting N900 fans lately...
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1073 in 681 posts

PostPosted: Thursday, 17.Mar.2011 19:02    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:
There is apparently still something called Harmattan

Well, it's probably because while the 'core' MeeGo OS is 'quite finished', the UXes (especially the Handset UX) somehow don't keep up with it. In order to release a functional product this year, I guess that Nokia must have created their own UX, either completely different than the 'official' unfinished Handset UX, or at least based on it and adding the missing (not yet ready) parts.

It looked similarly with the Tablet UX some time ago. Makers of WeTab, which was the first tablet based on MeeGo, had to create their own "WeTab OS" UI because the Tablet UX wasn't ready yet at that time.

So Nokia's Harmattan is probably something like WeTab - a 'custom' UX running on top of normal MeeGo 1.2 OS, made because the official Handset UX still isn't complete.

The following users say THANKS! for this post: Casanunda, Hapsis

ceroberts75
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
79 in 45 posts
Thanks given: 40

Phone: n9, n900, e90, 5800, e71-1, 9500, 7710, 2660

PostPosted: Saturday, 19.Mar.2011 02:23    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

not sure if this was posted, but more companies are coming on board with meego.

http://www.meegoexperts.com/2011/03/intelchina-mobilelge-nokia-join-me ego-handset-tsg-companies-ivi-smart-tv/

The following users say THANKS! for this post: Casanunda

debernardis
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Thanks received:
3 in 1 posts
Thanks given: 0

Phone: N900, E51

PostPosted: Wednesday, 23.Mar.2011 20:48    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Michal Jerz wrote:
[...]
Let's keep our fingers crossed that this thing does not turn into a new incarnation of Symbian Signed.

When Nokia and other players speak security, they don't mean your or my security, the security of our data or our os agains rootkits. I bet they mean drm c.r.a.p., jailed os. Basically selling you the phone, selling you the software, selling you the permission to listen to music, selling you the permission to access news pages and the so.
Like Microsoft's "play for sure" the only thing that's meant to be sure is to have an access to your wallet.

The following users say THANKS! for this post: Michal Jerz, ceroberts75, Casanunda

Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1073 in 681 posts

PostPosted: Thursday, 24.Mar.2011 01:49    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

..... that's what I am afraid of....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> MeeGo Harmattan All times are GMT + 2 Hours

Go to page  
Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10

Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic