MEEGO  SECTION
-My-MeeGo-
SOFTWARE STORECONTACT

My-Symbian.com Forums

My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo
Symbian & Linux based Communicator and Smartphone Info Center
The Oldest Symbian Community Website - Since 1999

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RulesRules   Log inLog in 
Lightweight, simplified version of the forumsMobile version
N900 vs. Android

Go to page  
Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13

Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> Maemo 5 Fremantle
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1098 in 699 posts
Thanks given: 286

Phone: Jolla, BB Z10, BB Passport, N950, N900, N8, Nexus 4 (Ubuntu Touch), Lumia 920

PostPosted: Monday, 14.Feb.2011 09:34    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

Because he compared it with the iPhone app markets saying things are better there

Must be my tired eyesight or something, but as far as I can see he wrote "very much like the iTunes store". IMHO "much like" <> "worse than".
krischik
Forum Senior
Forum Senior

Thanks received:
11 in 6 posts
Thanks given: 21

Phone: Nexus One, p990i, p900

PostPosted: Monday, 14.Feb.2011 09:46    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Michal Jerz wrote:
Must be my tired eyesight

No, must be my tired eyesight yesterday. Today I see the same as well . Embarassed
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1098 in 699 posts

Phone: Jolla, BB Z10, BB Passport, N950, N900, N8, Nexus 4 (Ubuntu Touch), Lumia 920

PostPosted: Monday, 14.Feb.2011 11:08    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Smile
dannycamps
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
86 in 57 posts
Thanks given: 9

Phone: Nokia 9000i, Nokia 9290, Nokia 9500, Nokia E90, Nokia N900, Nokia E7, Nokia Lumia 920, Nokia Lumia 1520

PostPosted: Monday, 14.Feb.2011 14:35    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

And you are both right. The higher number of apps definitely means more people just trying to cash in and more [put your favorite swearword here]. And I would much rather prefer the more open ecosystem and store versus the Apple route.

For the record, with the exception of the Ovi store, I would probably think that nothing is worse than the iTunes store Smile
krischik
Forum Senior
Forum Senior

Thanks received:
11 in 6 posts

PostPosted: Tuesday, 15.Feb.2011 20:44    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:
Yes, that is the one which has cost $50 last I looked. if it is now one dollar I have a look again.

So I did pay the dollar - or €. But I think it was wasted. NOKIA want to have the Apps Java verified. If there is anything more useless then Symbian Signed then it is Java verified.

Good news is that they sign it for me so I don't need to spend $250 for the certificate. Bad news I still need to provide all the documentation. I would have to spend €500 … € 1000 of my quality time to produce that.

No way. I rather spend the time on my next Android application.
krischik
Forum Senior
Forum Senior

Thanks received:
11 in 6 posts

PostPosted: Tuesday, 15.Feb.2011 21:37    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

On the other hand: Handango and Pocketgear have streamlined there process. Now you only need to upload once for both shops.
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1098 in 699 posts

PostPosted: Tuesday, 15.Feb.2011 22:25    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

On the other hand: Handango and Pocketgear have streamlined there process. Now you only need to upload once for both shops.

The question is who still uploads there. Handango is another company that lost such a GIANT chance. For so many years they weren't even able to create any decent mobile version of their store, besides that hopeless InHand client...

BTW. Martin, check your PM box. I sent you a message days ago. Still unread.
krischik
Forum Senior
Forum Senior

Thanks received:
11 in 6 posts

PostPosted: Wednesday, 16.Feb.2011 08:42    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Michal Jerz wrote:
The question is who still uploads there.

Just uploaded an update to make my app more N8 friendly. That NOKIAs have no menu button is a real pain.

Michal Jerz wrote:
Handango is another company that lost such a GIANT chance.

Probably the reason they have been bough by Pocketgear. Strangely there new unified upload is based on Handango Technology. No case of “Not invented here syndrome”

And even more surprising: They managed to merge both my accounts almost flawlessly.

Compare that with Ovi which send my submission back because the Vendor name in MANIFEST.MF and HP45-Mobile.jad did not match. Two files the end user never looks at and no other shop ever took offence in.

Easy to fix but I made take a closer look at the submission guideline. You saw my other posting about that one…
Casanunda
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
52 in 48 posts
Thanks given: 326

Phone: n900, Jolla

PostPosted: Wednesday, 16.Feb.2011 13:24    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

krischik,
just a curious question from a non-developer,
you stated several times that you stopped developing for Symbian and have moved on to Android.
Is the actual process of programming easier for Android, or is the problem really only the distribution, i.e. Ovi Store?
krischik
Forum Senior
Forum Senior

Thanks received:
11 in 6 posts

PostPosted: Wednesday, 16.Feb.2011 21:10    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Casanunda wrote:
Is the actual process of programming easier for Android, or is the problem really only the distribution, i.e. Ovi Store?

First of all: The apps I program I use myself and I don't have any Symbian Phones any more.

Nevertheless I still maintain the Apps. Only this weekend I a fix for N8 compatibility. So I have not abandoned my users.

I test them in the Emulator and via remote access. Remote access is one of the few nice things from NOKIA.

Programming language

I develop in Java for both platforms and I must say that Android is a lot nice to develop.

You can use the more modern Jave 1.6 instead of the 10 year old Java 1.3.

If I where using C++ (which too is possible with Android) the situation would be similar: Symbian C++ is also very old as well.

Debugging

Next comes hunting for errors. Android comes with a log framework and full debugger support and easy on device debugging.

Symbian comes without log and with debugger which is quite difficult to set-up. I never did on device debugging on Symbian. It was easier to develop an Desktop GUI for the application and debug there.

Customers get the desktop app as well if they only ask for it.

Deployment

Then comes the shops. In some respect they are all a pain. They all want different marketing informations, have different text formats.

Setting up the apps in a new shop takes a day. But for Ovi it already takes longer then usually. I had to rescale the screen-shots because they need to be 256x256. Square Shots.

And in the end Ovi rejected the App. Three shops accepted the App. 4 Star ratings on the Android Market. Ovi rejects it.

Maintenance

But you also want to provide your customers with updates. Say what you want about the Googles Android market. Uploading the updates only takes a few minutes.

On Symbian it is more work. You have to type in the Version number separately instead of extracting it from the upload. Separate OTA and Desktop download. No release history.

But the really bad thing is: In most Symbian Shops the users won't actually be notified that there is an update. On Android they get it strait to the device.

Profit

Now after all that comes the last part: Sales and Returns.

For returns I have a blog entry.

And for Sales it might be time to create one. But lets get a quick number. Since 03.08 I sold about 250 units on Handango (≅ 7 per month) and since 06.2010 I sold 1100 units on Android Market (≅ 130 per month).

Summery

Developing for Symbian is more pain and for less gain.
willstay
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Thanks received:
0 in 0 posts
Thanks given: 0

Phone: SGS2

PostPosted: Sunday, 02.Oct.2011 20:07    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

No one ever referenced term "ecosystem" then, not even "app store". It was such a stone era then, I had to write my own small app to store passwords for symbian. Android has spoilt me, when I set my gears to write a pocket finance app, I found few all free and I lost interest to pursue. From my limited development experience for symbian and Android, I must say Android is LOT flexible, gives you magic ball so you can create anything you wish for.
jamesbalfour
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Please add your avatar!
Currently banned

Thanks received:
0 in 0 posts
Thanks given: 0

Phone: SAMSUNG GALAXY Y

PostPosted: Friday, 16.Dec.2011 12:45    Post subject: (N900 vs Android)   Reply with quote   

well im not a nokia fanboy by any means, and its nice to see people happy with their choices, but for me the n900 is everything ive ever wanted and some! and maemo beats android on every level (for my needs),
its so perfect for me that i dont even see why people keep banging on about the next FW release!
maybe its because i researched before buying the device
and found the n900 would suit my needs more, if more people did that we wouldnt have so many 'i hate my phone' threads,
not that im accusing this thread of being one by any means
Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> Maemo 5 Fremantle All times are GMT + 2 Hours

Go to page  
Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13
Page 13 of 13

Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic