MEEGO  SECTION
-My-MeeGo.com-
SOFTWARE STORECONTACT

My-Symbian.com Forums

My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo
Symbian & Linux based Communicator and Smartphone Info Center
The Oldest Symbian Community Website - Since 1999

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RulesRules   Log inLog in 
Lightweight, simplified version of the forumsMobile version
impressive improvements in Pr 1.2

Go to page
1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> MeeGo Harmattan
View previous topic :: View next topic  
D_G
Site supporter
Site supporter

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
0 in 0 posts
Thanks given: 0

Phone: N9

PostPosted: Thursday, 26.Jan.2012 06:18    Post subject: impressive improvements in Pr 1.2   Reply with quote   

http://www.gsmarena.com/n9_pr12_beta_versions_changelog_leaks-news-371 6.php

wow..the list is very impressive..
detten
Site supporter
Site supporter

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
16 in 15 posts
Thanks given: 5

PostPosted: Thursday, 26.Jan.2012 09:47    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Thanks for the link, very impressive indeed!
And they finally fixed the google talk authentication bug : http://harmattan-bugs.nokia.com/show_bug.cgi?id=109 Smile
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1088 in 693 posts
Thanks given: 285

Phone: Jolla, BB Z10, BB Passport, N950, N900, N8, Nexus 4 (Ubuntu Touch), Lumia 920

PostPosted: Thursday, 26.Jan.2012 11:09    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

I've been playing with the update on my N950 for a couple of hours. It's smooth and the improvements are really nice.

Folders are really useful and done in a good way, but they look ugly and are hard to spot. They should have more distinguishable icons.

A partial improvement is that if you close an app started from the Launcher (apps list home screen) then it goes back to the Launcher, not to the empty (and useless in such case) Switcher screen showing "Nothing open yet". But if while using that app you switch between screens and then go back to the app using the Switcher, after you close that app it'll go to the Switcher screen, even if no other apps are running, so you'll still be seeing just "Nothing open yet". So this is a partial fix.

DLNA sharing works really fine. There is a decidated Settings page in Settings/Device. Once you enable sharing for different types of media, it will just work all the time and status can be shown in the status bar.

Web browser got history below the Top sites list. Thanks to folders support, now it is also possible to have bookmarks - just create a folder called Bookmarks and move bookmark icons there...

Regarding the modified font size, I liked the old one better.

There are also some other UI tweaks, e.g. if there are several buttons then the "default" one has a different color. In Settings there is also an option to choose between color schemes changing some UI colors. Black&white, magenta and cyan schemes are available. In the default color scheme, menus are now gray. I preferred white menus, so I'll have to see which .css file holds the color and change it manually.

Ovi store update notifications finally work again (they worked in Beta1, then stopped working, now they're fixed). I already got two notifications and updated the apps.

Email client got threaded view - quite useful.

Copy and paste now is almost system-wide. For example, you can now select and copy text in the web browser. Tap and hold, then move your finger to select text, then choose "Copy" from the context menu that pops up. Paste the same way.

The UI got some sounds. Closing and app (swiping down), receiving a file via Bluetooth or when download is complete, etc. have nice sound effects.

There is now a compass in the Maps application - quite nice.

Videos can now be edited in the Gallery app. You can trim the movie (move sliders from the left and right to cut parts of the video) and mute or replace (with a custom sound file) the audio.

There is now a separate switch in Settings / Internet connection to allow or disallow automatic connections while roaming.

There is now a "Home screen" applet in Settings/Applications, with options to set a custom wallpaper or animated sine waves for the home screen. I guess this allows custom animated backgrouds, too... There is also a slider to set brightness and blur of the background picture/animation.

In Applications/Web, there is finally a setting to make the browser remember passwords.

In Applications/Messages there is an option to choose emoticon theme. Only one is installed by default, but it simply allows custom emoticon sets.

Gallery and camera got face recognition. I haven't tested it yet. If enabled in gallery, it will automatically save names to photos by recognizing the faces on images.

Contacts got an option to "Prefer nickname" rather than first/last name.

Web feeds can now be shown in Notifications.

The Camera app got self timer (2 or 10 seconds). You can also enable/disable grid.

Gallery got additional people view showing photos tagged with a name.

Music player now supports audio books, podcasts, playlists and deleting audio files.

Calendar now has a live icon by default, showing the day number.

Web browser feels snappier - maybe due to new WebKit version.

I haven't experienced any problems so far. Developer mode works OK, no problem with becoming root. Compatibility seems to be full - I reinstalled all apps and everything works fine. Skype is still not included in N950 firmware, but the package from the repository installs and works fine.

If I notice any further changes, I'll let you know.

Last edited by Michal Jerz on Friday, 27.Jan.2012 02:28; edited 1 time in total

The following users say THANKS! for this post: cddiede, joksanen

Sin Ogaris
Site supporter
Site supporter

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
1 in 1 posts
Thanks given: 6

Phone: Nokia N9

PostPosted: Thursday, 26.Jan.2012 11:53    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Sigh.

And I STILL haven't got PR1.1, that list of changes sounds absolutely amazing but God only knows when I'll be able to experience it (I really have to save up and buy a 64GB, I want the white one but it it's about as rare as a unicorn).
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1088 in 693 posts

Phone: Jolla, BB Z10, BB Passport, N950, N900, N8, Nexus 4 (Ubuntu Touch), Lumia 920

PostPosted: Thursday, 26.Jan.2012 12:01    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

And I STILL haven't got PR1.1

I guess you can always reflash your N9 with the generic firmware version. It only takes changing the product code and then using NSU (Nokia Software Updater) for flashing...

Regarding PR1.2, if no serious bugs are found in the N950 release (which serves as a beta), I guess it won't take them long to release it for the N9. IIRC, the PR1.1 release for the N9 came out quite quickly after the N950 one.
Sin Ogaris
Site supporter
Site supporter

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
1 in 1 posts
Thanks given: 6

PostPosted: Thursday, 26.Jan.2012 12:25    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

I've been avoiding reflashing because I don't want to lose all the progress in the games I'm playing. Lame reason, but yeah, that's why.

That and I don't have nokia link (still on Win XP) so I'm not 100% sure where I can sync my contacts and information to to quickly transfer back.
ch.saqib
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
14 in 12 posts
Thanks given: 17

Phone: NOKIA N9,NOKIA C5-03,NOKIA E52

PostPosted: Thursday, 26.Jan.2012 13:11    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Sin Ogaris wrote:
That and I don't have nokia link (still on Win XP) so I'm not 100% sure where I can sync my contacts and information to to quickly transfer back.

You can have Nokia Link on your windows XP or Vista. It is available at Beta labs...
D_G
Site supporter
Site supporter

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
0 in 0 posts

PostPosted: Thursday, 26.Jan.2012 13:14    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Michal Jerz wrote:
I've been playing with the update on my N950 for a couple of hours. It's smooth and the improvements are really nice.

Folders are really useful and done in a good way, but they look ugly and are hard to spot. They should have more distinguishable icons.

A partial improvement is that if you close an app started from the Launcher (apps list home screen) then it goes back to the Launcher, not to the empty (and useless in such case) Switcher screen showing "Nothing open yet". But if while using that app you switch between screens and then go back to the app using the Switcher, after you close that app it'll go to the Switcher screen, even if no other apps are running, so you'll still be seeing just "Nothing open yet". So this is a partial fix.

DLNA sharing works really fine. There is a decidated Settings page in Settings/Device. Once you enable sharing for different types of media, it will just work all the time and status can be shown in the status bar.

Web browser got history below the Top sites list. Thanks to folders support, now it is also possible to have bookmarks - just create a folder called Bookmarks and move bookmark icons there...

Regarding the modified font size, I liked the old one better.

There are also some other UI tweaks, e.g. if there are several buttons then the "default" one has a different color. In Settings there is also an option to choose between color schemes changing some UI colors. Black&white, magenta and cyan schemes are available. In the default color scheme, menus are now gray. I preferred white menus, so I'll have to see which .css file holds the color and change it manually.

Ovi store update notifications finally work again (they worked in Beta1, then stopped working, now they're fixed). I already got two notifications and updated the apps.

Email client got threaded view - quite useful.

Copy and paste now is almost system-wide. For example, you can now select and copy text in the web browser. Tap and hold, then move your finger to select text, then choose "Copy" from the context menu that pops up. Paste the same way.

The UI got some sounds. Closing and app (swiping down), receiving a file via Bluetooth or when download is complete, etc. have nice sound effects.

There is now a compass in the Maps application - quite nice.

Videos can now be edited in the Gallery app. You can trim the movie (move sliders from the left and right to cut parts of the video) and mute or replace (with a custom sound file) the audio.

There is now a separate switch in Settings / Internet connection to allow or disallow automatic connections while roaming.

There is now a "Home screen" applet in Settings/Applications, with options to hide weather, show white text only, and also set a custom wallpaper or animated sine waves for the home screen. I guess this allows custom animated backgrouds, too... There is also a slider to set brightness of the background picture/animation.

In Applications/Web, there is finally a setting to make the browser remember passwords.

In Applications/Messages there is an option to choose emoticon theme. Only one is installed by default, but it simply allows custom emoticon sets.

Gallery and camera got face recognition. I haven't tested it yet. If enabled in gallery, it will automatically save names to photos by recognizing the faces on images.

Contacts got an option to "Prefer nickname" rather than first/last name.

Web feeds can now be shown in Notifications.

The Camera app got self timer (2 or 10 seconds). You can also enable/disable grid.

Gallery got additional people view showing photos tagged with a name.

Music player now supports audio books, podcasts, playlists and deleting audio files.

Calendar now has a live icon by default, showing the day number.

Web browser feels snappier - maybe due to new WebKit version.

I haven't experienced any problems so far. Developer mode works OK, no problem with becoming root. Compatibility seems to be full - I reinstalled all apps and everything works fine. Skype is still not included in N950 firmware, but the package from the repository installs and works fine.

If I notice any further changes, I'll let you know.

wow..just wow...amazing..its like a new device on its own...too much spoiling by nokia Laughing
i may have to get the white one for my wife in the near future...just too good...

2 questions:

-you mentioned copy and paste. did you try to copy text from hotmail messages?

-geo tagging. its currently not working or im not doing something right as my photos dont show location of picture taken even if geo.tag. function is on!!!!

thanks michal but the update sounds like a real WOW!
D_G
Site supporter
Site supporter

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
0 in 0 posts

PostPosted: Thursday, 26.Jan.2012 13:17    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

cant wait for DLNA functionality and face recognition..besides video calling etc....

detten mentioned Gtalk works on N9. is it natively or through the weblink? if natively, how to go to it?

through google option under accounts app?

a bit confused..never tried its video chat but people said you can use the video chat on G.talk
Watchmaker
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Thanks received:
0 in 0 posts
Thanks given: 10

PostPosted: Thursday, 26.Jan.2012 13:33    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Really looking forward for this update after reading your review Michal!! Very Happy
cddiede
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Thanks received:
0 in 0 posts
Thanks given: 4

Phone: 9290, 9500, Nokia E90, N900, N9

PostPosted: Thursday, 26.Jan.2012 15:46    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

So does it just now have a DLNA server, or is it finally also a DLNA client? If so, do the DLNA sources appear in the video player, or gallery, or where?
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1088 in 693 posts

PostPosted: Thursday, 26.Jan.2012 21:29    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

-you mentioned copy and paste. did you try to copy text from hotmail messages?

I haven't tested it with hotmail because I don't have a hotmail account. But I tried it with a HTML email and it worked fine.

Quote:

-geo tagging. its currently not working or im not doing something right as my photos dont show location of picture taken even if geo.tag. function is on!!!!

I believe that for geo tags to be stored you need to have both Internet connection and GPS fix. Maybe when the picture is taken the GPS receiver does not yet have a fix?

Quote:

detten mentioned Gtalk works on N9. is it natively or through the weblink? if natively, how to go to it?

Google Talk account is supported by the Accounts app. So you simply add a GTalk account in the Accounts app and then it is available just like e.g. Skype.

Quote:

So does it just now have a DLNA server, or is it finally also a DLNA client? If so, do the DLNA sources appear in the video player, or gallery, or where?

It looks that it's a DLNA *server* only. My TV and Bluray player (Samsung BD-C8500) can see the N9 and play its videos/music without any problems. So far I wasn't able to find any trace of a DLNA client functionality. Other DLNA devices do NOT show up in Music or Video player and I can't find any options to enable it.

The following users say THANKS! for this post: cddiede

Watchmaker
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Thanks received:
0 in 0 posts
Thanks given: 10

PostPosted: Friday, 27.Jan.2012 04:47    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

There's one thing I forgot to ask... is it possible to assign a custom ringtone to a group instead of a single user only?
ceroberts75
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
79 in 45 posts
Thanks given: 40

Phone: n9, n900, e90, 5800, e71-1, 9500, 7710, 2660

PostPosted: Friday, 27.Jan.2012 06:20    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

sin...

just find where the db files are for the games, and backup those folders, then flash.

Wink
SamKB
Site supporter
Site supporter

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
65 in 44 posts
Thanks given: 1

PostPosted: Friday, 27.Jan.2012 06:25    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Highly impressive. Somebody inside Nokia is taking care of MeeGo after all. With these improvements it beats WP7.5 flat, not that it isn't superior before this.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> MeeGo Harmattan All times are GMT + 2 Hours

Go to page
1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic

Posting/discussing/exchanging warez/cracks/serial numbers/links to web sites offering such resources and/or any other illegal content
is FORBIDDEN on this forum and results in an immediate BAN.

Symbian and all Symbian-based marks and logos are trade marks of Symbian Software Limited.
This website is not in any way endorsed or supported by Symbian Software Limited.    (C) 2001 My-Symbian.com All Rights Reserved