MEEGO  SECTION
-My-MeeGo.com-
SOFTWARE STORECONTACT

My-Symbian.com Forums

My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo
Symbian & Linux based Communicator and Smartphone Info Center
The Oldest Symbian Community Website - Since 1999

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RulesRules   Log inLog in 
Lightweight, simplified version of the forumsMobile version
Who still uses their UIQ3 device?

Go to page
Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> Symbian OS UIQ 3.x
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1088 in 693 posts
Thanks given: 285

Phone: Jolla, BB Z10, BB Passport, N950, N900, N8, Nexus 4 (Ubuntu Touch), Lumia 920

PostPosted: Thursday, 10.Feb.2011 20:15    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

On my daily commute I can see a P910i beeing used.

P910 was (is) a great phone. I loved UIQ 2 (much more than UIQ 3) and I loved the design of P900/P910. Give it modern hardware inside (3G, good camera, WLAN b/g/n, faster processor, etc.) and I would be REALLY happy to still use it.

There is something about UIQ 2 that makes it look and work much better on QVGA screen than S60 on nHD.

Another device I really loved when it comes to design was the P990.
AnotherGuest
DEVELOPER
DEVELOPER

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
32 in 17 posts
Thanks given: 0

Phone: P910, N-Gage, P990, M600, 6680, N70, N80, U300

PostPosted: Friday, 11.Feb.2011 10:34    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

I think its the font and icon design. Smile Even the p1i looks more updated than current nokias. But I still want a C7. Or any Symbian ^3 before they are gone.

The following users say THANKS! for this post: gymbo

Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1088 in 693 posts
Thanks given: 285

Phone: Jolla, BB Z10, BB Passport, N950, N900, N8, Nexus 4 (Ubuntu Touch), Lumia 920

PostPosted: Friday, 11.Feb.2011 16:37    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

I think its the font and icon design.

Yes, it's simple things that usually make huge difference...

Quote:

But I still want a C7. Or any Symbian ^3 before they are gone.

I really don't know what I want now. It is all completely hopeless.
gikku
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Thanks received:
0 in 0 posts

Phone: N73, E65, M600i

PostPosted: Sunday, 13.Feb.2011 11:46    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

still using my M600i, occasionally. Very Happy
still a great phone.
zak.mok
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
1 in 1 posts
Thanks given: 2

Phone: p900i, p1i, p800

PostPosted: Sunday, 06.Mar.2011 15:07    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

I'm still using my p990i since april 2007

I'm happy with it.

I try to chnage to many phones like Iphone, htc, N97 and BB but everytime time I go back to my p990i within less than a week with EXTRA love to it

finally, I'm sorry to say I will divorce it as soon as I can get better phone with Android OS

thanks for this great subject

The following users say THANKS! for this post: ajack

ajack
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
23 in 10 posts
Thanks given: 22

Phone: P800, P990, P1i, N900, Xperia Pro

PostPosted: Monday, 07.Mar.2011 19:20    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Michal Jerz wrote:
[...]

P910 was (is) a great phone. I loved UIQ 2 (much more than UIQ 3) and I loved the design of P900/P910. Give it modern hardware inside (3G, good camera, WLAN b/g/n, faster processor, etc.) and I would be REALLY happy to still use it.

There is something about UIQ 2 that makes it look and work much better on QVGA screen than S60 on nHD.

Another device I really loved when it comes to design was the P990.

To me, UIQ2 was the best platform... ever! of all the Symbian flavors... It was downhill once they introduced UIQ3 and the signed app [put your favorite swearword here]... I UIQ2 with updated hardware would have been great... too bad SE shifted strategy to Android and Nokia killed UIQ (b@$tards!) and we now have an aging Symbian OS.
zak.mok
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
1 in 1 posts
Thanks given: 2

Phone: p900i, p1i, p800

PostPosted: Tuesday, 08.Mar.2011 08:28    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

ajack wrote:
[...]

To me, UIQ2 was the best platform... ever! of all the Symbian flavors... It was downhill once they introduced UIQ3 and the signed app [put your favorite swearword here]... I UIQ2 with updated hardware would have been great... too bad SE shifted strategy to Android and Nokia killed UIQ (b@$tards!) and we now have an aging Symbian OS.

I agree with you that is UIQ2 is better than UIQ3 and it was the best OS
Alibi
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Thanks received:
0 in 0 posts
Thanks given: 3

Phone: SonyEricsson p1i

PostPosted: Wednesday, 01.Jun.2011 21:38    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

I have just rebooted my old P1i about a week ago and been playing with it almost everyday....and that is why I am back at this forum! Cool
Got a rush of nostalgia and powered it up, got a backup of my old Sms, did a total reset and plugged in one of my sim-cards...

Looooooooving it!!!!!!!! I Love You

My regular phone is a White Iphone 4 32Gb....

Kind of thinking of re-building a SonyEricsson 800 with a Iphone 3gS....the screen is 0,5 inches to big on the 3gS to fit so we'll see Razz
sir_issaa_newton
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Thanks received:
0 in 0 posts

Phone: m600i,w960i

PostPosted: Tuesday, 14.Jun.2011 12:33    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

I'm still using my m600i, recently the button on the left side stopped working so i buyed xperia x8 and... I sold it. Right now I'm waiting for the w960i with bst-40 battery. This phone has all i need, even more than i need.
shadeybeep
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
0 in 0 posts

Phone: Sony Ericsson G900

PostPosted: Friday, 29.Jul.2011 17:46    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

I still use my Sony G900.

I think there really are only 2 reasons I keep on using it.. First, I love the size and shape.. I love having a physical numeric keyboard (instead of qwerty) while ALSO having a touch screen. There are a few Nokia's like this now, but they're using an OS that cannot multitask.. That just won't work for me.

The second reason is Aquacalendar, though they did make this for S60 as well so I suppose I would be fine with that as well. It's the only calendar program I've ever found that can use categories (color coded), will actually transfer the categories back and forth with outlook (only when used along with Aquasync, but I have that too), AND shows text in month view. I love this calendar.

I'm actually facing an issue with this right now. I bought a new G900 to replace my old one, as my old one has firmware that will not allow me to remove the 2 additional chinese languages, lunar calendar, and chinese dictionary that are eating up pretty much all of my internal memory. Also my touch screen won't calibrate properly anymore. The problem is that Aquacalendar linked their unlock keys to the phone's IMEI number, so even though I purchased this program legally, I can not use it on a different phone. The company appears to be out of business, so there is no longer any support. So now I'm stuck. I can buy it again for 35 dollars, but I'm just not willing to pay twice for the same program.

So, if anyone knows how to crack aquacalendar 5.4 so that it will work on a different imei number, let me know. Sigh. Or, if anyone knows of a way that I can delete chinese, lunar calendar, and the chinese dictionary from my old phone..

I've been thinking a lot about switching to a new phone, but I have yet to find one that I like as much as the g900. What I would REALLY like is if someone could take the g900, replace the cpu, add more RAM and internal memory, and replace the camera with a better one.. then put it all back together. I want a new phone in this same body.
theos
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Thanks received:
0 in 0 posts

Phone: P990i

PostPosted: Sunday, 31.Jul.2011 04:58    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

shadeybeep, you cold change your phones' CDA to World Generic, as I think that would remove those chinese localisations that bother you.

I can't recall the name of the software I used for my P1i (maybe XS or something), but Google should be able to help you.
(you are looking for moding forums with links to software and instructions for changing your phones firmware to "generic world")

This will erase all your data too, so make a back-up.

* i don't recall if changing the CDA, changes your IMEI number, so check that out also (concerning Aquacalendar registration...)

Sorry for half-info and vagueness, this is the best I can do, it's been a while... Smile
shadeybeep
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
0 in 0 posts

Phone: Sony Ericsson G900

PostPosted: Sunday, 31.Jul.2011 05:07    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Hey,

Thanks for the reply! I actually did attempt to change the phone's CDA to generic world.. I spent an entire day on this. I think the program you're referring to is XS++. It's with that program that you can download the GPRS file for the phone.. then I had to use another program (some sort of hex editor) to actually modify it. The problem was that I couldn't find any examples where the original was the firmware that I had. There were certain key places where mine just didn't match up with the examples. I tried over and over again anyway with as many different variations as I could think of, but nothing worked. So, I put it back to the way it was before.

Unfortunately I got into this a bit late, after UIQ was no longer being supported, so there weren't many other people around still working on it at the time... so no one was able to help me with it.

I don't think there is any way to change the IMEI number that doesn't involve taking the phones apart and doing very technical things with the circuitboards, which I'm not capable of doing. Also, it's probably illegal, so I doubt I could get any phone places to do it for me. Oh well.

Thanks for your response anyway, I appreciate the fact that you took the time to write that! Smile

theos wrote:
shadeybeep, you cold change your phones' CDA to World Generic, as I think that would remove those chinese localisations that bother you.

I can't recall the name of the software I used for my P1i (maybe XS or something), but Google should be able to help you.
(you are looking for moding forums with links to software and instructions for changing your phones firmware to "generic world")

This will erase all your data too, so make a back-up.

* i don't recall if changing the CDA, changes your IMEI number, so check that out also (concerning Aquacalendar registration...)

Sorry for half-info and vagueness, this is the best I can do, it's been a while... Smile
theos
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Thanks received:
0 in 0 posts

PostPosted: Wednesday, 03.Aug.2011 01:39    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Yes, it is XS++. For P1i, it was pretty straightforward, as I recall. I just asumed it was the same for your phone... Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.
HHuber
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
0 in 0 posts

Phone: M600i

PostPosted: Friday, 27.Jan.2012 23:20    Post subject: Re: Who still uses their UIQ3 device?   Reply with quote   

ajack wrote:
Curious to know who still uses their UIQ3, which model do you have/use and why haven't you changed?

I have bought a brand new M600i yesterday! Very Happy

But I have a problem, no sony update service and the downloadlinks for email software and vpn etc. doesn´t work!

How can I get the firmware and the software? Confused

Thanks to all for your help!

Hermann
abubasim
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Thanks received:
1 in 1 posts

PostPosted: Tuesday, 14.Feb.2012 08:08    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Got my third P990i a month ago from Amazon.com. My previous one was bought in 2007 and was bricked last year when I was too careless when playing around with firmware.

The new one was O2-branded so I unbranded and updated it using Davinciteam.

Very happy with this phone. And a real treat using a real keyboard after having used the iPhone for the past two years! And a stylus which can be used for drawing! And a calendar where I can choose the first day of the week myself! (I live in Oman where the week starts on Saturday.)

The following users say THANKS! for this post: dune_mister

Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> Symbian OS UIQ 3.x All times are GMT + 2 Hours

Go to page
Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic