MEEGO  SECTION
-My-MeeGo-
SOFTWARE STORECONTACT

My-Symbian.com Forums

My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo
Symbian & Linux based Communicator and Smartphone Info Center
The Oldest Symbian Community Website - Since 1999

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RulesRules   Log inLog in 
Lightweight, simplified version of the forumsMobile version
Calligra Mobile

Go to page
Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> Maemo 5 Fremantle
View previous topic :: View next topic  
droll
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
3 in 2 posts
Thanks given: 0

Phone: N900

PostPosted: Wednesday, 17.Nov.2010 06:47    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

yes, it does. if you take a look at the installation logs, you will see it trying to overwrite some (i believe) either file associations or icons for the documents (word, excel, etc) that are owned by Docs-To-Go.
BentL

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
483 in 355 posts
Thanks given: 114

Phone: N9, N900, E90, 9300i, 9300, 9210

PostPosted: Wednesday, 17.Nov.2010 09:36    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

FreOffice does conflict with Documents To Go. They seem to share a file with the same path and file name. But you can force the installation by an option on the apt-get command.

I am myself no longer using FreOffice because I now use Documents To Go. And Documents To Go is coming in a new version Real Soon Now.

--
Bent Laursen
droll
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
3 in 2 posts
Thanks given: 0

Phone: N900

PostPosted: Thursday, 18.Nov.2010 03:48    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

yup, same here. i use DTG. so won't touch FreOffice anymore. and in cases of emergencies where the file is too big or it doesn't render right etc. you could always go online and search (if privacy and security of content isn't an issue) for a document to PDF converter or use Google Docs. Smile
pvanbeek
Site supporter
Site supporter

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
2 in 2 posts
Thanks given: 77

Phone: N9 N900 formerly P990i, P800 6600

PostPosted: Thursday, 18.Nov.2010 09:33    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Thanks, guys. I was excited about FreOffice mainly due to the blog plug in and the powerpoint functionality that docs to go currently lacks. So I uninstalled docstogo to make way. Have to say the word editor is very buggy so I'll be reverting to docstogo. Gnumeric handles complicated spreadsheets just fine.

Good tip re the pdf - I've done that for powerpoints before that docstogo couldn't handle but equally valid for word (unless you need to edit of course Very Happy )
BentL

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
483 in 355 posts

PostPosted: Tuesday, 07.Dec.2010 13:17    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

FreOffice is based on KOffice. The KDE community has announced the start of the Calligra Suite project as a continuation of the KOffice project. Excerpt:
    Calligra Suite Goes Active
    The KDE community today announces the start of the Calligra Suite project, a continuation of the KOffice project. The new name reflects the wider value of the KOffice technology platform beyond just desktop office applications. With a new name for the Suite and new names for the productivity applications, the Calligra community welcomes a new stage in the development of free productivity and creativity applications for desktop and mobile devices.
--
Bent Laursen
BentL

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
483 in 355 posts

PostPosted: Monday, 03.Jan.2011 17:54    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

The FreOffice team is soliciting new ideas for plugins to FreOffice, see blog post. Excerpt:
    Happy New Year and welcome to add new plugin's to FreOffice
    Firstly Happy New Year 2011!!

There is more things cooking under FreOffice in 2011.

FreOffice was presented at the FOSS.IN in Bangalore December 15-17th. We planned a hackathon to invite new contributors to add plugin's to FreOffice. You are welcome to contribute plugins or more ideas for plugins over here meanwhile we develop FreOffice further:

http://ajaypratapsingh.wordpress.com/2010/12/15/freoffice-plug-in-idea s-for-foss-2010/

We also a a feedback plugin please give us feedback so that we can develop FreOffice in the direction it will help you use it better for your needs.
--
Bent Laursen
BentL

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
483 in 355 posts

PostPosted: Friday, 14.Jan.2011 18:35    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Ajay Pratap Singh Pundhir has published his presentation slides from FOSS 2010 about the development of FreOffice, see:

http://ajaypratapsingh.wordpress.com/2011/01/13/here-goes-my-foss-2010 -presentation-slides/

--
Bent Laursen

The following users say THANKS! for this post: pvanbeek, Casanunda

BentL

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
483 in 355 posts

PostPosted: Monday, 16.Apr.2012 17:53    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

The Calligra Project has released Calligra 2.4, see Calligra Announcements. Excerpt:
    Calligra 2.4 Released
    The Calligra team is very proud to announce the first release ever of the Calligra Project, version 2.4.0. This is the end of a very long journey that started over a year ago and has now lead up to the first stable release of Calligra.

Introduction to Calligra
    Calligra is an integrated suite of applications that cover office, creative and management needs. It’s the most comprehensive free suite of applications anywhere and we expect the number of applications to grow as the project matures. Calligra offers its applications on both desktop computers and mobile platforms like tablets and smartphones.

The desktop version of Calligra is called the Calligra Suite. Version 2.4 of the Calligra Suite contains the following applications:

Office applications

• Calligra Words Word processor
    • Calligra Sheets Spreadsheet
    • Calligra Stage Presentation
    • Calligra Flow Diagrams and Flowcharts
    • Kexi Visual Database Creator
    • Braindump Note Taking

Graphic applications

• Krita Drawing Application
    • Karbon Vector Graphics

Management applications

• Calligra Plan Project Management

There are also versions for mobile platforms and these have their own user interfaces suited for touch computing. This release contains two such user interfaces:

• Calligra Mobile A version of Calligra for the Nokia N900 smartphone. This version is both a viewer and a document editor. It supports text documents, spreadsheets and presentations.
    • Calligra Active A more modern user interface for Calligra that is well integrated into the Plasma Active tablet environment. At this time Calligra Active is a viewer only.

Several companies have used Calligra as a base for their own office solution. Nokia uses the Calligra Office engine in the Documents application on Harmattan Meego. Every N9 user already has Calligra installed on their phone!

Calligra uses the Open Document Format (ODF) as its main file format which makes it compatible with most other office applications including OpenOffice.org, LibreOffice and Microsoft Office. It can also import the native file formats of Microsoft Office with great accuracy, in many cases the best you can find.

The applications in the Calligra Suite shares some common UI concepts that gives it a modern look better suited for the wide screens of today. One of them is that most formatting is done using dockers which are placed at the side of the windows instead of on the top. This makes more space available for the actual document contents and avoids opening dialogs on top of it. If the user chooses, s/he can rearrange the placement of the dockers around the document area or even tear loose them and let them float freely. The arrangement is saved and reused the next time Calligra is opened.

News in This Release
    This is the first release of Calligra so maybe talking about news is not the thing to do. However, Calligra is a continuation of the old KOffice project and it may be interesting for KOffice users to know what they will get. Here are some highlights:

• Calligra now has a completely rewritten text layout engine that can handle most of the advanced layout features of ODF. This includes tables that can now span more than one page, footnotes and endnotes and correct run-around around other objects such as pictures. This text layout engine is used all over the suite. The Words application itself is also largely rewritten but this is not as visible to the user.
    • The user interface is simplified. In Calligra Words multiple docks are now combined into one area controlling most aspects of text formatting. Kexi introduced modern modeless views.
    • Calligra can now handle larger parts of the ODF specification. One example of this is handling line endings like arrows.
    • There are several new applications including Flow, the diagram application. Braindump, the note taking applications is another new member of the Calligra family.
    • Calligra Active is a new interface for touch based devices and especially for the Plasma Active environment.
    • Import filters for Microsoft document formats have been enhanced to a new level.
    • On the technical side handling of styles, especially style inheritance works now. Roundtripping of advanced documents has also been improved a lot.
    • And of course many many bugs have been fixed as well as enhancements to almost all small or big parts of Calligra (see also the Kexi changelog).
According to the comments on that announcement, the version for the Nokia N900 has not been compiled to a binary, but that should be easy for someone to do and place this binary in Extras.

--
Bent Laursen

The following users say THANKS! for this post: gymbo

Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> Maemo 5 Fremantle All times are GMT + 2 Hours

Go to page
Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic