MEEGO  SECTION
-My-MeeGo.com-
SOFTWARE STORECONTACT

My-Symbian.com Forums

My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo
Symbian & Linux based Communicator and Smartphone Info Center
The Oldest Symbian Community Website - Since 1999

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RulesRules   Log inLog in 
Lightweight, simplified version of the forumsMobile version
The first Tizen smartphone (prototype) spotted

Go to page
Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> Tizen
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AVR4000
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
58 in 42 posts
Thanks given: 8

Phone: Nokia N70, Nokia N95 8 GB, Nokia E52, Nokia E61, Nokia 9300i, Nokia E90, Sony Xperia Z Ultra C6802 and C6833

PostPosted: Monday, 28.May.2012 15:41    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

I would guess that Intel and Samsung will take a restrictive stance and offer the Android compatibility as a stopgap measure to get some "important" apps quickly. I don't think it will be encouraged as a permanent solution in the meaning that developers could rely on the feature and just "repackage" Android apps instead of making Tizen versions.

The logical solution is to offer this possibility as an "entry opportunity" for Android developers according to a plan according to this principle:

1. Repackage the Android app for Tizen.
2. Develop a Tizen version.
3. The Tizen version will replace the repackaged Android app when it is ready.

Apple provided something similar when Rhapsody became Mac OS X: Carbon. Carbon was a way to get existing Mac OS 9 applications compatible with the new OS without a complete rewrite. The main promoted language and development environment has otherwise been Cocoa (formerly Yellow Box).

So I guess that Alien Dalvik for Tizen is what Carbon was for Mac OS X. It is a way to get a decent application selection quickly rather than getting the OS out and then wait for creation and porting of Tizen apps.

Since the market of today has become very app centric while creation of serious apps takes time, releasing Tizen later this year will not enable the developers to create a big selection. Going for an initial Android repackaging program as a transitional step enables the new system to offer a decent selection from start and people can buy it without being afraid of a lack of apps.

I am pretty sure that Intel/Samsung will avoid marketing Tizen as an "Android compatible" OS. The apps will be sold through their own app store while the Alien Dalvik will be used as a transitional solution so developers that commit to the system can get their existing Android apps out, sell them for Tizen and then just replace them with native versions later.

Ergo: TizenApp 1.0 - Alien Dalvik. TizenApp 2.0 - Native Tizen.
SamKB
Site supporter
Site supporter

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
65 in 44 posts
Thanks given: 1

Phone: N9

PostPosted: Monday, 11.Jun.2012 08:45    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Don't be so sure about this Alien Dalvik thingy. This company is known for making promises it can't deliver. As I recall, its method of compatibility for MeeGo is to run the Android app on their servers and send a video to the phone user who is given some means to interact with the video. Alien Dalvik tried to interest some telcos in their system but there were no takers.

If Android apps can run well on Tizen it is certainly a disincentive for developers to write native Tizen apps. A stop gap measure of Android apps with an eventual release on native Tizen won't work unless there are good reasons for developers to do the port. Creating a separate ecosystem for Tizen isn't one of them.

Unfortunately what I've seen of Tizen looks and feels more like Android than MeeGo. There's nothing of MeeGo's genes in it, least of all the swipe UI. Multitasking has taken a step backwards to early Android with a list of open apps, not even a snapshot of app screens. If Tizen looks and feels like Android down to Samsung's Touchwiz UI what is there to attract users away from real Androids? Users don't really care what's underneath the hood. Samsung/Intel must themselves this question seriously.

The following users say THANKS! for this post: mortenandersen

Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1074 in 682 posts
Thanks given: 285

Phone: Jolla, BB Z10, BB Passport, N950, N900, N8, Nexus 4 (Ubuntu Touch), Lumia 920

PostPosted: Monday, 11.Jun.2012 10:01    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Well, it actually isn't anything technically undoable to port Dalvik VM to Harmattan or Symbian. I guess it's more difficult legally than technically. It's just a Java VM, so it definitely can be ported.

The problem with the company is that they want to sell the licence to a phone maker or network operator and they do not want to sell individual copies to end users. I have no idea if it's because they want to make huge money at once, or because there are certain legal problems that might be easier to solve if they had such a large enterprise buyer.

But I still think that enabling Android compatibility by default on Tizen phones would be HARMFUL to bulding a strong ecosystem of native Tizen developers. We'd see an OCEAN of Android apps repacked for Tizen and very small quantities of native apps, completely invisible among all those Android "ports". And the platform would probably gain opinion of being an Android clone, not a powerful standalone system.

I am not against the availability of Alien Dalvik (or similar solution) in general, but not preinstalled and officially supported (e.g. by the app store) by default, but only as a downloadable optional component, and without support for Android apps in the Tizen app store, etc. This way users could still enjoy being able to use Android apps from the start, but native Tizen developers would get the right promotion and support, e.g. by having the whole Tizen app store reserved ONLY for native apps.

Regarding how the current releases of Tizen look and feel, I am worried about what Sam wrote, too. But I had the same worries about Harmattan before it was released (I was afraid that it would be much too dumbed down compared to Maemo 5) and then it turned out to be a fantastic and powerful system, so hopefully Tizen and Samsung will make it the right way this time, too... Let's keep our fingers crossed...
Medactiron
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
0 in 0 posts
Thanks given: 0

Phone: JHIOK3

PostPosted: Wednesday, 12.Dec.2012 21:19    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Laughing Twisted Evil Hi Everybody,

The Download-adress ov Dalvik VM is as folowing :

http://code.google.com/p/android-dalvik-vm-on-java/downloads/detail?na me=dalvikvm-0.8.zip&can=2&q=

It will be soonly portet to Maemo.org in an usefull way !! Idea Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Medactiron
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
0 in 0 posts
Thanks given: 0

PostPosted: Wednesday, 12.Dec.2012 21:28    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Laughing

I Forgot to tell you, it will be work ( off course ) on the famous "N900"

just look to Maemo.org Forum !!

Laughing Merry Cristmas Laughing
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1074 in 682 posts
Thanks given: 285

Phone: Jolla, BB Z10, BB Passport, N950, N900, N8, Nexus 4 (Ubuntu Touch), Lumia 920

PostPosted: Thursday, 13.Dec.2012 02:09    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

As far as I can see, that project was uploaded in March 2009, so I wouldn't call it a breaking news. And being nearly 4 years old now it probably has little to do with current Android's Dalvik releases and doesn't support much software, and surely not the advanced ones which N9 or N900 users would like to use.

It is also a pure Java implementation, so it is of no use directly on Maemo or MeeGo until someone ports it, and in this case 'porting' would actually mean a lot of work, if not simply a complete rewrite. Considering that it's been there since early 2009 and no one ported it to N900 or N9 until now, I guess it is safe to assume that no one will.

And....

Quote:

... what kind of mobile phone is this? Can't you just fill your profile normally, like everyone else?
Woj2007
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
40 in 30 posts
Thanks given: 50

Phone: iPhone 5s, Nokia 808

PostPosted: Thursday, 03.Jan.2013 23:14    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

http://www.dailymobile.net/2013/01/03/multiple-tizen-based-handsets-wi ll-be-released-this-year/
Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> Tizen All times are GMT + 2 Hours

Go to page
Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic