MEEGO  SECTION
-My-MeeGo.com-
SOFTWARE STORECONTACT

My-Symbian.com Forums

My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo
Symbian & Linux based Communicator and Smartphone Info Center
The Oldest Symbian Community Website - Since 1999

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RulesRules   Log inLog in 
Lightweight, simplified version of the forumsMobile version
Jolla phone specs

Go to page
Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> Jolla Sailfish OS
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ketilk
Site supporter
Site supporter

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
49 in 44 posts
Thanks given: 6

Phone: Jolla, N9 , N900, N97-mini

PostPosted: Tuesday, 01.Oct.2013 10:55    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Yes, I don't disagree with that. More RAM and a more standard compliant screen is always nice. I tend to believe that build quality is not important for many people so I guess that also can be sacrificed for the first phone they make.

I mean a thinkpad cost a lot more for the same amount of ram and the same speed of same generation processor than a consumer market asus. I believe a first phone can use cheaper less reliable high spec parts rather than expensive reliable low-spec parts. It's not like most consumers these days expect their phones to last 5 years anyway.

Not so sure about local laws regarding warranty though.
Casanunda
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
52 in 48 posts
Thanks given: 315

Phone: n900, Jolla

PostPosted: Tuesday, 01.Oct.2013 11:20    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Ketlik wrote:

I tend to believe that build quality is not important for many people so I guess that also can be sacrificed for the first phone they make.

I don't agree here.
I think a lot of potential Jolla customers are former Nokia users, with Nokia being famous for quite good build quality (while at the same time having low specs).

I could imagine that especially for a new company with a new OS and all, it's quite important for the first impression to have a decent quality - more than having the best specifications. Especially with an OS that "should" be quite efficient also on low spec hardware.

Otherwise Sailfish will soon get the image of "that cheap Android replacement for cheap China phones"...

So if I were Jolla, I'd try to get decent build quality rather than high end specs for the money I have to pay for the hardware.

Since specs are now clear, let's hope build quality really IS good...
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1073 in 681 posts
Thanks given: 285

Phone: Jolla, BB Z10, BB Passport, N950, N900, N8, Nexus 4 (Ubuntu Touch), Lumia 920

PostPosted: Tuesday, 01.Oct.2013 15:29    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

I agree with Casanunda on this one. I think that build quality in case of this specific company and this specific OS is *very important*.

Like Casanunda said, many (most?) potential Jolla customers will be existing/former Nokia phone users, especially the N9 which offered really high build quality. The OS itself is also meant to be "unlike" (the rest), offering features like full openness and being a direct Harmattan follow-up, so it doesn't seem to be a product for 'every kid' but rather for more serious users.

Also, it is usually the very first model that gets the most publicity, so it is in Jolla's best interest to make a good impression with a phone of PROPER quality. I don't mean Vertu-quality, just something that won't disapoint anyone.

I'm afraid, though, that the screen will remain the phone's weakest point, and a subject of many complaints.
detten
Site supporter
Site supporter

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
16 in 15 posts
Thanks given: 5

Phone: N9

PostPosted: Tuesday, 01.Oct.2013 19:38    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

RGB indicator LED

I prefer an AMOLED screen which ensures that a separate status led is not needed Confused
Ketilk
Site supporter
Site supporter

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
49 in 44 posts
Thanks given: 6

Phone: Jolla, N9 , N900, N97-mini

PostPosted: Wednesday, 02.Oct.2013 00:06    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

It doesn't have to work on the moon or, in an atomic reactor or other places with the same amount of radiation:) It does not need thinkpad quality either I think.

N9 was not really that good quality I think as I had to have my touch screen replaced and my micro usb is lose so I can only charge it with one of my chargers. Think that level is sufficient for them. I'd say that is mid to low range quality, not very poor, but not very good either. Haven't tried dropping it from 1,8 meter landing on a hard floor, but that is a good test for whether it's good quality or not(except that you might discover the damage only months later).

I gave my N97 mini to my sister and it still works even if I lost that from high height some times. Been less trouble with that than my N9.
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1073 in 681 posts
Thanks given: 285

Phone: Jolla, BB Z10, BB Passport, N950, N900, N8, Nexus 4 (Ubuntu Touch), Lumia 920

PostPosted: Wednesday, 02.Oct.2013 14:49    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

It doesn't have to work on the moon or, in an atomic reactor or other places with the same amount of radiation:)

Well, considering what's going on at Fukushima, I wouldn't be so sure Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> Jolla Sailfish OS All times are GMT + 2 Hours

Go to page
Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic