MEEGO  SECTION
-My-MeeGo.com-
SOFTWARE STORECONTACT

My-Symbian.com Forums

My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo
Symbian & Linux based Communicator and Smartphone Info Center
The Oldest Symbian Community Website - Since 1999

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RulesRules   Log inLog in 
Lightweight, simplified version of the forumsMobile version
Microsoft bought Nokia mobile division

Go to page  
Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> MeeGo Harmattan
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1092 in 696 posts
Thanks given: 286

Phone: Jolla, BB Z10, BB Passport, N950, N900, N8, Nexus 4 (Ubuntu Touch), Lumia 920

PostPosted: Thursday, 24.Oct.2013 21:53    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

Wetab runs out of energy latest after 4 hours

But it's not only the CPU to blame for that. It's also its huge (nearly 12") display, as LCD backlight is one of the biggest energy consumers on a mobile device. With a 10" display it would probably deliver 5+ hours of work.

Anyway, as you wrote, Windows 8's performance on the WeTab is simply great, absolutely nothing to complain about. So I guess that higher energy consumption is a fair price to pay for such a great performance (compared to Windows RT which doesn't impress, at least on the first Surface) and for compatibility with all x86 Windows applications ever created, i.e. an almost infinite number.
dannycamps
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
86 in 57 posts
Thanks given: 9

Phone: Nokia 9000i, Nokia 9290, Nokia 9500, Nokia E90, Nokia N900, Nokia E7, Nokia Lumia 920, Nokia Lumia 1520

PostPosted: Friday, 25.Oct.2013 05:51    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

I just acquired a Lenovo Thinkpad Tablet 2 (x86 dual core Atom). It's running Windows 8 and gives good performance within realistic expectations (i.e. no demanding 3D gaming) and great battery life.

I looked at the Surface RT (and other RT tablets) but I really don't want to limit myself to just the App Store apps. There are strong benefits of Windows RT (i.e. no malware/viruses as of yet, price, battery, etc...) but too much of a compromise.

A better option would be to either ditch RT or merge WP and RT (similar to what Apple did with iOS). Unlike RT, WP8 is a thriving platform with a quickly expanding ecosystem. Of course, an even better option is full Windows 8 Smile

On that note, I will say I am going to take a good long look at the Lumia 1520 when it gets released. Just not sure how well I would fare with a 6 inch phone screen.
Ketilk
Site supporter
Site supporter

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
50 in 45 posts
Thanks given: 6

Phone: Sony Xperia XA(Android 7.0), Jolla, N9 , N900, N97-mini,

PostPosted: Friday, 25.Oct.2013 15:21    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

They should rather port the whole Windows 8 to ARM than only providing a limited subset of it like RT is. Don't think WP is any better. Why can't you install from third party sources? Why are you not free to choose the development library you want? Even if they have to port it first if required. Why can't RT have the features of enterprise versions of Windows(why can't pro have the features of enterprise also)? Why does the RT enforce the "secure" boot feature in a way that does not let manufacturers give the user a choice of turning it off?

There are lots of reasons to use ARM rather than x86(especially the 32bit variant) on mobile devices, but linux+GNU, embedded GNU or non-GNU linux, or android linux are much better choices than Windows RT for that. Even x86 and windows is better than windows RT.

Intel know how to make good x86 chips, but love love to see their expertise in manufacturing different architectures.

Debian(most variants includes a linux kernel) and NetBSD support lots of architectures. Supporting x86, x86_64(also called amd64) and ARM is required for any future OS I think.

Debian: i386, AMD64, PowerPC, SPARC, ARM, MIPS, S390, IA-64 officially
NetBSD: Alpha, ARM (32 Bit only), PA-RISC, 68k, MIPS, PowerPC, SH3, SPA
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1092 in 696 posts

Phone: Jolla, BB Z10, BB Passport, N950, N900, N8, Nexus 4 (Ubuntu Touch), Lumia 920

PostPosted: Friday, 25.Oct.2013 16:51    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Elop has recently said that they are in the process of deciding how Nokia smartphones will be called in the future after Microsoft acquires Nokia. The most probable option is that they will be called just "Lumia", with the Nokia brand dropped altogether. So, as I wrote in another thread, Nokia is history now and these new products are their going-away party.

Anyway, the Jolla phone is just around the corner. They say they're already preparing for the launch. The first Ubuntu Touch release is also available (for developers, installable on a Nexus 4) and phones are expected early next year. Tizen came out on a developer tablet, so it will probably launch commercially soon, too. BB10 got 10.2 update making it even better (the Hub is really a beautiful thing). With so many options, I just can't stop wondering who on Earth wants to buy Windows Phone. OK, its app ecosystem is growing, but the aforementioned platforms support Android compatibility so availability of 3rd party software is NOT a problem on them - on the contrary, there are uncomparably more Android than WP apps.

What are the benefits of buying a WP phone now? I like my Z10 so much that I just can't think of replacing it with a Lumia. I have the Lumia 920 (got it from Nokia for tests) and it just CANNOT compete with the Z10's beautiful and so nice to use BB10 OS. The 10.2 update brought Android 4.2.2 compatibility and huge performace improvement when it comes to Android runtime, I can install whatever I need and now it looks and works almost 'natively'. Why should I care if Blackberry survives or not? The Z10 is fully usable (and enjoyable) here and now, who cares what will be in a year or so? By then I will be switching to something new, anyway, and - as I wrote above - there will be so many options to choose from very soon...
sourish55
My first post!
My first post!

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
0 in 0 posts
Thanks given: 0

Phone: samsung s3

PostPosted: Saturday, 26.Oct.2013 09:55    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

can we use firefox in window phone, as i wanna buy Nokia 2520 tablet
Nokia Asha 503 Dual SIM

Last edited by sourish55 on Monday, 28.Oct.2013 12:13; edited 1 time in total
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1092 in 696 posts

PostPosted: Sunday, 27.Oct.2013 00:23    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

can we use firefox in window phone, as i wanna buy Nokia 2520 tablet

As we've just discussed on this page, the Nokia 2520 tablet is NOT Windows Phone based. It is based on Windows RT (a crippled version of Windows 8, compiled for ARM processors).

Typing "Firefox for Windows RT" in Google returns the following:

"unfortunately the artificial limitations microsoft has built-in into its operating system make it impossible for third-party browser vendors like mozilla to offer their product for the windows RT platform."

http://support.mozilla.org/pl/questions/940644

So no, there is no Firefox for Windows RT as Microsoft purposedly restricted it.
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1092 in 696 posts

PostPosted: Wednesday, 20.Nov.2013 22:35    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

As it was expected, shareholders have approved sale of Nokia to Microsoft. They preferred to get back just about anything, rather than bear any risk. Just like I predicted.

"I think it's a fair price if you think about the situation right now," said Matti Pirkola, a 58-year-old shareholder

No one dares to ask WHY the situation is so bad and WHO put the company in such a hopeless situation turning it in less than two years from a giant market leader into a bankrupt, and that maybe he should be held responsible for it. Everyone wants to just quickly get back from this dying business what remained from it, and that's it.

Matti Pirkola adds: "I think Nokia could have chosen another option a few years ago, but now is too late and there are no other alternatives"

Elop and Ballmer jubilate. Mission complete.

Rest in peace, Nokia Mobile Phones.
N/A
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Thanks received:
31 in 27 posts
Thanks given: 20

Phone: N/A

PostPosted: Thursday, 21.Nov.2013 18:11    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Today's news seemed to be that Microsoft Finland is moving to the Nokia headquarters building (Nokia House) with the rest of Nokia people who will be come Microsoft employees, and those that stay on the Nokia side, will move out to other Nokia buildings.

Microsoft Finland will apparently become the second largest (by number of employees) Microsoft subsidiary.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> MeeGo Harmattan All times are GMT + 2 Hours

Go to page  
Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8

Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic