MEEGO  SECTION
-My-MeeGo.com-
SOFTWARE STORECONTACT

My-Symbian.com Forums

My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo
Symbian & Linux based Communicator and Smartphone Info Center
The Oldest Symbian Community Website - Since 1999

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RulesRules   Log inLog in 
Lightweight, simplified version of the forumsMobile version
Samsung reportedly delays Tizen development

Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> Tizen
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kleuter
Site supporter
Site supporter

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
31 in 22 posts
Thanks given: 13

Phone: Jolla, Iphone, E90, E71, 6310i, N900, BB.

PostPosted: Monday, 12.Aug.2013 18:26    Post subject: Samsung reportedly delays Tizen development   Reply with quote   

Samsung Electronics reportedly has slowed down the development of its Tizen operating system, which it co-developed with Intel – a move which could dash hopes of other Android smartphone vendors expecting to grab market share from the Korea-based vendor once it began shifting to Tizen, according to industry sources.

Although Co-CEO JK Shin, who runs Samsung's IT and mobile communications division, has dismissed market speculation that Samsung may consider dropping Tizen, the sources insisted that Samsung has delayed development.

The delay is reasonable since the planned shift would benefit rivals in the Android camp, including LG Electronics, HTC, Sony Mobile Communications, and Huawei, among others, and so there is no reason for Samsung to push ahead with Tizen at the moment, argued the sources.

Additionally, given that Android has accounted for nearly 80% of the global smartphone market and leads other platforms in terms of popularity, maturity and ecosystem, as well as the fact that Samsung has incorporated Android into its smartphones, tablets, DSCs and notebooks, the possibility is low for Samsung to shift from Android to Tizen overnight barring a drastic overhaul in strategy for Android by Google, the sources commented.

http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20130809PD216.html
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1074 in 682 posts
Thanks given: 285

Phone: Jolla, BB Z10, BB Passport, N950, N900, N8, Nexus 4 (Ubuntu Touch), Lumia 920

PostPosted: Monday, 12.Aug.2013 22:08    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

the possibility is low for Samsung to shift from Android to Tizen overnight

Who said that Samsung was going to SHIFT from Android to Tizen? I have never heard such a statement. Not to even mention doing it "overnight". Tizen was meant to replace Samsung's Bada OS, and definitely NOT their Android line of products. At least not now, and not in any foreseeable future, before Tizen would grow and mature enough for any such plans to make sense.

Samsung surely is huge enough to further maintain ALL their Android developments while EXPERIMENTING with Tizen and seeing if it can succeed or not. If they indeed delay it then surely for a different reason than "not being able to shift from Android to Tizen at the moment"...
Kleuter
Site supporter
Site supporter

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
31 in 22 posts

PostPosted: Monday, 12.Aug.2013 22:41    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

The delay would probably be good news for Jolla.
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1074 in 682 posts

Phone: Jolla, BB Z10, BB Passport, N950, N900, N8, Nexus 4 (Ubuntu Touch), Lumia 920

PostPosted: Monday, 12.Aug.2013 22:58    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

The delay would probably be good news for Jolla.

Yes, I think it is a good news for Jolla. Once Samsung decides to launch Tizen, it'll probably just flood the market with Tizen phones covering all price ranges, also the mid range that Jolla is aiming at. Without Tizen, more of those looking for "something new and different" may want to try the Jolla phone.

The question however is, how long is the delay going to be. With all the developer contents (with multi-million prizes) already started, it may as well be just a couple of months. And if so then Tizen phones may come out actually at the same time as the Jolla, which might turn out to be even worse than if they started shipping earlier...
Ketilk
Site supporter
Site supporter

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
49 in 44 posts
Thanks given: 6

Phone: Jolla, N9 , N900, N97-mini

PostPosted: Tuesday, 13.Aug.2013 14:17    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

I hope Tizen will replace android at some point, but Samsung can afford to keep multiple eggs in the basket at the same time. If they convince their customers that Tizen is great, then they will stay in control of their product. If not, then they still have a great android based OS they can rely on.

I do hope that Tizen does not take away customers from Jolla though. I believe Jolla can survive as a geek phone, and that geeks will prefer it over Tizen, but I also think end users will trust Samsung more easily than a small company like Jolla.
adamdavies
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Please add your avatar!
Currently banned

Thanks received:
0 in 0 posts
Thanks given: 0

Phone: samsung galaxy s3

PostPosted: Monday, 28.Apr.2014 14:12    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

At the end of the day whom has the most market share wins. You can have a bad product with the budget to market it and it will out sell any other better product.
Kleuter
Site supporter
Site supporter

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
31 in 22 posts

PostPosted: Monday, 12.May.2014 09:25    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Samsung reportedly working on 4 Tizen phones: SM-Z500, SM-Z700, SM-Z900, and SM-Z910
https://twitter.com/evleaks/status/465405264795955200
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1074 in 682 posts

PostPosted: Monday, 12.May.2014 16:26    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Good news. The smartphone market needs a change.

The question, however, is if Samsung will officially accept Qt (I mean if they will allow Qt applications in their app store, etc.). If not then I'm afraid that as a HTML5 & "Android-compatible" only Tizen will be beyond my scope of interest.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> Tizen All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic