MEEGO  SECTION
-My-MeeGo.com-
SOFTWARE STORECONTACT

My-Symbian.com Forums

My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo
Symbian & Linux based Communicator and Smartphone Info Center
The Oldest Symbian Community Website - Since 1999

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RulesRules   Log inLog in 
Lightweight, simplified version of the forumsMobile version
New Software version 1.1.1.26 (Vaarainjärvi) soon available

Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> Jolla Sailfish OS
View previous topic :: View next topic  
naytsyrhc
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
43 in 43 posts
Thanks given: 115

Phone: History [/// R380s, SE P800, SE P910i, SE M600i, Nokia E71, Nokia N9, Jolla 1], Current [Sony Xperia X Compact SFOS]

PostPosted: Thursday, 18.Dec.2014 17:53    Post subject: New Software version 1.1.1.26 (Vaarainjärvi) soon available   Reply with quote   

Jolla just announced that they have released Update 10.

Quote:

The release notes includes a combined summary of the highlights from update9 and 10.

See the release notes:
https://together.jolla.com/question/71741/release-notes-software-versi on-11126-vaarainjarvi/

Quote:

The corresponding SDK release will be available on the 5th of January 2015. It will include the updated rpmvalidator which allows the new libraries to be used in Store as announced in the community meeting from 25th of November 2014.
Harbour testing team will start using the new rpmvalidator from 7th of January 2015 onwards (note that 6th of January 2015 is a public holiday in Finland).

Which sounds like more modules will be available for harbour applications.

The release notes are quite impressive, but it took a long time this time, so it had to be long. Even more for those that did not install the opt-in update 9 like me Wink

So I'll wait for my notification, will update and report...

The following users say THANKS! for this post: Casanunda

naytsyrhc
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
43 in 43 posts

Phone: History [/// R380s, SE P800, SE P910i, SE M600i, Nokia E71, Nokia N9, Jolla 1], Current [Sony Xperia X Compact SFOS]

PostPosted: Thursday, 18.Dec.2014 17:59    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

From http://merproject.org/meetings/mer-meeting/2014/mer-meeting.2014-11-25 -15.00.html you can see, that

Quote:

kimmoli summarized the git commits: shortly list of new allowed: libssl, libcrypto, liblzma, libxml2, libogg, libvorbis, QtGraphicalEffects (tbr, 15:16:49)

are among those newly allowed modules. If there are others I don't know (yet).

The following users say THANKS! for this post: Casanunda

Ketilk
Site supporter
Site supporter

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
50 in 45 posts
Thanks given: 6

Phone: Sony Xperia XA(Android 7.0), Jolla, N9 , N900, N97-mini,

PostPosted: Thursday, 18.Dec.2014 20:46    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

The full list of available modules is on qml_imports, allowed_libraries and alloed_requires

I am looking forward to this update, will be nice. Not received any update notification yet, I even manually opened the update manager and checked for updates
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1096 in 698 posts
Thanks given: 286

Phone: Jolla, BB Z10, BB Passport, N950, N900, N8, Nexus 4 (Ubuntu Touch), Lumia 920

PostPosted: Thursday, 18.Dec.2014 21:33    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

The full list of available modules is on qml_imports, allowed_libraries and alloed_requires

Still no trace of QtPositioning or QtLocation. I'm not even talking about anything less basic than that, like QtBluetooth, QtNetwork, etc., but lack of as basic modules as QtPositioning and Location is simply STUNNING.

Actually, the number of allowed QML modules has hardly changed at all. The only addition is QtGraphicalEffects 1.0

Compare: new vs. current

And it's not just about QML modules. Even if I moved the whole Positioning/Location related functionality from QML to C++, such an application still wouldn't be accepted because Jolla not only doesn't support those QML modules but actually the Qt libraries themselves - so it can't be used neither in QML nor in C++. See how libQt5Location and libQt5Positioning are also missing on the list of supported Qt libraries:

https://github.com/sailfish-sdk/sdk-harbour-rpmvalidator/blob/master/a llowed_libraries.conf

So for my applications, majority of which use use positioning and location, it means completely nothing - the Jolla store still won't accept them.
naytsyrhc
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
43 in 43 posts

PostPosted: Thursday, 18.Dec.2014 22:26    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

It's not not mentioned at all. There is a short discussion about QTPositioning in the logs of community discussion. They say they can't yet release because their sailfish implementation was derived from an earlier version of qt 5.2 when it hasn't been final and the released api seems to differ and moreover has dependencies that have to be fixed. Doesn't sound too complicated but seems to be more of a problem than I'd expect. Anyway, the admitted that it is an internal problem and took it back to them to fix it (as far as I understood from the logs of the aforementioned community discussion ).
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1096 in 698 posts

Phone: Jolla, BB Z10, BB Passport, N950, N900, N8, Nexus 4 (Ubuntu Touch), Lumia 920

PostPosted: Friday, 19.Dec.2014 06:52    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

First they were saying that they couldn't update QtPositioning and QtLocation because they weren't final in Qt5.2. But they became final in spring, some good 8 months or so ago. So now for 8 months they've been saying that they can't update them because their former implementation wasn't final and there are differences. Makes no sense at all.

We're not talking about something unimportant but about the most popular modules, used on other platforms by thousands of applications.

They have completely wrong priorities, as always.
naytsyrhc
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
43 in 43 posts

PostPosted: Friday, 19.Dec.2014 10:41    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:
They have completely wrong priorities, as always.

I agree. But maybe it's really tricky to get those modules into the supported set. If there are dependencies they can't meet yet or break other parts, then it is a problem they have to solve first. This is no excuse, because they could have sticked to older version of QT and allow all stable modules on that version or they could have started much earlier to adapt to QT 5.2.

With this update they also introduced some nice extra features that could have been skipped in favour for QT module support (i.e. flipping phone to silent/dismiss alarm/incoming call). But on the other hand maybe this feature was half a day work without many dependencies and enabling module support is more of 9 days work with huge dependencies.

Anyway. I agree and there are complaints about it and those complaint are heard. Yet they do not act accordingly yet (or at least it seems to be so).
naytsyrhc
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
43 in 43 posts

PostPosted: Friday, 19.Dec.2014 10:46    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

BTW: besides this "flip phone to silent" feature and the possibility to use alphanumeric passwords for device lock I did not see any other changes (but I had opted-in update 9 already so maybe some features came with that already). System feels more responsive again (update 9 made it sluggish sometimes but that was a known issue and the main reason why they only offered it as opt-in).
Ketilk
Site supporter
Site supporter

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
50 in 45 posts
Thanks given: 6

Phone: Sony Xperia XA(Android 7.0), Jolla, N9 , N900, N97-mini,

PostPosted: Friday, 19.Dec.2014 16:15    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Alphanumeric passwords don't work, people using them has not been able to unlock their phones.

Quote:

19.12.2014 Update: We are reverting the alphanumeric lock code feature from the release and are preparing to roll out the hotfix during today.

Most users will get the update 1.1.1.27(update 10) on Monday.
Kleuter
Site supporter
Site supporter

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
31 in 22 posts
Thanks given: 13

Phone: Jolla, Iphone, E90, E71, 6310i, N900, BB.

PostPosted: Friday, 19.Dec.2014 23:05    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Just downloaded and installed it. Very small update takes only a minute or so to download and install.
Casanunda
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
52 in 48 posts
Thanks given: 323

Phone: n900, Jolla

PostPosted: Sunday, 21.Dec.2014 11:01    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

I find it quite strange (from a non-developer's point of view ) that positioning modules are not considered stable - there are plenty of apps on openrepos that use GPS and work just fine (e.g. MeeRun sportstracker, Rena, Poor Maps,...)
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1096 in 698 posts

PostPosted: Sunday, 21.Dec.2014 16:26    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

I find it quite strange (from a non-developer's point of view ) that positioning modules are not considered stable - there are plenty of apps on openrepos that use GPS and work just fine (e.g. MeeRun sportstracker, Rena, Poor Maps,...)

All the apps of mine I ported to Jolla also use their implementation of QtPositioning and QtLocation (5.1) and I have never had any issues with them. You can use them without any problems, but you can't submit an application using them to the Jolla store.
Kleuter
Site supporter
Site supporter

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
31 in 22 posts
Thanks given: 13

Phone: Jolla, Iphone, E90, E71, 6310i, N900, BB.

PostPosted: Wednesday, 24.Dec.2014 22:58    Post subject: Better performance?   Reply with quote   

My impression is that the performance of the browser is a lot better in this version. Also Here maps seems a lot more responsive.
Launching apps appears to take longer however. They added an animation in the tile at lounch, to cloak the lag probably.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> Jolla Sailfish OS All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic