MEEGO  SECTION
-My-MeeGo.com-
SOFTWARE STORECONTACT

My-Symbian.com Forums

My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo
Symbian & Linux based Communicator and Smartphone Info Center
The Oldest Symbian Community Website - Since 1999

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RulesRules   Log inLog in 
Lightweight, simplified version of the forumsMobile version
Samsung/Intel show off Tizen Phones

Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> Tizen
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dannycamps
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
86 in 57 posts
Thanks given: 9

Phone: Nokia 9000i, Nokia 9290, Nokia 9500, Nokia E90, Nokia N900, Nokia E7, Nokia Lumia 920, Nokia Lumia 1520

PostPosted: Wednesday, 26.Feb.2014 04:46    Post subject: Samsung/Intel show off Tizen Phones   Reply with quote   

New Tizen phone from Samsung shown at MWC. UI is similar to TouchWiz.

Source and pics:
http://reviews.cnet.com/2300-13970_7-10019691.html
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1084 in 691 posts
Thanks given: 285

Phone: Jolla, BB Z10, BB Passport, N950, N900, N8, Nexus 4 (Ubuntu Touch), Lumia 920

PostPosted: Wednesday, 26.Feb.2014 11:01    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Not bad! Let's see how this develops...

My interest in this platform will depend on how they'll treat Qt - if they allow an official port and accept Qt software in their store. If not, I'll be more interested in Ubuntu which looks quite similar but is a fully open/open source OS with native Qt support.
Kleuter
Site supporter
Site supporter

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
31 in 22 posts
Thanks given: 13

Phone: Jolla, Iphone, E90, E71, 6310i, N900, BB.

PostPosted: Monday, 02.Jun.2014 12:47    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Samsung Tizen phone for sale in Russia next month (July 2014) see article on BBC

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-27660366
Kleuter
Site supporter
Site supporter

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
31 in 22 posts

PostPosted: Friday, 11.Jul.2014 14:38    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Moscow launch canceled amidst speculation on app availability.
http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2014/07/11/moscow-developers-ponder-anothe r-samsung-delay/
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1084 in 691 posts

Phone: Jolla, BB Z10, BB Passport, N950, N900, N8, Nexus 4 (Ubuntu Touch), Lumia 920

PostPosted: Saturday, 12.Jul.2014 03:36    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

I am ready to port all my applications to Tizen, if I can only have a developer unit to test them on. Unfortunately, I have no idea whom to contact to obtain one. Last time I applied for a developer unit on Tizen.org website (there was a special application form there) I didn't even get any kind of response.

Therefore, as I can't see Samsung struggling to find more developers (considering by that a person willing to quickly port TEN quality Qt applications is not even worth an answer), I find it bizarre that 'lack of apps' is the actual reason of the delay.
MeowTseDong
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
9 in 9 posts
Thanks given: 2

Phone: Nokia

PostPosted: Saturday, 26.Jul.2014 19:03    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Most people don't realize how dead Intel is in mobile. I know people who work in business and has trialed the Intel platforms for cell phone usage. They always cancel those projects because the power consumption is just way off compared to a Qualcomm platform for example, or even any ARM based platform. Web browsing power consumption for example have been measured in an order of magnitude worse than the competitors. More so, the platforms they delivered have been very buggy and not ready even as a development platform.

Intel try and try and their platforms are much cheaper than Qualcomm but they are not simply good enough. If you want a cheap platform, Mediatek offers much better alternatives.

Tizen on an ARM based platform would of course be a better choice.
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1084 in 691 posts

PostPosted: Sunday, 27.Jul.2014 00:22    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Well, that's why even Windows Phones (and Win RT) run on ARM... This is the best proof of how unusable mobile Intel CPUs are. If they were any better, I guess that M$ would have never used the ARM architecture.

The problem with Tizen is that it is a project of Samsung and Intel so it is hard to imagine that a non-Intel chipset could be used. If Intel doesn't manage to improve its mobile technology soon, further delays with launching the first Tizen phone will take place...
dannycamps
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
86 in 57 posts
Thanks given: 9

Phone: Nokia 9000i, Nokia 9290, Nokia 9500, Nokia E90, Nokia N900, Nokia E7, Nokia Lumia 920, Nokia Lumia 1520

PostPosted: Sunday, 27.Jul.2014 05:44    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

It's strange because there are Intel-based mobile phones in existence. A recent example is the Lenovo K900 (Android). It uses the Intel Clovertrail Atom processor which is not the fastest horse in the barn but certainly can hold its own in terms of power management.
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1084 in 691 posts

PostPosted: Sunday, 27.Jul.2014 15:49    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Well, maybe "unusable" wasn't the right word. Intel processors certainly can be used, it's just that their power efficiency is considerably worse, and I guess their performance is also weaker compared to equivalent ARM processors.

It's not just in mobile phones but also tablets. I still have the WeTab, which now has Android-x86 installed on it as my wife who uses the tablet couldn't stand Windows 8 on it (actually, Win8 is still there in a dual-boot setup but she didn't start it even once since I installed Android on it). Everything is OK, except for battery life which compared to ARM-based tablets simply sucks. I'm sure that the tablet would run twice longer if it was based on a comparable ARM CPU. Of course, the processor in WeTab isn't Clovertrail, it's the old standard N450 Atom CPU, but it also eats power like crazy.
MeowTseDong
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
9 in 9 posts
Thanks given: 2

Phone: Nokia

PostPosted: Sunday, 27.Jul.2014 21:55    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

In Idle, the Intel platform isn't too bad. You can basically turn everything off and it is only the modem ticking in the background. It's when you start to do something with it just start to suck the life out of the battery much faster than Qualcomm for example. Mind you, today's ARM processors are also beasts, that's why this stupid BIG/LITTLE configuration. Despite of that, Intel is considerable worse anyway.
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1084 in 691 posts

PostPosted: Monday, 28.Jul.2014 00:58    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Intel's biggest problem is its x86 desktop heritage. This imposes evolution, not revolution. They keep tweaking many things, but many other things just have to stay there for compatibility. They keep adding new power states (like the active idle), or additional small cores to run RISC instructions whenever possible, but the good old CISC core must still be there for ia32 compatibility, and there's nothing they can do about it - as long as it is supposed to be an x86 compatible SoC.

ARM was created for mobile devices, x86 was originally made for desktop devices with absolutely no power restrictions. They did wonders to make this architecture work in power-starving mobile devices but they just can't match what was built from scratch for this kind of equipment and power-efficiency, unless they change the whole architecture which will break compatibility...

As you wrote, they managed to make it power efficient while it actually sleeps (and in such case their achievements are truly remarkable - in idle their chips are indeed more power efficient than ARM CPUs), but as soon as it starts doing something it quickly sucks off all the juices. Which is quite typical, and I'm afraid unavoidable, for such a CISC beast.

Lastly, it won't be too difficult to add similar advanced power states to the ARM architecture, which will make ARM even more power efficient. While for Atom, I'm afraid, there isn't much they can do besides what they already did.
Kleuter
Site supporter
Site supporter

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
31 in 22 posts

PostPosted: Monday, 28.Jul.2014 18:28    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Samsung indefinitely puts the brakes on Tizen launch (Zdnet)
http://www.zdnet.com/samsung-indefinitely-puts-the-brakes-on-tizen-lau nch-7000032037/

Well apparently it is not so easy to get an ecosystem up and running. Maybe Jolla should not be blamed for not trying.
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1084 in 691 posts

PostPosted: Monday, 28.Jul.2014 20:36    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

Maybe Jolla should not be blamed for not trying.

The difference is that Jolla DID launch their platform, only to leave it behind.
Kleuter
Site supporter
Site supporter

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
31 in 22 posts

PostPosted: Monday, 22.Dec.2014 18:08    Post subject: Tizen is coming to India   Reply with quote   

The Z1 will be released in India as an ultra low price phone, for about 75 Euro.
http://english.hankyung.com/news/apps/news.view?popup=0&nid=0&c1=03&ne wscate=1&nkey=201412200950091
Getting crowded out there in 2015... Knock-off Android devices, Tizen, Ubuntu, Jolla.
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1084 in 691 posts

PostPosted: Monday, 22.Dec.2014 23:35    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

I don't really know who the Z1 (and Tizen in general) is targeted at. Originating from MeeGo but quite closed (i.e. not having the advantage of being a "true open Linux OS" like Sailfish or Ubuntu), focused on Android compatibility with not even Qt preinstalled... So maybe the decision to launch it at that ultra low price is the only way to go as it can only be attractive to those looking for an extremely cheap Android compatible... It turns out to be not much more than Bada + ACL.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> Tizen All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic