MEEGO  SECTION
-My-MeeGo.com-
SOFTWARE STORECONTACT

My-Symbian.com Forums

My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo
Symbian & Linux based Communicator and Smartphone Info Center
The Oldest Symbian Community Website - Since 1999

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RulesRules   Log inLog in 
Lightweight, simplified version of the forumsMobile version
New N9 has old version on it

Go to page
1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> MeeGo Harmattan
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ginniec
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
5 in 5 posts
Thanks given: 15

Phone: E63, E.82, N8, N9, N900, 808, Blackberry Z10, Passport SE

PostPosted: Monday, 02.Mar.2015 02:18    Post subject: New N9 has old version on it   Reply with quote   

Hi, have browsed these forums for a while now, but only just registered. I'm hoping someone can advise me on this.

I have ordered a new N9 but presumably it will have the original version of the OS. Will the phone itself advise me of an OTA, so that I can upgrade to PR1.3?

I'm hoping the answer is yes, as the "flasher" routines seem to be quite complicated and maybe hazardous to use. I'm a bit of a newbie at this anyway.

Any and all help gratefully received.

Thanks in advance. Smile
ginniec
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
5 in 5 posts

PostPosted: Monday, 02.Mar.2015 02:28    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

P.S. I have the following application that I got from the MS support site - if the phone can't update itself, would this work?

NokiaSoftwareUpdaterSetup_EN and is it foolproof?
BentL

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
478 in 350 posts
Thanks given: 109

Phone: N9, N900, E90, 9300i, 9300, 9210

PostPosted: Monday, 02.Mar.2015 14:09    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Yes, you can use Nokia Software Updater to update the firmware in the N9 to the latest version. But before doing that, you may take a look at the product code to ensure that you get the global firmware version, e.g. you could use the Northern European product code. The product code can be changed with the Nemesis Suite.

--
Bent Laursen

The following users say THANKS! for this post: ginniec

ginniec
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
5 in 5 posts

PostPosted: Monday, 02.Mar.2015 22:27    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Do you mean I have to change the phone's product code first before using the Software Updater? I would imagine it's the Chinese variant, so needs to be Northern European, is that what you're saying?

Is this foolproof for a tyro like me? Smile

I was hoping the phone would update itself (OTA), but I guess not from what you say.
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1073 in 681 posts
Thanks given: 285

Phone: Jolla, BB Z10, BB Passport, N950, N900, N8, Nexus 4 (Ubuntu Touch), Lumia 920

PostPosted: Tuesday, 03.Mar.2015 00:46    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

What Bent meant is that it is simply better to have the global firmware version than some exotic one like Chinese or something like that.

The phone will do the OTA update without any problems regardless of whether you change the product code or not, it's just that if the phone has some exotic product code then it will get the OTA update for that code (for that region) and not the global one. So unless you don't mind having some Chinese firmware, it is better to change the product code first and then get the OTA update of the global firmware version, i.e. with all European languages and stuff like that.

Changing the product code is simple, you just launch the Nemesis Suite, read the existing product code and (if it turns out to be some exotic one) simply replace it with the one you want to change it to and press the button to write it to the device.

After that, you'll have the global product code and you'll get the global (rather than Chinese) OTA update.

Google for "Nokia N9 product codes" for a list of codes and choose the one that suits you best.

The following users say THANKS! for this post: ginniec

ginniec
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
5 in 5 posts

PostPosted: Tuesday, 03.Mar.2015 03:00    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Oh thank you very much, that clarifies everything nicely. I've already found that list of codes, so all good. Thanks again. BTW, I'm Polish too (or rather of Polish extraction - was born in England). Smile
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1073 in 681 posts

Phone: Jolla, BB Z10, BB Passport, N950, N900, N8, Nexus 4 (Ubuntu Touch), Lumia 920

PostPosted: Tuesday, 03.Mar.2015 05:36    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Hey, nice to hear that! And congratulations on your N9.

As for Nokia Software Updater, it is very simple to use. It should detect your phone and its current firmware version automatically, then just ask you for permission to download and flash the update (if any).

Let us know when your N9 arrives Razz
ginniec
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
5 in 5 posts

PostPosted: Tuesday, 03.Mar.2015 07:25    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Thank you, it's good to know that it will be so easy to update.

Actually it will be my second N9. I dropped my current one and the screen has a small crack and a tiny bit missing out of the corner. Everything works OK, but it looks somewhat unsightly. I checked out other phones available nowadays, but didn't find anything I like as much as the N9. To me it's unique and such a shame Nokia left us all in the lurch and joined forces with Microsoft.
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1073 in 681 posts

PostPosted: Tuesday, 03.Mar.2015 18:10    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

I checked out other phones available nowadays, but didn't find anything I like as much as the N9.

I had the same problem but fortunately I found the Z10 which - I must say - turned out to be a proper N9 replacement (maybe not as open/unrestricted, but with lots of other advantages) and has been serving me really well for 2 years now.

Quote:

To me it's unique and such a shame Nokia left us all in the lurch and joined forces with Microsoft.

They didn't really 'join forces'. They were betrayed by a couple of greedy people who apparently for some personal benefits let Elop in and allowed him to do his job, and then Nokia was just eaten for breakfast and actually nothing remained. Microsoft has already fired nearly all Nokia staff (some 12,000 people or so), only a few execs remained. They only needed the technology and patents, nothing else.
ginniec
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
5 in 5 posts

PostPosted: Tuesday, 03.Mar.2015 21:14    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Yes, I've been reading here and on the net about the Z10 and it seems a worthy replacement - I might have to think about getting one - especially since it's supported and gets regular updates.
ginniec
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
5 in 5 posts

PostPosted: Tuesday, 03.Mar.2015 23:52    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

As I briefly mentioned in another thread, though I've ordered an N9, it's quite possible that the order will be cancelled - because they advertised the 16gb version in four colours (including white) and I ordered and paid for the white one. I've since learned (from your site) that Nokia did not make a 16gb white model (only 64gb). Their ordering system is extremely slow and I would imagine that once they realise there is no 16gb white model available, they will ask me to choose another colour. I will just say that I particularly wanted the white one (which is perfectly true) and wish to cancel. I hope there's no problem getting a refund. They've had my money for over a week now and the order is still "processing" which according to their website, can be up to 12 days! I'm not impressed by this as you can imagine.

If by some fluke they send me the 64gb model at the price I paid (NZ$200), well I shall be perfectly happy and may onsell it somewhere.

Anyway, a local supplier here in New Zealand has a hot deal for a white BB Z10 for NZ$304 and I've gone ahead and ordered it. I was so impressed by your recommendation and others I've read on the net, I decided I just had to have it! Smile Mr. Green
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1073 in 681 posts

PostPosted: Thursday, 05.Mar.2015 07:03    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

the order is still "processing" which according to their website, can be up to 12 days

Maybe those Chinese need the time to clone it, like everything else Wink

Quote:

Anyway, a local supplier here in New Zealand has a hot deal for a white BB Z10 for NZ$304 and I've gone ahead and ordered it. I was so impressed by your recommendation and others I've read on the net, I decided I just had to have it!

Good choice, I'm sure that you'll like it. In some aspects, it is quite similar to the N9. I really like its UI, and it's really stable and smooth, even though it is now more than 2 years old. The only thing that (sometimes) annoys me is that BB10 still does not support regular 3G video calls, only BBM video calls (but that's only between BB phones).

If you get it with the old 10.2.x OS, update it to the recently released 10.3.1.
ginniec
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
5 in 5 posts

PostPosted: Sunday, 08.Mar.2015 08:55    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Yes, updating it is the first thing I'll do, even before I put in the sim card I'm transferring from my old N9. I presume I can do this, as they're both micro sim.

The new (white) N9 has been shipped, though it will probably take a long time to get here. It will be interesting to see whether it is the 64GB version (unlikely, but you never know) or a reconditioned model of a different colour, which has been rehoused in a white case. If that's the case, there's no telling its age or condition and it might conk out next week. It's been advertised as "brand new", so selling it like this would surely be fraudulent, don't you think, Michael?

I'll be able to tell, by checking the product code, what colour it was originally and from which country. I'll keep you posted when it arrives.
ginniec
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
5 in 5 posts

PostPosted: Monday, 09.Mar.2015 11:21    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Actually I probably won't do the update - at least not yet. The latest news is that the update has been pulled, due to performance issues on the Z10 and Q10.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/BlackBerry-10-3-1-Rollout-for-Z10-and-Q 10-on-Hold-Due-to-Performance-Issues-475202.shtml

Have you had any problems since you updated to 10.3.1 Michael? From what I can gather, not everyone has problems, but there are sufficient numbers who do, for Blackberry to halt the update until they can fix the problems.
traxx
Site supporter
Site supporter

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
2 in 2 posts
Thanks given: 3

Phone: Nokia N8, Blackberry Z10

PostPosted: Tuesday, 10.Mar.2015 16:36    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

Have you had any problems since you updated to 10.3.1 Michael? From what I can gather, not everyone has problems, but there are sufficient numbers who do, for Blackberry to halt the update until they can fix the problems.

There seems to be a few performance issue.Example when you open app and quickly minimise the app to active frame,there is some jerkyness and no longer smooth.Some app also lag a bit when you quickly selecting or tapping.It still acceptable for me though the best about 10.3 is improved battery live.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> MeeGo Harmattan All times are GMT + 2 Hours

Go to page
1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic