MEEGO  SECTION
-My-MeeGo.com-
SOFTWARE STORECONTACT

My-Symbian.com Forums

My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo
Symbian & Linux based Communicator and Smartphone Info Center
The Oldest Symbian Community Website - Since 1999

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RulesRules   Log inLog in 
Lightweight, simplified version of the forumsMobile version
Nokia Store to be replaced by Opera Mobile Store

Go to page
Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> MeeGo Harmattan
View previous topic :: View next topic  
traxx
Site supporter
Site supporter

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
2 in 2 posts
Thanks given: 3

Phone: Nokia N8, Blackberry Z10

PostPosted: Saturday, 11.Apr.2015 13:11    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

And developer.nokia.com is no more. The page now reads:
Thank you for visiting.

As of March 31, 2015, Developer.nokia.com has been deactivated as a result of the Microsoft acquisition of the Nokia Devices and Services business. Relevant content is now available from Microsoft or via Opera.

If you have questions on building great apps for Windows Phone, please visit the Microsoft Developer Network or the Windows Developer Center. You can download the development tools for free and start creating your Windows app that works across all Windows devices or you can catch up on the latest developer news through our MSDN Flash Newsletter.

If you have questions on developing apps for Asha, Nokia X, Series 40 and Series 60 phones, please visit Opera Mobile Store Publisher Portal.
--
Bent Laursen

And where is the symbian wiki which they promise to migrate.Looks like a promise is broken again.Luckily someone have a full archive of symbian wiki.Decades of symbian information is too valuable to be gone.

Quote:

I wonder when (and if) Microsoft will pay me my March revenue. It is just 10 Euros or so (as the Ovi store was hardly available to anyone in March) but I don't see absolutely ANY reasons why should I just let Microsoft have this money. They paid a few weeks ago for January and February without waiting for the remaining two weeks of March even though they knew that they were going to definitely shut down the store on March 15, so I'm very much afraid that IT WAS PLANNED NOT TO PAY anyone for March. They have a 100 EUR payment threshold, so now they will most probably be refusing to transfer the remaining money due to to the amount being lower than the payment threshold, or alternatively they will be offering to transfer the money for a transfer fee higher than the amount to be transferred....

I still have over 1++ euro on them dated back half year ago.Last payment on November due to wrong receiver name which i have no issue before microsoft take over Nokia Store.Now my payment have been drag until now and still no info.Just a simple wrong receiver and take almost half a year and counting to solve
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1092 in 696 posts
Thanks given: 286

Phone: Jolla, BB Z10, BB Passport, N950, N900, N8, Nexus 4 (Ubuntu Touch), Lumia 920

PostPosted: Saturday, 11.Apr.2015 14:10    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

Just a simple wrong receiver and take almost half a year and counting to solve

Similarly, for no reason they truncated my bank account number last year, which obviously caused my payments to stop coming. Luckily, after weeks of sending tons of emails to them demanding that they correct it and instantly send all the due revenue, someone fixed it and sent the due money. But now no one bothers to answer. Whole Microsoft.
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1092 in 696 posts

Phone: Jolla, BB Z10, BB Passport, N950, N900, N8, Nexus 4 (Ubuntu Touch), Lumia 920

PostPosted: Monday, 13.Apr.2015 12:32    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Got an answer. They said that "the final payment" will be sent on the last week of April.

We shall see.
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1092 in 696 posts

PostPosted: Saturday, 02.May.2015 14:56    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

So.... has anyone released his Symbian apps in the Opera store? traxx or anyone else? Can you share your experiences?
traxx
Site supporter
Site supporter

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
2 in 2 posts

PostPosted: Saturday, 02.May.2015 15:44    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

I forgot that i have one free app Nokia Store.By the time i remembered which is few weeks ago,the date already past so too late to migrate.I have no plan to migrate the paid apps so that it doesn't bother me.I think i might have to abandon my symbian version app.Working on my own payment is too labour intensive and time consuming as i have to set up paypal,imei verification system and support.Probably will just make the app free and do free update.At least this way some people will enjoy it.

Quote:

Got an answer. They said that "the final payment" will be sent on the last week of April.

Got my remittance advice but again the name is wrong so it is like no payment at all and instead of 1++ euro i only got 3+ euro.Tomorrow will need to dig up those old invoice to see which invoice payment they missed.Kind of tired and sometimes wish to abandon developing.Blackberry bad bad sale,Nokia Store closure,keep track of payment and euro value depreciation in euro currency really make me tired.I think i will have to wait one more month to get my payment.
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1092 in 696 posts

PostPosted: Sunday, 03.May.2015 15:10    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

Kind of tired and sometimes wish to abandon developing.Blackberry bad bad sale

As I wrote earlier, give Cascades a try. Once you port your application to Cascades and then get it BfB certified, your sales will improve.

Developing in Cascades is really OK. Initially, I didn't like that they didn't use standard Qt/QtQuick but now I must say that it wasn't a bad decision because with Cascades one can fully use BB10's unique features in a proper way. Getting familiar with Cascades is easy because the documentation is really superb and there are also countless examples available.

Apparently, for BB10 users to start buying an application, it must have an entirely native look, and it has to be BfB certified or else it is hard to find. My "MoonCalc" app was initially available as a QtQuick port from Symbian and it was getting a few sales a month. Once I ported it to Cascades and got it BfB certified, it gets several sales a day and it has only 5-star ratings and extremely positive reviews.

https://appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/content/28025177/

So try it, it's worth the effort. Once you get familar with Cascades, you won't want to go back to QtQuick + Symbian Components.
traxx
Site supporter
Site supporter

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
2 in 2 posts

PostPosted: Wednesday, 06.May.2015 17:04    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

With current BlackBerry development roadmap,i will wait for a few months first to see if there is any improvement on device sales or change on their current direction as i don't want to waste effort to learn cascade only at the end get disappointed.I started to learn and understand qml and only o get Nokia abandon Qt and it's platform.Now Qt is nowhere supported by any major device.Android use java,ios use objective c,window not even sure so leaving Qt/Qml just like a sidekick(couldn' find a suitable word).Will never fully optimize to run on those OS according to my understanding.

Anyway since this beginning of month i have push a new major update with new feature and so far already got a dozen of sales.I hope current sales can maintain or keep it's momentum.

Quote:
Apparently, for BB10 users to start buying an application, it must have an entirely native look, and it has to be BfB certified or else it is hard to find.
BfB is good for a reference but the way BlackBerry promote like it is exclusive and always make BfB apps on top spot that annoy me.BfB will just make those non BfB apps push into corner no matter how good the app is if the developers didn't apply for it.I myself when download apps never care if the is BfB or not as long as the is good and not android apps.
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1092 in 696 posts

PostPosted: Thursday, 07.May.2015 00:36    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

Now Qt is nowhere supported by any major device.Android use java

Qt Runtime is available for Android and Google allows Qt apps in Google Play store, so you can develop in Qt for Android without problems. I've seen posts of developers who released their Qt apps in Google Play and got hundreds of thousands of downloads and quite positive ratings.

See http://doc.qt.io/qt-5/android-support.html

... and if you can develop in Qt for 1+ billion Android users, why would you care about Windows Phone or iOS....

Also remember that BB10 does contain Qt 4.8. You cannot mix Cascades and QtQuick in QML (user interface) code, but in C++ you can freely use (and mix) all of the available APIs - Cascades, Qt, native QNX (e.g. BPS)... It's more flexible than on any other platform.

Quote:

BfB is good for a reference but the way BlackBerry promote like it is exclusive and always make BfB apps on top spot that annoy me.BfB will just make those non BfB apps push into corner no matter how good the app is if the developers didn't apply for it.I myself when download apps never care if the is BfB or not as long as the is good and not android apps.

I didn't like too much the way it works, either. But I had to face it. So I simply started to gradually submit my apps for BfB approval. It's not that bad, at least it forces you to fully polish your apps, which is actually a good thing. Previously, I didn't care that much whether my app was using 10 or 50 MB memory, or 5% or 0,01% CPU time, whereas now I can proudly say that all my BfB-certified apps are optimized to the maximum extent. So in this regard BfB plays a very positive role. Besides, as I wrote, in most cases sales improved considerably, so it certainly is worth the hassle.
traxx
Site supporter
Site supporter

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
2 in 2 posts

PostPosted: Wednesday, 13.May.2015 16:28    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Looks like it is not so hard to apply for BFB.Only 5 issues to solve and the hardest is just to create application menu which i will create a custom component just to satisfy the requirement.

Quote:

To qualify for the Built for BlackBerry designation, your app needs these improvements:

- Please add an application menu to your app. The application menu should have it least one of the following: Setting (right), Info, Help (left) (http://developer.blackberry.com/devzone/design/bb10/menus.html#appmen u).
- Please move the setting options and (About and Help) in the three stripes button to the Application menu.
- Text “XXXX Stations”, “Under Development” section are truncated. (BlackBerry Q10 10.2.1)
- The app should only use the swipe up action to close it. No buttons to close it should be used. Please remove the ‘Exit’ button from inside your app.
- Please provide a privacy policy since the app must provide a link to your privacy policy information in the vendor portal of BlackBerry® World™. Please follow these steps to do so:
1. In your browser, visit https://appworld.blackberry.com/isvportal
2. Log in to the Vendor Portal for BlackBerry World using a user account with Admin role
3. Select Manage Account Details
4. In the Vendor Info tab, new and existing vendors can enter a URL for their (company’s) privacy policy in the Privacy Policy URL field
5. Click Save
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1092 in 696 posts

PostPosted: Wednesday, 13.May.2015 18:28    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

It's not hard at all. Out of four apps I submitted for BfB so far, two were accepted without any changes, and in case of the remaining two I was only asked to change a location of a button, or to include Action Bar on one of the pages.

It is very nice how they inform you in detail about all of the changes they require, and you can also email them as many times as you wish and there's a very communicative and knowledgeable guy called Bryan who will answer all your emails and explain everything, often within minutes.

Moreover, you don't have to agree with their decisions or requirements. If you think their decision is wrong, just email them and (if you're right) they will accept your opinion. For instance, my MoonCalc app was rejected the first time and they told me that I need to move its "Help" button on all pages from the lower Action Bar to the upper Application menu. I did not agree with that because according to their own UI guidelines the upper Application Menu is only for application-wide items whereas functions related to a specific page in the app should be in the lower Action Bar. In my app, every page has its own, separate Help/Info page related only to that page and explaining functions of that very page only, so obviously it should be in the Action Bar. I emailed them and explained this, and Bryan agreed with my explanation and accepted the application without any changes needed.

...which is a completely different experience than it was in the Nokia Store where you were getting a meaningless email with incomprehensible information and if you tried to discuss it then you had to wait two days for every response that looked as if it was sent by a robot, not really explaining anything just repeating the same over and over again.

Another nice thing is that you do not have to re-submit any updates to BfB. Once your app is approved, you publish all updates normally (like with non-BfB apps) and they check them automatically and without any additional delays.

So it really isn't that bad. It's actually a one-time effort per app, in exchange for which you get a much better promotion of your app in the store, and much more people at least check your app (a lot of BB10 users still think that only apps with BfB logo are native apps and all the apps without BfB logo are Android apps...)

Good luck!

---

P.S. As I wrote previously, you can also develop in Qt for Android and you can normally distribute such apps in Google Play. Recent releases of the Qt Runtime provide native Android look and feel of controls, indistinguishable from "native" Android apps. It's Qt 5 / QtQuick 2, so some changes to Symbian/MeeGo Qt 4.8 / QtQuick 1.0 apps are needed to port them, but it's not any harder than to port them to Sailfish OS. The only missing bit on Android is lack of WebKit. I haven't yet had the time to port any of my apps to Android's Qt, but I'm planning to do it soon.
traxx
Site supporter
Site supporter

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
2 in 2 posts

PostPosted: Thursday, 14.May.2015 16:40    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

Moreover, you don't have to agree with their decisions or requirements. If you think their decision is wrong, just email them and (if you're right) they will accept your opinion. For instance, my MoonCalc app was rejected the first time and they told me that I need to move its "Help" button on all pages from the lower Action Bar to the upper Application menu. I did not agree with that because according to their own UI guidelines the upper Application Menu is only for application-wide items whereas functions related to a specific page in the app should be in the lower Action Bar. In my app, every page has its own, separate Help/Info page related only to that page and explaining functions of that very page only, so obviously it should be in the Action Bar. I emailed them and explained this, and Bryan agreed with my explanation and accepted the application without any changes needed.

I won't risk that as you and i know that my apps is not native app.My guess is the tester never use Symbian device before and though the UI similiarity is just a custom UI. It is better to just change as they wish.Just an extra step to access settings is a little inconvenience but at least the app will get BFB tag. Contacting the Bryan might cause them to aware of the Symbian component use and totally reject my app for not using cascade.

I already started cascade version using Qt Creator until i found out that my app actually qualify for BFBs so it is on hold first. If you notice TAOT https://github.com/leppa/taot also use Qt Creator from the look of project structure.
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1092 in 696 posts

PostPosted: Tuesday, 26.May.2015 17:03    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

So.... did you get your app BfB approved?
traxx
Site supporter
Site supporter

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
2 in 2 posts

PostPosted: Wednesday, 27.May.2015 15:37    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Michal Jerz wrote:
So.... did you get your app BfB approved?

Making a custom application menu seem to be much more complicated than i first though so now i just make a little progress day by day as mentioned previously i no longer active in development as before and my free time is now occupy by research motorcycle instead of coding like previouly.

It is better for me to catch up on my competitor whic also didn't have BFB in term of features first before focus on BFB as both our app are doing the same.The app seems to based on window 8 UI as the use round icon and big and small font extensively though it still use cascade.It manage to garner hundred of reviews if though it enter BBW later than me.This prove that it is app functionality issue rather than app visibility.
BentL

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
482 in 354 posts
Thanks given: 113

Phone: N9, N900, E90, 9300i, 9300, 9210

PostPosted: Sunday, 23.Aug.2015 18:10    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

The Internet Archive has archived the Nokia Store, see:

http://web.archive.org/web/20150116120816/http://store.ovi.com/home

In order to download an application, one has to append a /download to the URL of the application, e.g. BWizzFree for editing browser bookmarks:

http://web.archive.org/web/20150214040933/http://store.ovi.com/content  /333998

can be downloaded with the link:

http://web.archive.org/web/20150214040933/http://store.ovi.com/content  /333998/download

There is no way to set the device to Nokia N9, so all applications for all devices are shown.

--
Bent Laursen

The following users say THANKS! for this post: ginniec, N/A

Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> MeeGo Harmattan All times are GMT + 2 Hours

Go to page
Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic