MEEGO  SECTION
-My-MeeGo.com-
SOFTWARE STORECONTACT

My-Symbian.com Forums

My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo
Symbian & Linux based Communicator and Smartphone Info Center
The Oldest Symbian Community Website - Since 1999

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RulesRules   Log inLog in 
Lightweight, simplified version of the forumsMobile version
New Sailfish OS 2.0 (1.1.9.28) available for early access

Go to page
1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> Jolla Sailfish OS
View previous topic :: View next topic  
naytsyrhc
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
43 in 43 posts
Thanks given: 114

Phone: History [/// R380s, SE P800, SE P910i, SE M600i, Nokia E71, Nokia N9, Jolla 1], Current [Sony Xperia X Compact SFOS]

PostPosted: Wednesday, 09.Sep.2015 17:39    Post subject: New Sailfish OS 2.0 (1.1.9.28) available for early access   Reply with quote   

The latest version 1.1.7.28 was just released for all users and now 1.1.9.28 is released for early access users. The name is almost pronouncable this time: "Eineheminlampi". Wink

I'll update today and report back. As I could already see in OpenRepos a lot of patches have been released by several developers to change new behaviour back to old behaviour (e.g. Swipe-Close/-Lock, Cover-actions). Let's see if I'll need one of those patches or if I can live with the new gestures from Jolla.
naytsyrhc
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
43 in 43 posts

Phone: History [/// R380s, SE P800, SE P910i, SE M600i, Nokia E71, Nokia N9, Jolla 1], Current [Sony Xperia X Compact SFOS]

PostPosted: Wednesday, 09.Sep.2015 17:41    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Sorry, forgot to mention release notes, please check here:

https://together.jolla.com/question/107685/release-notes-119eineheminl ampi-early-access/
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1092 in 696 posts
Thanks given: 286

Phone: Jolla, BB Z10, BB Passport, N950, N900, N8, Nexus 4 (Ubuntu Touch), Lumia 920

PostPosted: Wednesday, 09.Sep.2015 18:37    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Makes one wonder why in addition to the impossible to remember and spell OS release names of Finnish lakes the 2.0 OS release has 1.1.x.x version number...

I'll test it later today.
naytsyrhc
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
43 in 43 posts

PostPosted: Wednesday, 09.Sep.2015 18:49    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Yeah, that's funny. I expected at least 1.2
naytsyrhc
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
43 in 43 posts

PostPosted: Wednesday, 09.Sep.2015 21:53    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Ok, I installed and tried for a while.

1st impression is good.

Update was easy and worked flawlessly as always. Took less than 20 minutes (without download).

What I like is that it's now possible to always go to events view with left edge swipe, always go to app launcher by bottom edge swipe and always go to home screen with right edge swipe. I got used to that so fast I don't really remember previois behaviour.

I also have the feeling that the overall performance improved, but maybe this is just subjective, I don't have measurements.

What I'm not so sure about is the UI changes. The buttons were nicer before IMHO allthough I can understand that the new design is probably easier to recognize by new users. The same goes for the pulley menu.

Issues encountered so far:
Currently the TOHKBD does not work anymore.

I'll try to add more later...
naytsyrhc
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
43 in 43 posts

PostPosted: Wednesday, 09.Sep.2015 21:56    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Ah, one major improvement:

the one hour shift of calendar entries from owncloud server seems to be fixed Very Happy
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1092 in 696 posts

Phone: Jolla, BB Z10, BB Passport, N950, N900, N8, Nexus 4 (Ubuntu Touch), Lumia 920

PostPosted: Wednesday, 09.Sep.2015 23:11    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Updated.

First impression: the new look and feel is a VERY POSITIVE change. It's smoother, more logical, very elegant. I also have the impression of an improved overall performance, at least the UI definitely feels snappier.

Got into the Tutorial right after update. It is really beautiful, but is there a way to interrupt it? I went through all of it as I was impressed by its look, but I wouldn't want to have to go through it again.

Guess what popped up multiple times during the Tutorial..... "Problem with Store" toast. DAMN, not again! Fortunately, then it seems to have fixed by itself as it didn't reappear after I closed the Tutorial and I was also able to update an application from the Store and also install a new one. But I would very much prefer not to see this message ever again, after I had to do a factory reset because of that not so long ago.

Overall, I definitely like this update very much. At least when it comes to look and feel, it really gives now the impression of a MATURE smartphone OS. Beautiful and elegant, different than others but in a fully positive sense. It has that something that previous releases still lacked (and felt unfinished or not well thought out because of that). Judging stability will take some more tests, so I'll add some more comments to it a little bit later. For now, I can honestly say: GOOD JOB. This new look and feel of Sailfish OS 2.0 leaves Ubuntu Touch *WAY* behind, and I even start liking the UI not any less than I like BB10.
naytsyrhc
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
43 in 43 posts

PostPosted: Thursday, 10.Sep.2015 09:17    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Hey there,

some more thoughts after playing around with SFOS 2.0:

The "new" gesture that swiping from top always opens the ambience menu and presenting a lock button you have to press in order to lock the screen puzzled me in the first place. Luckily you could change the behaviour in new gestures menu and set the option to easily close applications by swiping down (same behaviour as in previous releases). However the need to press the lock symbol was still present and I don't like it. Fortunately there is a patch in warehouse (openrepos.net) that enables lock by just swiping down. The patch adds a setting to new gestures menu where you can set the "swiping threshhold" to lock (e.g. swiping up to 30% of screen down locks the phone). If you swipe further, the ambience menu is accessable. This patch is great and I think this behaviour should have been there in the first place (follows the principle of pulley menus).

The new events screen is really great. It reminds me of the old Meego events screen. And I really love that I can always get there with a left edge swipe. Peaking is also possible. Fantastic. Unfortunately when unlocking the phone from lock screen with a left edge swipe opens the home screen. I'd expect the events screen as well as I could unlock by right edge swipe if I wanted to go to home screen.

The cover actions have been reduced to only one action for some applications. The action has to be acticvated by pressing the lower third of cover. I first thought that the only allow one action (I read it somewhere), but media player still has two actions. So left lower part is pause, right lower part is skip. I think I will adapt to it allthough large covers should now be a must in order to still buttons big enough to press.

When pressing the empty home screen, the 4 icon quick launch bar will show which is very nice. However if only one app is open and shows it's cover on home screen, this actions is not possible anymore. Don't know if this is a bug. I'd like to still have access to that launch bar even if apps are open.

If I find more new features or changed behaviour, I'll report.
Casanunda
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
52 in 48 posts
Thanks given: 321

Phone: n900, Jolla

PostPosted: Thursday, 10.Sep.2015 10:04    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

naytsyrhc wrote:
Yeah, that's funny. I expected at least 1.2

Well, they say they just introduced the new UI with this update, but some bigger changes in the whole framework are ecpected in the next update.
That will be the "real" SFOS 2.0" and will have a version number 1.2.xx .

Actually the current release seems to be an intermediate release they added because the "full upgrade" to Sailfish OS 2.0 is taking longer than planned and they needed some OS with new UI before they deliver the tablet.
naytsyrhc
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
43 in 43 posts

PostPosted: Thursday, 10.Sep.2015 11:20    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:
Got into the Tutorial right after update. It is really beautiful, but is there a way to interrupt it? I went through all of it as I was impressed by its look, but I wouldn't want to have to go through it again.

Same question came up on tjc:

https://together.jolla.com/question/88093/how-do-i-cancel-tutorial/

Look there, there are two possibilities to do so...
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1092 in 696 posts

PostPosted: Thursday, 10.Sep.2015 16:43    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

That will be the "real" SFOS 2.0" and will have a version number 1.2.xx .

Shouldn't "real SFOS 2.0" be simply 2.0.x.x? I'm not complaining, I am talking about some simplification here.

Quote:

Look there, there are two possibilities to do so...

I'd suggest adding some more intuitive method to it. If not a direct way to close it anytime (e.g. by swiping down) then at least the third "Quit" button (in addition to "Repeat" and "Continue") shown between sections.

"Just tap the following screen corners in that particular order while on the starting page of the tutorial: top left top right bottom right bottom left'... it's easier to guess Lotto numbers than this.

Quote:

Luckily you could change the behaviour in new gestures menu and set the option to easily close applications by swiping down (same behaviour as in previous releases).

That's what I did instantly, too.

Quote:

The new events screen is really great. It reminds me of the old Meego events screen. And I really love that I can always get there with a left edge swipe. Peaking is also possible. Fantastic. Unfortunately when unlocking the phone from lock screen with a left edge swipe opens the home screen. I'd expect the events screen as well as I could unlock by right edge swipe if I wanted to go to home screen.

Agreed. It would make the UI much more consistent. If enabled in Settings, left edge swipe should be ALWAYS events, and right edge should be ALWAYS home.
naytsyrhc
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
43 in 43 posts

PostPosted: Thursday, 10.Sep.2015 17:18    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:
Agreed. It would make the UI much more consistent. If enabled in Settings, left edge swipe should be ALWAYS events, and right edge should be ALWAYS home.

Well, yes. As I know now, it's a known issue. In fact it's the first of the known issues in release notes that we are supposed to read before updating as early access users Embarassed

I asked that question on TJC and got that answer almost directly. Rolling Eyes
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1092 in 696 posts

PostPosted: Thursday, 10.Sep.2015 17:31    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Well, bottom line is that now *ALL* we need is that they finally start doing just about ANYTHING to support development of native apps. Once the proper 2.0 release is out, I'd expect that they:

* release a final SDK - complete, fully functional and fully stable, with both the phone and tablet support in the simulator

* add even just the most basic payment option to the store. Even just Paypal. ANYTHING will be better than nothing. I mean a payment that needs to be made in order to get the app, and not providing the app for free while showing a donation button that 99,9% of users pretend not to see. It's not a developers' greed, it's the only way to make Sailfish OS development bring just about any revenue, i.e. attract any new developers. The way it is now, forces all developers to provide all their apps for free, and just HOPE that someone will donate, with results not much different than the level of response to my requests for donations to keep this site alive, i.e. none.

* complete the support of all Qt libs and QML imports in Harbour, so that at least all official Qt APIs are allowed, like in any other store.

* update and complete the documentation of Silica and any SFOS-unique APIs.

* simply start TALKING about native development, encouraging developers to come and develop for this platform.

That's all, and it isn't much. If they do it, you'll see much, much more of native apps coming out, take my word.
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1092 in 696 posts

PostPosted: Thursday, 24.Sep.2015 16:30    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Today I got an email that Sailfish OS 2.0 is now available for everyone, but the device finds no updates. Does it mean that they've made available for all users that very same "early access" version without any improvements or fixes for bugs reported by those who installed it? If so, what was the point in releasing that early access update at all? Shocked

Also, while SFOS 2.0 is now officially out, there is still no SDK supporting it. Good job.
naytsyrhc
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
43 in 43 posts

PostPosted: Thursday, 24.Sep.2015 17:44    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Yes. That's just as it was intended. If there os no major bug, just the same version gets rolled out to the masses. It's funny because I think there have been some bugs that I'd call major. E.g. the problem that if you mess around with your ambience you can accidently totally turn silent any alarm. It's good to have that feature , but some people complaint about having been late to work because they didn't know they turned the alarm totally silent.[/b]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> Jolla Sailfish OS All times are GMT + 2 Hours

Go to page
1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic