MEEGO  SECTION
-My-MeeGo.com-
SOFTWARE STORECONTACT

My-Symbian.com Forums

My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo
Symbian & Linux based Communicator and Smartphone Info Center
The Oldest Symbian Community Website - Since 1999

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RulesRules   Log inLog in 
Lightweight, simplified version of the forumsMobile version
Turing Phone with Sailfish OS

Go to page
1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> Jolla Sailfish OS
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BentL

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
482 in 354 posts
Thanks given: 113

Phone: N9, N900, E90, 9300i, 9300, 9210

PostPosted: Tuesday, 02.Feb.2016 19:31    Post subject: Turing Phone with Sailfish OS   Reply with quote   

Turing Robotic Industries will ship the Turing Phone with Sailfish OS in April 2016, see announcement:

Quote:
Sailfish

Dear Turing Fans,

You will be pleased to know that we have ironed out the final development tasks before we deliver the Turing Phone to your hands. We fully expect the Turing Phone to be delivered in the month of April 2016.

Many of you have asked numerous times through our Facebook fan page as well as emailed us about our OS development. We can now confirm that TRI has chosen to drop Android and use Jolla's Sailfish OS. Sailfish OS is now running perfectly on the Turing Phone and we have started the final OS software testing phase.

Sailfish OS runs exceptionally fast on the Turing. You will not have to worry about performance issues with Turing's Snapdragon 801 because Sailfish OS has been optimized to run fast on your Turing Phone. The Turing Phone will still be able to run Android Apps on the Sailfish OS without issue. An Android application store will be available for you to download your favorite apps.

The Sailfish OS is an evolved continuation of the Linux MeeGo OS previously developed by an alliance of Nokia and Intel. MeeGo mobile software platform was created through the merging of Moblin and the Maemo OS originally developed by Nokia.

This essentially means you have one of the world's fastest mobile device running the fastest mobile OS with the capability of running your favorite apps in a secure environment.

TRI will also be hosting its first Turing Developers Conference (TDC) during Q2 2016.

We can't wait to get the phones out to your hands. Thank you so much for your continued patience and support for the Turing Project.

Turing Phone Team | Turing Robotic Industries

--
Bent Laursen
Ketilk
Site supporter
Site supporter

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
50 in 45 posts
Thanks given: 6

Phone: Sony Xperia XA(Android 7.0), Jolla, N9 , N900, N97-mini,

PostPosted: Tuesday, 02.Feb.2016 20:56    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

This project looks cool, hope they will succeed. They focus on security so it will be interesting to see how they tweak sailfishos in that direction. The only thing that is cooler than a non-android linux based phone, is a security oriented non-android linux based phone.
MeowTseDong
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
9 in 9 posts
Thanks given: 2

Phone: Nokia

PostPosted: Wednesday, 03.Feb.2016 00:56    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

It's good to see that it will always be alternatives for people who do not want be forced to Android, iOS or Windows Phone (er. Mobile). They can conspire all they want to force to abandon other OSes but it will always be another. Latest fatality is BB10, so this might be my next phone who knows.
AVR4000
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
59 in 43 posts
Thanks given: 8

Phone: Nokia N70, Nokia N95 8 GB, Nokia E52, Nokia E61, Nokia 9300i, Nokia E90, Sony Xperia Z Ultra C6802 and C6833

PostPosted: Wednesday, 03.Feb.2016 14:08    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

The most important thing here is to provide native, paid applications in the store. If it turns out to be an "Android compatible" platform with 100% dependency on Android apps without native development, problems is bound to arise.

If they stimulate native development, the Turing Phone can be really interesting.
naytsyrhc
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
43 in 43 posts
Thanks given: 114

Phone: History [/// R380s, SE P800, SE P910i, SE M600i, Nokia E71, Nokia N9, Jolla 1], Current [Sony Xperia X Compact SFOS]

PostPosted: Wednesday, 03.Feb.2016 15:49    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

I'm really sceptical about that.

On one hand I appreciate another device with SFOS, it could be the move in the right direction. The missing puzzle for Jolla to succeed. The claims would very well fit Jollas attitude (secure). Even the design matches partly the 1st Jolla phone.

But on the other hand I can't really trust Turing. There is no kind of corporate information on there website whatsoever. Who is this company, where is their head office, who manufactures the devices?

The press about that mail doesn't seem to like the move to deliver the device with SFOS instead of Android either. Some suggest preorderers to request a refund. And most comments are bad and don't like this change.

The schedule of that project is already late and I'm a bit afraid that if they do not succeed it's really bad reputation for Jolla as the tablet campaign unfortunately was as well.

So, let's hope they succeed and let's hope the press can be convinced that it was a good move by Turing that it dropped Android in favor of Sailfish.

If so, it'll be good reputation for Jolla/Sailfish and a move in the right direction.
MeowTseDong
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
9 in 9 posts

PostPosted: Wednesday, 03.Feb.2016 22:51    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

naytsyrhc wrote:
But on the other hand I can't really trust Turing. There is no kind of corporate information on there website whatsoever. Who is this company, where is their head office, who manufactures the devices?

Headquarters:
One Market Plaza 36th Floor San Francisco, California 94104 United States

If I'm not mistaken, they are San Fransisco based. This means that they are subject to US laws just as much as Microsoft, they have to implement ways for "authorities" to be able to get into your phone or track it.

So this might just as well be Jolla Sailfish with privacy invading features added.
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1092 in 696 posts
Thanks given: 286

Phone: Jolla, BB Z10, BB Passport, N950, N900, N8, Nexus 4 (Ubuntu Touch), Lumia 920

PostPosted: Thursday, 04.Feb.2016 03:09    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

Turing Robotic Industries

Catchy name. Might as well be Space Industries or Galactic Technologies... Never heard of them before.

Anyway, the specs are really nice. Quad-core 2.5 GHz Krait, Full HD display, 13 MPix camera, 3 GB RAM... More or less what the BB Passport offers. And it even has temperature/humidity sensors, which provide lots of possibilities for making useful applications.

On the other hand, non-removable battery and proprietary charger suck big time and smell Apple. And so do prices of 600-800 USD (depending on capacity), at least the promotional video states so. As well as only 10,000 units to be made this year.

And what I don't like the most is this part: "The Turing Phone will still be able to run Android Apps on the Sailfish OS without issue. An Android application store will be available for you to download your favorite apps". No single word about native applications, again, and not even plans to ever have them. No message aimed at Sailfish OS developers to start creating native apps for this new SFOS device. Same old cr*p, full reliance on Android compatibility.

Anyway, it's going to be the first ever (non-Jolla) device to originally ship with Sailfish OS (rather than just make it possible to install a semi-finished community port), so I wish it all the best and deeply hope that others will follow. If it ever sees the light of day, that is.
AVR4000
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
59 in 43 posts
Thanks given: 8

Phone: Nokia N70, Nokia N95 8 GB, Nokia E52, Nokia E61, Nokia 9300i, Nokia E90, Sony Xperia Z Ultra C6802 and C6833

PostPosted: Thursday, 04.Feb.2016 14:33    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

I think the Turing Phone is technically interesting with the nanocoating used, which provide water proofing even if the device isn't watertight since the components are protected (i.e. a different way of obtaining it than the traditional insulation way).

Having a proprietary charger is a big problem and it is a big question mark to use SF as an "Android compatible" platform. They should promote the native development since "Android compatibility" just send the wrong signals and prevent the use of unique capabilities of the system. I don't feel any attraction to a device where "Android apps" is marketed as the key benefit since it is just easier to get something with Android if "Android apps" is considered the most important feature.

The best option is to build a native eco system. Some Android compatibility could be provided but not heavily marketed.

If they consider it "absolutely vital" to have "Android apps" I think they should create an environment similar to Apple did with Carbon. I.e. taking the existing Android runtimes and fork them and create a version with native capabilities, i.e. providing a way to easily "convert" an Android app to a Sailfish one with full SF features without the need for a complete rewrite.

Apple did it with Carbon, which where an updated version of Macintosh ToolBox and it turned out that existing applications could receive a full "Mac OS X Makeover" in a few hours without the need for a complete rewrite in Cocoa.

If a similar solution is employed for Sailfish and the feature is marketed with the simplicity of porting/converting existing Android apps to SF compatibility and features, everything would be great.
BentL

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
482 in 354 posts
Thanks given: 113

Phone: N9, N900, E90, 9300i, 9300, 9210

PostPosted: Thursday, 04.Feb.2016 20:13    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

The Turing Phone will come with Google Play Store, see Phonescoop:

Quote:
Turing Says Sailfish Phone to Include Google Play Store

Turing today said the Turing Phone will allow owners to access the Play Store and standard Android apps, even though the phone runs Sailfish OS. "Turing Phone supports Google Play Store and Android apps via the Alien Dalvik engine running on the Sailfish OS 2.0," said Turing to Phonescoop in an email. The company has dropped Google's Android platform in favor of Sailfish OS for its security-focused smartphone, due later this year. Sailfish, based on Linux, was developed and is licensed by Jolla.

--
Bent Laursen
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1092 in 696 posts

Phone: Jolla, BB Z10, BB Passport, N950, N900, N8, Nexus 4 (Ubuntu Touch), Lumia 920

PostPosted: Thursday, 04.Feb.2016 21:23    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

Having a proprietary charger is a big problem

Especially with so uncommon device, where if the charger breaks you cannot go to any shop and buy it, or just use any of countless microUSB chargers you already own. The very same applies to non-removable battery, which will make things even worse than in case of Jolla's proprietary (but at least removable) battery.

Quote:

If they consider it "absolutely vital" to have "Android apps" I think they should create an environment similar to Apple did with Carbon.

First of all, someone has to finally start at least TALKING about native development because for 3 years it's been actually a TABOO subject. Either they finally start doing something about it, or SFOS will remain just an OS to run the Android runtime forever.

Quote:

Turing today said the Turing Phone will allow owners to access the Play Store and standard Android apps, even though the phone runs Sailfish OS. "Turing Phone supports Google Play Store and Android apps via the Alien Dalvik engine running on the Sailfish OS 2.0," said Turing to Phonescoop in an email. The company has dropped Google's Android platform in favor of Sailfish OS for its security-focused smartphone, due later this year. Sailfish, based on Linux, was developed and is licensed by Jolla.

That's interesting, because we're always told that Google doesn't allow it. For that reason - allegedly - BB10 never offered access to Google Play (officially, because one can install it within a few minutes). It would be very interesting to know if Google made an exception for a small and unknown company which has just dropped Android in favor of SFOS.
MeowTseDong
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
9 in 9 posts

PostPosted: Thursday, 04.Feb.2016 23:58    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

AVR4000 wrote:
Having a proprietary charger is a big problem

It's not only a problem it is also illegal in Europe. They will not be allowed to sell it if it doesn't support standard USB chargers.
Casanunda
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
52 in 48 posts
Thanks given: 321

Phone: n900, Jolla

PostPosted: Friday, 05.Feb.2016 17:07    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

MeowTseDong wrote:
[...]

It's not only a problem it is also illegal in Europe. They will not be allowed to sell it if it doesn't support standard USB chargers.

Unless they provide an adapter with every sold phone.
THat's the way Apple gets around having microUSB connector on theri iPhones.

This alone is a reason for me to not buy this phone...
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1092 in 696 posts

PostPosted: Friday, 05.Feb.2016 21:23    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

Unless they provide an adapter with every sold phone.
THat's the way Apple gets around having microUSB connector on theri iPhones.

Which is cr*p because no one carries that adapter with him all the time, and those who do quickly lose it.
naytsyrhc
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
43 in 43 posts
Thanks given: 114

Phone: History [/// R380s, SE P800, SE P910i, SE M600i, Nokia E71, Nokia N9, Jolla 1], Current [Sony Xperia X Compact SFOS]

PostPosted: Friday, 05.Feb.2016 21:49    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

AFAIK it's not illegal to have a non USB Adapter on phone side in europe as long as charger side is standard USB and has USB charging specs (i.e. 5V 1A). Apple sells the iphones without issues and with proprietary phone side chargers as well.

What puzzles me is, why did they really change OS. Licensing costs? Or are they really convinced by SFOS? If the later, that'll be really good news.
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1092 in 696 posts

PostPosted: Saturday, 06.Feb.2016 18:35    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

What puzzles me is, why did they really change OS. Licensing costs? Or are they really convinced by SFOS?

If they really intend to only ship 10,000 units, i.e. make it a niche product by definition, maybe it turned out that it will be better for them to make it even more exotic with SFOS. I mean, maybe it's easier to sell such quantity to a tiny but devoted (and hungry for a new device) group of SFOS users than on the heavily overcrowded Android market. They've seen how many people preordered the Jolla tablet (which they won't get) and they hope that all those people will instantly buy their device to replace the aging Jolla.

And I guess that it's a correct calculation and that they'll easily sell those 10,000 units to existing Jolla fans. It's just that.... it won't make the SFOS marketshare grow at all as mostly (or only) existing Jolla users will buy it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> Jolla Sailfish OS All times are GMT + 2 Hours

Go to page
1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic