MEEGO  SECTION
-My-MeeGo.com-
SOFTWARE STORECONTACT

My-Symbian.com Forums

My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo
Symbian & Linux based Communicator and Smartphone Info Center
The Oldest Symbian Community Website - Since 1999

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RulesRules   Log inLog in 
Lightweight, simplified version of the forumsMobile version
BB Priv issues...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> Android
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ABCDKE
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Thanks received:
1 in 1 posts
Thanks given: 24

Phone: 700 4eva

PostPosted: Friday, 06.Jan.2017 17:13    Post subject: BB Priv issues...   Reply with quote   

Hi everyone, happy New Year and everything.

So recently my father bought a BB Priv to replace his E7... and...
well, the thing is garbage. Never, ever buy it. Just don't. Especially if you're coming from Symbian.

But that's not the point right now. We have some more concrete issues with the damn thing.

1. Sometimes the phone just kinda locks. The screen becomes black with only the clock on it. It happens completely randomly. Then, when you unlock it, it locks again... and again... and once more... and then it stops. What to do? It's annoying as hell.

2. I can't change the network mode. You know, 2G/3G/4G. When I choose some of the options, that menu just exits with a message that the "com.android.phone process has terminated". Help please.

The OS is Android 6.0.

Thanks in advance!

(It might've been better to ask on the Crackberry forums, but I don't wanna bother with registering at the moment Very Happy )
MeowTseDong
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
7 in 7 posts
Thanks given: 1

Phone: Nokia

PostPosted: Monday, 09.Jan.2017 16:36    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

I'm originally coming from Symbian and I have a Blackberry but one with BB10 operating system instead. Ironically I think that BB10 is great and a large number of pre-Symbian users think the same. I have used Android phones but quickly moved on from them because I didn't find Android something I would want to use.

Unfortunately, Blackberry moving to Android will kill them. That the phone is unstable just shows that the company has sunken and cannot even maintain an almost ready made OS. That's really what happens when you had your own OS which all the knowledge and power to do what you want with it, then just throw all that away do pursue something you don't even how to maintain.

Shame really.
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1073 in 681 posts
Thanks given: 285

Phone: Jolla, BB Z10, BB Passport, N950, N900, N8, Nexus 4 (Ubuntu Touch), Lumia 920

PostPosted: Tuesday, 10.Jan.2017 20:53    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

So recently my father bought a BB Priv to replace his E7... and...

well, the thing is garbage. Never, ever buy it. Just don't. Especially if you're coming from Symbian.

A few months ago I got the Passport, and a couple of weeks ago I upgraded it to the recently released 10.3.3. And I could not be happier. Smooth, stable, powerful (yes, not a new hardware but running entirely smoothly in 2017, which only shows how great OS BB10 is -- or was) and with the best battery life I've had on any device in the past 10 years or so. No matter what happens, I will keep happily using it over the next couple of years.

It really amuses me how Android users piss their pants that their devices have octacore 64-bit CPUs, while this Passport runs so smoothly on old-ish quadcore Snapdragon. Android's inefficiency apparently eats most of those high end CPUs' performance for nothing, and 64-bit is only needed to support more than 4 GB of RAM that Android also wastes for nothing. The Passport has 3 GB of which half remains free all the time...

As for Chendroid... I think that monthly security patches are the best answer of how 'secure' they managed to make it. It is just as much (or as little) secure as literally ANY other Android phone. The only difference is some BBRY apps preinstalled, but for a BB10 phone user it's nothing special as they are part of BB10, too.

For every person who is not obsessed about millions of apps, I can recommend getting the Passport now that they can be bought much cheaper. An extremely solid device with amazing battery life. Its Android runtime isn't new, but majority of Android apps do work on it quite well. Now it has three selectable screen modes for Android apps (normal, zoomed out and 16:9) so even those apps which do not 'like' its unusual screen aspect can be set to work in 16:9 mode.

If we don't count Jolla, it's probably the last non-Android (and non-iOS) such a solid smartphone on the market.

Why worry that they're killing it, if it just works anyway.
ginniec
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
5 in 5 posts
Thanks given: 15

Phone: E63, E.82, N8, N9, N900, 808, Blackberry Z10, Passport SE

PostPosted: Thursday, 12.Jan.2017 20:51    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Although I'm still using the Z10, I also have the Passport (SE) and agree it's just a great phone. I was very pleasantly surprised to get the 10.3.3 update a couple of weeks ago, as it had been promised for so long, I had given up on it.

Happy New Year to all (a bit late, but as they said BLTN). Smile
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1073 in 681 posts

Phone: Jolla, BB Z10, BB Passport, N950, N900, N8, Nexus 4 (Ubuntu Touch), Lumia 920

PostPosted: Thursday, 12.Jan.2017 23:26    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Happy New Year!

I used to criticize the Passport before I got it. But that's because it requires taking it in one's hands to realize what a fantastic device it is. The screen is just stunning, nothing else comes close. Even huge phablets can't compete, because that square screen of the Passport is simply unbeatable when it comes to Internet browsing, emails, documents, etc. While in case of movies - just like I suspected - almost half of the screen is taken by black bars due to its aspect ratio, the display itself is so huge that even that partial central area covered by the movie is still almost as large as the entire screen of a phone like the Z10. And that's without having to rotate the device to landscape like it is the case on 16:9 devices... Add to it that fantastic hardware keyboard and 100% smooth performance and there is absolutely NOTHING that could prevent me from using this phone a few more years.

It is also worth mentioning that while initially the Passport had some problems with certain Android apps due to its unusual screen ratio, now it has three display modes for Android apps to choose from (easily selectable from the top menu) which allow actually all apps run correctly on it.

I recently installed Android 7.1 (Cyanogenmod) on my Nexus and compared to the Passport it has absolutely nothing that would make me want to switch to an Android phone.
ABCDKE
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Thanks received:
1 in 1 posts

PostPosted: Sunday, 12.Feb.2017 19:56    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Asked on CrackBerry. Let's hope some kind soul will help.

http://forums.crackberry.com/ask-question-f432/some-strange-lock-scree n-pops-up-sometimes-bb-priv-1100043/?mn_qa=1#post12762180

edit: someone did, and it's apparently that Allstar Software guy who did all those nifty Symbian apps.

Quoting him for future generations:
"Looks a bit like the Lift to check phone feature screen in Android"

I have found a similar-sounding option, let's see if it helps.
If you're reading this, thank you!
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1073 in 681 posts

PostPosted: Wednesday, 15.Feb.2017 21:04    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Sorry, I don't have the Priv nor an intention to ever have it Wink so I can't be of much help here...
ABCDKE
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Thanks received:
1 in 1 posts

PostPosted: Thursday, 16.Feb.2017 16:32    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

You're lucky that you can't. That... thing is just horrible.
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1073 in 681 posts

PostPosted: Friday, 17.Feb.2017 13:49    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

The main reason why I do not want to have any BlackBerry Android phone is because they're locked. Which doesn't really mean much when it comes to security (apparently, they're susceptible to the very same threats as all the rest if they need to get the same monthly or quarterly security patches as any other Android phone) but it does mean a lot when it comes to the possibility of rooting it or flashing custom ROMs, which is simply not possible.

I still have the ancient Nexus 4, now with Android 7.1 (Cyanogen) and another mod to unlock the LTE radio (that LG locked due to no approval of some kind for this model) and it works just fine (as good as Android can work).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> Android All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic

Posting/discussing/exchanging warez/cracks/serial numbers/links to web sites offering such resources and/or any other illegal content
is FORBIDDEN on this forum and results in an immediate BAN.

Symbian and all Symbian-based marks and logos are trade marks of Symbian Software Limited.
This website is not in any way endorsed or supported by Symbian Software Limited.    (C) 2001 My-Symbian.com All Rights Reserved