MEEGO  SECTION
-My-MeeGo.com-
SOFTWARE STORECONTACT

My-Symbian.com Forums

My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo
Symbian & Linux based Communicator and Smartphone Info Center
The Oldest Symbian Community Website - Since 1999

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RulesRules   Log inLog in 
Lightweight, simplified version of the forumsMobile version
Sony Xperia devices with Sailfish OS

Go to page
Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> Jolla Sailfish OS
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BentL

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
481 in 353 posts
Thanks given: 110

Phone: N9, N900, E90, 9300i, 9300, 9210

PostPosted: Saturday, 04.Mar.2017 22:47    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Joona Petrell from Jolla has confirmed that it will be a fully productised version of Sailfish OS, including latest version of Dalvik, see tweet:

Quote:
Yes selected Xperia devices will get fully productised version of #SailfishOS, latest Dalvik included. Smile

--
Bent Laursen

The following users say THANKS! for this post: 4sm4r4

MeowTseDong
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
9 in 9 posts
Thanks given: 1

Phone: Nokia

PostPosted: Sunday, 05.Mar.2017 02:33    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

I have a question regarding Google Play and Jolla. This information is taken from Crackberry regarding Google Play.

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackberry-10-os-f269/why-bb10-doesnt-hav e-google-services-official-access-google-play-store-953753

However, the same conditions should apply for Jolla as well. When jolla is using Dalvik how much of Android and Google services can they really use?

Quote:
Membership in the Open Handset Alliance (OHA)
As part of membership in the OHA, agreeing not to fork Android (BB10’s Android runtime is a fork)

Any phone sold by an OHA that contains Android code must use Android as the base OS, and must have a start-up screen that states “Powered by Android”, using an approved logo in an approved size/color scheme/etc.

The implementation of Android on every OHA device must pass a Google Compatibility Test, which checks thousands of aspects of the phone to make sure everything is working as required to make full use of Google Services and Google Play Store apps.

A set of Google applications must be pre-installed by the manufacturer, and must be prominent. The application list is updated periodically as Google updates apps, but among current requirements are: Chrome, Google+, Drive, Hangouts, GMail, and others.

The Google Play Store must be pre-installed and must be the default apps and media store.

Licensing fees must be paid to Google, based on the number of phones manufactured. Manufacturers are directed to contact Google to negotiate those fees.

This may hint why Jolla doesn't emphasize their own store which is crazy in my opinion. The problem is when Jolla ship their phones with proprietary Google SW, these conditions apply. The only way for Jolla to become clean from the conditions is letting the users install Google services themselves. If Sony already have Google stuff in their phones then the above conditions apply.

Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1083 in 690 posts
Thanks given: 285

Phone: Jolla, BB Z10, BB Passport, N950, N900, N8, Nexus 4 (Ubuntu Touch), Lumia 920

PostPosted: Tuesday, 07.Mar.2017 00:21    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Installing Google Services and Google Play on BB10 takes as little as installing any other app. Technically, there is absolutely nothing preventing the use of Google Services on BB10. The same fully applies to SFOS. The only obstacle are legal reasons, i.e. Google simply not permitting it by non-OHA members and not on devices where Android is the main (and only) OS. The same legal restrictions are the reason why Alien Dalvik is stuck at Android 4.x.x

If BlackBerry didn't manage to make Google allow them use newer Android runtime and Google Services, which killed BB10 for good, then Jolla certainly won't do it, either. In other words, when it comes to Android compatibility in SFOS they've already reached their limits and there just won't be any upgrade, except maybe for some small tweaks and performance improvements.

Knowing it, they should be even more interested in building their own native ecosystem as quickly as possible, because the time runs out and their Android 4.x runtime will very soon become as outdated as what Android 2.x is now.

Suggesting users to grab from somewhere and install some unoficial, unsupported and not necessarily trusted or secure Google Services and Google Play packages just can't be considered a serious solution. I even doubt if they could suggest such a thing officially/openly.

Long story short, they do know very well that they already hit the wall when it comes to Android compatibility, yet it still doesn't make them do anything when it comes to native apps. Which is totally incomprehensible. I can't imagine what they are going to do in a year or two, still without any native applications and stuck with Android version from 2013 that already now no one uses anymore. Even cheap Chinese electronic gadgets like e.g. smart TV boxes now come with Android 5 or higher.

N/A
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Thanks received:
31 in 27 posts
Thanks given: 20

Phone: N/A

PostPosted: Monday, 20.Mar.2017 11:24    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Michal Jerz wrote:
They are FORCING all individual developers like me to go away and develop for sh*tty Android, which is the most annoying thing I can think of.

Even more annoying than developing for iOS? Wink

Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1083 in 690 posts

Phone: Jolla, BB Z10, BB Passport, N950, N900, N8, Nexus 4 (Ubuntu Touch), Lumia 920

PostPosted: Monday, 20.Mar.2017 20:59    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

Even more annoying than developing for iOS?

In Polish we have a saying that it's like a choice between having either a plague or cholera Wink

BentL

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
481 in 353 posts
Thanks given: 110

Phone: N9, N900, E90, 9300i, 9300, 9210

PostPosted: Wednesday, 22.Mar.2017 22:10    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Jolla has published a video from Mobile World Congress 2017:

Video: Mobile World Congress 2017

--
Bent Laursen
MeowTseDong
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
9 in 9 posts

PostPosted: Friday, 07.Apr.2017 17:43    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Any news regarding this? I was thinking about to pick up an Xperia X and shoehorn Sailfish into it. Now with BB10 gone, Sailfish is the only alternative OS left.

Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1083 in 690 posts

PostPosted: Friday, 21.Apr.2017 18:17    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

Now with BB10 gone, Sailfish is the only alternative OS left.

Well, despite being abandoned, BB10 OS continues to work just fine and will surely do so over the next year or two. While maybe all the 'smaller' models (Z10, Z30, Leap, Q series) became too slow due to their poor old dual-core Krait SoCs, the Passport with its quad-core 2.3 GHz CPU and 3 GB of RAM turns out to be able to run that efficient BB10 OS just as (if not more) smoothly as competing OSes run on newly released devices. So now that the Passport can be bought so cheaply, it is a great device to get for 2017 and 2018, and only then see what happens.

I used to criticize the Passport before I got one, mostly for its screen aspect ratio, but it completely changed the way I use mobile devices. No other smartphone since the ancient Nokia 9500/9300 Communicator times (the E90 with its S60 OS was much poorer in this regard) allowed me to use the Internet so conveniently on the phone. With all other phones, if I was sitting at home next to my laptop and I got an email or needed to browse some web pages, I always preferred to open the laptop for it, whereas now with the Passport I spend long hours browsing the web and answer nearly all the emails directly on the phone, with the laptop catching dust within my hand's reach most of the time. And even after hours of heavy use I usually still have half of the battery capacity left for the whole next day... I can't see any replacement for my Passport which would provide a fraction of similar experience. I don't care if OS development has been frozen because the OS is simply stable and complete and doesn't really need any important additions, and even if app development for BB10 completely stops soon, it'll still leave it with HUNDREDS OF TIMES more of applications than what SFOS has and can have in any foreseeable period of time, plus the same Android 4.x compatibility....

MeowTseDong
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
9 in 9 posts

PostPosted: Sunday, 14.May.2017 23:35    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

This is the wrong forum for BB10 but to answer your previous post and what I have recently experienced is that the BB10 is working worse and worse because it is no longer maintained.

Google hardly work anymore with the BB10 browser (maps, mail). Even if I try to avoid Google, you sometimes use their services. Some pages will not even load because they are SSL encrypted, something that becomes more usual. The browser says that the certificate is outdated but it is the browser that is outdated. Try go to the site tz.de and try if your browser accepts that site.

So the browser must be updated otherwise you will not be able to use BB10 as intended.

This is why I hope that Sailfish might give up a little bit of hope at least.
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1083 in 690 posts

PostPosted: Wednesday, 24.May.2017 23:13    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

So the browser must be updated otherwise you will not be able to use BB10 as intended.

Or a third party browser can be made. Or an Android version of any browser can be installed.

BTW. The tz.de site works PERFECTLY fine on my Passport with 10.3.3 OS in the built-in browser, no problems of any kind, no certificate error, no nothing. Google Maps and Gmail also work perfectly fine for me.

Since I updated my Passport to 10.3.3 (which was many months ago) I can't recollect a single site that would give me any kind of certificate or encryption problems (which indeed was sometimes the case on 10.3.2).

So maybe you should simply update your OS to the very latest release? The browser got MASSIVE updates in all consecutive 10.3.3.xxxx releases.

MeowTseDong
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
9 in 9 posts

PostPosted: Sunday, 04.Jun.2017 13:56    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

During MWC Sony claimed that they would release a Sailfish version during 2nd quarter this year. However, it has been that for a while now and also there are absolutely no reports about this further on.

Has Sony been forced to can the project?
naytsyrhc
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
41 in 41 posts
Thanks given: 114

Phone: History [/// R380s, SE P800, SE P910i, SE M600i, Nokia E71, Nokia N9], Current [Jolla]

PostPosted: Saturday, 10.Jun.2017 22:25    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

According to this post on TJC they still work on it an will post news about the program approximately end of june.
Casanunda
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
52 in 48 posts
Thanks given: 316

Phone: n900, Jolla

PostPosted: Monday, 26.Jun.2017 13:14    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

A new "announcement" on the official Jolla Blog by Jolla CEO Sami Pienimški:

Quote:

Shortly also about the Sony Xperia X project, as we realize many are waiting for news about it: we’re working on the project and we will update you next week about the next steps.

Kind of funny, announcing an announcement - truly the Jolla way.

The main topic of that blog post is the second half of tablet refund which they are starting to pay to backers in random order "as their financial situation permits".

I wonder how much longer it takes until someone at Jolla gets the brilliant idea that making the appstore capable to host paid apps might actually improve their financial situation...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> Jolla Sailfish OS All times are GMT + 2 Hours

Go to page
Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic