MEEGO  SECTION
-My-MeeGo.com-
SOFTWARE STORECONTACT

My-Symbian.com Forums

My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo
Symbian & Linux based Communicator and Smartphone Info Center
The Oldest Symbian Community Website - Since 1999

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RulesRules   Log inLog in 
Lightweight, simplified version of the forumsMobile version
Ubuntu for phones

Go to page
Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> Ubuntu Phone
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kleuter
Site supporter
Site supporter

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
31 in 22 posts
Thanks given: 13

Phone: Jolla, Iphone, E90, E71, 6310i, N900, BB.

PostPosted: Saturday, 07.Feb.2015 00:51    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

It appears to be on its way now:

The Aquaris E4.5 Ubuntu edition relies on a card-like user interface that is not focused on apps.

It is initially being targeted at "early adopters", who developers hope will become advocates for the platform.

They will be holding a number of "flash sales" in Europe beginning next week, in which the device will be sold for short periods of time - giving the developers an opportunity to gauge demand and respond to feedback before committing to a bigger production run.

"It's a proven model - we're making sure that the product lands in the right hands," Cristian Parrino, vice-president of mobile at Canonical, told the BBC.

"We are way away from sticking this in a retail shop in the High Street. [But] it's where we want to get to."

Reading this BBC article I do not think this is going to be a practical phone, it will be even more experimental then the Jolla device.

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-31148661
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1084 in 691 posts
Thanks given: 285

Phone: Jolla, BB Z10, BB Passport, N950, N900, N8, Nexus 4 (Ubuntu Touch), Lumia 920

PostPosted: Sunday, 08.Feb.2015 13:54    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

So I guess it's time to check the latest SDK build and see what improvements it got over the past couple of months.
Kleuter
Site supporter
Site supporter

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
31 in 22 posts
Thanks given: 13

Phone: Jolla, Iphone, E90, E71, 6310i, N900, BB.

PostPosted: Monday, 09.Feb.2015 23:55    Post subject: For sale now.... for the brave   Reply with quote   

The flash sales will take place over the coming weeks, with the first happening on Monday via bq.com. The date, time and web address for the first sale announced through @Ubuntu and @bqreaders on Twitter, as well as Ubuntu G+ and Ubuntu. Phones will be available across Europe.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/first-ubuntu-smartphone-aquaris-e4-5-laun ches-into-cluttered-mobile-market/
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1084 in 691 posts

Phone: Jolla, BB Z10, BB Passport, N950, N900, N8, Nexus 4 (Ubuntu Touch), Lumia 920

PostPosted: Friday, 20.Feb.2015 21:20    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Yesterday, I've updated my Nexus 4 to the latest Ubuntu Touch build. Guess what, paid apps are now supported, since the day they started selling the phones, and there's some of them already available in the Ubuntu store, both from Canonical (some paid Scopes) and from 3rd party developers. A totally different approach than Jolla's. And of course all kinds of QML imports are supported - for instance, there are Scopes using Location and Positioning (e.g. showing what's interesting nearby), some Openstreetmap based mapping apps, etc. When I tapped on a paid app in their store, Paypal was shown as a supported payment option. As simple as that, while Jolla (allegedly) for 1,5 years has been "struggling to provide sophisticated payment methods and content protections" and they "encountered unforeseen troubles" some time last year, and apparently until today haven't solved it considering no word of further information.

I guess that all those (few) Qt developers who were still waiting for Jolla can now safely and happily move to developing for Ubuntu Touch. If that was Jolla's goal then they succeeded.

Downloading the latest Ubuntu SDK build as I'm writing this.

The following users say THANKS! for this post: alexpain, Casanunda

BentL

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
481 in 353 posts
Thanks given: 110

Phone: N9, N900, E90, 9300i, 9300, 9210

PostPosted: Thursday, 22.Jun.2017 09:41    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Now that Ubuntu for mobile devices is dead, here is a post mortem analysis of what went wrong:

http://www.lieberbiber.de/2017/06/20/my-ubuntu-for-mobile-devices-post -mortem/

--
Bent Laursen
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1084 in 691 posts

PostPosted: Wednesday, 28.Jun.2017 03:25    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

Now that Ubuntu for mobile devices is dead, here is a post mortem analysis of what went wrong:

In the end, it turned out to be totally unattractive, that's all. It didn't offer anything really exceptional and it looked and worked really bland. And yes, it was too unstable and unfinished until the very end.

But I don't agree that lack of compatibility had anything to do with it. If they made it Android compatible, it would have died even sooner, like Tizen did.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> Ubuntu Phone All times are GMT + 2 Hours

Go to page
Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic