MEEGO  SECTION
-My-MeeGo.com-
SOFTWARE STORECONTACT

My-Symbian.com Forums

My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo
Symbian & Linux based Communicator and Smartphone Info Center
The Oldest Symbian Community Website - Since 1999

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RulesRules   Log inLog in 
Lightweight, simplified version of the forumsMobile version
Spam from Jolla

Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> Jolla Sailfish OS
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1090 in 695 posts
Thanks given: 286

Phone: Jolla, BB Z10, BB Passport, N950, N900, N8, Nexus 4 (Ubuntu Touch), Lumia 920

PostPosted: Wednesday, 28.Jun.2017 03:15    Post subject: Spam from Jolla   Reply with quote   

It looks that they provided my email address (which I used to register my Jolla account) to third party companies without my permission or knowledge.

I've just received (for the first time ever to that email address) two spam emails from hello@zipperglobal.com and emmi@thirdspaceauto.com - both messages are related to Jolla as one of them says something about some automotive platform created in cooperation with Jolla and the other one says that Jolla's chairman has launched some token investment platform. Both turned out to be emailing LISTS that they f**cking SUBSCRIBED me to and forced me to manually UNSUBSCRIBE from!!

Holy sh*t, this company really annoys me more and more. I did NOT permit them to EVER use my email for anything NOT related directly to Saifish OS. I don't give a flying **** about any "token investment platforms" that Jolla chairman may have created, or anything else, and I ESPECIALLY did NOT ever permit to subscribe my email address to any f***ing spam lists!

I find it UTTERLY ANNOYING and totally unacceptable to use my Jolla account email address to SPAM me from alien domains with messages NOT related to what I registered that Jolla account for.

Lousy dickheads! If it turns out that from those mailing lists my email address leaked to any other spam sources, I'll show you my gratitude.
naytsyrhc
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
43 in 43 posts
Thanks given: 114

Phone: History [/// R380s, SE P800, SE P910i, SE M600i, Nokia E71, Jolla 1], Current [Nokia N9]

PostPosted: Tuesday, 25.Jul.2017 21:15    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

This really is annoying. And you're sure, that you never used that mail address somewhere else I presume?

I didn't get such a spam message, but maybe my spam filter is trained well enough Wink

Did you inform Jolla about it? Maybe someone did that without their knowledge and that might be of interest for them as well.

I'd be interested to hear about the outcome of it.
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1090 in 695 posts

Phone: Jolla, BB Z10, BB Passport, N950, N900, N8, Nexus 4 (Ubuntu Touch), Lumia 920

PostPosted: Wednesday, 26.Jul.2017 19:12    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

This really is annoying. And you're sure, that you never used that mail address somewhere else I presume?

No, because that email account was created in a domain that was supposed to be used for Jolla stuff only but then I never used it, for there's nothing to do with it (I did not launch the Jolla site, I don't make software for Jolla, etc.). Besides, it can't be a coincidence that the spam was strictly Jolla-related, right?

Well, doesn't matter. When that domain expires later this year, I most probably won't be renewing it as it serves no purpose. I guess that it is now completely clear that Jolla does not indend to EVER start supporting native development.
naytsyrhc
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
43 in 43 posts

Phone: History [/// R380s, SE P800, SE P910i, SE M600i, Nokia E71, Jolla 1], Current [Nokia N9]

PostPosted: Thursday, 27.Jul.2017 11:03    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

I thought it would be like that. Concerning the "coincidence that the spam was strictly Jolla-related", well of course it is no coincidence. But maybe Jolla does not see it as spam at thus knows about the mail.

As I said before, I'd ask them. Maybe they know about it and can explain it to you or they don't know and than they should be interested, because someone "stole"/missused their addresses.
Ketilk
Site supporter
Site supporter

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
50 in 45 posts
Thanks given: 6

Phone: Sony Xperia XA(Android 7.0), Jolla, N9 , N900, N97-mini,

PostPosted: Thursday, 27.Jul.2017 12:29    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

If your email is listed in WHOIS record for the domain, then it is possible the spammers just found out the domain existed, looked up the whois, and sent emails to it. I suspect that has happened with my domain.
naytsyrhc
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
43 in 43 posts

PostPosted: Thursday, 27.Jul.2017 12:40    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Well and if that domain has Jolla or Sailfish in it, that's probably the coincidence, why it's Jolla related. I'd do it similar, if I'd want to sent an email to potential new customers...
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1090 in 695 posts

PostPosted: Friday, 28.Jul.2017 09:41    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:
If your email is listed in WHOIS record for the domain

It isn't. An email address from a completely different domain is used. It generally isn't a good idea to have a domain registered with an email address in that same domain.

Quote:
Well and if that domain has Jolla or Sailfish in it, that's probably the coincidence, why it's Jolla related. I'd do it similar, if I'd want to sent an email to potential new customers...

As I said,

1) I did not use that email address anywhere else, not even once, so how could have anyone else just "guessed it"? I only gave that email address to Jolla itself (Jolla account and TJC site), and I surely did not permit subscribing it to any emailing lists.

2) The emails were about some new businesses of Jolla people, so obviously it was them who sent those emails (or actually subscribed me to some f***king emailing lists), not anyone else.

3) Whatever the domain name is, it surely doesn't justify sending unrequested spam to it, let alone subscribing the owner to emailing lists without his consent and knowledge.

It's not that I'm pesky or something. It's just that I used to have really big hopes about that company, whereas for 4 years they just don't want to stop annoying and disappointing me with whatever they do, so I'm simply f*****g TIRED of them.

Quote:
maybe Jolla does not see it as spam at thus knows about the mail.

I'd happily accept SINGLE emails sent once in a while by Jolla themselves, and in such case I'd consider it a "press release" or information, but SUBSCRIBING me to TWO EXTERNAL (not Jolla's own but some commercial service) emailing lists at once (and thus forcing me to unsubscribe from either of them individually) is just beyond acceptance.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> Jolla Sailfish OS All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic