MEEGO  SECTION
-My-MeeGo.com-
SOFTWARE STORECONTACT

My-Symbian.com Forums

My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo
Symbian & Linux based Communicator and Smartphone Info Center
The Oldest Symbian Community Website - Since 1999

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RulesRules   Log inLog in 
Lightweight, simplified version of the forumsMobile version
Windows 7 and battery

Go to page
Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> The Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ceroberts75
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
79 in 45 posts
Thanks given: 40

Phone: n9, n900, e90, 5800, e71-1, 9500, 7710, 2660

PostPosted: Tuesday, 23.Mar.2010 05:22    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

yes. pretty easily.

figure i have had it since nov.16th.

i have had it nearly 120 days, and some days, i did use it alot and had to charge it twice and other times, just got a partial charge.
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1092 in 696 posts
Thanks given: 286

Phone: Jolla, BB Z10, BB Passport, N950, N900, N8, Nexus 4 (Ubuntu Touch), Lumia 920

PostPosted: Tuesday, 23.Mar.2010 14:42    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Well, so it looks OK in your case.... Strange. As I said, for me it also looked unrealistic that Win7 might do something with the battery, and I wouldn't believe just the numbers shown if not the huge change in actual battery life. Win 7 was supposed to bring LONGER battery life than older Windows versions, not shorter, while in my case battery performance DROPPED twice after installing Win 7, along with the numbers.

Anyway, if you can check it again in a week or two and report the changes, I'll be very grateful.
ceroberts75
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
79 in 45 posts
Thanks given: 40

Phone: n9, n900, e90, 5800, e71-1, 9500, 7710, 2660

PostPosted: Tuesday, 23.Mar.2010 16:32    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

you bet...about to jump on a plane for las vegas.

maybe the power consumption has to do with the technology, as in, past a certain point in the technology, being the chips sets, etc, that it takes less power.

so maybe on the newer equipment, it is better, and the older equipment is not (where older could be even 6-12 months before last october 22.
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1092 in 696 posts

Phone: Jolla, BB Z10, BB Passport, N950, N900, N8, Nexus 4 (Ubuntu Touch), Lumia 920

PostPosted: Wednesday, 24.Mar.2010 06:57    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

maybe the power consumption has to do with the technology, as in, past a certain point in the technology, being the chips sets, etc, that it takes less power.

Well, my laptop is Core2Duo so I wouldn't call it an old one...

Have a nice time in Las Vegas!
Zmurphen
Forum Elder
Forum Elder

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
0 in 0 posts
Thanks given: 1

Phone: N73, E90, HD2

PostPosted: Wednesday, 24.Mar.2010 18:41    Post subject: Re: Windows 7 and battery   Reply with quote   

Michal Jerz wrote:
Hundreds of people have reported problems with Windows 7 and laptop batteries. According to them, Windows 7 just KILLS batteries.

I though it was a nonsense until I noticed it myself.

Did you make a Ghost image of your old XP installation? You could temporarily go back to XP just to check if it's not in fact the battery that's gone worse. Once a Lithium battery starts to deteriorate it goes very fast until it's almost useless.

Brgds... /Zmurphen
ph
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
7 in 7 posts
Thanks given: 6

Phone: Currently: Nokia Lumia 930, previously: iPhone 5, Samsung Galaxy S2 & 3, iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, Omnia HD, SE P1i, K750i, Nokia E71, HTC Pro, Nokia E90, P900, P910i, P990i

PostPosted: Wednesday, 24.Mar.2010 21:27    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Just for the record, I dont have laptop with Win7.
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1092 in 696 posts

PostPosted: Thursday, 25.Mar.2010 08:46    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

Did you make a Ghost image of your old XP installation? You could temporarily go back to XP just to check if it's not in fact the battery that's gone worse. Once a Lithium battery starts to deteriorate it goes very fast until it's almost useless.

No, I did not make a backup/image of the old installation. Didn't think I'd need it. But I still have the install disk so maybe I'll make an image/backup of the current installation and temporarily replace it with fresh XP just to try if battery life improves. However, I've seen a lot of comments from people who did go back to the old system and they say that the 'damage' is irreversible, i.e. that under the old system the battery life is also much worse.

I know that after some point Li-Ion batteries deteriorate really quickly. It's just that it happened really suddenly and JUST after I installed Win 7. Maybe I wouldn't even think of any connection but I read about other people's issues and it looked the same...

Some people say that the problems may be caused by some Win 7 drivers which somehow override bios ACPI mechanisms and they charge too much current from the battery thus giving it too high load. Whereas new batteries somehow resist/tolerate it, older batteries just start dying. Sounds reasonable...
similae
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
34 in 25 posts
Thanks given: 71

Phone: N9, C7, E51, 6630

PostPosted: Thursday, 25.Mar.2010 11:08    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

My laptop is now 2 months old (Acer Travelmate 6293) and the battery wear 0%. I think It has been less than 10 times with me on the road running with battery.
Zmurphen
Forum Elder
Forum Elder

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
0 in 0 posts
Thanks given: 1

Phone: N73, E90, HD2

PostPosted: Thursday, 25.Mar.2010 12:04    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Michal Jerz wrote:
I know that after some point Li-Ion batteries deteriorate really quickly. It's just that it happened really suddenly and JUST after I installed Win 7. Maybe I wouldn't even think of any connection but I read about other people's issues and it looked the same...

Well... considering how many Windows 7 installations that have been made in the world there are bound to be hundreds or even thousands of them that happened to install it JUST when the battery is starting to deteriorate... and that would explain why the performance doesn't improve when going back to XP.

Brgds... /Zmurphen
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1092 in 696 posts

PostPosted: Friday, 26.Mar.2010 06:54    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

considering how many Windows 7 installations that have been made in the world there are bound to be hundreds or even thousands of them that happened to install it JUST when the battery is starting to deteriorate... and that would explain why the performance doesn't improve when going back to XP.

But the question is why didn't the same thing happen with people were upgrading to XP and to Vista. Li-Ion batteries haven't appeared last year.

P.S. The battery wear level after dropping so savagely from 30% to 55.2% in just a couple of weeks now seems to have suddenly STOPPED. And that's right after I installed a bunch of updates which appeared via Windows Update recently. If it does NOT continue further dropping, it'll convince me even more that there must have been something wrong with the OS and Microsoft fixed it. If it was just an old and exhausted battery, it'd continue getting worse at a similar pace....
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1092 in 696 posts

PostPosted: Tuesday, 26.Sep.2017 08:46    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Seven years ago I reported in this thread (what lots of people were complaining about at that time, too) that installing Windows 7 killed battery in my laptop. A battery that was providing solid 2,5 hours of use under Windows XP (and its wear level shown by a battery tool was around 30% or so) right after I installed Windows 7 dropped to less than one hour of work and nearly 60% of wear. Even after reinstalling Windows XP just to check it, the wear level and poor working time persisted. Then the battery very quickly got even worse, to the point that it was shutting down after 15 minutes or so, so not much later I had to replace it.

When I described it, no one believed that Windows could have had anything to do with it. That issue obviously wasn't of much importance to me (just very strange), so I quickly forgot about it. Since then I changed laptops a few times and I didn't even remember about that story until now.

Yesterday I accidentally found that old battery laying somewhere in my house. I was going to throw it away, but then I thought why not open it and check the cells. That's what I did. It turned out to have standard 18650 Li-Ion cells made by Sony (6 pieces in three pairs) - model SF US18650GR T7 (2400 mAh). Even though the battery wasn't used or recharged for several years, each cell still had 3.77 - 3.78 Volts, which instantly showed me that they must be in a very good condition.

I've got quite a nice charger for all kinds of batteries - SkyRC B6 Mini

http://www.skyrc.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=200

so I tested each cell individually by discarching (at 1 Amp load, down to 3.1 Volts) and then recharging (1 Amp, to 4.2 Volts) each cell several times.

Guess what! For each of them I get solid 2200+ mAh of capacity (out of their original 2400 mAh). That's a fully reliable and correct reading because that's the current they provide while discharging from full to 3.1 Volts under constant 1 Amp load, which takes each cell over two hours! Whereas capacities calculated while charging aren't too precise (as not all of the energy provided by the charger ends up in the cell), those calculated while discharging are 100% precise, because that's the exact energy taken from the battery by the charger's discharging load.

Moreover, those specific Sony cells are designed to be discharged to even 2.75 Volts (so that's probably how the original capacity is measured) while I discharged them only to 3.1 Volts. If I discharged them to 2.75 Volts, I'd probably get nearly their original capacity...

Another indication of an almost ideal condition of each cell is also its internal resistance - between 90-100 mOhms.

Lastly, I've also tested a few of them with a very strong Power LED pocket light and they last like new ones.

Long story short, this fully confirms that Windows 7 (its power drivers or whatever else) was altering something that was causing almost new batteries to be suddenly reported as worn out, and it was persistent as even going back to Win XP didn't help.... The cells themselves remained in nearly perfect condition until today (imagine that their manufacturing date is mid 2006!), so that damn Windows 7 must have written something to the battery's controller.

Anyway, now I am a happy owner of six almost brand new 18650 cells, each costing around $5-6, i.e. some $30 - $36 in total. Scr*w you Microsoft, you didn't manage to make me get rid of it Wink I smell a deal with laptop makers. Millions of people must have bought new batteries at that time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT + 2 Hours

Go to page
Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic