MEEGO  SECTION
-My-MeeGo.com-
SOFTWARE STORECONTACT

My-Symbian.com Forums

My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo
Symbian & Linux based Communicator and Smartphone Info Center
The Oldest Symbian Community Website - Since 1999

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RulesRules   Log inLog in 
Lightweight, simplified version of the forumsMobile version
Functional and quality issues with SFOS

Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> Jolla Sailfish OS
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MeowTseDong
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
9 in 9 posts
Thanks given: 2

Phone: Nokia

PostPosted: Monday, 25.Dec.2017 16:15    Post subject: Functional and quality issues with SFOS   Reply with quote   

This thread is for reporting problems and quality issues regarding SFOS.

Since I now have a Sony Xperia X with SFOS and starting to use it I now can now test the device with SFOS. It is clear that SFOS is rough around the edges even compared to Symbian.

First experience with how Jolla neglect basic functionality is when trying to use SFOS together with the car. First when trying to pair the phone with the car, the car expects a code that is supposed to be arrive on the screen of the phone. This never arrives. Then I need to search the internet and read if I use the code "0000" it will continue to pair. This is really unacceptable for a consumer OS and it shouldn't be difficult to implement. The standard and functionality is also a well defined standard since the middle of 2000. Coming from Nokia and fail this where Symbian phones supports without any problems is remarkable.

Then the usage in the car isn't very good either. It appears that that previous phone numbers aren't sent to the car headup unit so I have to re-enter previous called numbers every time. Is this just my car or do you experience this as well. The speech volume is way too low as well, where other phones all had similar volume regardless of the type of the phone. SFOS stands out here being much lower.

Then we have connectivity, the Bluetooth connectivity drops after a while and if I try to reconnect the function is sometimes unusable.

It seems like basic phone infrastructure is neglected.

I will continue to write about functional problems with SFOS here, you are welcome to add your experiences here.
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1097 in 698 posts
Thanks given: 286

Phone: Jolla, BB Z10, BB Passport, N950, N900, N8, Nexus 4 (Ubuntu Touch), Lumia 920

PostPosted: Monday, 25.Dec.2017 17:14    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

It does not have to be SFOS' fault, it may be the car Bluetooth module's fault.

I have many experiences with PSA group (Peugeot, Citroen etc) Bluetooth modules (where Bosch, Siemens or Continental made BT modules are used, which are all Parrot based BTW), so I guess it applies to all other car brands where Bosch, Siemens and Continental modules are used, and I guess that other BT module brands have similar issues.

Firstly, there are two generations of them: mono audio without BT A2DP streaming (so called KML - Kit Main Libre), and stereo audio with A2DP streaming (so called Nomade). Those two BT module generations work with different generations (or at least software versions) of radios (head units) and also require different software versions of the car display.

The KML modules work as you described - when pairing, you need to enter a code (depending on the phone model it is either "0000" or "1234" or something else) and the code is not shown anywhere, so you simply must know what to enter. Only the newer Nomade modules display a pairing code.

Secondly, there are many firmware versions within each of those generations (firmware of these modules is upgradeable). Older firmware versions had all kinds of problems with some phones: poor audio quality, not showing the recent calls lists or contacts list or both, not showing the caller ID, and so on.

Lastly, there are issues with how the module works in a specific car model.

For example, to make all newer smartphones work correctly in my Citroen C5, I had to replace its original Siemens-made KML BT module which had some ancient firmware to a much newer Continental-made module which looked the same but had the latest firmware (it turned out to be cheaper to buy a new module on eBay than to pay Citroen to upgrade firmware in the old one Wink ). Doing so resolved all kinds of audio quality problems, made the recent calls/contacts list/caller ID to be correctly shown, etc.

In my wife's Citroen C2, it took not only upgrading the module as above, but also changing its +12 Volt connection. The original connection to permanent +12V power (a pin that is always powered, even when the engine is off) was causing that the module (even with the most recent firmware) after some time was failing to sync the recent calls lists, then contact list and then stopping to recognize the phone at all (and to fix it it required to unplug the module even just for a second, to make it reset), whereas connecting it to a +12V pin that is powered only at ignition or engine running fixed all those problems. Don't ask me why it was so - clearly, it needs to get reset regularly (which is what disconnecting the power on engine stop does) when working with some phones or else something gets f***ed up in its memory. Now with the module upgraded and its power connection changed the module works perfectly fine with all kinds of smartphones.

So, as you can see, it doesn't have to be SFOS' fault. On my wife's C2 those problems were with BlackBerry Z10, Lumia 920, my Passport, and some others (whereas the ancient Nokia 603 worked perfectly fine even with the old module and the original permanent +12V connection), and only upgrading the module and changing its 12V connection made it work with all of them.
MeowTseDong
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
9 in 9 posts

PostPosted: Monday, 25.Dec.2017 20:03    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Michal Jerz wrote:
The KML modules work as you described - when pairing, you need to enter a code (depending on the phone model it is either "0000" or "1234" or something else) and the code is not shown anywhere, so you simply must know what to enter. Only the newer Nomade modules display a pairing code.

What does new mean here? My Symbian phone from 2009 pairs flawlessly and displays the code in the phone screen.

I had have used a variety of phones with my car. Android, Windows Phone, Symbian, BB10 and all of them have worked without any hassle. For me it's just SFOS that doesn't work.
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1097 in 698 posts

Phone: Jolla, BB Z10, BB Passport, N950, N900, N8, Nexus 4 (Ubuntu Touch), Lumia 920

PostPosted: Tuesday, 26.Dec.2017 16:24    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

What does new mean here?

Well, I think I described it that there are basically two generations of those BT modules, the older with mono audio and without BT audio streaming, and the newer ones with stereo audio and A2DP audio streaming. And each of those generations had multiple software (firmware) updates. Depending on the head unit model, those BT modules can be either separate parts or built-in inside the head unit.

You didn't say what car brand or model you have and whether your BT is stereo or mono (and with or without A2DP) so I can't say much about your case. But it's definitely worth asking your car dealer / service if there is a software (firmware) update available for your Bluetooth module (or head unit if it has a built-in BT module) as those updates do fix many things and improve compatibility. In our case a Symbian phone from 2011 or so also worked perfectly fine, an Android phone from 2012 (Nexus 4) worked flawlessly too, whereas BB10 phones and Lumias had all sorts of problems, and changing a module (as it was cheaper than paying Citroen for updating it) to one with the most recent firmware version fixed all issues.

From my experience, problems usually arise when the phone has a NEWER Bluetooth version than the BT module in the car.

I am not trying to defend SFOS as we all know it's been a mess when it comes to support for certain things. I have no idea what BlueZ version they now use in Sailfish - still BlueZ 4 or maybe now BlueZ 5, and if it is the same in Salfish X as in the 'standard' Saiflish OS. And I've never used the Jolla phone with my car (as I generally don't use it). I only wanted to say that it is often the actual BT module what's causing problems (with some specific devices, while it works OK with many others) and that updating its firmware very often fixes the problem, so it's always worth checking if a software update is available for your car's BT.
MeowTseDong
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
9 in 9 posts

PostPosted: Wednesday, 27.Dec.2017 13:23    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Actually my car supports rSAP which I think is used here. Both BB10 and Symbian supports rSAP. I'm not 100% sure but I think SFOS doesn't support rSAP yet.

Regardless of that audio profiles should work as well.
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1097 in 698 posts

PostPosted: Wednesday, 27.Dec.2017 14:11    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

It doesn't have to be rSAP. Some Bluetooth modules connect using HSP or HFP or A2DP for audio, PBAP or OBEX or OPP for phone book access, etc. There are many different combinations.

In my Passport's Bluetooth settings I have a switch to turn rSAP on/off and if I switch it off it still connects to my car and works the same way.

rSAP is mainly used when the car has a Bluetooth module which contains its own GSM transciever (so it is actually not just a BT module but almost a full GSM phone - just without its own SIM card slot). Using rSAP, such module "intercepts" your smartphone's SIM card but it makes and receives calls using its own built-in GSM radio and antenna.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Bluetooth_profiles#SIM_Access_Pr ofile_(SAP,_SIM,_rSAP)

BT modules without their own built-in GSM transciever don't use rSAP as accessing just the SIM card is not enough - they need to make calls using the external phone and transfer audio from it to themselves via HSP/HFP/A2DP and sync phone books via OBEX/OPP/PBAP.
naytsyrhc
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
43 in 43 posts
Thanks given: 115

Phone: History [/// R380s, SE P800, SE P910i, SE M600i, Nokia E71, Nokia N9, Jolla 1], Current [Sony Xperia X Compact SFOS]

PostPosted: Tuesday, 20.Feb.2018 22:08    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

AFAIK rSAP is not supported by SFOS. I have no problems connecting my Xperia X Compact (inofficial image) with various bluetooth car systems or headsets. But bluetooth not working 100% on SFOS for Xperia X is a known issue. See here
https://together.jolla.com/question/179223/release-notes-214-lapuanjok i/#179223-known-issues-specific-to-xperia-x wrote:
Bluetooth: still problems with car equipment, some audio devices and computers.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> Jolla Sailfish OS All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic