MEEGO  SECTION
-My-MeeGo.com-
SOFTWARE STORECONTACT

My-Symbian.com Forums

My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo
Symbian & Linux based Communicator and Smartphone Info Center
The Oldest Symbian Community Website - Since 1999

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RulesRules   Log inLog in 
Lightweight, simplified version of the forumsMobile version
The future of SMan and the new UIQ3 platform.

Go to page  
1, 2, 3 ... 33, 34, 35  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> Symbian OS UIQ 3.x
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ajack
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
23 in 10 posts
Thanks given: 22

Phone: P800, P990, P1i, N900, Xperia Pro

PostPosted: Thursday, 17.Aug.2006 06:51    Post subject: The future of SMan and the new UIQ3 platform.   Reply with quote   

Hi all,

A lot of people have e-mailed me or posted in the forums on the future of SMan on the UIQ3 platform. After much discussion with Droll, we have decided to develope SMan for the UIQ3 platform (resource permitting).

We only decided to announce this after Symbian and UIQ informed us that we can now get signed applications for free for freeware applications. With that news, it was decided that we proceed with the developement of SMan starting with Droll getting an M600 and I get a P990 to develope and test SMan on. Why are we telling you this? Simply put it, we do not plan to get every UIQ3 device that manufacturers make and sell. So when future model of the UIQ3 are developed and sold, do not expect us to quickly write a fix for SMan and be prepared to give us some contact info so that we can work with you and your new toy on fixing the problem. Smile

At the moment, we are still deciding if we want to port SMan v1.x to the new platform or do we write SMan from scratch for the new platform. Droll is also investigating if we can use our CodeWarrior 2.5 PE with the new SDK or if we will need to get the latest version of Code Warrior for the SDK to work (Code Warrior is expensive). ALternatively, we could use Visual Studio but Droll tells me the UIQ3 SDK does not work with his copy of Visual Studio 2005 (the SDK wants Visual Studio 2003, can anybody point us to a workaround?).

Initially, we expect SMan to have only Task Manager and File Manager and a few of the Utilities found in the latest SMan. We will then slowly develope the other modules and utilities and implement a few new ideas we have in the pipeline for UIQ3. That said, we will be releasing SMan v1.5 with the source code for the UIQ2 platform at the same time. This will be our last version of SMan for the UIQ2 platform.

All this are just initial information for everyone, you can stop e-mailing me now Smile. For now, we need to make sure we can use our existing compiler/IDE, understanding the 3 UI platforms SMan is expected to run from and how to code for UIQ3. Will keep everybody updated on our progress (it won't be daily, just when we have a milestone).

ajack
chunz
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
0 in 0 posts
Thanks given: 0

Phone: M600

PostPosted: Thursday, 17.Aug.2006 07:00    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

cool, look forward to !
thx!
N/A
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Thanks received:
31 in 27 posts
Thanks given: 20

Phone: N/A

PostPosted: Thursday, 17.Aug.2006 07:02    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

No workarounds for Symbian development using Microsoft Visual Studio 2005.

There's also Carbide.c++ Express (free, available now), and Carbide.c++ Developer (not free, but with more features and due out soon):
http://forum.nokia.com/carbide

Don't be alarmed of the nokia.com above. Wink CodeWarrior 3.1 is the last version supported for Symbian development, and the future direction is the Eclipse based Carbide.
lastninja
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
3 in 3 posts

Phone: Motorola A920 / Motorola A925 / Nokia N900

PostPosted: Thursday, 17.Aug.2006 07:19    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

yeah, this is really good news! Smile
i can just imagine what kind of new features u will support... before it was bluejack and now - the means for w**driving (a little censored not to spoil the surprise for every1 if u really have plans for it Smile)
P888
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Thanks received:
0 in 0 posts

Phone: P800 (had), P900 (had), M600i (had), Nokia E65 (lost), Samsung i780 (currently), Nokia XM 5800 (currently)

PostPosted: Thursday, 17.Aug.2006 07:23    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Dear ajack,

This is indeed great news and all praises to you and Droll. Looks like it will be helluva lot of work. But one thing though, I have heard that getting your freeware app symbian signed may take a longer time than a non-freeware app. So when you get to that stage of the app development, you guys may have to "hassle" them to chase for faster approval and get the app signed faster.

Arising from this, I was just wondering too whether for every module you later add to S-Man, do you have to get each and every module symbian signed (maybe again) too?
charly
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
0 in 0 posts

Phone: P800/M600

PostPosted: Thursday, 17.Aug.2006 09:21    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

GOOOD News!!! Smile

charly
shahpur
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
0 in 0 posts

Phone: R380i, P800i, M600i

PostPosted: Thursday, 17.Aug.2006 09:32    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

thanks! we all have been waitting for that announcement, a good taskmanager like sman will really help us out, regarding battery life!

and i wouldnt mind having a real file manager either;)
liverpool lad
Forum Senior
Forum Senior

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
0 in 0 posts

Phone: p800

PostPosted: Thursday, 17.Aug.2006 09:44    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

It seems that there is great potential for a UIQ3 version (originally I thought it would manage "extras", from first reviews of UIQ3 now it seems it will be managing the basics again!), looking forward to the next evolution of the most essential UIQ2 application I Love You
prart
Forum Senior
Forum Senior

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
0 in 0 posts
Thanks given: 1

Phone: N900, P900, P910i

PostPosted: Thursday, 17.Aug.2006 10:17    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

can`t wait, and because im still with my "oneandonly" p910i - for uiq 2 version. good luck!
s.t.s

Thanks received:
0 in 0 posts

Phone: History[P900, P910i] Current [M600i]

PostPosted: Thursday, 17.Aug.2006 10:25    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

ajack, Greaat news, really looking forward to SMan for UIQ 3.0 Smile

P888, yes ... all future revisions of SMan will need re-signing, I think there is also a limit as to the frequency new versions can be submitted for signing (either 3 or 4 time per year I think) However, lets let them get V1 out before we worry about updates Wink
mcwildcard
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
0 in 0 posts

Phone: M600i

PostPosted: Thursday, 17.Aug.2006 10:51    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Super news, this will be an absolute lifeline for those with Vodafone branded handsets like me. The in-built Task manager has been butchered by the branding, so now it is only capable of switching between programs.
There is no capability to manually end processes and on a hugely memory inefficient handset such as the M600i, this really is a pain in the backside.
In time the SE Updates will hopefully fix this memory problem, but until then a proper Task Manager is a must.
Thanks for your efforts, it really is appreciated!
ares
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Thanks received:
0 in 0 posts

Phone: P1i

PostPosted: Thursday, 17.Aug.2006 11:01    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

great news...i´ll make a donation soon!!!!
shahpur
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
0 in 0 posts

Phone: R380i, P800i, M600i

PostPosted: Thursday, 17.Aug.2006 11:34    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

i know its way too early, but how long does the transition from uiq 2.0 SMAN to uiq 3.0 take? are we talking about 1 or 2-3 Months or more?

Just want to have a general idea how long we would have to wait...
woodward
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
0 in 0 posts

Phone: p910i,SE M600i

PostPosted: Thursday, 17.Aug.2006 13:32    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

YAY I Love You
Thank you guys, i'm sure all that got the vodaphone branded M600 will be extatic that Sman is coming soon!
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1092 in 696 posts
Thanks given: 286

Phone: Jolla, BB Z10, BB Passport, N950, N900, N8, Nexus 4 (Ubuntu Touch), Lumia 920

PostPosted: Thursday, 17.Aug.2006 23:52    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

THANK YOU ajack and droll for your continued interest in bringing us one of the most essential utilities for the UIQ 2 platform! Please, do not hestitate to contact me if there's ANYTHING My-Symbian can do to help you with the development of the UIQ 3 version!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> Symbian OS UIQ 3.x All times are GMT + 2 Hours

Go to page  
1, 2, 3 ... 33, 34, 35  Next
Page 1 of 35

Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic