MEEGO  SECTION
-My-MeeGo-
SOFTWARE STORECONTACT

My-Symbian.com Forums

My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo
Symbian & Linux based Communicator and Smartphone Info Center
The Oldest Symbian Community Website - Since 1999

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RulesRules   Log inLog in 
Lightweight, simplified version of the forumsMobile version
Amiga emu - possible?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> Symbian OS S60 3rd Edition
View previous topic :: View next topic  
prart
Forum Senior
Forum Senior

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
0 in 0 posts
Thanks given: 1

Phone: N900, P900, P910i

PostPosted: Monday, 31.Mar.2008 15:11    Post subject: Amiga emu - possible?   Reply with quote   

Okay, so we have a very powerfull smartphones, with hardware accelerators, plenty of ram and strong processors capable of running such games as dukenukem3d, quake&quakeII at full screen, with smooth textures, full screen antialiasing, with sound etc.

i`ve always dreamed of Amiga emulator on my smartphone (UAE port maybe?) and now, with quake II runing like a dream on my N95 8GB, i`m asking: is it possible?

Some uber-symbian-programmers, like AnotherGuest, ohinkka, notaz already proved many times that they surely know how to program these machines so i`m asking mainly them - is it possible guys? i`m not thinking on A1200, even A500 would be SOMETHING! Computer with 7MHz processor and 512kB of ram to emulate, work can be started with UAE (opensource).

To see workbench screen on my phone or famous hand with 3,5 disk... (ok, i`m geek Embarassed ).
AnotherGuest
DEVELOPER
DEVELOPER

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
32 in 17 posts
Thanks given: 0

Phone: P910, N-Gage, P990, M600, 6680, N70, N80, U300

PostPosted: Monday, 31.Mar.2008 15:21    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Dont forget all those custom chips that the amiga has, thats why atari st is so much more simple, and also Megadrive/genesis (which is 8mhz 68K processor).

So there are an asm optimized version for Gp2x. but porting that to symbian os might not be the easiest task.
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1098 in 699 posts
Thanks given: 286

Phone: Jolla, BB Z10, BB Passport, N950, N900, N8, Nexus 4 (Ubuntu Touch), Lumia 920

PostPosted: Monday, 31.Mar.2008 15:28    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

There is an UAE Amiga emulator port for Nokia's Internet Tablets and it works quite tolerably on the N810. The N810 has the same CPU and similar resources as high-end S60 phones so maybe it could be ported to S60.....?

http://pupnik.de/uae.html
AnotherGuest
DEVELOPER
DEVELOPER

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
32 in 17 posts

Phone: P910, N-Gage, P990, M600, 6680, N70, N80, U300

PostPosted: Monday, 31.Mar.2008 15:31    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Well.. it could. The good thing about N810.. its linux.. so take the *nix sources and build system from GP2x.. and it works. For Symbian.. even with Open C.. Symbian is quite picky about its build system. Unless you are doing it for target only (i.e *nix style). Thats how notaz works for example, even for Symbian.. hand crafted makefiles, target debugging only etc. I like having things working on the emu but thats not really possible in all cases.So the asm optimized Gp2x amiga emu (with asm cpu core) could be the way.
crazyteknohed
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
0 in 0 posts

Phone: P900

PostPosted: Tuesday, 01.Apr.2008 12:28    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

I think that the usability for most phones will be limited, as an Amiga emulator will require input from keyboard, joystick and mouse. Touch-screen mobiles will be good for the mouse, QWERTY phones for the keyboard, but the majority of phone owners with neither will find it tough going.
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1098 in 699 posts
Thanks given: 286

Phone: Jolla, BB Z10, BB Passport, N950, N900, N8, Nexus 4 (Ubuntu Touch), Lumia 920

PostPosted: Tuesday, 01.Apr.2008 13:27    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

I think that the usability for most phones will be limited, as an Amiga emulator will require input from keyboard, joystick and mouse. Touch-screen mobiles will be good for the mouse, QWERTY phones for the keyboard, but the majority of phone owners with neither will find it tough going.

The E90 has everything that's required to control the emulator. It does not have a touch screen but it has full QWERTY and d-pad to control the mouse. And the internal screen (800x352) has enough space for a decent resolution, including the standard ones like e.g. Hi-res (640x256).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> Symbian OS S60 3rd Edition All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic