MEEGO  SECTION
-My-MeeGo.com-
SOFTWARE STORECONTACT

My-Symbian.com Forums

My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo
Symbian & Linux based Communicator and Smartphone Info Center
The Oldest Symbian Community Website - Since 1999

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RulesRules   Log inLog in 
Lightweight, simplified version of the forumsMobile version
Piracy vs. Development

Go to page  
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> Symbian OS UIQ 3.x
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lisa@CPS
DEVELOPER
DEVELOPER

Thanks received:
4 in 2 posts
Thanks given: 1

Phone: Symbian

PostPosted: Wednesday, 11.Feb.2009 23:46    Post subject: Piracy vs. Development   Reply with quote   

CellPhoneSoft has suspended the development of all its ongoing UIQ projects.

As most of you know, the original plan at CPS was to keep on supporting UIQ during the entire year 2009, as an attempt to balance the sad fate of the most advanced smartphone platform. CPS has planned to release a number of new power applications, including profile manager, WiFi scanner, file finder, macro player, key mapper, furthermore possibly call recorder, answering machine, and more. Upgrades were prepared for all earlier released products, including Swiss Manager Pro 2.00 with major new features.

All the projects mentioned above are now suspended. The single reason behind the decision is that a large proportion of the remaining UIQ users choose to use software illegally. The overall refusal to pay for work investment by the developer in fact prevents further developments. In essence, most users opted for having the available software for free, rather than for having more and better software.

I feel sorry for those who think differently - for the honest users, who would surely deserve further upgrades and new products. Your rights have been restricted by a handful of software thieves craving for popularity, supported by a large number of apparently underprivileged people.

The current decision can still be reversed, provided the availability and use of illegal software decreases. I'm not sure how to achieve this, but the possibility is there. In any case, those readers who know where the crack-fest is taking place, could tell the "UIQ-fans" over there about their great success in putting yet another (the last?) nail in the coffin of UIQ...
My-Symbian
Sponsored links

PostPosted: Wednesday, 11.Feb.2009 23:46    Post subject: Sponsored links      

ph
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
5 in 5 posts
Thanks given: 6

Phone: iPhone 5 (Samsung Galaxy S2 & 3, iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, Omnia HD, SE P1i, K750i, Nokia E71, HTC Pro, Nokia E90, P900, P910i, P990i)

PostPosted: Thursday, 12.Feb.2009 01:03    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Zed - this is very sad I must admit. And the news about Profiles is just killing me... Confused

Can you just do this ONE Profiles thing?? Very Happy I am sure that people would just jump on it and pay a lot to get it. Smile

Anyways, I would love to hope that your action changes something but I am afraid that piracy shall never stop. It is REALLY strange why people cant pay 15-30USD to get an app that is REALLY making their 1000$ phone working so much well. Is it about greed? Thrill of theft? Stupidity? I don't know... This is really so sad... And this SMP 2.0......... Sad
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
954 in 592 posts
Thanks given: 261

Phone: Jolla, BB Z10, N950, N900, N8, Nexus 4 (Ubuntu Touch), Lumia 920 :-)

PostPosted: Thursday, 12.Feb.2009 01:59    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Haven't I foreseen such a scenario? I've been warning against such effects of piracy for a couple of years now. Now my predictions slowly start becoming reality. CPS is not the first company to suspend development due to piracy, and certainly not the last.

If you want to see less and less good software being released for Symbian OS, keep using hacks, warez and all these things some sites calling themselves "Premier place for Symbian users" so stubbornly promote. And soon you'll end up with no new software at all, neither pirated nor legal.

Wake up people before it's too late.
victos
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
0 in 0 posts
Thanks given: 0

Phone: SE-W950i

PostPosted: Thursday, 12.Feb.2009 02:04    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Users of all the operating systems use cracked apps and UIQ3 is not an exception here indeed. This is a global problem not only for UIQ3 developers and users.
Unfortunately UIQ3 has been neglected by developers from the very beginning... CPS has been the exception. It's your choice and your right to suspend the development of all the ongoing UIQ projects... but it's really sad news...
My-Symbian
Sponsored links

PostPosted:     Post subject: Sponsored links      

koolezt
Forum Elder
Forum Elder

Thanks received:
0 in 0 posts

Phone: motorola a1000, se p990 org=cxc 162036 r6e28 + cda=cda 162007/2 r6e28

PostPosted: Thursday, 12.Feb.2009 02:19    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
954 in 592 posts
Thanks given: 261

Phone: Jolla, BB Z10, N950, N900, N8, Nexus 4 (Ubuntu Touch), Lumia 920 :-)

PostPosted: Thursday, 12.Feb.2009 02:42    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

Users of all the operating systems use cracked apps and UIQ3 is not an exception here indeed.

The difference you apparently haven't noticed is that unlike "all the operating systems", UIQ3 is a system that is now officially DEAD. That's why users of UIQ3 phones should take BETTER CARE about keeping developers interested in still writing new software for this platform, a DEAD END platform, with no new phones to be released and not even firmware updates. And the only way to keep developers interested in creating new software is to BUY their software instead of STEALING it.

I already mentioned this example several times, but it's worth repeating: only because a system dies doesn't have to mean that all developers abandon it. Sometimes it is quite profitable for developers to support even a niche or abandoned platform, if there are only users willing to still buy their products. Amiga computers are the best example. Even though Commodore went bankrupt in mid '90s, lots of companies continued writing software and releasing accessories for the Amigas, and some of them still do (!). But that's only because there was an unwritten rule among Amigans that using warez is unacceptable and in order to keep the platform alive everybody is expected to only use LEGAL software. And this approach turned out to be successful.

The same thing could work for UIQ3, if only people wanted to keep it alive by supporting developers and only using LEGAL software. If they don't, UIQ3 will be a history in just a couple of months. And those who think they saved some money on using warez instead of spending it on legal copies, will eventually lose even more as their UIQ3 phones will lose all their value and they won't be able to sell them when they decide to switch to some other platform as no one will be willing to pay even one Eurocent for them.

Quote:

Unfortunately UIQ3 has been neglected by developers from the very beginning... CPS has been the exception.

By some - yes, by some - definitely not. Not just CPS, but also Smartphoneware, Epocware, WebGate and quite a lot of other developer companies who released quite a lot of very good programs for UIQ3 phones. But almost ALL of them recently suspended or cancelled all their further UIQ3 developments, for precisely the same reasons as Zed described above. So while many developers indeed ignored the UIQ platform since the beginning, those who DID NOT ignore it and supported it with useful and valuable software, now dropped it. And that's MAINLY due to piracy combined with the fact that the platform is now dead. Even if the piracy is similar like e.g. on S60, the S60 at least has a future (new models to come, i.e. new potential software buyers), which is what UIQ3 doesn't have. UIQ3 developers can only rely on EXISTING users (as there won't be any new ones), so it's a matter if more of them START buying legal software, or keep using warez. As I wrote, in case of a DEAD platform it simply takes MORE EFFORTS from users to convince developers that it's still worthwhile to further support the platform. And there are no such efforts. It's definitely not developers to blame for that, at least not those who always supported the UIQ platform like CPS, but definitely not just CPS.

Even the most devoted developer of UIQ freeware - AnotherGuest - now focused on S60 releases. Which doesn't surprise me too much considering that tens of thousands of people were downloading his software from this site while only 5-10 people bothered to comment on it, rate it or even just say 'thanks'. Check our Downloads and compare the download counters with the number of comments and votes. People got so much depraved by warez that they no longer bother to show any appreciation to those releasing FREE applications, while such appreciation is actually what freeware developers expect the most. But warez are free, too, and don't require saying 'thanks' to anyone, and tens of thousands of people using warez got used to just downloading software without doing ANYTHING in exchange. This is how warez kills BOTH commercial AND freeware development.

Do you think I'm wrong? Ask Zed, or actually just re-read his post. He clearly described his reasons. I think he knows better than you why it no longer makes sense for him to create software for UIQ.
Anagarika
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Thanks received:
0 in 0 posts
Thanks given: 4

Phone: Currently: HTC TyTn II, N900; Previously: M600i R6A16

PostPosted: Thursday, 12.Feb.2009 08:27    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Aye to Zed and Michal.

I've said the same thing over one site that I visit mostly for the hacking and tweaking .. got a lot of flame for that, but at the same time, some 'thanks' and 'rep. added' from decent people.

It's unfortunate, the number of decent people is too small to sustain further UIQ software development.
Neutral
kradcliffe
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
2 in 2 posts

Phone: Nokia 9110i, SE P910i, SE P990i, SE P1i, Samsung Omnia HD

PostPosted: Thursday, 12.Feb.2009 09:58    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Hi Zed, it is sad indeed, however I am surprised it's taken you this long to make the decision. People lost confidence in SE & UIQ a long time ago and have moved to other platforms. I have had several S60 handsets and I also have an iphone .... but UIQ is still the best solution at the moment. People move with the trends and the masses and you should too. There's no point being sentimental, go where the money is.
Just remember, CPS and SMP were the saviours of the P990i and UIQ3 to a point and that is something we will remember for a long time. Good luck.

Lisa@CPS
DEVELOPER
DEVELOPER

Thanks received:
4 in 2 posts

PostPosted: Thursday, 12.Feb.2009 10:43    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:
I am surprised it's taken you this long to make the decision. ... There's no point being sentimental, go where the money is.
Yes, there are sentiments here. My goal is not making a huge profit, instead just paying my bills while doing an enjoyable (and hopefully useful) work. I do not like at all the decision that I had to make.

Quote:
Users of all the operating systems use cracked apps
Surely all platforms have the piracy problem. Exactly as Michal said above, the combination of a small user base and a high piracy rate makes development financially impossible.

Using non-paid software on a UIQ phone is equivalent to littering in your own bed. It has a different immediate effect than littering in a jungle. If more people would understand this, there could be more programs for UIQ. If, however, the situation remains then I don't visit your room, rather go out to the jungle for fresh air.

Of course this message is for the illegal users, not those who write in this forum.
AVR4000
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
54 in 38 posts

Phone: Nokia N70, Nokia N95 8 GB, Nokia E52, Nokia E61, Nokia 9300i, Nokia E90, SE Xperia X1, HTC HD2, HTC Thunderbolt

PostPosted: Thursday, 12.Feb.2009 10:45    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

It´s interesting with comparisons between UIQ3 and Amiga. When Commodore went bankrupt other companies decided to keep the development going which at last gave us PowerPC 603e and 604e CPUs to this platform. And many optimizations to the OS itself which kept it alive.

When we talk about the UIQ3 platform I think the situation is different. The last "power user device" with the system onboard was the P1i and it´s not longer in production. The G900 has another customer base (mainstream) and I think it´s not the easiest product to support with new apps.

When it comes to the P990i, M600i and P1i I have a strong feeling many users are jumping the ship and switching to other devices, both S60 and WM because they are old and not supported any more. And the WM platform is very nice for power users even if the UI could be more optimized.

I´m afraid the hardware in the UIQ3 devices isn´t enough to keep the users onboard that ship. It´s very tempting to get a new device with for example better and bigger screen and so on.

Unlike the Amiga there´s no development on the hardware side at all (and good software needs good hardware). I think the death for the UIQ3 is coming very fast in that rapid changing area the smartphone business is.

It´s better (but a sad fact) the developers need to switch to S60 and/or WM development. I think many UIQ power users has already switched device and more is to follow. Sad but I think it´s true.
indeego
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
0 in 0 posts

Phone: P1i

PostPosted: Thursday, 12.Feb.2009 14:21    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Well, I think AVR4000 made some really good points here.

The problem with UIQ3 is that the onboard apps (at least half of them) are missing some very basic features or the phone lacks basic features at all. Because of that you have to get a high number of new apps and this makes it, at least for me, hard to stay away from the very tempting oppurtunity to use pirated software.
I paid 350€ for my P1i, if I would buy every app this phone needs, I'd have to pay another 250€. That's insane.
I am not saying it's ok to pirate each and every app, but it's definitely very tempting and I admit I use two pirated apps (not CPS).
In some sense, it's SEs fault that the piracy rate is especially high on the UIQ3 platform.

Anyway, what about project-based development, CPS? Users could donate, say, 500$ per app and the development starts when the needed amount of money is reached (paypal anyone?)?
In this case, I know, donating users support pirating users, but this has always been the case, right? Maybe this could be the last exit for UIQ3 powerusers Rolling Eyes Wink
ph
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
5 in 5 posts

Phone: iPhone 5 (Samsung Galaxy S2 & 3, iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, Omnia HD, SE P1i, K750i, Nokia E71, HTC Pro, Nokia E90, P900, P910i, P990i)

PostPosted: Thursday, 12.Feb.2009 14:23    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Of course it is true I am going to check the new models, namely N97 with S60 5th ed, P1i is just really better for me right now. If i like the nokia i shall probably switch there. The new Palm is also a question mark...
kradcliffe
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
2 in 2 posts

Phone: Nokia 9110i, SE P910i, SE P990i, SE P1i, Samsung Omnia HD

PostPosted: Thursday, 12.Feb.2009 14:52    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

indeego wrote:
The problem with UIQ3 is that the onboard apps (at least half of them) are missing some very basic features or the phone lacks basic features at all.

You are so right, the P990i / P1i music player is useless (just one example). Was this due to the ineptitude of SE and their programming or a deliberate ploy to force users to upgrade to better and more feature rich apps, therefore helping developers? Funny how the SE music player takes ages to load and pauses 10 seconds between tracks (unless you split them in to subdirectories of 25) but LCG and Coreplayer work perfectly ......

jmh2002
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
0 in 0 posts

Phone: SE P990i

PostPosted: Thursday, 12.Feb.2009 14:59    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

However, most users buying high end 'smart phones' shouldn't really consider themselves budget users, and most apps are around the €10-15 mark, especially from cellphonesoft.

On top of that, many developers appear happy to issue new reg keys for new phones, so, Ive carried a lot of my apps with me from phone to phone, some since my P800 days. That seems like good value from the orginal investment.

So, I can't really see much justification for pirated software. You have to pay to play.
Lisa@CPS
DEVELOPER
DEVELOPER

Thanks received:
4 in 2 posts

PostPosted: Thursday, 12.Feb.2009 15:07    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

@AVR4000: You are very right, but mistreatment of UIQ by its licensees is not the topic of this thread. The topic here is mistreatment by users.

@indeego: Welcome to the forum and thanks for telling your opinion.

Quote:
In some sense, it's SEs fault that the piracy rate is especially high on the UIQ3 platform.

There is truth in what you say, but again, the actions by SE are uncontrollable, while the attitude of users... well, is that controllable? Confused

Quote:
Users could donate, say, 500$ per app and the development starts when the needed amount of money is reached

This is theoretically and technically possible, but I bet it would not work out in this form. Unless some of the demanding and honest users is filthy rich, able to take on sponsorship, the amount you mention would be collected much later than the last UIQ phone goes to the dustbin. At least, this is what my experience says.

Quote:
many developers appear happy to issue new reg keys for new phones

Just today I issued three such registration renewals. Other than that, since the existence of CPS dozens of people who explained why they are unable to buy some app were given free registrations. This is not demoralizing to CPS, while faceless piracy is!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> Symbian OS UIQ 3.x All times are GMT + 2 Hours

Go to page  
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic