MEEGO  SECTION
-My-MeeGo.com-
SOFTWARE STORECONTACT

My-Symbian.com Forums
My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo
Symbian & Linux based Communicator and Smartphone Info Center
The Oldest Symbian Community Website - Since 1999

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RulesRules   Log inLog in 
Lightweight, simplified version of the forumsMobile version
eBook Reader

Go to page
1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> Symbian OS S60 5th Edition (Symbian ^1)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Are eBooks important to you and your Smartphone
Yes
82%
 82%  [ 28 ]
No
11%
 11%  [ 4 ]
eBooks Yes - Smartphone No
5%
 5%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 34

krischik
Forum Senior
Forum Senior

Thanks received:
11 in 6 posts
Thanks given: 21

Phone: Nexus One, p990i, p900

PostPosted: Monday, 13.Jul.2009 21:43    Post subject: eBook Reader   Reply with quote   

Hello,

One , if the the main reason why I have not yet replaced my P990i is the distinct shortage of eBook reader for S60E5.

Sure you could use the E3 version of Mobipocket reader - if you enjoy reading on only half the screen.

There was also a Java version of Mobipcoket reader - was - the Java verified certificate has run out. And a new certificate is unlikely.

Only registered users can see links
Register or log in to see the link
anyway.

The new eBook kid on the block is ePUB which anybody apart from Amazon (Mobipocket is a subsidiary of Amanzon - which is probably also the reason why Mobipocket is dying) is using nowadays. You can get ePUB reader for iPhone, Android, Windows mobile but not Symbian.

And speaking of the iPhone - dedicated eBook shops for iPhone open

and
. I am almost tempted to get an iPhone just because of it. If the blasted thing only supported Java.

Back to the Point. I have a couple a questions:

Did I miss something? Maybe there is an eBook reader for S60E5 after all.

And if not what is to do? And something should be done as eBooks are the next big thing. Currently the companies squabble over DRM - but that is to go soon - first companies like

and
offer books without the dreaded DRM.

And here lies a chance as well: Without DRM one does not need a licence to develop an eBook reader. And yes: I would pay for decent reader.

Martin
My-Symbian
Sponsored links

PostPosted: Monday, 13.Jul.2009 21:43    Post subject: Sponsored links      

akarin
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Thanks received:
0 in 0 posts
Thanks given: 0

Phone: Nokia E71, N85

PostPosted: Tuesday, 14.Jul.2009 03:26    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

I have looked around as well, and alas no decent choice here. And it's one of the 2 main reasons stopping me from taking the plunge into the Touch world.

It is such a pity this slow death is happening to Mobipocket. It feels to me almost like a criminal behaviour,buying up a (potential)rival and then slowly suffocating it
pjblara1976
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
0 in 0 posts

Phone: N97, SEP1i, e61i

PostPosted: Tuesday, 14.Jul.2009 05:33    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

I use Z-reader. It's free and about as easy to use as Mobipocket Reader/Mobipocket Creator was.
aqualung
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
0 in 0 posts

Phone: N900

PostPosted: Tuesday, 14.Jul.2009 06:26    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

@krischik

I agree that the utter lack of Mobipocket contribution to S60v5 is a disgrace. I have some unfinished ebooks on my P1i which I will have to read there, rather than on my 5800XM, if I want to read them at all Evil or Very Mad The lack of comment from their side on the Mobipocket forums is also shameful.

I'm using isilo at the moment. It's really a nice offering - they have released a version for S60v5. I'm using it mainly to read free ebooks from memoware (great website!) and Project Gutenberg, rather then purchased ebooks.
My-Symbian
Sponsored links

PostPosted:     Post subject: Sponsored links      

krischik
Forum Senior
Forum Senior

Thanks received:
11 in 6 posts

PostPosted: Tuesday, 14.Jul.2009 09:22    Post subject: MobiDeDRM   Reply with quote   

aqualung wrote:
I have some unfinished ebooks on my P1i which I will have to read there, rather than on my 5800XM, if I want to read them at all Evil or Very Mad

Depending on which country you live in a Google for "Mobipocket remove DRM" might be helpful. In Switzerland the Customer rights and disabilities activists lobbied hard and here stripping DRM for private use is legal since 2007. Laughing

aqualung wrote:
The lack of comment from their side on the Mobipocket forums is also shameful.

I noticed that when Stanza was bought from Amazon official comments on new product features dropped to zero.

aqualung wrote:
I'm using isilo at the moment. It's really a nice offering - they have released a version for S60v5.

I'll check it out. And in future I will buy books without DRM.

Martin
aqualung
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
0 in 0 posts

Phone: N900

PostPosted: Tuesday, 14.Jul.2009 21:13    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Martin

Thanks for the advice....I'll take a look at that.

For anyone looking for a nice ebook site, I can also recommend

Nicely laid out, and over 24 000 free ebooks, offered in every format possible. Looks like they are sourcing their stuff from more than just Project Gutenberg too.
przyspam
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
0 in 0 posts
Thanks given: 2

Phone: e61

PostPosted: Wednesday, 15.Jul.2009 02:01    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

maybe Qreader has a version for s60 5th.. ?
krischik
Forum Senior
Forum Senior

Thanks received:
11 in 6 posts

PostPosted: Wednesday, 15.Jul.2009 08:08    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

przyspam wrote:
maybe Qreader has a version for s60 5th.. ?

You mean this QReader:

Well its website is pretty short and free of any E5:

Quote:
QReader

Ebook reader for S60

S60 v3 (Nokia N95 etc): qreaderS60v3.sisx

will be updated soon

BTW: Many of us don't actually have an E5 device - we only think about buying one and in my case the lack of eBooks support holds me back. Please provide comments on the applications quoted as well.

Martin

horror
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Thanks received:
1 in 1 posts
Thanks given: 10

Phone: E90, P1i, Jolla

PostPosted: Thursday, 16.Jul.2009 17:13    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

ZXreader is not a bad choice.
terrien
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Thanks received:
0 in 0 posts

Phone: g900, p1, p990, p900, p800

PostPosted: Thursday, 16.Jul.2009 22:34    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

From Nokia PhoneBlog about ZXReader :
krischik
Forum Senior
Forum Senior

Thanks received:
11 in 6 posts

PostPosted: Friday, 17.Jul.2009 19:57    Post subject: Own format - yuck!   Reply with quote   

terrien wrote:
From Nokia PhoneBlog about ZXReader :

So I have a look:

Quote:
And that catch is – ZXReader is only compatible with two types of file formats: regular text files and .fb2 files.

And well - that is of no help at all. An eBook reader these days should support either Mobipocket or ePUB. Better both.

And since ePUB is XML based there is certainly no need for FB2 to be invented.

All well..
pjblara1976
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
0 in 0 posts

PostPosted: Saturday, 18.Jul.2009 18:04    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

I'm sort of used to having to derive my mobipocket eBooks from text or HTML files so using a different eBook creator program like Fiction Book Designer doesn't bother me that anymore than having to use mobipocket creator did. I can't speak for everyone but I don't think it's that huge an issue to migrate from mobipocket reader/creator to fiction book designer/ZXReader
krischik
Forum Senior
Forum Senior

Thanks received:
11 in 6 posts

PostPosted: Saturday, 18.Jul.2009 18:50    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

pjblara1976 wrote:
I'm sort of used to having to derive my mobipocket eBooks from text or HTML files

I see the difference here. I actually buy book and they usually come either as Mobipocket or as ePUB. And both format can be converted into the other easily enough. Calibre does it with excellent quality.

Another format means another converter. But will it have the same ease of use and quality?

pjblara1976
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
0 in 0 posts

PostPosted: Sunday, 19.Jul.2009 04:20    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Once you open Fiction Book Designer, it usually takes just 3 clicks of your mouse to convert an HTML file into FB2 format. So in that sense, it's pretty convenient. It's just a matter of getting used to the whole process. Quality of output depends on how much you've tweaked the HTML source, which I do quite a bit.

On the other hand, extracting HTML from the ePub or Mobipocket format does add a few more steps but if you have an hour or two to kill, you can probably convert 30 to 40 ePubs or Mobibooks easily.

Clearly, since Mobipocket is on the ropes, you'll have to adapt to a new format and way of doing things sooner or later. I think it's pretty evident that Amazon is going to abandon mobipocket in favor of its Kindle platform. You might want to think of it as re-digitizing the contents of an old digital archive to a new database -- this happens a lot in the IT universe.

I love books and I'm actually pretty old-school with most of the books I do like; I buy the print edition -- and usually in hardcover. This being the case, I don't base my decision on what mobile technology I'm going to use on whether or not it supports an electronic reader. If there's a good selection, great. If not, it won't affect my decision one way or another.

Just different strokes for different folks, I guess.

All I'm saying is that there's a viable alternative out there for S60v5 that isn't that much of a paradigm shift from Mobipocket.
krischik
Forum Senior
Forum Senior

Thanks received:
11 in 6 posts

PostPosted: Sunday, 19.Jul.2009 09:13    Post subject: No format War   Reply with quote   

pjblara1976 wrote:
Clearly, since Mobipocket is on the ropes, you'll have to adapt to a new format and way of doing things sooner or later. I think it's pretty evident that Amazon is going to abandon mobipocket in favor of its Kindle platform. You might want to think of it as re-digitizing the contents of an old digital archive to a new database -- this happens a lot in the IT universe.

Absolutely right Mobipocket dying and one has to look for a replacement.

But that replacement has been decided already:

. There was no format war this time - everybody - even Sony - agreed. Even Mobipocket has ePUB support - not in the reader but the Mobipocket Windows Reader/Library-manager will convert ePUB on import.

ePUB is an open xml/zip based format. That is XML-Files packages inside a Zip-File. It has been designed to be easily converted into other format. Mobipocket ⇄ conversions work without loss of quality. Just for the fun of it I converted 200 Mobipocket books to ePUB. Calibre needed 5'36".

And calibre can convert HTML as well. It has this nice RSS function where RSS feeds are converted to eBooks and send to the device on next connect.

But still - I won't dismiss ZXReader. Only - anybody knows where it's home-page is. if You google for ZXReader all you get are forum and blog entries...

Martin
Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> Symbian OS S60 5th Edition (Symbian ^1) All times are GMT + 2 Hours

Go to page
1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic