MEEGO  SECTION
-My-MeeGo.com-
SOFTWARE STORECONTACT

My-Symbian.com Forums

My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo
Symbian & Linux based Communicator and Smartphone Info Center
The Oldest Symbian Community Website - Since 1999

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RulesRules   Log inLog in 
Lightweight, simplified version of the forumsMobile version
Questions for Nokia N900 preview

Go to page  
Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 49, 50, 51  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> Maemo 5 Fremantle
View previous topic :: View next topic  
benladene
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
0 in 0 posts
Thanks given: 1

Phone: N80

PostPosted: Saturday, 26.Sep.2009 18:47    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Michal : another question : How about the infrared? It has an infrared port, sensor or what exactly?
My-Symbian
Sponsored links

PostPosted: Saturday, 26.Sep.2009 18:47    Post subject: Sponsored links      

lanbrown
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
0 in 0 posts
Thanks given: 0

Phone: E90, E72, E61, 6682, 3660

PostPosted: Saturday, 26.Sep.2009 19:08    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

substance wrote:
if a digital compass is not available in the device then walking navigation is really difficult. nokia maps will lay out the map for you, where you are and how you should get to where you want to go but if you are not familiar with the streets, you dont know which way you should head. you have to walk a few minutes for your device to figure out if you are walking the right direction of backwards. if there is a digital compass, the device knows which you are facing and lay the map out accordingly.

its still the best device out there with some minor functions missing. but i guess they are saving those for the new commie:)

It takes less than 50 meters; the sensitivity is pretty good; E90 included. Many times it was more like walk 5 meters and it figured it out.

The N900 has a newer Navilink to that on the E90 and is even more sensitive. How do I know it has the newer chip? The newer chip has FM Rx/Tx capabilities; something the N900 has.

Navilink 6.0:
"The Industry's first single-chip solution integrating A-GPS, Bluetoothand ultra-low power, and FM radio Rx/Tx
A board area 40 percent smaller than previous solutions as a result of TI’s DRP technology and 65-nm manufacturing process
Longer battery life with an integrated power-saving module that cuts power requirements in half
Optimized coexistence software to minimize interference issues
80 percent faster TTFF and better reception in urban canyons and indoor environments
Interfaces with TI’s 3G and OMAP™ solutions to deliver a complete solution for handset OEMs"

The N900 and the Navilink both have A-GPS, BT 2.1, FM TX/Rx.

Nokia could have used the WiLink 6.0 chip to get the BT 2.1 and the FM Tx/Rx, but they didn't. How do I know this? That chip supports B/G/N 802.11 or A/B/G/N depending on the model used. The N900 doesn't support N. Sure Nokia could have turned it off, but why? It would just be another selling point.

benladene wrote:
Michal : another question : How about the infrared? It has an infrared port, sensor or what exactly?

According to Nokia, no infrared.
http://maemo.nokia.com/n900/specifications/

Not many uses for it these days. Computers had infrared ports but more and more no longer have them. With BT and USB, not much need for infrared.

Last edited by lanbrown on Saturday, 26.Sep.2009 19:11; edited 1 time in total
Tom J
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Thanks received:
0 in 0 posts

Phone: (Psion 5, 5mx), 7650, 6600, 9500, E90

PostPosted: Saturday, 26.Sep.2009 19:09    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

from what I've read elsewhere it has a port (that someone's already working on the remote control app for!) and an IR prox sensor...
BentL

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
433 in 312 posts
Thanks given: 93

Phone: N9, N900, E90, 9300i, 9300, 9210

PostPosted: Saturday, 26.Sep.2009 22:31    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

substance wrote:
if a digital compass is not available in the device then walking navigation is really difficult. nokia maps will lay out the map for you, where you are and how you should get to where you want to go but if you are not familiar with the streets, you dont know which way you should head. you have to walk a few minutes for your device to figure out if you are walking the right direction of backwards.

On my E90, I only have to walk a few meters before Nokia Maps turns the map in the correct direction. So a digital compass is really not needed for walk navigation.

--
Bent Laursen
My-Symbian
Sponsored links

PostPosted:     Post subject: Sponsored links      

pierro78
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
0 in 0 posts
Thanks given: 3

Phone: E90

PostPosted: Sunday, 27.Sep.2009 00:39    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Is it true it has the usb host feature ?
if yes did you try to read some usb memory key with it ?

Thanks again !
dansus
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
0 in 0 posts

Phone: E63, E71, N82

PostPosted: Sunday, 27.Sep.2009 02:33    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

pierro78 wrote:

Thanks again !

No USB Host out of the box.

benladene wrote:
another question : How about the infrared? It has an infrared port, sensor or what exactly?

Infrared is at the top. It can be used as a tv remote ect.
substance
Site supporter
Site supporter

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
0 in 0 posts

Phone: Nokia 9300i,Nokia E90(Mocha),Nokia 6822b,Nokia E71,Nokia N810,Nokia 6263,Nokia N900,Nokia 5230 Nuron

PostPosted: Sunday, 27.Sep.2009 04:06    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

i dont like to walk that a few meters in the wrong direction:) I tried the walk navigation in new york city with my e90. it wasnt too good but it still helped. reception is tough between high rise buildings and the some streets are too close to each other sometimes nokia maps cant figure out which one you are on. most occasions i had to walk more than a few meters for nokia maps to get the correct direction. i guess nokia maps in europe is more efficient and accurate. nokia has a smaller market in the us. i dont think they pay as much attention to the maps here. i live near boston which is one of the top 20 markets in the us but nokia maps is poor for this area. most addresses cant be found if entered detailed(usually entering only zipcode works better) listings are usually old and not updated. i didnt have traffic info before this summer either. i have google maps also installed on my phone and most often amazed by how everything can be easly found in google maps but no voice guide of course. but nokia maps is evolving well. big improvement between maps 2 and 3. i guess maps 4 will be very good here in the US too.
ceroberts75
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
79 in 45 posts
Thanks given: 40

Phone: n9, n900, e90, 5800, e71-1, 9500, 7710, 2660

PostPosted: Sunday, 27.Sep.2009 04:14    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

tips for usa usage:

1. when entering the address...leave out dr./wy/way/drive/blvd./etc.
2. use the zip code instead of city or vice-versa if it doesnt finde it, ie-for the unincorporated areas of the cities
3. the maps update to 3.0 is much better then the previous versions and i have been using it a lot lately to test it out. it is way more accurate then the previous versions.
4. not sure why it would be so much better in other countries, considering that Navteq is right here by where i live!!!! lol
5. whenever there are many high rises, it is always difficult to get 3 satelites to see you at the same time in order to trianglulate your position. same happens in SF. i am sure that others in large cities that have building after building have similar situations.

lanbrown
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
0 in 0 posts

Phone: E90, E72, E61, 6682, 3660

PostPosted: Sunday, 27.Sep.2009 05:31    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

ceroberts75 wrote:

4. not sure why it would be so much better in other countries, considering that Navteq is right here by where i live!!!! lol

It is because Navteq doesn't care. I have contacted them about inaccurate information they provide their customers and after several months, they said there is nothing they can do. I provided that they have multiple addresses at the same exact location (20+), wrong street name and wrong county. This was in just one area. I don't get that there is nothing they can do. It is their data that is inaccurate. Wrong county information takes the cake though. I can get the county information for free (and provided it to them) but they did nothing.
Guse
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Thanks received:
0 in 0 posts

Phone: E7, E75, N900, 5230

PostPosted: Sunday, 27.Sep.2009 10:03    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

About infrared: There is a very good infrared sensor and transmitter. It's better than my Philips remote Smile

Walking navigation: GPS sensor is goog and works also inside in the buildings to certain grade. Ovi MAPS shows the direction immediately after few steps.

I use eCoach when I walknavigate, cos it draws the route and shows map in realtime. Only choose the scale so big that you can see one meters remove.

I have never needed real compass or digicompass when navigating on streets. At sea I'm using compass regularly.
ez2remember
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
1 in 1 posts

Phone: PRESENT: HD2 running WM & ANDROID 2.2 PAST: N900, Touch HD, E90, N95 8GB, N95, N800, 9300 & 6680, Moto A920 & A1000, SE P800, P900 + Other Smartphones

PostPosted: Sunday, 27.Sep.2009 16:01    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Can the N900 be used as a torch/flashlight using the dual LED's?

Can we turn on the dual LED light during video recording mode?

Many thanks
zkyevolved
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
0 in 0 posts

Phone: Maybe N900

PostPosted: Sunday, 27.Sep.2009 16:13    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

I actually have another question as well. If you connect to Skype, Gtalk or Ovi Talk (is that what it's called?) and you don't have a contact for that person, do you have to make one? Or will they just show up with their nick name in your address book? Or is there a contact list type thing? Smile
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
939 in 580 posts
Thanks given: 259

Phone: Jolla, BB Z10, N950, N900, N8, Nexus 4 (Ubuntu Touch), Lumia 920 :-)

PostPosted: Sunday, 27.Sep.2009 16:38    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

How about the infrared? It has an infrared port, sensor or what exactly?

It definitely has an infrared port. You can see it next to the camera button. Don't know about the sensor as there are absolutely no settings (or any other kind of support) in the device for IR at the moment.

However, 3rd party apps for the N900 using the IR port are already in development, e.g. Irreco:

http://irreco.garage.maemo.org/

Quote:

The N900 has a newer Navilink to that on the E90 and is even more sensitive.

That's right. It has the same chip as the Omnia HD. Apparently, all OMAP3430 devices come with this newer chip, as opposed to OMAP2420 ones, like the E90. The Navilink 6 chip is MUCH FASTER and MUCH MORE SENSITIVE, beyond comparison.

Quote:

It is not enabled by default, but it's quite easy to enable it. Google for "USB host N810". You can do it the very same way on the N900.

Quote:

Can the N900 be used as a torch/flashlight using the dual LED's?

Not by default, but it's really not difficult for someone to write a small 3rd party app enabling this...

Quote:

Can we turn on the dual LED light during video recording mode?

Not at the moment. But the Camera app on my unit isn't finished yet, so it's possible that it'll be included in the final software.

Quote:

If you connect to Skype, Gtalk or Ovi Talk (is that what it's called?) and you don't have a contact for that person, do you have to make one? Or will they just show up with their nick name in your address book? Or is there a contact list type thing?

As long as you configure a Skype account and log in, all your Skype contacts will be downloaded from Skype server and shown in your Contacts.

Elohim
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
1 in 1 posts

Phone: Nokia N900.

PostPosted: Sunday, 27.Sep.2009 19:49    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Michal Jerz

Waiting for the review Very Happy

Will you upload it tonight ?

/Linus
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
939 in 580 posts
Thanks given: 259

Phone: Jolla, BB Z10, N950, N900, N8, Nexus 4 (Ubuntu Touch), Lumia 920 :-)

PostPosted: Monday, 28.Sep.2009 03:50    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

Will you upload it tonight ?

No, tomorrow in the evening.
It's hell of a lot of work. Not only 110 kB of text but also about 200 screenshots (and if I find the time also a couple of videos). The text is ready, all screenshots taken, half of them processed and added to the text. So what's left to do is process and add the remaining 100 screenshots and, possibly, record and upload a couple of videos. Doable until tomorrow evening, I think.

I need to be quick because I was told that the Satio is on the way Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> Maemo 5 Fremantle All times are GMT + 2 Hours

Go to page  
Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 49, 50, 51  Next
Page 9 of 51

Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic