MEEGO  SECTION
-My-MeeGo.com-
SOFTWARE STORECONTACT

My-Symbian.com Forums

My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo
Symbian & Linux based Communicator and Smartphone Info Center
The Oldest Symbian Community Website - Since 1999

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RulesRules   Log inLog in 
Lightweight, simplified version of the forumsMobile version
Questions for Nokia N900 preview

Go to page  
Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 49, 50, 51  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> Maemo 5 Fremantle
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pierro78
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
0 in 0 posts
Thanks given: 3

Phone: E90

PostPosted: Thursday, 17.Sep.2009 08:30    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Thanks again for your answers Michal !

Some other questions :

- free memory after boot ?
- did you have a chance to try Nokia Maps on it ? if yes how was it ?
- did you have a chance to try the Tear Webkit browser ( http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=28539&highlight=webkit ) on it ? if yes how was it ?

Thanks again !!
My-Symbian
Sponsored links

PostPosted: Thursday, 17.Sep.2009 08:30    Post subject: Sponsored links      

Tom J
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Thanks received:
0 in 0 posts
Thanks given: 0

Phone: (Psion 5, 5mx), 7650, 6600, 9500, E90

PostPosted: Thursday, 17.Sep.2009 15:52    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Now you've had a while to play with it, and I assume there's been some pretty intense playing, what's the battery life like?
Guse
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Thanks received:
0 in 0 posts

Phone: E7, E75, N900, 5230

PostPosted: Thursday, 17.Sep.2009 20:28    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Tom J wrote:
Now you've had a while to play with it, and I assume there's been some pretty intense playing, what's the battery life like?

My device have a little bit newer firmware than Michal's. The battery life was in the beginning about 8 hours and now it's 12-13 hours.

I have wlan on continuously and browse quite a lot and play videos and use gps. It's quite good result of test device in this stage. Much better than for E75 in the same development stage. I'm sure that the specifications tell the truth of battery usage times.
ceroberts75
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
79 in 45 posts
Thanks given: 40

Phone: n9, n900, e90, 5800, e71-1, 9500, 7710, 2660

PostPosted: Thursday, 17.Sep.2009 20:32    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

isnt it the same battery as the 5800 xpressmusic? that would be some great battery life! Very Happy
My-Symbian
Sponsored links

PostPosted:     Post subject: Sponsored links      

Guse
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Thanks received:
0 in 0 posts

PostPosted: Thursday, 17.Sep.2009 20:38    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

pierro78 wrote:
Thanks again for your answers Michal !

Some other questions :

- did you have a chance to try the Tear Webkit browser ( http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=28539&highlight=webkit ) on it ? if yes how was it ?

Thanks again !!

My answers
- Free memory 58,2 MB (all possible available N900 software installed)
- I have Nokia Maps and it's quite good, but voice navigation is lacking. GPS is pretty fast and accurate.
- No possibility to use Tear
Guse
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Thanks received:
0 in 0 posts

PostPosted: Thursday, 17.Sep.2009 20:43    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

ceroberts75 wrote:
isnt it the same battery as the 5800 xpressmusic? that would be some great battery life! Very Happy

Yes the battery is the same BL 5J
kalim13
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Thanks received:
0 in 0 posts

Phone: N9500, N9210, sep900, sep990i, Nok N81, nok E61, Nokia E90

PostPosted: Friday, 18.Sep.2009 00:43    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Michal,

do you see the lack of Java being a hinderance? i'm trying to understand why Nokia always seem to give something but take something away at the same time(Unless the new E series communicator will include Java to re-establish it as the premium phone it is marketed as)
Zmurphen
Forum Elder
Forum Elder

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
0 in 0 posts
Thanks given: 1

Phone: N73, E90, HD2

PostPosted: Friday, 18.Sep.2009 08:56    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Are there keyboard shurtcuts for Page Up/Down/Right/Left when browsing the web?

jcompagner
Forum Elder
Forum Elder

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
0 in 0 posts

Phone: P800, 9300, E90

PostPosted: Friday, 18.Sep.2009 10:39    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

kalim13 wrote:
Michal,

do you see the lack of Java being a hinderance? i'm trying to understand why Nokia always seem to give something but take something away at the same time(Unless the new E series communicator will include Java to re-establish it as the premium phone it is marketed as)

i think nokia didnt want to have yet another type of interface.

Because if they would give java on the N900 (which i do find also a bit pity because i am a java developer my self). Which java do they give on such a machine? Because it is just linux the normal JRE ?
But then you have to program it in swing ui lib? That would not really fit into the N900.

So i guess they have to create a Java ME edition for that phone with there own ui that maps on the N900 native code..

all in all i can understand why nokia doesnt have it right now..

What i do find a pity is that when i want to develop for the N900 (what i will look into) i seem to need to do this under linux. So i need to construct a vm for this or something like that.

And that is by biggest point. I really hope that developing for the N900 will be something like click on a setup.exe -> next -> next -> finish
Launch the program, import hello world example -> run it in an emulator (or directly on the phone)

But i am afraid that will not happen Sad
jcompagner
Forum Elder
Forum Elder

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
0 in 0 posts

Phone: P800, 9300, E90

PostPosted: Friday, 18.Sep.2009 10:46    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

ceroberts75 wrote:

i rather would have it the same as in the E90.. (or more)
thats a 1500..
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
952 in 590 posts
Thanks given: 261

Phone: Jolla, BB Z10, N950, N900, N8, Nexus 4 (Ubuntu Touch), Lumia 920 :-)

PostPosted: Friday, 18.Sep.2009 12:37    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

Free RAM is some 50-60 MB, but it's a proto build so memory consumption isn't optimized yet (power and memory are usually the last things to optimize after everything else has been done). Moreover, the N900 has a virtual (swap) memory so it looks different than on Symbian OS devices. When the OS needs more memory than currently available, it additionally uses the virtual memory, so it is unlikely to ever see "No memory" errors.

Quote:

As a moving map, it's really nice thanks to the huge display. But it currently lacks advanced navigation functionality. As Guse wrote, there is no voice navigation at the moment. Hopefully this will be added before the device starts shipping. Regarding the GPS receiver, it is really fast (gets fix in less than half a minute) and accurate.

Quote:

- did you have a chance to try the Tear Webkit browser

It did not work. Maybe a Maemo 5 version will be made soon. However, it's not a big issue as the built-in MicroB browser is really OK...

Quote:

As I wrote, battery life isn't great at the moment, but it's really hard to judge based on such an early proto I have. Next week I'll send it for an update and then I'll see if it gets better. The biggest power eater at the moment seems to be the GSM radio, so it needs some optimizations.

Quote:

Yes the battery is the same BL 5J

Yes, the battery is the same as in the 5800 XpressMusic. I even use them interachangeably. I too wish it had a bigger battery, but let's wait and see, maybe it'll be enough if newer firmwares will get some optimizations.

Quote:

Well, of course, Java support would be nice. But it's actually not true that Nokia took it away. Previous Internet Tablets didn't have Java, either. So it looks that Nokia simply does not have Java for Maemo. Maybe they'll add it later. But even if they don't, in case of Linux it should not be a huge problem as I'm sure there will be plenty of software, anyway. Python is available for Maemo, so maybe Nokia wants to focus on Python... Besides, it's also possible that someone else will port Java to the N900, e.g. based on the Jalimo project....

Quote:

Are there keyboard shurtcuts for Page Up/Down/Right/Left when browsing the web?

I was able to find the following shortcuts:
- Ctrl+N - new window
- Ctrl+B - bookmarks
- Ctrl+A - select all
- Ctrl+C - copy
- Ctrl+V - paste (to a text field)
- Ctrl+X - cut (from a text field)
- Ctrl+S - save file (selectable: complete web page or HTML only)
- Ctrl+D - Add address (to bookmarks, shortcut to desktop, subscribe to feeds)
- Ctrl+F - Find
- Ctrl+R - reload page
- Ctrl+O - Open offline file in the browser

Regarding PgUp/PgDown, while shortly pressing the arrow keys scrolls a page by a line of text or so, pressing them a bit longer scrolls by several lines (or maybe a paragraph) and pressing them even longer scrolls by half a page or so, etc. So, after you get used to it, you can do a PageUp/Down just by pressing and holding the arrow keys. Also, swiping your finger from up to bottom (and vice versa) seems to be scrolling the contents by a page.

Quote:

What i do find a pity is that when i want to develop for the N900 (what i will look into) i seem to need to do this under linux. So i need to construct a vm for this or something like that.

Should be relatively easy to set up a development environment for it, e.g. with the freeware VMWare player and a free, available for download disk image for it with the SDK and everything else installed and ready to use.
flamingsnot
Forum Elder
Forum Elder

Thanks received:
1 in 1 posts

Phone: Nokia 5800 UK Red+16gbMiSD, Nokia E71 Grey, Nokia Nokia N95 Deep Plum, Nokia E61, Nokia 6630, Panasonic X700, Nokia 3650

PostPosted: Friday, 18.Sep.2009 14:45    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Looking good so far!
openmitko
My first post!
My first post!

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
0 in 0 posts

Phone: NO Symbian phone (Neo FreeRunner))

PostPosted: Friday, 18.Sep.2009 15:31    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Special thanks to Michal and Guse for sharing with us their experience with N900 and Maemo 5.
I have a question about the audio capabilities of N900. Is the sound through the headphones good enough (enough strength, bass, etc.)? Can it be used for listening to music?

All information around the sound system will be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

flamingsnot
Forum Elder
Forum Elder

Thanks received:
1 in 1 posts

Phone: Nokia 5800 UK Red+16gbMiSD, Nokia E71 Grey, Nokia Nokia N95 Deep Plum, Nokia E61, Nokia 6630, Panasonic X700, Nokia 3650

PostPosted: Friday, 18.Sep.2009 15:45    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Welcome to the forums openmitko, Smile
zkyevolved
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
0 in 0 posts

Phone: Maybe N900

PostPosted: Friday, 18.Sep.2009 20:36    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Question 1!: While listening to music, do notifications go through the headphones or do they blast out of the speaker like Android (boooo for Android!).

Question 2!: Does the default mail client have imap idle protocol for "push" gmail?

Question 3!: Do you experience random disconnects through gtalk chat?

Thanks in advance Smile I'm REALLY Looking forward to this device :$....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> Maemo 5 Fremantle All times are GMT + 2 Hours

Go to page  
Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 49, 50, 51  Next
Page 5 of 51

Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic