MEEGO  SECTION
-My-MeeGo-
SOFTWARE STORECONTACT

My-Symbian.com Forums

My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo
Symbian & Linux based Communicator and Smartphone Info Center
The Oldest Symbian Community Website - Since 1999

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RulesRules   Log inLog in 
Lightweight, simplified version of the forumsMobile version
Digital compass

Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> Maemo 5 Fremantle
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tacman
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
0 in 0 posts
Thanks given: 0

Phone: sony ericsson c902

PostPosted: Tuesday, 29.Dec.2009 18:22    Post subject: Digital compass   Reply with quote   

I was surprised to read somewhere that the n900 does not have a digital compass. With augmented reality to be the next big thing I believe surely this is a bad over-site by Nokia
im92109210
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
3 in 3 posts
Thanks given: 12

Phone: E90 Black, 5800, N97, N97 Mini, N900

PostPosted: Tuesday, 29.Dec.2009 19:12    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

I personally never required a Digital Compass. I know its features and benefits with GPS, but really not a necessity.

I believe people see what features the iPhone has and if some device does not have it, it becomes this big over-sight, yet they do not consider the many things the iPhone lacks as an over-sight. (This may not be the case with the above post, just mentioning it)
regi
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Thanks received:
0 in 0 posts

Phone: N9500, N7610, N95-3, E71, N900

PostPosted: Tuesday, 29.Dec.2009 19:33    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

I think I'd need the compas if I took my phone deep into the wilderness for a few days. That never happens. I'm planning to load maps for the entire country for use on my gps in case that ever happens and I'm out of cell/edge/3g range.

I've also never used the fm transmitter and the last time I used mms was on my SE P800 back in '03 when I felt like sending a photo to a friend.
lanbrown
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
0 in 0 posts

Phone: E90, E72, E61, 6682, 3660

PostPosted: Tuesday, 29.Dec.2009 20:28    Post subject: Re: Digital compass   Reply with quote   

tacman wrote:
I was surprised to read somewhere that the n900 does not have a digital compass. With augmented reality to be the next big thing I believe surely this is a bad over-site by Nokia

How is it an oversight? You get a compass with GPS.

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/backstage/comments/iphone-3gs-compass -flakiness-blame-the-hardware-or-the-os/
Quote:
We’ve noticed that the iPhone 3GS compass is having some issues, too, though the scope and cause of those issues is difficult to quantify. The 3GS units we’ve tested have showed a fairly obvious unreliability in getting Maps or even their own Compass apps to agree on what the “right direction” is, and appear to have a very high degree of susceptibility to in-car magnetic fields. A week or two ago, we stopped by an Apple Store and put three 3GS units on a counter in the same direction, finding that their compasses all seemed to be pointing in somewhat different orientations that were off by single- or double-digit degrees. Repeated re-tests of something we noted in the iPhone 3GS review—Maps’ tendency to show north-south movement down a street as diagonal motion rather than northerly when the compass is activated—have continued to yield the same results in our test cars.

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2767
Quote:
iPhone 3GS has a built-in digital compass that works just like a magnetic needle compass. The accuracy of digital compass headings can be affected by magnetic or other environmental interference, including interference caused by the close proximity of the magnets contained in the iPhone earbuds. The compass may need to be calibrated from time to time. iPhone 3GS alerts you whenever calibration is needed. To calibrate, hold iPhone 3GS in your hand and move the device in a figure 8 motion until the calibration screen disappears. The digital compass should only be used for basic navigation assistance and should not be solely relied on to determine precise locations, proximity, distance, or direction.

So, why do you want a compass when the GPS one will be more accurate. All it does is add weight, takes battery power and requires space in the phone.
jcompagner
Forum Elder
Forum Elder

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
0 in 0 posts

Phone: P800, 9300, E90

PostPosted: Tuesday, 29.Dec.2009 21:12    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

a gps doesn't know your direction you are looking at.

Just do this. enable a gps without using a compass when you are standing on the street in a corner with 4+ ways to go.
Now without that you move you have no idea which way to go because a gps only knows the direction you go or look at when you move.

Now if you enable a compass besides your gps then the phone knows where you look at and you know at once which exit you should get.

Same of stuff like taken a photo, if you take a photo then with a compass you know exactly what direction you where looking at. A gps cant don't that.

So they are not the same thing, they complement each other.
lanbrown
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
0 in 0 posts

Phone: E90, E72, E61, 6682, 3660

PostPosted: Tuesday, 29.Dec.2009 21:25    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

That is what an Apple marketing person would say. All it takes is going a few feet and it now knows which direction is which. Here is an idea, start the GPS BEFORE you get to the corner and then you won't have that problem.

What good is the compass if you have to constantly calibrate it? Nothing like looking like an idiot doing figures 8 with the phone in your hand. What good is a compass that is not accurate? What good is a compass if the earphones can interfere with it? What good is a compass if using it within a car can interfere with it?

Oh, they do not compliment each other since virtually every GPS device will show you which way north is. A compass compliments a map though.
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1098 in 699 posts
Thanks given: 286

Phone: Jolla, BB Z10, BB Passport, N950, N900, N8, Nexus 4 (Ubuntu Touch), Lumia 920

PostPosted: Wednesday, 30.Dec.2009 05:08    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

a gps doesn't know your direction you are looking at.

Just do this. enable a gps without using a compass when you are standing on the street in a corner with 4+ ways to go.
Now without that you move you have no idea which way to go because a gps only knows the direction you go or look at when you move.

Right. But with today's GPS receivers' precision it takes moving just by a couple of meters for the GPS to rotate the map accordingly. So while digital compass surely is a nice addition, it is no longer a necessity....

I think lanbrown is also right about that annoying calibration. For reasons unknown to me, compass on the Omnia HD required me to re-calibrate it quite often, especially after I moved to a different place. Making a few steps for the GPS receiver to rotate the map in the right direction often turned out to be actually quicker than re-calibrating the compass...

Of course, it wouldn't hurt to have it on the N900. But it's not there, and if I could choose what to get I'd prefer voice dialling or decent GPS navigation software.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> Maemo 5 Fremantle All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic