MEEGO  SECTION
-My-MeeGo-
SOFTWARE STORECONTACT

My-Symbian.com Forums

My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo
Symbian & Linux based Communicator and Smartphone Info Center
The Oldest Symbian Community Website - Since 1999

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RulesRules   Log inLog in 
Lightweight, simplified version of the forumsMobile version
Ovi Maps

Go to page
1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> Maemo 5 Fremantle
View previous topic :: View next topic  
geozec
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
0 in 0 posts
Thanks given: 0

Phone: N78

PostPosted: Tuesday, 19.Jan.2010 11:13    Post subject: Ovi Maps   Reply with quote   

This is from the review at laptopmag.com:

GPS

Ovi Maps comes preinstalled on the N900. You can use it to search for millions of points of interest in the United States, plan routes, and save and share places. The premium voice-guided navigation feature will cost you $10.99 for two years of service, but it also provides live traffic, weather, and more. Driving directions are available for $8.99 per month, and live traffic is an additional $3.39 per day. We weren't able to grab a GPS signal in New York City due to the high-rise buildings, so we wouldn't recommend relying on the N900 to navigate in urban environments.

Sounds like they have exact numbers so maybe it's coming now.
Though what exactly is the difference between "premium voice-guided navigation" and "Driving directions". Also, 11$ per month is very steep compared to 0$ with the Droid or around 100$ that you spend in Europe on a GPS device.

If the weak GPS signal in a place like NY is something to be worried about is another question- the N900 GPS chip should be very sensitive, at least that's what I gathered so far.
mele
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
1 in 1 posts

Phone: none

PostPosted: Tuesday, 19.Jan.2010 11:21    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

or....thay havent even test it Smile.

Something tells me not to believe that review :/

don get me wrong, i would LOVE to have updated Ovi Maps soon
BentL

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
483 in 355 posts
Thanks given: 114

Phone: N9, N900, E90, 9300i, 9300, 9210

PostPosted: Tuesday, 19.Jan.2010 11:25    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Voice-guided navigation in Ovi Maps for the N900 cannot be far off as the latest firmware update provided driving instructions in text format. I guess the prices for voice-guided navigation will be more or less the same as for Ovi Maps 3.0 on S60 devices, see:

http://maps.nokia.com/explore-services/ovi-maps/downloads-and-services  /prices-and-coverage-3.0

I have bought a one year driving license for my E90. I expect this license to transferable to my N900 at some point.

--
Bent Laursen
geozec
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
0 in 0 posts

PostPosted: Tuesday, 19.Jan.2010 11:40    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

I suppose you are right.
Then again 60€ per year is too much these days.
Consider that the Droid does it for free, GPS devices get cheaper all the time and the N900 target user is not one who likes to pay (much) for SW. And some Nokia devices that cost a lot less have free navigation IIRC, so 60€ would put me off.
jcompagner
Forum Elder
Forum Elder

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
0 in 0 posts

Phone: P800, 9300, E90

PostPosted: Tuesday, 19.Jan.2010 11:45    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Bent: do you mean with driving instructions in text format just that you can see it in one view where all the turns are and so on (just like Google maps on the left side?)
or that the text will pop up when you need to turn? Because the latter doesn't work for me.

about that droid thing: I have mentioned that before on various places. Goolge maps is NOT free.. Its very expensive.. If i would have used Google maps last year instead of Ovi maps it would have cost me sooo much money.

Lets see my home country is The Netherlands but there i don't use maps that often, but i visited, Switzerland (all over the place), Italy (Milan), Spain (Barcelona) and the US (NY). In those countries i did use maps quite a bit. Now what i did was pre load the maps when i did visit that place. But on Google maps this would have hurt my wallet BIG time.. I think it would be in the hundreds of euro's

So as long as Google cant preload maps and cache the maps i want on the device it cant be compared with a off line solution, its nice when you are not roaming but if you start doing that then its not a solution.
geozec
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
0 in 0 posts

PostPosted: Tuesday, 19.Jan.2010 11:50    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

That's a fair point jcompagner. Then again I might buy once a 100e device with all of Europe on it, put it in my car and be good rather than pay 60€ per year.
Ok, if you use it a lot it may be worth the money, I use it maybe twice a month.
BentL

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
483 in 355 posts

PostPosted: Tuesday, 19.Jan.2010 11:53    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

jcompagner wrote:
Bent: do you mean with driving instructions in text format just that you can see it in one view where all the turns are and so on (just like Google maps on the left side?)
or that the text will pop up when you need to turn? Because the latter doesn't work for me.

At the moment, one can only see the driving instructions in a text view, not while actually using navigation. But since the driving instructions are there in text format, it would be fairly simple to add voice files to Ovi Maps on the N900 for navigation.

--
Bent Laursen
jcompagner
Forum Elder
Forum Elder

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
0 in 0 posts

Phone: P800, 9300, E90

PostPosted: Tuesday, 19.Jan.2010 12:09    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

geozec wrote:
That's a fair point jcompagner. Then again I might buy once a 100e device with all of Europe on it, put it in my car and be good rather than pay 60€ per year.
Ok, if you use it a lot it may be worth the money, I use it maybe twice a month.

yeah the cheapest are around 100 euro for west Europa.
But do take into account that you don't get updated maps and poi's

And if you would go outside of Europa you cant use it at all (or have to buy maps for it if it is possible for that device)

All in all i think around 80 euro's a year for Europa navigation and constantly updated world maps is a nice thing to have. And if i am then outside of Europa for one or a few weeks and i can buy then for that period navigation in that area that a nice bonus.
Rachol
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
0 in 0 posts

Phone: n95, n900

PostPosted: Tuesday, 19.Jan.2010 13:58    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Well..., I am not waiting for Ovi maps so much, I would rather have sygic mobile navigation software.

They have promised long time ago to make this available for n900. First it was announced, that it will be ready before the end of last year, but it wasn't there yet. Then I have read something, that it might come in the middle of this month, but again it is not there.

I just hope they will finally succeed to make it work on maemo and then I will pay up to 100 Euro to have it on my device.
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1098 in 699 posts
Thanks given: 286

Phone: Jolla, BB Z10, BB Passport, N950, N900, N8, Nexus 4 (Ubuntu Touch), Lumia 920

PostPosted: Tuesday, 19.Jan.2010 16:29    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

If the weak GPS signal in a place like NY is something to be worried about is another question- the N900 GPS chip should be very sensitive, at least that's what I gathered so far.

I don't have any problems with N900's GPS sensitivity. It just works as expected. Even indoors, with roller blinds down, it finds signal in less than a minute. Outdoors it usually takes like 15-20 seconds or so.
sbc302
My first post!
My first post!

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
0 in 0 posts

Phone: N900

PostPosted: Thursday, 21.Jan.2010 10:47    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

copy paste from engadget: http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/21/nokia-offering-free-turn-by-turn-na vigation-on-smartphones-globa/

Nokia offering free turn-by-turn navigation on smartphones globally
By Thomas Ricker posted Jan 21st 2010 at 2:52AM
Breaking News
Man, you thought Garmin and TomTom were in trouble when Google announced its free Navigation service... wait until investors hear Nokia's news. Reuters is reporting that Nokia will offer free navigation on its smartphones. However, instead of just the US (the current Google limitation sans hacking), Nokia will be demonstrating its reach by offering free turn-by-turn directions in 74 countries in 46 languages -- a move that should cover 20 million smartphones globally with Ovi Maps available in over 180 countries. Damn.

Update: The original San Francisco Chronicle report has been pulled but Google cache caught a bit more saying that Nokia's navigation service is "capable of operating completely offline" unlike Google Navigation which requires data connectivity.
BentL

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
483 in 355 posts

PostPosted: Thursday, 21.Jan.2010 12:02    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Nokia has announced a new version of Ovi Maps, in which navigation will be free, see press release. Excerpt:
    Nokia makes walk and drive navigation free on its smartphones, doubling size of mobile navigation market
    Espoo, Finland - Nokia has today announced plans to release a new version of Ovi Maps for its smartphones that includes high-end walk and drive navigation at no extra cost, available for download at www.nokia.com/maps. This move has the potential to nearly double the size of the current mobile navigation market. The new version of Ovi Maps includes high-end car and pedestrian navigation features, such as turn-by-turn voice guidance for 74 countries, in 46 languages, and traffic information for more than 10 countries, as well as detailed maps for more than 180 countries.

"Why have multiple devices that work that work in only one country or region? Put it all together, make it free, make it global and you almost double the potential size of themobile navigation market ," explained Anssi Vanjoki, Executive Vice President, Nokia. "Nokia is the only company with a mobile navigation service for bothdrivers and pedestrians that works across the world. Unlike the legacy carnavigation manufacturers, we don't make you buy maps for different countries orregions even if you're only visiting for a few days. We offer both navigationand maps free of charge, with all the high-end functionality and features that people now expect."

"The large-scale availability of free-of-charge mobile phone navigation offerings using high-quality map data will be a game changer for the navigation industry," said Thilo Koslowski, Vice President Automotive and Vehicle ICT at Gartner. "Such offerings will accelerate mass market adoption for navigation solutions andshift innovation focus to location-based services that go beyond traditional routing benefits."

For Nokia, removing the costs associated with navigation for drivers and pedestrians allows the company to quickly activate a massive user base to which it can offer new location features, content and services. This is part of Nokia's strategy to lead themarket in mobile maps, navigation and location-based services. The move is also in line with Nokia's vision that the next wave of growth will be centered onthe location-aware, social internet -- as the 'where' people are doing things becomes as important as the 'what' they are doing.

According to research firm Canalys, the number of people worldwide using GPS navigation on their mobile phones was approximately 27 million at the end of 2009. With this announcement Nokia potentially grows the size of this installed user base toabout 50 million by enabling smartphone owners, with compatible devices and devices that will be made compatible shortly to activate free drive and walk navigation through a simple download of the new Ovi Maps. Nokia will further grow this base as it quickly adds more smartphones to the compatible devices list. Canalys also estimated in 2009 that the installed base of smartphones with integrated GPS was 163 million units worldwide, of which Nokia accounted formore than half (51%) having shipped cumulatively 83 million GPSdevices.

"This is a game changing move. By leveraging our NAVTEQ acquisition, and our context sensitiveservice offering, we can now put a complete navigation system in the palm of your hand, wherever in the world you are, whenever you need it - and at no extra cost," continued Anssi Vanjoki. "By adding cameras at no extra cost to our phones we quickly became the biggest camera manufacturer in the world. The aim of the new Ovi Maps is to enable us to do the same for navigation."

By removing the added costs for consumers Nokia expects to fuel the take-up of mobile maps and navigation providing its ecosystem of partners with clear business opportunities:

For operators:
    Nokia believes it will enable them to offer their customers a complete car and personal navigation package as well as encourage the take-up of data plans. An additional benefit for operators is that Ovi Maps uses a unique hybrid technology that is optimized for use on a mobile network. By using advanced vector graphics, plusan intelligent combination of pre-loaded and online maps, the new version of Ovi Maps uses a fraction of the bandwidth of the bulky bitmap technology usedby most mobile map providers.

For 3rd party application developers:
    Making navigation on amobile as familiar as sending a text or taking a picture presents a huge opportunity as the customer base for additional location-based applications expands. Via the Ovi for Developers Beta Program, Nokia has given selected developers and publishers a preview of the Ovi APIs and SDK - Beta (software development kit) which will allow them to build such applications. These will then be made available through Ovi Store by Nokia.

Ovi Maps is immediately available for download for 10 Nokia handsets, including the popular Nokia N97 mini, Nokia 5800 XpressMusic and Nokia E72, with more Nokia smartphones expected to be added in the coming weeks. In the meantime, current owners ofNokia smartphones that are compatible with the new Ovi Maps can download itfree of charge from www.nokia.com/maps.

From March 2010, new Nokia GPS-enabled smartphones will include the new version of Ovi Maps, pre-loaded with local country map data, with high-end walk and drive navigation and access to Lonely Planet and Michelin travel guides at no extra cost.

Ovi Maps covers more than 180 countries with car and pedestrian navigation for 74 countries in 46 languages and 6000 3D landmarks for 200 cities around the world. Lonely Planet and Michelin guides have information on more than 1,000 destinations globally.
--
Bent Laursen
Rob1n
Site supporter
Site supporter

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
5 in 5 posts
Thanks given: 29

Phone: E90, N800, N900

PostPosted: Thursday, 21.Jan.2010 12:14    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

They've also announced that bringing it out for the N900 is not currently on the plans - they're focusing on the next generation maemo devices, but may eventually bring out a maemo 5 version.
stubble
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
0 in 0 posts
Thanks given: 1

Phone: 9500, E90 E72. N900

PostPosted: Thursday, 21.Jan.2010 13:05    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

as far as i see its not yet available for n900 yet .. i really dont know why the ovi maps with turn by turn voice navigation is being delayed ?
Fw190
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
4 in 2 posts
Thanks given: 1

Phone: N900

PostPosted: Thursday, 21.Jan.2010 14:35    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Rob1n wrote:
They've also announced that bringing it out for the N900 is not currently on the plans - they're focusing on the next generation maemo devices, but may eventually bring out a maemo 5 version.

I think that if this really is true I'm going to sell my N900 and buy something else. This would mean that they don't really care for us and the N900 anymore.

Last edited by Fw190 on Thursday, 21.Jan.2010 17:36; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> Maemo 5 Fremantle All times are GMT + 2 Hours

Go to page
1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic