MEEGO  SECTION
-My-MeeGo.com-
SOFTWARE STORECONTACT

My-Symbian.com Forums

My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo
Symbian & Linux based Communicator and Smartphone Info Center
The Oldest Symbian Community Website - Since 1999

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RulesRules   Log inLog in 
Lightweight, simplified version of the forumsMobile version
n900 video file are large - can they be compreesed?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> Maemo 5 Fremantle
View previous topic :: View next topic  
paddycochrane
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
0 in 0 posts
Thanks given: 0

Phone: P910i, N900

PostPosted: Tuesday, 02.Mar.2010 02:54    Post subject: n900 video file are large - can they be compreesed?   Reply with quote   

hi all,

i have to admit that i've never really been particularly fond of video cameras on mobile phones as i felt the quality of video produced was never really worth the efforts. anyway, last week i was only holiday with all my neices and nephews and i figureded this would be the best time to test out the n900's video capabilities.

i have to say that i'm really impresseby the quality of video prodcued by the n900's camera, even in poor light, they are are really remarkable!!

Very excited by the quality of videos, i imediately wanted to share a few clips with other family members both present and not. however i was shocked to find out that only a 2 minute video clip is a huge 50mb!! there was not way i could upload a flie this size and even transfering it to a pc was difficult!!

so my question is whether there is a way to compress these large files into somthing more manageable. somthing that can be easily and quickly upladed to either facebook or flickr. there is no way that i could upload a 50mb video file. it would take for ever and use up all my available bandwidth and storage allocation.

many thanks for any tips and recomendations,

cheers

paddy c.
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1096 in 698 posts
Thanks given: 286

Phone: Jolla, BB Z10, BB Passport, N950, N900, N8, Nexus 4 (Ubuntu Touch), Lumia 920

PostPosted: Tuesday, 02.Mar.2010 16:54    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

a 2 minute video clip is a huge 50mb!!

Well, that's probably why you were impressed with the quality. If they used a stronger compression the results would be much worse... The N900 records videos with WVGA resolution so they have to take some space...

The N900 does not have lower bitrate or lower resolution video recording mode, so it'll always record video clips of this size. The only way to shrink them is to re-encode them on the PC using one of the available video encoders/converters.

Or, instead of Facebook or Flickr, you can upload your videos to YouTube (and mark them as private so that they don't show up in searches and only selected people can have access to them). YouTube will re-encode/convert your videos automatically. The only restriction is that a video has to be shorter than 10 minutes.
paddycochrane
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
0 in 0 posts

Phone: P910i, N900

PostPosted: Wednesday, 03.Mar.2010 01:19    Post subject: can video be uploaded to youtube from the n900   Reply with quote   

thanks michel, as always very helpful and informative.

with regards to youtube, can i upload a video file from my n900 or do i need to upload it from a pc/mac? is there a special uploader software that compresses the file before uploading?

the gprs connection here in lebanon is pretty awful, a 50mb file would take for ever to upload over gprs. even the fastest broadband adsl connection is only 1mb/s!!

do you think it is likely that someone will develope a n900 app that can compress a video file so it is easier to upload.

i seem to remember noticing when uploading a photo to either facebook or flickr there is an option to reduce the file size to small, medium or large. i imagine that it is much easier to compress a photo than a video? is this true?

cheers,

paddy
dannycamps
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
86 in 57 posts
Thanks given: 9

Phone: Nokia 9000i, Nokia 9290, Nokia 9500, Nokia E90, Nokia N900, Nokia E7, Nokia Lumia 920, Nokia Lumia 1520

PostPosted: Wednesday, 03.Mar.2010 01:25    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

I seem to recall there being talk of VLC being ported to the N900 which can compress video but I am not certain on that.
lanbrown
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
0 in 0 posts

Phone: E90, E72, E61, 6682, 3660

PostPosted: Wednesday, 03.Mar.2010 05:04    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Video compression is quite processor intensive. It will kill the battery and take a longtime.
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1096 in 698 posts
Thanks given: 286

Phone: Jolla, BB Z10, BB Passport, N950, N900, N8, Nexus 4 (Ubuntu Touch), Lumia 920

PostPosted: Wednesday, 03.Mar.2010 08:05    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

with regards to youtube, can i upload a video file from my n900 or do i need to upload it from a pc/mac? is there a special uploader software that compresses the file before uploading?

Thanks to N900's powerful web browser, you can upload videos to YouTube straight from the N900. Considering their size, it's advisable to do it over WiFi rather than mobile connection, though (unless you have an unlimited data plan and fast 3G/3.5G connection).

Quote:

is there a special uploader software that compresses the file before uploading?

No. YouTube re-compresses/recodes videos at their end, after uploading.

Quote:

the gprs connection here in lebanon is pretty awful, a 50mb file would take for ever to upload over gprs. even the fastest broadband adsl connection is only 1mb/s!!

So, as I wrote above, you'll have to either use a WiFi connection or transfer your videos to PC first and upload them to youtube from there.

Quote:

do you think it is likely that someone will develope a n900 app that can compress a video file so it is easier to upload.

Video compression/encoding is a processor-heavy task. It's probably faster to send your videos to PC and convert them there rather than doing it on the N900 where it would take many times longer...

Besides, as I wrote, recoding/recompressing a video to get smaller size would considerably affect its quality as it's already compressed by the N900 quite strongly. And then the video would be converted/recompressed once again by YouTube. The resulting video, after two conversions, would be of much worse quality than the original one...

50 MB in case of a 2 minute video in WVGA resolution and about 25 fps actually isn't that much and I'm afraid that there's little you can do to shrink its size without noticeably compromising its quality or reducing its resolution. 50 MB / 2 minutes = 25 MB per minute, i.e. about 400 kB per second. I seriously doubt that there's any considerable margin left to further compress the videos without seriously crippling the quality and getting a blurred, blocky, awful image.

To compare, my Canon 7D dSLR camera records videos in VGA (i.e. lower than N900's WVGA) resolution at 165 MB per minute bitrate, so a corresponding 2 minute video would have over 330 MB, i.e. almost 7 times more than videos recorded on the N900. 720p or 1080p (HD) videos recorded with the Canon 7D have even higher bitrate of over 330 MB per minute (i.e. 660 MB in case of a 2 minute video clip). This shows that the N900 actually compresses videos quite strongly and their sizes are actually quite small for today's standards...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> Maemo 5 Fremantle All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic