MEEGO  SECTION
-My-MeeGo.com-
SOFTWARE STORECONTACT

My-Symbian.com Forums

My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo
Symbian & Linux based Communicator and Smartphone Info Center
The Oldest Symbian Community Website - Since 1999

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RulesRules   Log inLog in 
Lightweight, simplified version of the forumsMobile version
N900 vs. Android

Go to page  
1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> Maemo 5 Fremantle
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ceroberts75
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
79 in 45 posts
Thanks given: 40

Phone: n9, n900, e90, 5800, e71-1, 9500, 7710, 2660

PostPosted: Thursday, 20.May.2010 09:35    Post subject: N900 vs. Android   Reply with quote   

ok...have at it!

maemo vs. android
kinggo
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Thanks received:
6 in 5 posts
Thanks given: 7

Phone: N900, htc Hero, SE P990, SE P900

PostPosted: Thursday, 20.May.2010 21:56    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

If U ask me, pretty much the same as vs. iPhone.
I think that any comparison between maemo and others is pretty much pointless. Apart from the fact that all can do some basic things that makes them mobile phones everything else is different. Even the way they do those basic things.

I retired my P990 two days ago and N900 is replacement. I'm using linux desktop for over 2 years now so this seems somehow logical move but time will tell. So far I like it. I also have htc Hero but I didn't choose Desire over N900.
Hintry
Site supporter
Site supporter

Currently banned

Thanks received:
6 in 5 posts
Thanks given: 15

Phone: iP4, iPad, HTC HD2, E90, 9500, 9210, 9110

PostPosted: Thursday, 20.May.2010 22:52    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Android 2.2 (Froyo), looking good...

http://feeds.gawker.com/~r/gizmodo/full/~3/zByZIKskfXw/what-is-froyo

I definitely admire Google's pace of innovation.
Yorky
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
2 in 2 posts
Thanks given: 1

Phone: SE W950i, P1i, N900

PostPosted: Thursday, 20.May.2010 23:33    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

I got an Android phone 2 days ago free on contract. So far the experience has been a big surprise. After all the hype, I was expecting far more polish.
I found the UI annoying, unintuitive, and difficult to get to apps I wanted. How difficult a software only keyboard is (granted this is not an Android limitation, but the vast majority of phones are sans keyboard).
The integration with Google services is nice, but rather frightening. Sign your privacy away.
I found that I ended up signing into facebook using my N900 though. This is the thing that iPhone and Android users overlook. They can crow about (limited usefulness) widgets, apps etc but the N900 user does NOT NEED THEM. They have a FULL browser that ends up being FAR more useful than a widget, and instead of having 50 apps that act as a front-end to a web page, we can just go to the page.
I must admit I am puzzled by the buzz over Android. It felt like a dumb UI, almost no customisation, few options. I look at Maemo with fresh eyes - it has its faults (but I don't use MMS, never needed voice dialling or USSD codes, so aren't affected by these shortcomings), but I LOVE its strengths. Open source, great community, USEFUL apps, full browser (that repaces the need of so many other apps), xvid support, x-terminal, a nice UI that is actually very underrated.

I'll continue to play with Android but so far it's a long way from stealing my heart, and a million miles off making me swith from Maemo.
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1096 in 698 posts
Thanks given: 286

Phone: Jolla, BB Z10, BB Passport, N950, N900, N8, Nexus 4 (Ubuntu Touch), Lumia 920

PostPosted: Friday, 21.May.2010 01:35    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

The integration with Google services is nice, but rather frightening. Sign your privacy away.

That's the biggest repellent for me.

Quote:

it has its faults (but I don't use MMS, never needed voice dialling or USSD codes

The community developed MMS app works quite OK and there's also a USSD widget that somehow does its job. So it's not that bad.

The PR1.2 firmware update will bring native USSD support.
dannycamps
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
86 in 57 posts
Thanks given: 9

Phone: Nokia 9000i, Nokia 9290, Nokia 9500, Nokia E90, Nokia N900, Nokia E7, Nokia Lumia 920, Nokia Lumia 1520

PostPosted: Friday, 21.May.2010 02:32    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

The photo gallery in Android 2.1 is gorgeous. Probably the best implementation of a gallery I have ever seen. Coupled with the fact that is shows photos stored locally on the device as well as Facebook, Twitter, Flickr, etc... as if they all are from a single source.

My parents who are both Verizon customers have Droid phones so I get to play with them frequently.

My father has the Motorola Droid (which was at version 2.0.1 before I upgraded it to 2.1). The 2.0.1 build was strange because it didn't support multitouch even though the device screen is capacitive. The 2.1 build rectified that. Hardware keyboard is meh - keys are flat and stiff - nowhere near as good as the N900 but it does have a (albeit poorly designed) 4-way rocker.

My mom has the HTC Droid Eris. No hardware keyboard on this one and the on-screen virtual keyboard made me want to literally throw the thing against a wall - just awful.

The Droid UI in general just doesn't feel as fluid as Maemo. The scrolling is not kinetic (i.e. you take your finger off and it just stops) in the menus. The app menu itself seems out of place and some items could have been better thought out (i.e. press and hold the home button to bring up the task switcher) to be more intuitive.

---

Quote:

I definitely admire Google's pace of innovation.

There is a reason why Google is consistently rated the #1 place to work in the US. Their employees are empowered without restrictions to be innovative and creative and it shows in their products.
zlucoblij
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
0 in 0 posts
Thanks given: 0

Phone: N900, P990i, Treo 650, Nokia 7650

PostPosted: Friday, 21.May.2010 10:44    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Sign up for Google? No way I'm gonna support the Big Brother any more. Scares me to hell as well.

And what's up with loosing the warranty if you unlock superuser?? Is that true or just a legend? Why have linux without root? (ok, that's an overstatement, but you know what I mean.)
I can see why Nokia scratches you warranty if you apply custom kernel and boost the speed of the processor by 50%, but simple root unlock? man...

I kinda like Motorola Droid though, with 2.1 it could be a cool device. Anyone has more details on comparison n900 to Droid??
dannycamps
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
86 in 57 posts
Thanks given: 9

Phone: Nokia 9000i, Nokia 9290, Nokia 9500, Nokia E90, Nokia N900, Nokia E7, Nokia Lumia 920, Nokia Lumia 1520

PostPosted: Friday, 21.May.2010 13:31    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

And what's up with loosing the warranty if you unlock superuser?? Is that true or just a legend? Why have linux without root? (ok, that's an overstatement, but you know what I mean.)

Both Google and Apple warranties are voided if you do anything to your phone requiring root access. In addition, in the US, Apple is trying to lobby so jailbreaking would be punishable by law.
BentL

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
482 in 354 posts
Thanks given: 114

Phone: N9, N900, E90, 9300i, 9300, 9210

PostPosted: Friday, 21.May.2010 14:21    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Yorky wrote:
I found that I ended up signing into facebook using my N900 though.

You also sign away your privacy by using Facebook, see this Wall Street Journal article:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704513104575256701215465 596.html

--
Bent Laursen
zlucoblij
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
0 in 0 posts

PostPosted: Friday, 21.May.2010 17:42    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

dannycamps wrote:
[...]
In addition, in the US, Apple is trying to lobby so jailbreaking would be punishable by law.

That's outrageous if you ask me...
And clearly points for N900!!

And about FB, sure, I think everybody knows now. It's scary, no doubt about it, but still haven't made me delete the account Smile All the spam spreading lately might though. But that's way OT, sorry.
ceroberts75
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
79 in 45 posts
Thanks given: 40

Phone: n9, n900, e90, 5800, e71-1, 9500, 7710, 2660

PostPosted: Friday, 21.May.2010 18:16    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

dannycamps wrote:
There is a reason why Google is consistently rated the #1 place to work in the US. Their employees are empowered without restrictions to be innovative and creative and it shows in their products.

thats a funny comment.

living in this area, where i know quite a few people that work there..and most are reletively excited about it. they boast about eating, sleeping, working when they want (though they are always there), etc....

and then all of my polish and lithiuania friends are very adimate about steering clear of thier "just like communisim" tactics without the bottle of vodka!

lmao.
Yorky
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
2 in 2 posts
Thanks given: 1

Phone: SE W950i, P1i, N900

PostPosted: Saturday, 22.May.2010 00:10    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

BentL wrote:
[...]

You also sign away your privacy by using Facebook, see this Wall Street Journal article:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704513104575256701215465 596.html

--
Bent Laursen

Yes I realise there are privacy problems, so I only give very limited data. It's used to keep access to my daughter whilst I am away from home, and I only have her as my friend.

The fact is the moment you open the internet you have to give up some privacy.
Boiling Ice
Forum Elder
Forum Elder

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
2 in 2 posts

Phone: iPhone 4, Nexus One, BlackBerry 9900, N900

PostPosted: Sunday, 23.May.2010 11:39    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Just few months between Android 2.1 and 2.2 release and the changes are amazing... I will cover few of them:
1) Exchange ActiveSync: It's almost perfect now. Calendar syncs perfectly. Email receives calendar invitations and can accept/deny it. Via Email, I can type names and it will search my contacts and Exchange address book.
I'm trying the "Force PIN/Password" on the device which still can't figure it out.

2) Browser: Flash is great, really great and smooth, yet some flash pages lags, but it's the same as the N900. But overall the browser experience is good.

3) After updating my ROM, Nexus one automatically redownloaded all my apps and installed without doing anything... wow

4) Tethering is built-in and working without issues...

There are more stuff in the new release, but I just put some samples as I will be comparing it to Nokia's new release -1.2 or MeeGo-. Nokia has no excuse not to release a version that can compete with the other OSs in the market.
zlucoblij
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
0 in 0 posts

PostPosted: Sunday, 23.May.2010 11:51    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Just curious, is there Opera Mobile available for Android and if so, which version?
Hintry
Site supporter
Site supporter

Currently banned

Thanks received:
6 in 5 posts
Thanks given: 15

Phone: iP4, iPad, HTC HD2, E90, 9500, 9210, 9110

PostPosted: Sunday, 23.May.2010 12:13    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Yorky wrote:
[...]

Yes I realise there are privacy problems, so I only give very limited data. It's used to keep access to my daughter whilst I am away from home, and I only have her as my friend.

The fact is the moment you open the internet you have to give up some privacy.

It's a catch 22 for Google/FB/etc. They may store your personal data, but if they abuse it or leak it, the subsequent public outrage would create irreparable damage to their businesses. It would be commercial suicide.

I like what George Clooney had to say about FB: "I would rather have a rectal examination on live TV by a fellow with cold hands than have a Facebook page."

I do see some merit in FB for staying in touch with close friends and family, but to organise your entire social/love life around it is quite tacky. I think it makes people common and uninteresting. Suppose I'm a snob - but I like I a bit of mystery.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> Maemo 5 Fremantle All times are GMT + 2 Hours

Go to page  
1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 1 of 13

Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic