MEEGO  SECTION
-My-MeeGo-
SOFTWARE STORECONTACT

My-Symbian.com Forums

My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo
Symbian & Linux based Communicator and Smartphone Info Center
The Oldest Symbian Community Website - Since 1999

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RulesRules   Log inLog in 
Lightweight, simplified version of the forumsMobile version
Update lost part of my Messages

Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> Maemo 5 Fremantle
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sukhi101
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
0 in 0 posts
Thanks given: 0

Phone: n900

PostPosted: Sunday, 30.May.2010 18:59    Post subject: Update lost part of my Messages   Reply with quote   

Hiya,

I'm not too sure if you are able to help me with a MAJOR problem with my N900!

Basically, on friday I had a blinking update maemo sign on my N900. I clicked to update as I normally do. The update was 100% successful (Before this, my last update was on 20th April 2010).

As the phone re-booted itself I checked my messages and found that all my new messages have vanished from my Conversations & recently added contacts between 2nd April - 28th May !!! ;0(

I contacted Nokia and they said there is a way to retrieve these but when I took it to a Nokia Centre (in Carphone Warehouse) they said they will need to reboot the whole thing and everything will be deleted!

My Backup reads as follows:

Backup4 29/05/10 This is backup Carphone Warehouse tried (but took me back to settings as Backup 2)

Backup3 28/05/10 This is yesterday backup which lost my messages - 4.3MB

Backup2 03/04/10 Previous backup (the stage where my phone is now) - 3.4MB

Backup1 22/03/10

Backup 30/01/10

On the update all four boxes were checked including Communication & Calender. My Calender is still up to date with notes I entered last week! Its only a bunch of messages missing which is really strange! They not deleted...the question is where are they!

Do you think NOKIA Care Centre might be able to retrieve these missing texts? Normally I wouldn't be bothered but

Any help is much much appreciated!

Thank You

Sukhi
BentL

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
483 in 355 posts
Thanks given: 114

Phone: N9, N900, E90, 9300i, 9300, 9210

PostPosted: Monday, 31.May.2010 14:34    Post subject: Re: Update lost part of my Messages   Reply with quote   

Sukhi101 wrote:
As the phone re-booted itself I checked my messages and found that all my new messages have vanished from my Conversations & recently added contacts between 2nd April - 28th May !!! ;0(

Did you restore one of your backups? If so, it looks like you don't have messages included in that backup.

--
Bent Laursen
Sukhi101
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
0 in 0 posts

PostPosted: Monday, 31.May.2010 15:40    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Yea I did. That's why I'm baffled, I most defiantly checked all four boxed which includes Communication & Calender.

Do you think if I give the handset to Nokia they will be able to retrieve these messages? Because the N900 is more of a Computer than a phone. If you give your PC to an engineer - they are able to retrieve files which were deleted.

(This is soooo stressful) Sad
BentL

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
483 in 355 posts
Thanks given: 114

Phone: N9, N900, E90, 9300i, 9300, 9210

PostPosted: Monday, 31.May.2010 15:59    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Sukhi101 wrote:
Do you think if I give the handset to Nokia they will be able to retrieve these messages? Because the N900 is more of a Computer than a phone. If you give your PC to an engineer - they are able to retrieve files which were deleted.

I think it may be possible with the proper software to retrieve deleted files that have not yet been overwritten by other files. Since messages are located on one of the two Linux partitions, one has to install some Linux software. I have not researched this, so I don't know which software one can use for this.

--
Bent Laursen
yprum
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
0 in 0 posts

Phone: N900

PostPosted: Monday, 31.May.2010 17:48    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Before you do anything, it might be that last update was the pr1.2 update, and as it happened to me, it "deleted" all your messages. They're not really gone. You can recover them easily.

Here I found a solution: http://forums.internettablettalk.com/showthread.php?p=689314#post68931 4

Hope that helps
Sukhi101
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
0 in 0 posts

PostPosted: Monday, 31.May.2010 17:52    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Thank you BentL I feel a bit better now!! Hopefully Nokia should be able to assist me with this problem. I don't mind if they take my handset away for a week or so, as long as everything is recovered!!!

And thanx yprum too! I will check that out and try and contact these people individually.

Thank you both for your help....fingers crossed!!
lastninja
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
3 in 3 posts

Phone: Motorola A920 / Motorola A925 / Nokia N900

PostPosted: Tuesday, 08.Jun.2010 14:51    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

sukhi101: yes u should really try yprum's solution - move the "el-v1.db" to another folder/directory, and restore your desired backup.

you will need a filemanager (that can browse system files) to do this, u can try the easy one: cute-explorer, i think its in extras-devel. u will need to activate "show hidden files".

this will lead to that all new SMS's u've retrieved/sent since the update will be lost. but maybe thats better than the other way around.
Rob1n
Site supporter
Site supporter

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
5 in 5 posts
Thanks given: 29

Phone: E90, N800, N900

PostPosted: Tuesday, 08.Jun.2010 17:24    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

lastninja wrote:
you will need a filemanager (that can browse system files) to do this, u can try the easy one: cute-explorer, i think its in extras-devel. u will need to activate "show hidden files".

It's in the main maemo.org catalogue now, so no need to risk extras-devel or -testing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> Maemo 5 Fremantle All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic