MEEGO  SECTION
-My-MeeGo-
SOFTWARE STORECONTACT

My-Symbian.com Forums

My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo
Symbian & Linux based Communicator and Smartphone Info Center
The Oldest Symbian Community Website - Since 1999

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RulesRules   Log inLog in 
Lightweight, simplified version of the forumsMobile version
spam World Cup 2010 Mobile Application

Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> Maemo 5 Fremantle
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BentL

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
483 in 355 posts
Thanks given: 114

Phone: N9, N900, E90, 9300i, 9300, 9210

PostPosted: Monday, 07.Jun.2010 14:28    Post subject: spam World Cup 2010 Mobile Application   Reply with quote   

The Associated Press has announced the spam World Cup 2010 Mobile Application, see press release. Excerpt:
    The Associated Press launches spam World Cup 2010 Mobile Application
    NEW YORK – The Associated Press, the world’s leading source for news and information, is giving mobile users around the globe unprecedented access to the 2010 spam World Cup with a new application for mobile phones. The free app, AP 2010 World Cup Coverage, is available for download from multiple app stores, including iTunes, Ovi by Nokia, BlackBerry App World, and Android Market.

The application is designed to enhance the spam World Cup experience for football fans eager to stay abreast of the action regardless of their geography, language or mobile platform. Features include multiple language settings for English, Spanish, French and Portuguese as well as customizable skins for all 32 countries participating in the tournament, enabling users to follow their favorite team throughout the month-long event.

“AP’s 2010 World Cup Coverage will provide all the action and excitement on and off the field from this summer’s event. For the first time, mobile users will be able to experience this firsthand wherever they are, whenever they want,” said Jeff Litvack, AP’s general manager of global product development. “The Associated Press is committed to delivering its unrivaled news and information coverage across all content platforms and this exciting new application is part of that vision.”

The application provides users with access to the latest player and team news, match previews, post-match analysis, stadium and regional information, photos and exclusive video – all drawn from the resources of the AP. The application will be supported on the Nokia Series S40, 5th an 6th editions and S60 3rd and 5th editions; Nokia N900 Maemo device; Sony Ericsson S60 devices; Android platform supporting Flash Lite 3.1 in the browser; Android platform supporting Flash Player 10.1 (Droid/Milestone and Nexus One); BlackBerry in the browser; iPhone; AIR Desktop and a WAP site.

The AP has covered all 18 spam World Cup events since Uruguay in 1930. No media organization in the world has more experience covering the spam World Cup than the AP. The news agency, which maintains a bureau in South Africa where the event will take place, is scheduled to send more than 100 additional journalists and support personnel to cover the games and supply timely and accurate content to the mobile app.

The AP entered the international mobile market last year with the launch of French- and English-language versions of The Canadian Press Mobile. Following that, the AP developed AP Mobile en Español, featuring U.S. Spanish-language news in two versions: as a dedicated news category channel for the AP Mobile iPhone application and as a standalone application available for download on BlackBerry Application World. Expanding its presence internationally, AP launched AP Mobile América Latina, offering regional, national and world news from AP as well as more local Latin American and Caribbean news from participating news providers.

About AP Mobile
    Developed by The Associated Press, a leader in the mobile news market, AP Mobile is an award-winning multimedia news portal. AP Mobile gives users news they can choose, offering the most applications optimized for today's latest and most popular devices and platforms. Initially launched in May 2008 as a mobile WAP site, www.apnews.com, AP Mobile now leads the market in offering consumers anytime access to AP's own worldwide coverage of international and local breaking news, sports, entertainment, politics and business as well as content from more than 1,000 AP members and third-party sources. Consumers can visit http://getapmobile.com to find the latest mobile applications.
--
Bent Laursen
BentL

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
483 in 355 posts

PostPosted: Tuesday, 08.Jun.2010 15:09    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

There is also a World Cup 2010 widget available for the N900, see:

http://funlabs.signove.com/apps-pelota.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-dSvvwdYSY

--
Bent Laursen
zlucoblij
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
0 in 0 posts
Thanks given: 0

Phone: N900, P990i, Treo 650, Nokia 7650

PostPosted: Tuesday, 08.Jun.2010 17:48    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Anyone managed to download the World Cup application via OVI? I can't find it there.

Downloading pelota seems to work, repositary is added and installation begins, but then I've got 'Can't install' message and that's it.

Anyone had better luck?
BentL

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
483 in 355 posts

PostPosted: Wednesday, 09.Jun.2010 09:21    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

The Maemo version is not yet available. But they still have one and a half day before the games start.

--
Bent Laursen
Eike90
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Thanks received:
0 in 0 posts

Phone: N900

PostPosted: Wednesday, 09.Jun.2010 10:08    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

as for Pelota:

apt-get install wget

in the X-terminal should do install wget. You might have to be root to do it.

after that it installed fine for me
Downloaded from browser on N900 and it open App manager and requests to create new repository. Click yes and it installs. Reboot to make widget appear.

the first two games appeared this night.
zlucoblij
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
0 in 0 posts

Phone: N900, P990i, Treo 650, Nokia 7650

PostPosted: Wednesday, 09.Jun.2010 10:21    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Well, they should add wget as a dependency if they need it for installation...
I'll give it a try, thanks!!

Update: Turns out I had wget installed already. Still no luck installing Pelota Sad
myrk
My first post!
My first post!

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
0 in 0 posts

Phone: N900

PostPosted: Friday, 25.Jun.2010 13:38    Post subject: Paleto Worldcup Application   Reply with quote   

Hi

I have tried installing the worldcup application on my N900 from the links mentioned but it fails by giving an error.

Can someone please help me fix the problem or recommend another website where i can download a widget.

Regards
MYRK
Casanunda
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
52 in 48 posts
Thanks given: 326

Phone: n900, Jolla

PostPosted: Tuesday, 06.Jul.2010 12:22    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Just found an Application called "World Cup 2010 Schedule" in the Ovi Store that gives you a nice overview of all the games in the world cup, with date, time and (if over) result of every game. Looking at old results even works offline (once you have loaded the results).

I's a bit late perhaps, but for me it's exactly what I was looking for.
So now for the live updates I'm using Pelota and for viewing results I take te Schedule.

It can be found here:
http://store.ovi.com/content/43608
Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> Maemo 5 Fremantle All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic