MEEGO  SECTION
-My-MeeGo-
SOFTWARE STORECONTACT

My-Symbian.com Forums

My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo
Symbian & Linux based Communicator and Smartphone Info Center
The Oldest Symbian Community Website - Since 1999

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RulesRules   Log inLog in 
Lightweight, simplified version of the forumsMobile version
Not enough space in app.install memory

Go to page
1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> Maemo 5 Fremantle
View previous topic :: View next topic  
roferofe
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
0 in 0 posts
Thanks given: 0

Phone: n900

PostPosted: Friday, 09.Jul.2010 10:57    Post subject: Not enough space in app.install memory   Reply with quote   

Can anyone tell, how can i free more memory. I have deleted some apps,(is there some other way)memory shows that i have in n900 20GB,in Card 14GB but memo for installable apps only 113.4 MB
BentL

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
483 in 355 posts
Thanks given: 114

Phone: N9, N900, E90, 9300i, 9300, 9210

PostPosted: Friday, 09.Jul.2010 14:41    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

The problem may be you have not enough free memory on rootfs. Try the following command in X-terminal to see all three partitions:
    df -h / /home /home/user/MyDocs
There is a space between the three folders "/", "/home" and "/home/user/MyDocs" in the command.

--
Bent Laursen
roferofe
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
0 in 0 posts

PostPosted: Sunday, 11.Jul.2010 11:22    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

BentL wrote:
The problem may be you have not enough free memory on rootfs. Try the following command in X-terminal to see all three partitions:
    df -h / /home /home/user/MyDocs
There is a space between the three folders "/", "/home" and "/home/user/MyDocs" in the command.

--
Bent Laursen

Is it possible to "clean" that 1.8G
Seems like this:

rootfs 227.9M 142.8M 80.9M 64% /
/dev/mmcblk0p2 2.0G 1.8G 32.6M 98% /hom
/dev/mmcblk0p1 27.0G 6.3G 20.7M 24% /hom
/user/MyDocs

~ $

Rolf
BentL

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
483 in 355 posts
Thanks given: 114

Phone: N9, N900, E90, 9300i, 9300, 9210

PostPosted: Sunday, 11.Jul.2010 15:35    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

That folder is used for applications. How many applications do you have installed? And are any of those really big?

--
Bent Laursen
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1097 in 698 posts
Thanks given: 286

Phone: Jolla, BB Z10, BB Passport, N950, N900, N8, Nexus 4 (Ubuntu Touch), Lumia 920

PostPosted: Sunday, 11.Jul.2010 18:47    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

That 2GB partition is not only where applications get installed (under /opt) but also where all your data & multimedia files go under "My Documents", i.e. music, video clips, videos recorded with the camera, etc.

Use the File Manager to check how many large files you have stored in e.g. Documents, Images, Audio clips, Video clips folders available under the "N900" in the File Manager. You can move them to the Memory card and this way you'll free memory for applications.
Rob1n
Site supporter
Site supporter

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
5 in 5 posts
Thanks given: 29

Phone: E90, N800, N900

PostPosted: Sunday, 11.Jul.2010 21:30    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Michal Jerz wrote:
That 2GB partition is not only where applications get installed (under /opt) but also where all your data & multimedia files go under "My Documents", i.e. music, video clips, videos recorded with the camera, etc.

No, the MyDocs folder is a separate 27G partition.
roferofe
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
0 in 0 posts

PostPosted: Sunday, 11.Jul.2010 21:55    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Michal Jerz wrote:

Use the File Manager to check how many large files you have stored in e.g. Documents, Images, Audio clips, Video clips folders available under the "N900" in the File Manager. You can move them to the Memory card and this way you'll free memory for applications.

Done. I move all my images,video clips etc. To memory card.
Now Nokia900 have 24.6 GB free memory card 11.27 free and still that memory for installable applications have only 136.5 MB available.
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1097 in 698 posts

Phone: Jolla, BB Z10, BB Passport, N950, N900, N8, Nexus 4 (Ubuntu Touch), Lumia 920

PostPosted: Monday, 12.Jul.2010 03:58    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

No, the MyDocs folder is a separate 27G partition.

Of course, silly me. Sorry, I must have been too tired writing that.

roferofe,

You haven't told us how many (and which) applications you have installed. There are some applications that take quite a lot of memory. The biggest of all is Sygic Mobile Maps. With just maps of one region it may take up nearly 1 GB, and even more with several maps installed.

After I installed Sygic Maps + map of Central Europe free space on the 2 GB partition dropped by over 500 MB and now I have about 0,5 GB free...

This space may be also occupied by different kinds of temporary data. For instance, some GPS applications cache maps in their folders stored in that memory.

It's really difficult to help you without knowing which apps you have.
roferofe
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
0 in 0 posts

PostPosted: Monday, 12.Jul.2010 08:11    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Michal Jerz wrote:

Hello and here comes more info of my n900

Catalogues and Distributions:
Nokia Applications_./
Nokia System Software Updates_./
Ovi_./
Maemo org_ fremantle-1.2
Extras_fremantle

Application manager:

Angry Birds _19.5 MB
Angry birds level pack 1 _820 KB
Cellular modem control buttons_288 KB
Facebook desktop Widget_264 KB
Facebook Sharing plugin_184 KB
Facebook Widget and photo uploader_52 KB
Feedservice-plugin-fb-common_60 KB
Feedservice2_212 KB
Maemo 5___
Maemo org_9.5 MB
OMWeather_3.8 MB
OMWeather database for Weather.com_3.9 MB
Rootsh_32 KB
Search tool_228 KB
Tweetpi.pe photo.video and audio uploader to twitter_88 KB
Youtube video uploader _92KB

Right now there is 152.3 MB available.

The prolem can be just in sygic mobile maps. I have been trying to install Europe map but its impossible. I just delete all sygic stuff from my n900,

If yuo have time please write that kind of instructions like (step by step beginning from_ go to sygic site and load..) "Sygic maps loading instructions for dummies".

Best regards Roferofe
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1097 in 698 posts

PostPosted: Tuesday, 13.Jul.2010 00:53    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Well, the apps you listed are all quite small and shouldn't be taking even a small fraction of that memory.

I think there must be some kind of file system corruption on your unit. And if so then the only solution that comes to my mind is to REFLASH the device manually, using Flasher software and both the rootfs and eMMC images. This way you'll get a 'factory state' device with all memory free.

Prior to flashing, make a backup using the Backup application and then restore it to get your contacts, messages, settings and apps back...
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1097 in 698 posts

PostPosted: Tuesday, 13.Jul.2010 00:55    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

P.S. Regarding Sygic, you don't have to get it manually from their site. It is available in the Ovi store so simply get it from there. But that's only AFTER you clean up your device as the current size of free memory is too small for it.
roferofe
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
0 in 0 posts

PostPosted: Tuesday, 13.Jul.2010 10:04    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Michal Jerz wrote:
Well, the apps you listed are all quite small and shouldn't be taking even a small fraction of that memory.

I think there must be some kind of file system corruption on your unit. And if so then the only solution that comes to my mind is to REFLASH the device manually, using Flasher software and both the rootfs and eMMC images. This way you'll get a 'factory state' device with all memory free.

Prior to flashing, make a backup using the Backup application and then restore it to get your contacts, messages, settings and apps back...

Okei.

What kind of reflash software. I look for maemo-org pages and there are several of them. I tryed one, but it was "wrong"

The Sygic maps...
Evil or Very Mad
roferofe
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
0 in 0 posts

PostPosted: Tuesday, 13.Jul.2010 17:20    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

A few hours ago,I went to Nokia care office. They said to me that only thing that they can do is run new software to it,but its 20 €. I paid that and after operation there was same/latest software what have already been there.
Only difference was,at massmemory gone tilt or something.
My n900 is now under service some time,maybe 2-3 weeks.
Before I leave the care office,I ask them to set factory settings to phone.
I´ll be back when I get my n900 again.

Roferofe Shocked
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1097 in 698 posts

PostPosted: Tuesday, 13.Jul.2010 23:37    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:
I went to Nokia care office. They said to me that only thing that they can do is run new software to it,but its 20 €. I paid that and after operation there was same/latest software what have already been there.
Only difference was,at massmemory gone tilt or something.
My n900 is now under service some time,maybe 2-3 weeks.

Geez! How could you give your device to such incompetent people!

Quote:
What kind of reflash software. I look for maemo-org pages and there are several of them. I tryed one, but it was "wrong"

You need Maemo Flasher. You can download it (and the firmware files to flash the device) from here:

http://tablets-dev.nokia.com/maemo-dev-env-downloads.php
roferofe
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
0 in 0 posts

PostPosted: Friday, 30.Jul.2010 17:36    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Hello again and first thanks for all tips that you all gave me. Finally n900 is in my hand. Nokia care probably reflash it and now sygic maps works fine.

Thank You Very Happy Roferofe
Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> Maemo 5 Fremantle All times are GMT + 2 Hours

Go to page
1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic