MEEGO  SECTION
-My-MeeGo.com-
SOFTWARE STORECONTACT

My-Symbian.com Forums

My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo
Symbian & Linux based Communicator and Smartphone Info Center
The Oldest Symbian Community Website - Since 1999

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RulesRules   Log inLog in 
Lightweight, simplified version of the forumsMobile version
how to capture the deb file from OVI store

Go to page
1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> Maemo 5 Fremantle
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ceroberts75
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
79 in 45 posts
Thanks given: 40

Phone: n9, n900, e90, 5800, e71-1, 9500, 7710, 2660

PostPosted: Saturday, 04.Sep.2010 18:00    Post subject: how to capture the deb file from OVI store   Reply with quote   

can anyone teach me how to keep a deb file of the products we purchase from the OVI store?

i cannot figure out how to just have the deb.

i ran into an issue with ovi wanting me to re-purchase the products i already paid for becuase it said that i have reached my download limit.

that doesnt seem right being that somethimes you have to flash your device, and it forces you to redownload from the site and not allow you when using the repos....and then i had to have my device replaced by nokia.

any help is appreciated.

thank you.
Dr. Nitun
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
0 in 0 posts
Thanks given: 0

Phone: Nokia Lumia 900, iPhone 4s, Blackberry Torch (ugh), Nokia N900, Nokia E71, Nokia N96, Nokia E90, Sony Ericsson P990i, Nokia 9300i, and Nokia 9300

PostPosted: Sunday, 05.Sep.2010 14:01    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Ceroberts7t5,

Have you tried to ask Nokia about this? I thought with Ovi, you can redownload purchased content over...and over...and over (unlimited).
sail0r
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
0 in 0 posts

Phone: e90

PostPosted: Sunday, 05.Sep.2010 21:24    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Hello,

There is a limit of downloads. I bought few days ago one, but I have some download problem and now I have an information about limit of downloads reached.
I think that's completely unfair! It's mine, so I should be able to download it as many times as I like to.

BR,
Lukasz
gymbo
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Thanks received:
7 in 5 posts
Thanks given: 495

Phone: Nokia 9500 (two, one still in use as GPS-navigator), E90 (two, one as spare music player! and the other wasn't repaired and "changed" to->) and E7

PostPosted: Monday, 06.Sep.2010 00:04    Post subject: Re: how to capture the deb file from OVI store   Reply with quote   

ceroberts75 wrote:
can anyone teach me how to keep a deb file of the products we purchase from the OVI store?

i cannot figure out how to just have the deb.

i ran into an issue with ovi wanting me to re-purchase the products i already paid for becuase it said that i have reached my download limit.

that doesnt seem right being that somethimes you have to flash your device, and it forces you to redownload from the site and not allow you when using the repos....and then i had to have my device replaced by nokia.

any help is appreciated.

thank you.

Doesn't that mean you have got a new IMEI? I would think the purchase is locked to the IMEI, which of course will get you trouble when trying to re-download?!?

If they actually have a download limit that would be really stupid Kopf tut weh
ceroberts75
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
79 in 45 posts

PostPosted: Monday, 06.Sep.2010 19:59    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

havent had any issue with re-dl all the others.

just angry birds pack 1. funny part is, that i have no issues with the angry birds 2 and 3 and they were all purchased the same time! Very Happy

i figured out how to get the deb files.

and for those that have not installed filebox, do so, it makes it faster and easier to see what is happening...though i am not able to copy the deb to another folder..so i still use MC>

first go to:

edit /home/user/.osso/hildon-application-manager

and change the "1" to a "0" (zero) for the "clean after install ="

after clicking on download, and after the app manager FINALY gets to asking to install it, open the filebox and go to

/var/tmp

and the deb file is in there.

then i open mc, copy the file to my folder i created on the MyDocs. now it is backed up.

then i install or cancel.

i still need the angry birds pack 1...which i already paid for...if anyone wants to pm me! Wink
kolos
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
0 in 0 posts
Thanks given: 1

Phone: N900

PostPosted: Thursday, 09.Sep.2010 22:13    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

ceroberts75 wrote:

first go to:

edit /home/user/.osso/hildon-application-manager

and change the "1" to a "0" (zero) for the "clean after install ="

I checked this location on my phone and under ".osso" directory there is no file or directory with name "hildon-application-manager", nor something with similar name. I'm using latest firmware and emmc content. Rolling Eyes
ceroberts75
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
79 in 45 posts

PostPosted: Friday, 10.Sep.2010 00:49    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

its there.

be sure you are in the

/home/user/.osso/ file.

be sure you are using midnight commander. it makes it easier.

couldvbb
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
0 in 0 posts

Phone: n900

PostPosted: Friday, 10.Sep.2010 06:15    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

ovi deb
/home/user/MyDocs/.apt-archive-cache

.install
/var/tmp
kolos
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
0 in 0 posts

PostPosted: Friday, 10.Sep.2010 07:57    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

ceroberts75 wrote:
its there.

be sure you are in the

/home/user/.osso/ file.

be sure you are using midnight commander. it makes it easier.

Quoted picture

Quoted picture

Not in my case. Rolling Eyes

I tried to install Ovi game Bounce and I can find only .install file.

Under /var/tmp/ is only .install file...

and under /home/user/MyDocs/.apt-archive-cache/ there is no .deb file.

Rob1n
Site supporter
Site supporter

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
5 in 5 posts
Thanks given: 29

Phone: E90, N800, N900

PostPosted: Friday, 10.Sep.2010 09:45    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Bounce Evolution is free, so it'll be downloaded by apt. At the point your screenshot shows, it's yet to be downloaded though. It's only after you click "Continue" that it actually downloads the .deb file.
kolos
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
0 in 0 posts

PostPosted: Friday, 10.Sep.2010 11:51    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Rob1n wrote:
Bounce Evolution is free, so it'll be downloaded by apt. At the point your screenshot shows, it's yet to be downloaded though. It's only after you click "Continue" that it actually downloads the .deb file.

I know it's free. If I select "Continue" that will install application, but how can I also get its .deb file? If I understand right .deb file would be temporarily stored somewhere on the phone and after installation completes the file is automatically deleted?

EDIT: Or even how can I get .deb file of free OVI application without installing it?
Rob1n
Site supporter
Site supporter

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
5 in 5 posts
Thanks given: 29

Phone: E90, N800, N900

PostPosted: Friday, 10.Sep.2010 12:17    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

kolos wrote:
I know it's free. If I select "Continue" that will install application, but how can I also get its .deb file? If I understand right .deb file would be temporarily stored somewhere on the phone and after installation completes the file is automatically deleted?

It'll be temporarily downloaded to /home.user/MyDocs/.apt-archive-cache - you'll need to copy it out after it's finished downloading but before it's finished installing. Pretty much impossible for small apps, but you may be okay with larger ones. Unfortunately the install process also uses pretty much 100% CPU, so getting anything else done at the same time is always going to be tricky.

kolos wrote:
EDIT: Or even how can I get .deb file of free OVI application without installing it?

It'll be tricky on the N900 - you'd need to get hold of a version of apt which allows download from Ovi (either from the earlier firmwares or build your own). You may also be able to do it on a debian-based desktop by adding the Ovi repository there. In either case, an "apt-get -d install" will just download the .deb file.

Anyway, these are slightly less important as you can reinstall them as often as you want anyway (unless they get removed from Ovi). It's the purchased apps which are more of an issue.
kolos
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
0 in 0 posts

PostPosted: Saturday, 11.Sep.2010 00:31    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Rob1n, thanks for detailed explanation. If I remember correct apt was changed with firmware PR 1.1.1.
I have 1.2 and for me downgrade is not recommended because that would cause the loss of phone function.

When I saw this topic I thought that somebody found a solution for as with PR 1.2, but obviously it didn't happened. So, we need modified apt. Kopf tut weh
ceroberts75
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
79 in 45 posts

PostPosted: Saturday, 11.Sep.2010 03:33    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

worked for me.

try using midnight commander just to be sure....i know you ls'd, but may as well try kit as i posted.

you know what???

try this

sudo gainroot
apt-get install hildon-application-menu

just for kicks.
BentL

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
482 in 354 posts
Thanks given: 114

Phone: N9, N900, E90, 9300i, 9300, 9210

PostPosted: Monday, 22.Nov.2010 18:08    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Another method to capture the installation file from Ovi Store is to rename the URL to the application in question on Ovi Store as described here:

http://mynokiablog.com/2010/11/22/how-to-downloading-sis-files-from-de sktop-web-browser/

The page describes how this works for Symbian .sis files, but I guess it is the same for Maemo .dep files.

--
Bent Laursen
Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> Maemo 5 Fremantle All times are GMT + 2 Hours

Go to page
1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic