MEEGO  SECTION
-My-MeeGo.com-
SOFTWARE STORECONTACT

My-Symbian.com Forums

My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo
Symbian & Linux based Communicator and Smartphone Info Center
The Oldest Symbian Community Website - Since 1999

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RulesRules   Log inLog in 
Lightweight, simplified version of the forumsMobile version
Which phone has a good or similar keyboard as S80 phones?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> Symbian OS Series 80 Communicators
View previous topic :: View next topic  
reivaz
Site supporter
Site supporter

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
4 in 4 posts
Thanks given: 3

Phone: S80

PostPosted: Friday, 15.Oct.2010 00:43    Post subject: Which phone has a good or similar keyboard as S80 phones?   Reply with quote   

I must admit it,

I use everyday my nokia 9500 or 9300i and n900.

n900 is for fun or if I need to browse internet...

but for work i use S80 devices, I switch them when I want, backup, restore and PIN BB change...

I can answer mails ( normally 20-30 per day ) without looking to the keyboard of my 9300 or 9500, just with my 2 thumbs.

I can write them so fast...

I have used BB like Bold 9000 or 9700 ( no comments about the tiny Keyboard )

iPhone...impossible to write mails the way I do with my S80...

Android based ( motorola ) strange feel and easy ( for me ) to make mistakes.

I would like to mantain them 10 years ( my S80 devices ) but in this era where having a mobile phone with more than 2 years is strange I'm feeling like a freak little by little with my S80 Smile

Does someone knows where can I find an actual device with good keyboard??

Regards

The following users say THANKS! for this post: mortenandersen

BentL

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
482 in 354 posts
Thanks given: 113

Phone: N9, N900, E90, 9300i, 9300, 9210

PostPosted: Friday, 15.Oct.2010 08:46    Post subject: Re: Which phone has a good or similar keyboard as S80 phones   Reply with quote   

reivaz wrote:
Does someone knows where can I find an actual device with good keyboard??

Of the upcoming Symbian devices, the recently announced Nokia E7 may be your best bet. The E7 has a keyboard layout with four rows of keys, see the Nokia E7 announced thread. It is still not quite comparable to the S80 devices, though.

--
Bent Laursen
Saint-Just
Site supporter
Site supporter

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
1 in 1 posts
Thanks given: 1

Phone: 9300i, E90

PostPosted: Monday, 18.Oct.2010 14:36    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

The HTC Desire Z could be what you are looking for...

The following users say THANKS! for this post: sharonphilips

Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1090 in 695 posts
Thanks given: 286

Phone: Jolla, BB Z10, BB Passport, N950, N900, N8, Nexus 4 (Ubuntu Touch), Lumia 920

PostPosted: Wednesday, 19.Jan.2011 07:54    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

The upcoming E7 has a nice keyboard. Similar to the one above.
reivaz
Site supporter
Site supporter

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
4 in 4 posts
Thanks given: 3

Phone: S80

PostPosted: Tuesday, 01.Feb.2011 16:50    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

We will look at the E7 but after 1 year with the n900 and its OS I think that I will feel strange with a dumb OS as Symbian is...

After the E90 I prefer staying with my n9500 and n900.

regards...
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1090 in 695 posts

Phone: Jolla, BB Z10, BB Passport, N950, N900, N8, Nexus 4 (Ubuntu Touch), Lumia 920

PostPosted: Tuesday, 01.Feb.2011 18:08    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

We will look at the E7 but after 1 year with the n900 and its OS I think that I will feel strange with a dumb OS as Symbian is...

The E7 has better keyboard than the N900 and also better camera and better screen (size, quality, but obviously NOT resolution).
But when it comes to the operating system, Maemo obviously beats Symbian ^3 hands down. It is a completely different league.

And no matter how hard I try, I just cannot force myself to switch from WVGA to nHD. It feels as if I replaced a full HD TV set with an SD one. I guess it's not a problem for S60 phone users who are used to nHD resolution so they actually get the same, but for N900 or E90 users it's really hard.
gymbo
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Thanks received:
7 in 5 posts
Thanks given: 495

Phone: Nokia 9500 (two, one still in use as GPS-navigator), E90 (two, one as spare music player! and the other wasn't repaired and "changed" to->) and E7

PostPosted: Wednesday, 02.Feb.2011 00:41    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Michal Jerz wrote:
[...]

The E7 has better keyboard than the N900 and also better camera and better screen (size, quality, but obviously NOT resolution).
But when it comes to the operating system, Maemo obviously beats Symbian ^3 hands down. It is a completely different league.

And no matter how hard I try, I just cannot force myself to switch from WVGA to nHD. It feels as if I replaced a full HD TV set with an SD one. I guess it's not a problem for S60 phone users who are used to nHD resolution so they actually get the same, but for N900 or E90 users it's really hard.

That is my main concern as well; the screen resolution. I might be able to live with the absence of micro-SD card slot (but only because of USB OTG as a partial "solution"...), missing numbers row and "non replaceable" battery, but don't really see how I can justify a 20% reduction in horizontal resolution. That would mean 20% less content on the screen, and a lot of sideways scrolling in documents and webpages...

But otherwise the E7 is starting to look tempting! I will at least have to try one out when they become available. The spacing of the keys (and the size!) might give it a really good keyboard...

Edit: I was just browsing the OVI store, and according to them (at least in the Norwegian store) the E90 doesn't have a full keyboard; it's listed under "classic design"!!! Wink Laughing Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1090 in 695 posts

PostPosted: Wednesday, 02.Feb.2011 06:21    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Yes, after I played some more with the keyboard I must say that it is a really good one. It's hard to compare it with E90's keyboard because they are simply different, but E7's keyboard gets closer to Communicator devices than any other Nokia made smartphone.

Regarding the screen, as I wrote, it turn out not to be an issue for users of S60 phones who are used to nHD resulution. But for N900 or E90 owners it is difficult to "downgrade" this way...

As for memory card slot, I think it's possible that it is not there due to lack of space inside of the casing. They really did a great job putting it all with full hardware keyboard into a casing that isn't any thicker than the N8, so it's quite possible that they ran out of space inside...
Hapsis
Site supporter
Site supporter

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
9 in 6 posts
Thanks given: 15

Phone: Nokia E7, N900

PostPosted: Saturday, 19.Feb.2011 19:08    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

I have used Nokia 9300i, twice Nokia E90 and Nokia N900. And many HTC devices with qwerty keyboards like great HTC Universal and newer Desire Z.

Now week with Nokia E7 I'm super happy it's keyboard, screen, dimensions and usability. Keyboard in my opinion is better than E90 for writing. The keys are less hard to press than E90 which was issue for me.

And the screen is great! Nowadays with my eyesight I just don't want to use anything smaller 4". N900 with 3,5" and wvga was terrible to use, cause I had to put it just over my nose Smile. I'm surpised how easy it was to downgrade the resolution, however I can admit wvga would still be better. Maybe 4,5" screen size would be perfect for wvga resolution.

PS. I still have N900 and E90... Particulary N900 has it's advantages over E7. But in primary, everyday use I can use E7 and don't miss N900. I would recommend E7 for previous communicator user.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> Symbian OS Series 80 Communicators All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic