MEEGO  SECTION
-My-MeeGo.com-
SOFTWARE STORECONTACT

My-Symbian.com Forums

My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo
Symbian & Linux based Communicator and Smartphone Info Center
The Oldest Symbian Community Website - Since 1999

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RulesRules   Log inLog in 
Lightweight, simplified version of the forumsMobile version
Who still uses their UIQ3 device?

Go to page
1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> Symbian OS UIQ 3.x
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ajack
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
23 in 10 posts
Thanks given: 22

Phone: P800, P990, P1i, N900, Xperia Pro

PostPosted: Saturday, 06.Nov.2010 18:16    Post subject: Who still uses their UIQ3 device?   Reply with quote   

Curious to know who still uses their UIQ3, which model do you have/use and why haven't you changed?
dmcgrath
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
0 in 0 posts
Thanks given: 1

Phone: Previous: Nokia 5800 XpressMusic, SE P990i, SE P1i, SE M600i, Nokia E72, Current: HTC Touch 7 Pro, Nokia N9

PostPosted: Sunday, 07.Nov.2010 07:36    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

I still regularly use my P990i, and my fiance uses her M600 (white) as her only device.

I use mine when I just need phone and PIM functions, but not internet, as I'm in the US where it only gets GPRS data rates. But the organizer, the HWR, and the keyboard keep me coming back. I also use it whenever I travel outside the country, as I prefer it to my keyboardless 5800, and my P1i has power issues.

She uses her M600 because she loves it. I've tried to get her a new phone, but she refuses to give up her little white love. Part of it might be that I installed the Chinese firmware for her, and she values that, but I really just think she's comfortable with it. 2 years and counting, near as I can tell.

Also, UIQ3 is *still* better than any of the alternatives on the market. Though the hardware leaves something to be desired, the software just blows everything out of the water. Except for the email client. That sucks. But as a whole package, there just isn't a competitor yet, for me. I have hopes for Meego, but we'll see.
goose
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
15 in 10 posts
Thanks given: 29

Phone: P800, P900, P990i, E90

PostPosted: Sunday, 07.Nov.2010 14:46    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

dmcgrath,

yes lets hope that Meego, can give us that feeling like VIQ did, I remmember my P800 and 900 and they were great devices.
parycien
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
0 in 0 posts
Thanks given: 3

Phone: w950i

PostPosted: Sunday, 07.Nov.2010 17:12    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

i still have it... old w950. Basically to play Psarakia, i like the fact it run 90% of n95 and i900 games, etc, its a great device. Hope it get mame someday, but... is fine, +or - 353 installed apps without problems (except the out of memory fixed by the "view as grid" option).
dune_mister
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
0 in 0 posts
Thanks given: 1

Phone: p990i

PostPosted: Monday, 08.Nov.2010 21:44    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

I still use my p990i.All other phones look primitive.xperia x10 looks tempting...though
stvj
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
0 in 0 posts
Thanks given: 0

Phone: sony-ericsson M600i

PostPosted: Tuesday, 16.Nov.2010 12:05    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Still using my M600i but I'm looking for an Android phone now. More screen estate, better email client, current web browser. But I wonder if this will just lock me down in another corner, signed bootloader etc.

Pros for M600i:
* Graffiti
* real Keyboard
* robust

Cons:
* BUGS
* SLOOOOW
* no updates for any programs, so it's no idea to buy more programs
erwin8m
My first post!
My first post!

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
0 in 0 posts

Phone: P1i

PostPosted: Wednesday, 24.Nov.2010 03:29    Post subject: Using P1i for about 3,5 years!   Reply with quote   

I still have a Sony Ericsson P1i and now using it for about 3,5 years!

For about the last 2 years I had very little money, so that's the main reason I haven't bought another phone or PDA yet.

But I also still regret that SE doesn't provide anymore updates for their UIQ phones, it went all quite fast that UIQ couldn't stay or being further developed.
If it's possible, I would defenitely try to change the OS on this phone to whatever other OS!
Or just improve the speed on this device, because it's terribly slow and surfing on the Internet is quite difficult...
So, if someone have ideas or some knowledge about these things, glad to hear from you about it!

And, of course, I'm having more and more often the desire to buy and own a new phone or PDA device!
My goal is a dual-sim phone, and therefore I'm waiting for the Nokia C1-00 or the C2-00 which unfortunately isn't possible to buy yet (in europe) !
And besides that, I'd like to buy a PDA (probably without phone possibilities) with Android OS, so that will be probably an Archos Device...
But that will be soonest about 2 or 3 months, so we'll see if Archos will be my best / real choice...
ajack
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
23 in 10 posts

PostPosted: Wednesday, 08.Dec.2010 15:47    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

I switched to an N900 Maemo 5 device since Sony Ericsson killed off the UIQ platform. It saddens me to see the UIQ platform go as I have been a SE / Symbian / UIQ user and supporter since the P800 came out.

Since I am a linux user and have been using it almost exclusively (only my work laptop has Windoze), switching to a Nokia (gasp!) N900 was a natural thing to do. I still hate Nokia S60 phones, almost all Nokia models actually with the exception of the N900 (IMHO, the only thing that Nokia did right).

It also makes me sad to see the traffic slowdown at this site. I think it was the UIQ users who are the ones to make this site busy and exciting (compared to S60 users, am I right Michal?). UIQ had less software but usually had the "cream of the crop" applications that made Symbian great.

Still stare at my P1 phones (I have three) everyday... But I need more now so they'll stay on my desk for now...
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1096 in 698 posts
Thanks given: 286

Phone: Jolla, BB Z10, BB Passport, N950, N900, N8, Nexus 4 (Ubuntu Touch), Lumia 920

PostPosted: Wednesday, 08.Dec.2010 19:23    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

almost all Nokia models actually with the exception of the N900 (IMHO, the only thing that Nokia did right).

Let's not exaggerate. I think that Nokia also deserves a huge praise for their Series 80 (Communicators) and Series 90 platform, which were the best and the most advanced mobile operating systems of their times.

I'd risk saying that if Nokia revived the Series 80 platform as in the 9210 (anno domini 2001) and just equipped it with today's hardware (processor, RAM, camera, 3G, WiFi, etc.) then I would be more than happy to use it.

Of course, at the same time Nokia deserves a huge KICK IN THE ASS for killing those great platforms and choosing their WORST platform, i.e. Series 60, as the only Symbian platform. This is what made Symbian what it is now.

I think that Nokia also deserves a praise for their Internet Tablets (770, N800, N810) which were actually the first devices of this kind and were really great. And it is them what eventually led us to the N900. It's only a pity that Nokia was never able to provide them with any decent promotion which caused that they always were just niche devices. The N900 never got a decent promotion, either.

To recap, I wouldn't say that the N900 is the only thing Nokia did right. They made right quite a lot of things, but unfortunately then SCR*WED UP with most (all?) of them due to pitiful marketing/promotion, poor support and strategies scaring away most of advanced users (e.g. no upgrades to newer versions of their OSes, killing their most advanced platforms, sometimes even right on the start like with Series 90, etc.).

And their worst decision was to dump the Series 90 (a Hildon based Symbian platform that already in 2004 offered huge, high resolution touch display, intuitive finger-operated touch UI, good multimedia) and instead start developing touch UI from the scratch based on their least advanced (not to say dumbest) Series 60 platform which resulted in losing 4 years of precious time, creating space on the market for the iPhone and Android, and actually not even now getting to where Series 90 was already in 2004.

Let's hope they won't scr*w up the same way with Meego, or it'll be their end.

Quote:
It also makes me sad to see the traffic slowdown at this site. I think it was the UIQ users who are the ones to make this site busy and exciting (compared to S60 users, am I right Michal?).

Well, I'd be a liar if I said that it doesn't make me sad, too.

But I think you're right. This site has always been first of all a place for ADVANCED users, treating their mobile devices as tools rather than toys. Majority of such users (due to lack of professional Symbian devices) have left Symbian long ago and switched to WM or Android.

I hoped that Maemo users would be more active and willing to have some discussions in a more 'intimate' place than extremely crowded (and thus a bit chaotic) talk.maemo.org, but it seems that I was wrong... Apparently TMO is all they need.
pvanbeek
Site supporter
Site supporter

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
2 in 2 posts
Thanks given: 77

Phone: N9 N900 formerly P990i, P800 6600

PostPosted: Friday, 07.Jan.2011 23:34    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

I lost (had stolen?) my P990i about a year ago - which ended a run of nearly 3 years with this model (heavily moded thanks to capswitch!) though I went through three of them in that time.

N900 has touch screen plus hardware keyboard form factor that I won't do without plus best mobile browser, flash 32GB plus expansion port, and completely open - I got to used to being able to do what I like with my P990i and I don't think I can go back to a closed device!

*edit* sorry misread the op - I kept with the P990i for so long because:
1) it had all the functionailty I needed in a mobile device wifi, media player (video and audio), bluetooth A2DP mobile browser, PIM, quickoffice, IMAP idle (mobile email experience still not matched on N900!), half decent camera, java midp, games (thanks to anotherguest for all the ports) RSS - oh and its a phone too!
2) form factor second to none. One handed or two handed operation While you can browse one handed with N900 - little else can be done with one handed operation - browsing with Opera Mini in flip closed on P990 was more comfortable
3) Mods - once the exploit to access the system folders was disovered this provided a new lease of life - like W950 walkman mod and ability to kill system processes allowing more memory to be reclaimed so fewer reboots needed
ajack
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
23 in 10 posts

PostPosted: Sunday, 16.Jan.2011 05:46    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

@Michal:

I didn't exaggerate when I said that the only thing Nokia did right was the N900, but I have to admit that is my honest opinion about Nokia (hey! I put my money where my mouth is!) :p

@pvanbeek:

Give the N900 a go, I am quite sure you'd love it judging from your last post. Very Happy
koto
Site supporter
Site supporter

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
2 in 2 posts
Thanks given: 2

Phone: Nokia N900, Sony Ericsson G900

PostPosted: Wednesday, 19.Jan.2011 08:17    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

My main phone is N900 and UIQ G900 is my second, backup phone. When I use it I can see how good UIQ was, it is still powerfull with many super apps. N900 does not have mobipocket and audible and because I have a lot of e-books and audio books G900 is my seviour.
wooley
My first post!
My first post!

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
0 in 0 posts

Phone: p1i

PostPosted: Saturday, 22.Jan.2011 18:55    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

stiil using my old and trusted p1i.....
still working with many scratxhes,bumps etc..
but working!
2rB
My first post!
My first post!

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
0 in 0 posts

Phone: SE M600

PostPosted: Thursday, 03.Feb.2011 01:44    Post subject: M600i   Reply with quote   

My M600i just died.
Or - it it alive, but it require me to boot up in Flight mode, than switch to phone mode.
Then it seem as if the back-button is pressing itself whenever it want to.
Quite annoying, so guess I will have to go for a new phone now.

The strange thing is that I have loved the phone. Were furious in the start with the way Sony Ericsson handled the firmware upgrade (or lack of so) situation. But apart from the wake up timer the phone have worked for my needs.

May try to fix it myself after I have received a new phone.

BTW: Fun to read the posts in this thread. Wouldn't have expected these phones to live this long with their SW problems.
AnotherGuest
DEVELOPER
DEVELOPER

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
32 in 17 posts

Phone: P910, N-Gage, P990, M600, 6680, N70, N80, U300

PostPosted: Thursday, 10.Feb.2011 10:09    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

On my daily commute I can see a P910i beeing used. Very Happy Looks like the main phone for some also. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> Symbian OS UIQ 3.x All times are GMT + 2 Hours

Go to page
1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic