MEEGO  SECTION
-My-MeeGo.com-
SOFTWARE STORECONTACT

My-Symbian.com Forums

My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo
Symbian & Linux based Communicator and Smartphone Info Center
The Oldest Symbian Community Website - Since 1999

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RulesRules   Log inLog in 
Lightweight, simplified version of the forumsMobile version
Mobile Developer Report, January 2011

Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> Maemo 5 Fremantle
View previous topic :: View next topic  
krischik
Forum Senior
Forum Senior

Thanks received:
11 in 6 posts
Thanks given: 21

Phone: Nexus One, p990i, p900

PostPosted: Tuesday, 25.Jan.2011 21:51    Post subject: Mobile Developer Report, January 2011   Reply with quote   

I just found these two Statistics:

You find the full report here - In the PDF.

I won't comment it - the numbers speak for them self.

The following users say THANKS! for this post: Sera

Sera
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
13 in 10 posts
Thanks given: 32

Phone: Nokia 9210 (x 13), 9210i (x 4), 9110 (x 3 + 1 PROTO), 7710, 6680, 9300 (x 2) and Motorola A925

PostPosted: Tuesday, 25.Jan.2011 22:13    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Significant graphs you have there. I'm going to talk about Symbian in this post but I hope you don't mind as the title is as universal as Mobile Developer Report Cool

So if you ask me, Symbian needs/ would've needed to do some serious work to shake off the black cloud which has been circling around it from the introduction of S60 v3 and its developer-bullying and user-unfriendly security features. Yet I'm not so sure if Symbian will live that long because Nokia fired several hundred Symbian coders a while ago, here in Finland.

Maybe - in the future - it'll evolve to be just a secure basis of industrial devices and applications, and not targeted for consumer markets any more. Just like in Psion's case. We'll just see about that.

The following users say THANKS! for this post: krischik

krischik
Forum Senior
Forum Senior

Thanks received:
11 in 6 posts

PostPosted: Wednesday, 26.Jan.2011 10:15    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Sera wrote:
Significant graphs you have there. I'm going to talk about Symbian in this post

Speaking of Symbian I find it most telling that interest has peaked at March 2010. Incidentally that is exactly when I left Symbian for Android. And also the time when I said: We need Symbian^4 now and not in 6 month.

Well the 6 month are over and all that has happened is that NOKIA has given up the ^3 and ^4 suffixes.

Of course the same is valid for MeGoo. MeGoo too peaked at March 2010 and has been falling ever since.
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1096 in 698 posts
Thanks given: 286

Phone: Jolla, BB Z10, BB Passport, N950, N900, N8, Nexus 4 (Ubuntu Touch), Lumia 920

PostPosted: Wednesday, 26.Jan.2011 10:26    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

MeGoo too peaked at March 2010 and has been falling ever since.

My Android device is in the drawer, catching dust.
And I don't really care when Meego comes out. All I actually need is new, more powerful hardware for Maemo...

The following users say THANKS! for this post: ajack

krischik
Forum Senior
Forum Senior

Thanks received:
11 in 6 posts

PostPosted: Wednesday, 26.Jan.2011 14:46    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Michal Jerz wrote:
And I don't really care when Meego comes out. All I actually need is new, more powerful hardware for Maemo...

NOKIA will not make much money selling the N9 to just one last loyal customer.

Besides: the first mention I found of the N9 is June 1010. That too is more 6 Month ago. And the N900 is now 14 Month old.

Even Apple releases a new device every 12 Month.

So it is not Software side where NOKIA is behind. They are behind with Hardware as well.

In all other Forum in follow NOKIA and Symbian have become laughing stock. Usualy I try to defend Symbian. But for NOKIA there is nothing to defend left.
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1096 in 698 posts

Phone: Jolla, BB Z10, BB Passport, N950, N900, N8, Nexus 4 (Ubuntu Touch), Lumia 920

PostPosted: Thursday, 27.Jan.2011 05:22    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

NOKIA will not make much money selling the N9 to just one last loyal customer.

I guess I will be one of millions if the specs are as impressive as rumoured.

Quote:

So it is not Software side where NOKIA is behind. They are behind with Hardware as well.

I can't think of a single feature where Maemo would be behind Android. And if the technical specs of the N9 turn out to be true (which we should now in just a couple of weeks, during the Barcelona show) I can't also think of a single feature where N9 hardware would be behind any Android device.

Quote:

In all other Forum in follow NOKIA and Symbian have become laughing stock.

Yes, I am aware of such a trend. However, we do not follow it here. Unless provoked by people like Hintry, we do not laugh at Apple, Android, or anything else. We simply talk about systems which this website supports.

Quote:

But for NOKIA there is nothing to defend left.

I see that you've became a Hintry clone. You don't like Symbian, you don't like Maemo, you consider that Nokia is not able to do anything good, yet you keep coming here and complaining.

WHAT FOR? Shocked
ajack
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
23 in 10 posts
Thanks given: 22

Phone: P800, P990, P1i, N900, Xperia Pro

PostPosted: Saturday, 29.Jan.2011 20:29    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Michal Jerz wrote:
[...]

My Android device is in the drawer, catching dust.

I agree with Michal on this. If Nokia asks me what I want as a successor for the N900, it's an improved hardware on the Maemo platform.

Actually, I just want a faster processor with more RAM and a better battery. Ohhh! Maybe a 4 row keyboard... Smile
krischik
Forum Senior
Forum Senior

Thanks received:
11 in 6 posts

PostPosted: Sunday, 30.Jan.2011 10:57    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

ajack wrote:
If Nokia asks me what I want as a successor for the N900, it's an improved hardware on the Maemo platform.

But they don't ask you.

There is lot of wishful thinking going on here in the forum. Mostly stuff which will never happen.

Honestly: Another more powerful Meamo device? After all there advertising/announcements for the last 9 month went into MeGoo? Dream on.
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1096 in 698 posts

PostPosted: Sunday, 30.Jan.2011 14:41    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

But they don't ask you.
There is lot of wishful thinking going on here in the forum. Mostly stuff which will never happen.

Don't you think you're overly pessimistic? I don't think it is anything special to expect that the community will "port" Maemo 5 to run on the N9 hardware. And this way we can get exactly what ajack wrote, and that's WITHOUT Nokia asking him about anything.

The community wants to keep supporting Maemo 5, even if (and after) Nokia completely stops supporting it.

A new project has just been started, CSSU (Community Seamless Software Update), which is supposed to bring future firmware updates to Maemo 5 after Nokia stops delivering them.

See here:

http://wiki.maemo.org/Community_SSU

The day Nokia will forget about the N900, the Community will start supporting it.

Please BE SURE that such a new and much more powerful hardware as the N9 will not be ignored. I am more than sure that Maemo 5 will be ported to it the soonest possible.
krischik
Forum Senior
Forum Senior

Thanks received:
11 in 6 posts

PostPosted: Sunday, 30.Jan.2011 15:50    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:
Don't you think you're overly pessimistic?

No. All your optimism is based on the community while ajack and I where speaking of NOKIA. Community ≠ NOKIA.

Quote:
The community wants to keep supporting Maemo 5, even if (and after) Nokia completely stops supporting it.

What for? I always had the impression the community what MeGoo on the N900. That I understand. That is understandable. The N9 will come (when and if it comes) with MeGoo. Why would anyone install a lesser OS when a better OS comes pre-installed?
dannycamps
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
86 in 57 posts
Thanks given: 9

Phone: Nokia 9000i, Nokia 9290, Nokia 9500, Nokia E90, Nokia N900, Nokia E7, Nokia Lumia 920, Nokia Lumia 1520

PostPosted: Sunday, 30.Jan.2011 18:22    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

The N9 will come (when and if it comes) with MeGoo. Why would anyone install a lesser OS when a better OS comes pre-installed?

Because it's not a lesser OS. Maemo is a desktop operating system that is extremely powerful. Who knows is MeeGo is going to be compromised in any way (i.e. multitasking).

Aside from OS internals, the UI is also important. So far, I have been very unimpressed with the MeeGo UI. There is also a project underway as well to port the Hildon-desktop (essentially the main UI of Maemo) to MeeGo because people like the Maemo UI so much.

Newer OS != better OS. Just ask all of the people who are still running Windows XP.
krischik
Forum Senior
Forum Senior

Thanks received:
11 in 6 posts

PostPosted: Sunday, 30.Jan.2011 19:08    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:
Newer OS ≠ better OS.

I know that. But if MeGoo is not better then Maemo then NOKIA is in deep [put your favorite swearword here].

Back to the graphic on the top: Developers interest for MeGoo has peaked in March 2010 and is in decline ever since. It is now on place 12 of 12. Last place. Even HP's WebOS has a better standing.

NOKIAs market share fro smart-phones is dropping for an ever longer period of time. NOKIA need to reverse these trends. And this can only be done with an absolute top OS.

If you and Michal no tell me that MeGoo is not so good and users will rather keep the old Maemo then the situation for NOKIA is ever more dire then I thought.

Honestly: You are the NOKIA Fanboys, if you don't find MeGoo cool who will?
Rob1n
Site supporter
Site supporter

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
5 in 5 posts
Thanks given: 29

Phone: E90, N800, N900

PostPosted: Sunday, 30.Jan.2011 22:12    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

krischik wrote:
Back to the graphic on the top: Developers interest for MeGoo has peaked in March 2010 and is in decline ever since. It is now on place 12 of 12. Last place. Even HP's WebOS has a better standing.

Well, yes. Shock, horror - developers are interested in OS's which actually have devices out there. Is this really news to anyone?
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1096 in 698 posts

PostPosted: Monday, 31.Jan.2011 10:48    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

No. All your optimism is based on the community while ajack and I where speaking of NOKIA. Community ≠ NOKIA.

And I told you many times that I don't care if I get support from Nokia or the community, as long as I get what I need.

Quote:

What for?

Because Maemo 5 is a fantastic mobile operating system, 1000x better than Android. The only thing it lacks at the moment is up-to-date hardware, i.e. faster processor and more RAM. Nothing else.

Quote:

The N9 will come (when and if it comes) with MeGoo. Why would anyone install a lesser OS when a better OS comes pre-installed?

"Lesser" by what? By the numbering? As long as it fulfills my requirements (and it does), for me it is just OK.

Quote:

Honestly: You are the NOKIA Fanboys

Honestly (and I already told you that): you became a clone of Hintry. A person who comes here only to complain about the systems this site supports and constantly bash their manufacturer. Nothing besides that. ZERO productivity.

And it's really said because you used to be a very serious and constructive user of this forum not so long ago.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> Maemo 5 Fremantle All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic