MEEGO  SECTION
-My-MeeGo.com-
SOFTWARE STORECONTACT

My-Symbian.com Forums

My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo
Symbian & Linux based Communicator and Smartphone Info Center
The Oldest Symbian Community Website - Since 1999

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RulesRules   Log inLog in 
Lightweight, simplified version of the forumsMobile version
Android on WeTab

Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> MeeGo Harmattan
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1096 in 698 posts
Thanks given: 286

Phone: Jolla, BB Z10, BB Passport, N950, N900, N8, Nexus 4 (Ubuntu Touch), Lumia 920

PostPosted: Saturday, 02.Apr.2011 16:21    Post subject: Android on WeTab   Reply with quote   

Today I've started the WeTab and noticed new "Android" item in its AppStore.

I thought that it might be the Alien Dalvik port, so I quickly installed it.

Well, it actually turned out to be Android 2.1 system running in a Virtual Box, which isn't as nice solution as Alien Dalvik as you can't install and run Android apps "natively", i.e. directly from the WeTab OS, and you must "separately" run Android OS, but as Virtual Box with Android can be started from within WeTab OS (like an application) and unlike NITDroid it doesn't require booting separately into Android, it's still a nice solution. Shortly speaking, when you launch Android in Virtual Box, you simply have it running as an application, so you have BOTH the WeTab MeeGo OS and Android running at the same time, and fully multitasking.

AndroidPIT app store is enabled in this port, giving access to about 3500 applications.

When you exit, Virtual Box saves its state, so next time you run it it can go back to exactly the same state you left it in.

The Android OS seems to be a cut-down version, stripped off all "unnecessary" features, meant to be just an environment for running Android apps. Read: no phone functionality, no standard Android applications (Contacts, Calendar, etc.) - simply a basic operating system to install and run 3rd party apps on it.

I'll play with it later today, and for now some screenshots showing how it looks and works:

The following users say THANKS! for this post: Casanunda, pvanbeek, Rob1n, jad

Casanunda
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
52 in 48 posts
Thanks given: 323

Phone: n900, Jolla

PostPosted: Saturday, 02.Apr.2011 17:00    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

This sounds like good news.
Looking forward to your experience when you try it out...
dannycamps
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
86 in 57 posts
Thanks given: 9

Phone: Nokia 9000i, Nokia 9290, Nokia 9500, Nokia E90, Nokia N900, Nokia E7, Nokia Lumia 920, Nokia Lumia 1520

PostPosted: Saturday, 02.Apr.2011 17:33    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Clever...

What is the performance like?
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1096 in 698 posts

Phone: Jolla, BB Z10, BB Passport, N950, N900, N8, Nexus 4 (Ubuntu Touch), Lumia 920

PostPosted: Sunday, 03.Apr.2011 01:35    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Performance is quite nice, IMO considerably better than NITDroid on the N900 (no annoying lags, etc.)

And I like how it saves its state when you close it. Thanks to it you need to wait for the system to boot only the first time you start it. Then it always just resumes from the saved state, which is very quick (several seconds) and doesn't actually differ from waking up a computer from hibernation.

All in all, it's not bad. The only inconvenience (compared to Alien Dalvik) is that you can't have icons of installed Android applications directly on the WeTab desktop/launcher and you need to launch Android first and only then start the application of your choice from within Android, but other than that it's not any worse... And as VirtualBox runs in a window, it fully multitasks with the host WeTab OS so you can use it simultaneously with WeTab apps.

The following users say THANKS! for this post: dannycamps, Casanunda

ceroberts75
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
79 in 45 posts
Thanks given: 40

Phone: n9, n900, e90, 5800, e71-1, 9500, 7710, 2660

PostPosted: Sunday, 03.Apr.2011 06:52    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

you know, i thought about wanting to have this tablet when it first came out...then no, then no again, but it seems this tablet is quite extensive...and it is a yes again. just think it is overprticed still and not sure what meggo tablets are going to bring.
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1096 in 698 posts

PostPosted: Sunday, 03.Apr.2011 16:37    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

just think it is overprticed still and not sure what meggo tablets are going to bring.

Well, you can always reflash it to MeeGo Tablet UX if it turns out to be better. Or to Windows 7 Wink
dannycamps
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
86 in 57 posts
Thanks given: 9

Phone: Nokia 9000i, Nokia 9290, Nokia 9500, Nokia E90, Nokia N900, Nokia E7, Nokia Lumia 920, Nokia Lumia 1520

PostPosted: Sunday, 03.Apr.2011 18:23    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

Performance is quite nice, IMO considerably better than NITDroid on the N900 (no annoying lags, etc.)

And now the all important question Michal...

How do 3D android games run in the Virtual box?
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1096 in 698 posts

PostPosted: Monday, 04.Apr.2011 21:01    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

I'm not too much of a gamer myself. Can you suggest a game I could try? (possibly available for free download from AndroidPIT, which is integrated).

Thank you.
jad
Site supporter
Site supporter

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
0 in 0 posts
Thanks given: 31

Phone: N9 E7, N900, C6-01, N95

PostPosted: Tuesday, 05.Apr.2011 04:51    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Waiting for further developments ..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> MeeGo Harmattan All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic