MEEGO  SECTION
-My-MeeGo-
SOFTWARE STORECONTACT

My-Symbian.com Forums

My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo
Symbian & Linux based Communicator and Smartphone Info Center
The Oldest Symbian Community Website - Since 1999

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RulesRules   Log inLog in 
Lightweight, simplified version of the forumsMobile version
Firefox for Maemo

Go to page  
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> Maemo 5 Fremantle
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BentL

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
483 in 355 posts
Thanks given: 114

Phone: N9, N900, E90, 9300i, 9300, 9210

PostPosted: Friday, 20.Mar.2009 14:37    Post subject: Firefox for Maemo   Reply with quote   

Mozilla has released the first beta of its Fennec mobile browser for the Nokia N810 Internet Tablets, see this blog post. Excerpt:
    Fennec 1.0 Beta 1
    I’m super happy to announce the first beta release of Fennec for the Maemo platform.

Fennec 1.0 Beta 1 includes lots of great improvements, especially around performance. Starting with this beta, I’m able to use Fennec as the primary browser on my N810. We’ve done heavy optimizations to our frontend code and made a number of optimizations to the platform, resulting in greatly increasing zooming speed and making panning pretty smooth. We’ve also been able to improve startup performance by reducing a good bit of unnecessary work. We’ve enabled TraceMonkey bringing to mobile the huge JavaScript speed improvements the JIT has brought to Firefox 3.1 betas. A number of performance hotspots have been identified that we’ll continue to focus on until we ship final – in fact, we have fixed number of issues already for the next beta.

On the feature front, we’ve enabled plugins so you can now watch videos on your favorite sites, and we’ve got in our first pass at improved bookmark management and support for bookmark folders. A lot of time was spent on infrastructure that we could use to build the rest of our app with. You’re now able to scroll things like preferences and the new bookmarks list. One of our main focuses for the next milestone will be on polishing the user interface — areas like the extension manager will get a face lift and we’ll start working more on some of the usability issues people have reported.

Madhava Enros, our lead user interface designer for Fennec, has put together a great video of Beta 1 that not only shows off many of the things we’ve done but also does a great job of explaining many of the choices we’ve made.
--
Bent Laursen

Last edited by BentL on Thursday, 28.Jan.2010 11:50; edited 3 times in total
BentL

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
483 in 355 posts

PostPosted: Monday, 29.Jun.2009 09:14    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Mozilla has released the second beta of its Fennec mobile browser for the Maemo platform, see this blog post. Excerpt:
    New Fennec Releases
    Welcome to the world both Fennec 1.0 Beta 2 for Maemo and Fennec 1.0 Alpha 2 for Windows Mobile.

In addition to Maemo and Windows Mobile builds, you can also download desktop builds for Windows, Mac, and Linux.

For these releases we have worked on improving the user experience, replacing our old theme with a much nicer looking one and fixing numerous usability issues. We’ve continued to increase performance and responsiveness. We’ve revamped how you install Add-ons, improved our download manager and the whole look of the application. We’ve started work on making forms on web pages easier to use, providing a nicer combo box UI than before.

Both of these builds are built on top of the same front end and back end codebases — their version differences are just to express their currently different usability levels.

We’re starting to see some very exciting Fennec Add-ons being built by the community, including things like GeoGuide which uses the new Location Aware APIs to show you things like maps and weather near where you currently are, and other things like GraffiTwit, a Twitter client that lets you not only write tweets but also post images you’ve drawn.

We’ll continue to polish the user experience and improve performance, and are already hard at work on some changes that will make big performance improvements.
--
Bent Laursen
86hitman
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
0 in 0 posts
Thanks given: 0

Phone: E65, E71

PostPosted: Monday, 29.Jun.2009 20:09    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

maybe someone with a nokia tablet could install and share their experience ...?
substance
Site supporter
Site supporter

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
0 in 0 posts

Phone: Nokia 9300i,Nokia E90(Mocha),Nokia 6822b,Nokia E71,Nokia N810,Nokia 6263,Nokia N900,Nokia 5230 Nuron

PostPosted: Monday, 29.Jun.2009 23:56    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

i tried the first beta it wasnt any faster than the microB which is the default browser on maemo. I liked the microB better so I uninstalled it. It was very buggy if I remember right. I will wait for the alpha release.
86hitman
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
0 in 0 posts

Phone: E65, E71

PostPosted: Wednesday, 01.Jul.2009 09:59    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

substance, thanks for your opinion. but yeh, as you say, its just their first release...
BentL

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
483 in 355 posts

PostPosted: Sunday, 06.Sep.2009 20:57    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Russell Beattie has a long blog post where he argues that the Fennec browser needs a redesign:

http://www.russellbeattie.com/blog/mobile-web-browser-thoughts-aka-moz illa-fennec-needs-a-redesign

--
Bent Laursen
BentL

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
483 in 355 posts

PostPosted: Tuesday, 10.Nov.2009 11:25    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Nokia Experts has an article about Fennec beta 1.0b5 that gets official Firefox branding and is available for the N810 and N900:

http://nokiaexperts.com/fennec-beta-10b5-official-firefox-branding-n81 0-n900/

--
Bent Laursen
BentL

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
483 in 355 posts

PostPosted: Monday, 14.Dec.2009 15:13    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Mozilla is about to have a release candidate of its mobile Firefox browser (Fennec ) for the Maemo platform, see this article in CNet News. Excerpt:
    First Mobile Firefox enters home stretch
    Mozilla is wrapping up work on its first version of Firefox for mobile phones, an important step in bringing the second most popular PC browser to an area where a rival project holds more influence.

"Our goal is to have a release candidate next week," said Jay Sullivan, Mozilla's vice president of mobile. "If things go smoothly, we'll have a (final) version out in the next few weeks," with the debut planned for this year, he added.

Mozilla has been a leader in advancing the Web state of the art. But when it comes to the mobile phones, where the power of a new generation of hardware has transformed browsers from primitive afterthoughts to useful tools, Firefox has been missing in action.

Instead, an open-source project called WebKit powers the browser on the higher-end mobile phones du jour--Apple's iPhone, the Palm Pre, and Motorola's Droid and other models running Google's Android operating system, with BlackBerry headed that direction, too.

In contrast, the first mobile Firefox version will run on Nokia's powerful but relatively obscure new N900, a $569 hybrid computer and mobile phone that uses Nokia's Linux-based Maemo operating system. A Windows Mobile version of Firefox is set to arrive next year, and Mozilla has begun working on an Android version now that Google released a native developer kit.

Firefox has one big thing going for it, though: it's a close relative of the PC-based browser that today is used by about a quarter of people on the Web.

The link extends beyond brand familiarity. For one thing, mobile Firefox is based on the same code as the present Firefox 3.6--also a beta version due to finished by the end of 2009. For another, through a Mozilla service and browser plug-in called Weave, mobile Firefox synchronizes bookmarks, passwords, and even open tabs with the desktop version of the browser.

In addition, Firefox for the N900 can run many Firefox extensions--AdBlock Plus among the 30 or so now available. Sullivan recommends updating their interfaces for the small devices, though.

Nokia partnership
    Mozilla has been working closely with Nokia to develop Firefox on its N900 handset. It already ships with a lighter-weight browser that uses the same Gecko code base as Firefox, but the full Firefox mobile version--a project code-named Fennec--is more powerful.

"You want to put the desktop experience into a pocket-sized device," said Ari Jaaksi, vice president of Maemo devices. "What do people use on the desktop? Firefox."

However, Firefox won't ship with the device, at least initially. The company is open to the idea of including it in the next version of the operating system, due in the second half of 2010, Jaaksi said. Mozilla, meanwhile, is comfortable with the idea of people having to actively download the browser, the most common way Firefox has been distributed on PCs.

The N900 is available as an unlocked device through various retail channels, but Nokia doesn't yet have any partnerships in the United States with wireless service carriers who might help bring the N900 to a broader market. It's a relatively powerful device with a 600MHz processor and 3D graphics hardware--enough oomph to run Adobe Flash on Web pages today. Its price may seem high, but bear in mind that unlocked devices don't get a subsidy by carriers that expect to see their up-front payment returned over months of subscription payments.

"We need pretty high-end stuff to make the Web great," Sullivan said, but not so high-end that the N900 is the only handset to fit the bill. "Everything now on the mid- to high-end is fine."

WebKit has intercepted the newer generation of smartphones. Through the wonders of Moore's Law, new devices get steadily more processing power and memory. So aiming for today's top-end phones can mean software will work on tomorrow's mainstream models.

The N900 is at the top end of the range, but Firefox runs elsewhere, too. The Windows Mobile version of Fennec is in alpha testing now, lagging the Maemo version by about three or four months, Sullivan said. Mozilla plans to release it in final form in the first half of 2010, he said.

Firefox: like an operating system?
    Mozilla has a lot of plans for mobile Firefox that, to some extent, put it in opposition with Nokia. The N900 is aimed in part at programmers who want to low-level control over a device through its Linux operating system. But Firefox--like Google's Chrome--is assuming the role of a general-purpose foundation for running programs.

"We're almost an operating system," Sullivan said.

Several features support the direction. Built into Firefox now is geolocation, which lets a Web application tap into the phone's services to figure out where a user is and, for example, show a map of the nearest pizza shops. Also included is support for orientation detection, important for games, and offline data storage, important for a variety of programming needs.

There's more on the way in 2010, Sullivan said:

• Support for multitouch displays for a more sophisticated user interface.

• Support for haptic feedback, such as the phone vibrating when a virtual keyboard key is tapped.

• The ability to control a camera.

• Support for Electrolysis, Mozilla's project to split tasks such as the user interface, tabs, and plug-ins into separate processes. That improves stability and performance, he said.

• Support for JetPack, Mozilla's next-generation extensions system.

• Integration of the Weave synchronization software so it's no longer a plug-in.

• Support for WebGL, an interface to provide browsers with accelerated 3D graphics.

• Faster execution of JavaScript programs that are common and increasingly powerful on the Web.

Applications that run natively on a device--whether directly on the hardware as in the case of the iPhone or on the Java-derived layer called Dalvik on Android--are an important area of mobile development today. But the Palm Pre uses a browser-based application design.

"It's the right model. It's not there yet," Sullivan said of Web-based programs. Today programmers must create separate versions of applications for BlackBerry, Nokia's Symbian, Android, the iPhone, and other mobile phones.

But that profusion will be replaced by the universality of the Web, he predicted.

"In three years," Sullivan said, "80 percent of those applications are going to be Web-based."
--
Bent Laursen
BentL

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
483 in 355 posts

PostPosted: Friday, 18.Dec.2009 14:52    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

PC Pro has an article about Firefox Mobile. Excerpt:
    Mozilla: Firefox Mobile will kill off app stores
    Mozilla claims that its new Firefox Mobile browser could be the beginning of the end for the hugely popular app stores created by Apple and its ilk.

Mozilla is releasing the first version of Firefox Mobile (codenamed Fennec) on Nokia's N900 handset, with versions for Windows Mobile and Android set to arrive next year.

The foundation claims that Firefox Mobile will have the fastest Javascript engine of any mobile browser, allowing developers to create apps for the browser instead of creating multiple versions of the same app for different mobile OSes.

"Anyone who knows JavaScript and HTML can develop a great app without having to learn a specific mobile platform," Jay Sullivan, vice president of mobile at Mozilla told PC Pro.

Sullivan claims developers are frustrated by the difficulties of writing for multiple mobile platforms. "We look at the problems it creates for small innovators," he said. "You have to create an iPhone app, an Android app, a Windows Mobile app..."

"As developers get more frustrated with quality assurance, the amount of handsets they have to buy, whether their security updates will get past the iPhone approval process... I think they'll move to the web."

Sullivan says it will take time to wean developers away from the app store model, which has been heralded as one of the chief reasons for the iPhone's success. "In the interim period, apps will be very successful. Over time, the web will win because it always does."

Desktop features
    Many of the features users have grown used to on Firefox's PC browser will be available in the mobile version. The Awesome Bar - which uses bookmarks and browsing history to auto-complete web addresses as users begin to type a website's URL or name - will appear in Firefox Mobile.

The mobile browser will be continually synchronised with the PC. "When you start typing [into the mobile browser], the website you went to on the desktop a week ago will just pop up," Sullivan said.

The synchronisation will extend beyond the Awesome Bar. "We will sync browser tabs in real time," Sullivan adds. "If you have five, 10, 20 tabs open on your PC and something happens and you have to leave, you can pick up where you left off on your phone."

Firefox Mobile will also support browser add-ons. "Some are existing add-ons for the PC, some are brand new," Sullivan claims.

Sullivan admits that features such as multiple tab support and add-ons will require Mozilla to carefully manage the browser's memory, so that it doesn't consume too much of the phone's limited resources. "We have to flush the memory more often [than on the desktop browser]," Sullivan said. "The goal is to create the feeling that we do for the desktop user.
--
Bent Laursen
BentL

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
483 in 355 posts

PostPosted: Monday, 04.Jan.2010 14:44    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Mozilla has released Firefox Mobile release candidate 1 for the Maemo platform, see blog post. Excerpt:
    Firefox for Maemo RC1
    To help bring in the new year, Mozilla has released the first release candidate of Firefox for Maemo. If you’ve already got beta 5 installed on your N900 or N810, you will be receiving a software update shortly. Otherwise, if you’re viewing this on your device, you can install it from here.

As always, we’ve provided unbranded Fennec desktop builds on Windows, Mac, and Linux. You can use these if you don’t have a Maemo device or to aid in addon-on development.

We’ve improved text rendering, added new hooks for add-on developers, and continued to polish the application. We’ve addressed many N900 specific issues, including installing to /opt and the fixing the symbol picker.

We’re looking to get all the feedback we can as we move forward, so please leave comments or file bugs.
--
Bent Laursen
Rob1n
Site supporter
Site supporter

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
5 in 5 posts
Thanks given: 29

Phone: E90, N800, N900

PostPosted: Monday, 04.Jan.2010 16:47    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

There's a nice review at http://blog.twinapex.fi/2010/01/02/mobile-browser-wars-nokia-microb-vs -firefox-fennec/ comparing it with microB.
dannycamps
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
86 in 57 posts
Thanks given: 9

Phone: Nokia 9000i, Nokia 9290, Nokia 9500, Nokia E90, Nokia N900, Nokia E7, Nokia Lumia 920, Nokia Lumia 1520

PostPosted: Saturday, 09.Jan.2010 22:11    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Woke up this morning to a Firefox update (now v1.0.0 - no RC). Some quick thoughts after playing with it for a little bit:

1. Page loading is MUCH better than the RC1 version but still a bit slower than MicroB. It is definitely usable now. Kinetic scrolling is definitely better on complex sites.

2. Previously viewed pages accessed via the back button (backspace) are now retrieved from cache instead of by reloading the page - thank you!

Overall I have a much better feeling about the browser than I did with the last version and thats a good sign. Hopefully the improvements continue.

BTW, the update this morning consisted of two packages:
Firefox
Mozilla runtime and javascript engine

Thanks,
Daniel
gruzman
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
2 in 1 posts
Thanks given: 1

Phone: p990i / n900 / n9 64 black

PostPosted: Saturday, 09.Jan.2010 23:37    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

There are some reports from people that Firefox work with almost same speed as MicroB on newer firmware.
BentL

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
483 in 355 posts

PostPosted: Sunday, 10.Jan.2010 15:55    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Mozilla has released Firefox Mobile release candidate 2 for the Maemo platform, see blog post. Excerpt:
    Firefox for Maemo RC2
    The second release candidate of Firefox for Maemo is now available. Based on feedback we’ve received so far, we’ve been able to track down a major performance issue that was affecting the N900 and resolve the problem. We’ve also updated to the latest version of our layout engine, Gecko 1.9.2 RC1, which is the same version that the soon-to-be-released Firefox 3.6 RC1 uses.

If you’ve already got RC1 installed on your N900 or N810, you will be receiving a software update shortly. Otherwise, if you’re viewing this on your device, you can install it from here.

Your feedback really makes a difference, so please let us know what you think. Leave comments here or file bugs.
--
Bent Laursen
Fw190
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
4 in 2 posts
Thanks given: 1

Phone: N900

PostPosted: Sunday, 10.Jan.2010 20:41    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

It's extremely slow on my unit. The build in browser works very fast compered t firefox
Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> Maemo 5 Fremantle All times are GMT + 2 Hours

Go to page  
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic