MEEGO  SECTION
-My-MeeGo-
SOFTWARE STORECONTACT

My-Symbian.com Forums

My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo
Symbian & Linux based Communicator and Smartphone Info Center
The Oldest Symbian Community Website - Since 1999

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RulesRules   Log inLog in 
Lightweight, simplified version of the forumsMobile version
Updates to Symbian 3.2 and 5.0

Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> Symbian OS S60 5th Edition (Symbian ^1)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BentL

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
483 in 355 posts
Thanks given: 114

Phone: N9, N900, E90, 9300i, 9300, 9210

PostPosted: Wednesday, 29.Jun.2011 14:45    Post subject: Updates to Symbian 3.2 and 5.0   Reply with quote   

A number of Symbian 3.2 and 5.0 devices will get updates, see Nokia Conversations. Excerpt:
    Updates to Symbian 3.2 and 5.0
    GLOBAL – If you’re the proud owner of a Nokia E72, Nokia 5230 or other Nokia phone powered by a Symbian version prior to Symbian^3, I’m sure you’ll be as pleased as we are to hear that some new features will be coming to your phone soon. Read on to find out what’s being added.

Despite the arrival of the new Symbian platform and new phones such as the Nokia X7 and E6, the older devices that people are carrying in their pockets for years have not been forgotten by any means. The software team at Nokia has been working hard on bringing updates to these phones, too, in order to improve their feature set, as well as to provide the usual fixes and improvements.

These updates will be targeted at selected phones running Symbian 3.2 and Symbian 5.0, but let’s break that down so we know exactly what that means:

Symbian 3.2

• Nokia E72
    • Nokia E52
    • Nokia E5
    • Nokia C5-00
    • Nokia 6700 slide

Symbian 5.0

• Nokia C6-00
    • Nokia C5-03
    • Nokia 5230
    • Nokia 5235
    • Nokia 5250
    • Nokia X6
    • Nokia N97 mini
    • Nokia 5800 XpressMusic
    • Nokia 5530 XpressMusic

One of the key updates is the Nokia browser v7.3, the same that will be available for newer Symbian phone in the coming months with Symbian Anna. It provides faster browsing, supports International Domain Names (IDNs) and also supports non-ASCII letters such as Arabic or Chinese. Ultimately, you’ll get a better browsing experience.

Ovi Maps is another updated feature in these handsets, but there are two different versions to take into consideration. Ovi Maps 3 SR4 will feature on Symbian 3.2 devices, bringing indoor positioning through WiFi, as well as travel and recommendation services such as those through Lonely Planet. For users of Symbian 5.0 devices, you’ll get Ovi Maps 3 SR6, adding public transport lines and check-in services to social networking sites.

And finally, a set of emoticons will be added into all listed devices, giving you a fun way of expressing your feelings when writing text messages or sending MMSs to your friends and family.

The launch of those updates goes like this: Nokia C6-00 and Nokia 5230 download release starts as of today, and the rest of the models will follow in the next few weeks.

And one more thing: it’s worth noting that the updates won’t hit all the phones at the same time but will be rolled out in stages, as normally happens. So make sure you have the software update autocheck switched on in your phone!

Are you an owner of a Symbian 3.2 or 5.0 powered device? Which of these updates is most important to you? Let us know below.
--
Bent Laursen
ashwin.terminator
My first post!
My first post!

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
1 in 1 posts
Thanks given: 0

Phone: 5230

PostPosted: Thursday, 30.Jun.2011 05:43    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Also added swipe unlock feature and improved the camera quality by getting rid of that blue tinge characteristic of Nokia phones. Other than that, good update. Much necessary. Version number for the 5230 is 50.0.001. Couldn't update OTA for some reason. Needed Ovi Suite for it. It was a 143 MB download.

The following users say THANKS! for this post: gymbo

BentL

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
483 in 355 posts
Thanks given: 114

Phone: N9, N900, E90, 9300i, 9300, 9210

PostPosted: Monday, 29.Aug.2011 15:11    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Not all of the phone models listed earlier will not get updates, see Nokia Conversations. Excerpt:
    New info on the software updates for Symbian 5.0 and 3.2 devices
    GLOBAL – Last week we made some edits in the article published in June on the software updates for Symbian 5.0 and 3.2 devices. We have since then received questions about this topic from our readers, so we’d like to share some more information on the status of these updates. We’d like to confirm that the planned updates for Nokia X6, Nokia 5530 and Nokia 5800 are still to be released and we are currently working on getting the software ready to launch in some months.

As all three models are among our older devices, not all operators globally will test and approve the software update for these phones. This is the reason why we decided to remove the devices from the global posting. Availability of the software update for these phones will be determined at a local level.
--
Bent Laursen
Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> Symbian OS S60 5th Edition (Symbian ^1) All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic