MEEGO  SECTION
-My-MeeGo.com-
SOFTWARE STORECONTACT

My-Symbian.com Forums

My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo
Symbian & Linux based Communicator and Smartphone Info Center
The Oldest Symbian Community Website - Since 1999

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RulesRules   Log inLog in 
Lightweight, simplified version of the forumsMobile version
The Nokia e90...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> Symbian OS S60 3rd Edition Communicators
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Simon Templar
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
1 in 1 posts
Thanks given: 2

Phone: Nokia e90

PostPosted: Sunday, 14.Aug.2011 05:00    Post subject: The Nokia e90...   Reply with quote   

Hey guys, excuse me for the rant but I need to get this off my chest.

I've been a faithful Nokia Communicator for years. In fact, I still own two of my original Nokia 9000's. (9000i, 9000il) I made the switch to the 9110 and shortly thereafter to the 9210. Then the 9300 and the 9500 finally came out, wanted the 9300i, but since the 9300 released circa the same time as the 9500 came out, I went for the 9500 because of WiFi.

All these phones gave me excellent service, and in fact I have all of them (minus the 9500 due to it being stolen) and they all still work. Including the 9000il!

After my 9500 was stolen, I toyed around with other phones to see what I was "missing". Come to find out, the only thing I was missing was my communicator. After playing around with the TyTn II, iPhone 3G(S) I opted to ditch them all for a shiny new e90.

I'm on my third one now! First one was stolen, the second one I used so much that it basically wore itself out. Bought a nice new case and keypad for it, but never got around to putting it together. Then a couple of months ago, I bought a lightly used e90.

I've tested out it's successor, the e7 and I didn't like it. It feels solid, still uses Symbian, but c'mon! It isn't a Communicator! Why does Nokia think that all business users want a huge touch screen? I don't. If I wanted an iPhone, I would have bought an iPhone. I like the layout of all the previous gen Communicators with the dedicated keyboard shortcuts, I liked the "laptop" (clamshell) design. This new one just doesn't appeal to me. Plus, I find navigating a touchscreen annoying. One of the reasons I went back to the e90.

So unless Nokia redoes the design for the next gen Communicator, they have have lost a faithful Communicator customer since '97.

Anyone else here feel the same way? Not trying to make any sort of troll post or start a flame war. Just stating my opinion. The e7 is a nice phone, no doubt. HDMI output, HD recording, solidly built and USB host possibilities... Just, not what I wanted in a Communicator.

The following users say THANKS! for this post: gymbo

dannycamps
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
86 in 57 posts
Thanks given: 9

Phone: Nokia 9000i, Nokia 9290, Nokia 9500, Nokia E90, Nokia N900, Nokia E7, Nokia Lumia 920, Nokia Lumia 1520

PostPosted: Sunday, 14.Aug.2011 07:03    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

Just, not what I wanted in a Communicator.

It truly is a shame that Nokia felt that the communicator was such a niche product that they deemed them not worthy enough to produce another clamshell QWERTY phone.

The previous communicators were not only technically impressive, they were solidly built as well.

Right now I am loving my N900 but I am disheartened knowing that I will most likely not get the chance to play with its successor (the N950) especially after all the nice things Michal has been writing about it. With my N900 aging, eventually it is going to need to be replaced and right now, my only option appears to be the E7.

That being said, I do hope that somebody (doesn't need to be Nokia) comes up with a good clamshell phone with a hardware keyboard not running Android, WinMo, or iOS.

The following users say THANKS! for this post: gymbo

Simon Templar
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
1 in 1 posts
Thanks given: 2

Phone: Nokia e90

PostPosted: Monday, 15.Aug.2011 04:14    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Hey Danny, the N900 is one of the phones I was looking at a while back. I've owned the N770 (710?) and the N810 internet tablets. Loved them.

Yeah, it's really a shame that Nokia is trying to copy the other phones on the market today. They had a great thing going with the Communicators.

But like you said, hopefully someone else will come out with a nice clamshell styled phone. Smile
kitravel
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
0 in 0 posts
Thanks given: 0

Phone: 9110, 9210, 9500, Omnia i900

PostPosted: Sunday, 21.Aug.2011 11:50    Post subject: Communicators   Reply with quote   

Smile Hi, I was always a faithful communicator fan right from the first one. Through until the N9500. When I started to get battery and keyboard problems with my N9500, I looked around for a substitute, and fell for the Samsung Omnia i900. Nice phone, a bit complicated to get used to, and still have it. But I still also have my N9500 on my desk, in constant use for the Symbian software I had installed, and ease of use on WiFi messaging, notepads etc etc. Only pity is that one of the hinges has broken, so it's all taped up if/when I want to carry it around. Never did get round to finding an E90. No. 2 son has bought an E7, not really a communicator, but a very impressive bit of kit. Am hoping Father Christmas might bring me one?
ciao for now,
ed
DavidFh
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
2 in 2 posts

Phone: E90, 9300

PostPosted: Friday, 02.Dec.2011 00:35    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

I am feeling the same way! My E90 is getting old but there is no phone out there that is interesting as my next phone... perhaps a new E90 but with other colour? I want a new real communicator!
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1096 in 698 posts
Thanks given: 286

Phone: Jolla, BB Z10, BB Passport, N950, N900, N8, Nexus 4 (Ubuntu Touch), Lumia 920

PostPosted: Friday, 02.Dec.2011 01:27    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

I am feeling the same way! My E90 is getting old but there is no phone out there that is interesting as my next phone... perhaps a new E90 but with other colour? I want a new real communicator!

Well, I am one of those few lucky ones who were able to get the N950. And it does replace the E90, entirely. It doesn't have that lovely clamshell dual-display Communicator design which I really miss, but functionally it really does the job and the quality of the keyboard is also more than satisfactory.

So the new Communicator actually exists.... it's just that Nokia does not want to make it available to people...
DavidFh
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
2 in 2 posts

PostPosted: Friday, 02.Dec.2011 12:21    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Michal Jerz wrote:
[...]

Well, I am one of those few lucky ones who were able to get the N950. And it does replace the E90, entirely. It doesn't have that lovely clamshell dual-display Communicator design which I really miss, but functionally it really does the job and the quality of the keyboard is also more than satisfactory.

So the new Communicator actually exists.... it's just that Nokia does not want to make it available to people...

This is even more frustrating I guess. It is out there but not for me Sad

But what I really would like to see is a new clamshell communicator, with phone on the outside and os that feels abut the same as s80. This will never happen off course.

If anyone out there have a e950 for sale, please contact me Smile
DavidFh
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
2 in 2 posts

PostPosted: Friday, 02.Dec.2011 13:02    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Michal Jerz wrote:
[...]

AVR4000
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
59 in 43 posts
Thanks given: 8

Phone: Nokia N70, Nokia N95 8 GB, Nokia E52, Nokia E61, Nokia 9300i, Nokia E90, Sony Xperia Z Ultra C6802 and C6833

PostPosted: Sunday, 04.Dec.2011 20:25    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

I am afraid the the E90 will be the "last Communicator" for me. A constant problem is the lack of a device with a keyboard that on the same time has a really powerful hardware, good camera etc. It seems like there's also some kind of compromise like slower CPU, smaller screen etc.

The situation on the market has made me go Android since it works well even if I still use Windows Mobile for some tasks.

It would be perfect if there is a proper Communicator replacement on the market but one problem is certainly the lack of platforms/UIs that can handle it. But with tablets on the market, one obvious solution would be to shrink a tablet to around 4.5 inches and put a keyboard on.

Out of the platforms out there today, I view Android and perhaps Tizen as the most logical choices.

The last keyboarded device I could regard as a "Communicator" was the HTC Touch Pro 2. If the HTC 7 Pro had been proper, i.e with Windows Mobile 6.5.3, it could have been a great device.

When it comes to Nokia, it seems like the Communicator concept died with the E90. The N950 could have been a great success if they had released it to the public.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> Symbian OS S60 3rd Edition Communicators All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic