MEEGO  SECTION
-My-MeeGo.com-
SOFTWARE STORECONTACT

My-Symbian.com Forums

My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo
Symbian & Linux based Communicator and Smartphone Info Center
The Oldest Symbian Community Website - Since 1999

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RulesRules   Log inLog in 
Lightweight, simplified version of the forumsMobile version
MeeGo to be replaced by Tizen OS

Go to page
1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> Tizen
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BentL

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
482 in 354 posts
Thanks given: 113

Phone: N9, N900, E90, 9300i, 9300, 9210

PostPosted: Wednesday, 28.Sep.2011 10:54    Post subject: MeeGo to be replaced by Tizen OS   Reply with quote   

MeeGo will be replaced by Tizen OS, see blog post. Excerpt:
    What's Next for MeeGo
    By now, you may have read that The Linux Foundation, with the support of several other companies, announced a new project, Tizen, to build a new operating system for devices. This new project is first and foremost open source, and based on Linux. So it begs the question: why not just evolve MeeGo? We believe the future belongs to HTML5-based applications, outside of a relatively small percentage of apps, and we are firmly convinced that our investment needs to shift toward HTML5. Shifting to HTML5 doesn't just mean slapping a web runtime on an existing Linux, even one aimed at mobile, as MeeGo has been. Emphasizing HTML5 means that APIs not visible to HTML5 programmers need not be as rigid, and can evolve with platform technology and can vary by market segment.

Granted, this is a judgment on our part on which reasonable people could disagree, but that's the conclusion I came to.

But in the new project, a lot of things will be the same as they were in the MeeGo project. The Tizen project will reside within the Linux Foundation, will be governed by a Technical Steering Group, and will be developed openly with familiar and improved infrastructure. Much like MeeGo, the Tizen project will support multiple device categories, including Tablets, Netbooks, Handsets, Smart TV, and In-Vehicle Infotainment systems.

Over the next couple of months, we will be working very hard to make sure that users of MeeGo can easily transition to Tizen, and I will be working even harder to make sure that developers of MeeGo can also transition to Tizen.

I want to personally thank everyone who has participated in MeeGo over the past year and a half, and I encourage you to join us at Tizen.org. We hope to use what we learned from the MeeGo project to make Tizen successful, and I hope to see you participating in Tizen!
From the Tizen website:
    Welcome to Tizen!
    Today we are happy to welcome you to Tizen, a new open source project that is the home of the Tizen software platform, a mobile and device operating system based on Linux and other popular upstream projects. Tizen will support multiple device categories, such as smartphones, tablets, smart TVs, netbooks, and in-vehicle infotainment devices. The Linux Foundation will host the project, where Tizen development will be completely open and led by a technical steering team composed of Intel and Samsung.

The Tizen application programming interfaces are based on HTML5 and other web standards, and we anticipate that the vast majority of Tizen application development will be based on these emerging standards. These APIs will cover various platform capabilities, such as messaging, multimedia, camera, network, and social media. For those who use native code in their applications, the Tizen SDK will include a native development kit. We will open the entire Tizen software stack, from the core OS up through the core applications and polished user interfaces.

We expect the first release of Tizen and its SDK in the first quarter of 2012.

We will post additional details about this project in the coming weeks, including the code, developer documentation, and more. We look forward to working with all of you to make Tizen a success!
--
Bent Laursen
BentL

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
482 in 354 posts

PostPosted: Wednesday, 28.Sep.2011 11:14    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Here follows the press release from the Linux Foundation. Excerpt:
    LiMo Foundation and Linux Foundation Announce New Open Source Software Platform, Tizen™
    New cross-device and cross-architecture platform will drive standards-based web applications

September 27, 2011 – LONDON, ENGLAND and SAN FRANCISCO, USA – LiMo Foundation™ and The Linux Foundation today announced a new open source project, Tizen™, to develop a Linux-based device software platform. Hosted at The Linux Foundation, Tizen is a standards-based, cross-architecture software platform, which supports multiple device categories including smartphones, tablets, smart TVs, netbooks and in-vehicle infotainment systems. The initial release of Tizen is targeted for Q1 2012, enabling first devices to come to market in mid-2012.

Tizen combines the best open source technologies from LiMo and The Linux Foundation and adds a robust and flexible standards-based HTML5 and WAC web development environment within which device-independent applications can be produced efficiently for unconstrained cross-platform deployment. This approach leverages the robustness and flexibility of HTML5 which is rapidly emerging as a preferred application environment for mobile applications and the broad carrier support of the Wholesale Applications Community (WAC). Tizen additionally carries a state-of-the-art reference user interface enabling the creation of highly attractive and innovative user experience that can be further customized by operators and manufacturers.

“LiMo Foundation views Tizen as a well-timed step change which unites major mobile Linux proponents within a renewed ecosystem with an open web vision of application development which will help device vendors to innovate through software and liberalize access to consumers for developers and service providers,” said Morgan Gillis, Executive Director of LiMo Foundation. “LiMo will maintain its focus on providing the industry with a broadly backed vendor- and service-neutral ecosystem grounded in the spirit of open and unconstrained opportunity that is embodied by Linux.”

The mobile industry continues to embrace Linux and open source technologies as key factors in lowering device realization cost, increasing flexibility and improving time to market and it is expected that Tizen will further enhance these effects due to its cross-category reach and strong focus on open standards.

“The Linux Foundation is pleased to host the Tizen platform,” said Jim Zemlin, Executive Director of The Linux Foundation. “Open source platforms such as Tizen are good for Linux as they further its adoption across device categories. We look forward to collaborating with the LiMo Foundation and its members on this project.”

To participate in the project, please go Tizen.org.
--
Bent Laursen
BentL

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
482 in 354 posts

PostPosted: Wednesday, 28.Sep.2011 12:36    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

From the Developers | Tizen page:
    Developers
    Tizen will provide a robust and flexible environment for application developers, based on HTML5 and Wholesale Applications Community (WAC). With HTML5's robust capabilities and cross platform flexibility, it is rapidly becoming the preferred development environment for mobile apps and services. The Tizen platform supports Web applications (HTML, Javascript, CSS) and provides a rich set of services that include the Application Framework, along with Content, Location, Messaging, Multimedia, Network, Social, and System services.

Our tools will help developers use HTML5 and related web technologies to write applications that run across multiple device segments and software platforms. These applications can then be distributed in stores, which provide service providers and OEMs with a flexible and customizable storefront and a common Tizen application catalog. In addition, developers can take advantage of broad distribution of their apps on a wide range of devices coming to market that will support the standards based HTML5 and WAC application framework.

The Tizen developer website will be available soon providing more details, resources, guidelines, tools, and tutorials, along with developer tools.
So the application framework will be based on HTML5 and WAC. This means that the Qt framework will be dropped.

--
Bent Laursen
kinggo
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Thanks received:
6 in 5 posts
Thanks given: 7

Phone: N900, htc Hero, SE P990, SE P900

PostPosted: Wednesday, 28.Sep.2011 14:29    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

what a pile of [put your favorite swearword here] Rolling Eyes
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1092 in 696 posts
Thanks given: 286

Phone: Jolla, BB Z10, BB Passport, N950, N900, N8, Nexus 4 (Ubuntu Touch), Lumia 920

PostPosted: Wednesday, 28.Sep.2011 16:01    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

This is just hopeless, to call it nicely.

No, not the project itself, but switching it for the THIRD time. Maemo & Moblin -> MeeGo -> Tizen.... this way it loses all credibility in the eyes of end customers. Who will want to wait for Tizen (gosh, another silly name!) after Maemo and MeeGo had been killed one after another in one year time? Who'll believe that Tizen will last any longer and will ship on more than one smartphone, unlike Maemo (N900) or MeeGo (N9, actually not even fully MeeGo).

I think I'll give up. As much as I consider Maemo/MeeGo superior over other platforms, I'm too tired spending my time on supporting platforms and manufacturers who don't have a clue of what to do with their systems after one year time.

Oh, and a small suggestion to those who invent those funny names. Maybe a more suitable name for the system would be simply a number, i.e. "One". This way the next year they could call it "Two", then "Three", then "Four" and at least it would have any sort of continuity...
naytsyrhc
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
43 in 43 posts
Thanks given: 114

Phone: History [/// R380s, SE P800, SE P910i, SE M600i, Nokia E71, Nokia N9, Jolla 1], Current [Sony Xperia X Compact SFOS]

PostPosted: Wednesday, 28.Sep.2011 17:35    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

You name it Michal. I thought the same.

It's really a pitty. And going for HTML5? I don't know. Just because "everbody" seems to go for it now on mobile devices?

I'd have loved to get a N9 and use MeeGo. But now I'm almost about to give up on it as well.
ceroberts75
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
79 in 45 posts
Thanks given: 40

Phone: n9, n900, e90, 5800, e71-1, 9500, 7710, 2660

PostPosted: Wednesday, 28.Sep.2011 18:01    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

now that samsung is involved...i expect them to do way more then nokia did with it.

samsung usually spits out units about as fast as my kids fill diapers...and since they started using android and not thier proprietary os on the devices...they work and last much longer.

being such a HUGE and proud Korean company, i dont think that they will want this ability to create a seperate OS be stenchy.
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1092 in 696 posts

Phone: Jolla, BB Z10, BB Passport, N950, N900, N8, Nexus 4 (Ubuntu Touch), Lumia 920

PostPosted: Wednesday, 28.Sep.2011 21:19    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

It's really a pitty. And going for HTML5? I don't know. Just because "everbody" seems to go for it now on mobile devices?

Going HTML5 did not require changing names or platforms, not at all. And they say that they want to provide in Tizen a smooth transition for current MeeGo users and developers, which probably means that it will retain support for Qt, GTK, and so on, with actually the ADDITION of HTML5 on top of it. This could have been easily introduced as MeeGo 1.5, 2.0, whatever, and not an entirely new platform.

The actual reason was that companies behind LiMo most probably didn't agree to accept MeeGo as the name of their "new" common system, so something new had to be invented. Just like with Maemo and Moblin a year ago. Particular ambitions over common sense.

Quote:

I'd have loved to get a N9 and use MeeGo. But now I'm almost about to give up on it as well.

Well, as I said, Tizen will be more just a new name, not really a new system. So it does not really change much when it comes to the N9... On the contrary, Samsung's participation in the project probably means an ARM version of Tizen for handsets, and not only an x86 version as it would have been the case if only Intel was involved. This way that Tizen may actually have more in common with Harmattan than Intel's very own MeeGo.

Quote:

now that samsung is involved...i expect them to do way more then nokia did with it.

For some time, Samsung has been looking to me as a much more reliable brand than Nokia. Not just in mobile phones, but in lots of other products. They keep developing bada, they have quite a consistent and nice platform for connected TVs and Bluray players (SmartTV) and so on. If they start doing something, they just keep doing it until they succeed. Unlike Nokia.

So Samsung behind this "new project" may actually be the best news.
dannycamps
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
86 in 57 posts
Thanks given: 9

Phone: Nokia 9000i, Nokia 9290, Nokia 9500, Nokia E90, Nokia N900, Nokia E7, Nokia Lumia 920, Nokia Lumia 1520

PostPosted: Thursday, 29.Sep.2011 16:46    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

I have a lot to say about this but I think I will do it in shorter bursts rather than one long post.

First off, if anyone ever wanted to look at the reason why Linux never has and never will succeed on the desktop platform all they need to do is reference this mess.

So to recap - Nokia built Maemo and Intel built Moblin. Neither one was pushed particularly hard but at least Nokia had a few devices out.

Nokia decided (after the N900) that Maemo was not the way to go and looked to merge with Moblin thus creating MeeGo. Nokia pulled out of MeeGo to get in bed with Microsoft only staying long enough to allow Intel use of some patented technology. Intel later decides that they really have no business making cell phones so they join up with Samsung to essentially scrap more than 8 years of Nokia's efforts and create Tizan.

What a complete mess this is. I am calling it right now - Meego/Tizan/whatever will NEVER be a major player in the cell phone market.

Now on to technology:

HTML5?? Seriously?? That's like taking the latest buzzword and saying that they are going to build a platform out of it just to sound cool. "Hey - check out my new operating system - it's built using 'Facebook' technology"

HTML5 by the very definition is a markup language. While it is maturing and looking more flexible - it is incapable by design of doing low-end system calls. The technology is still years away from being anywhere near able to do what native applications can do. You can look at any number of mobile frameworks or web runtimes and see that this is true.

Let's also not forget that HTML5 runs in a browser which calls performance into question. Hey on that note, didn't the EU sue Microsoft several years ago for making their OS dependent on a web browser?

More on this later...
BentL

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
482 in 354 posts

PostPosted: Thursday, 29.Sep.2011 17:32    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

There is a new 26 min long video on Youtube about Tizen.

Video: AppUp Elements Keynote on Tizen and HTML5

--
Bent Laursen
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1092 in 696 posts

PostPosted: Thursday, 29.Sep.2011 23:56    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

First off, if anyone ever wanted to look at the reason why Linux never has and never will succeed on the desktop platform all they need to do is reference this mess.

Agreed. And this has to have something to do with the state of minds of people behind this, or actually this whole "open source" concept. They think differently than everyone else, they don't know how to properly COMMECIALIZE a product. They think they have unlimited time, no need to hurry, they can constantly change and improve their products and actually never achieve any final stage, as they don't actually feel the need to. They do it for fun, not for business. And while it is maybe a truly enjoyable experience for them, for end users waiting for their products it is actually a nightmare.

Let me give an example from a slightly different area, but actually pretty similar and suffering from the same "phenomenon": there is a project called Natami - a hardware reconstruction of the Amiga computer, with new and much improved (yet fully backwards compatible) custom chips ("coprocessors") and 68k processor implemented in an FPGA as a softcore. It is a BRILLIANT idea, reviving the true classic Amiga (rather than another clone based on PowerPC hardware), fully hardware based (with no software emulation), bringing today's performance to Amiga while preserving full compatibility with classic hardware and existing AmigaOS 1.x-3.x software.

So what is the problem? Time. These BRILLIANT guys have been working on it for years. OK, it's not an easy thing to do, it takes time. Yes, but for nearly two years they have the hardware actually ready, with handmade mainboards working really beautifully. For almost two years they've been.... polishing and improving it, and the end of it still isn't even on the horizon. Surely not this year, maybe in 2012, or maybe not. But as I wrote, they do it mainly for fun (and satisfaction of achieving perfect results), so they don't feel any pressure to act faster. And this way, I'm afraid, the project will never succeed. Even though being FPGA based, it could be easily upgraded via a firmware update to fix all existing bugs and provide optimizations, so there's actually no need to further delay hardware shipments to end users, who could simply download a file and reflash the FPGA once further improvements and enhancements appear. But no, for two years the only persons who have access to Natamis are the developers themselves, and everone else is only fed with posts and pictures showing how great the equipment works.

During that time, others have created the Mimimig (Amiga 500 clone in an FPGA) and recently someone else has created an FPGA clone of the Amiga 1200 with full AGA chipset (FPGA Arcade) so if those Natami guys keep delaying finalizing of their project and won't start any shipments, chances are that very soon everyone interested in buying a classic Amiga clone will buy the FPGA Arcade and there will be no one left to buy the Natami. This way such a MARVELLOUS project will get murdered by its own creators, spending years on trying to make it perfect while that handful of remaining Amiga fans get old and die while waiting for the Natami to start shipping.

Same for this Maemo/MeeGo/Tizen/Whatever stuff. Instead of releasing phones and continuing to improve the system while the hardware is already available and user base keeps growing, they keep changing names, UIs, application frameworks, endlessly, while those few remaining die-hard Maemo fans finally slowly get annoyed and buy themselves Android phones. Totally unlike Apple, who had no problems with releasing the first iPhone in an ALMOST FEATURELESS state (no MMS, no video calls, no multitasking, no camera, no copy&paste, no SMS confirmation, and so on) and then kept releasing upgrades and improvements, WHILE having the customer base constantly growing. And the same for Google - let's remind ourselves how hopeless the very first releases of Android OS were. Yet they kept improving it, WHILE already shipping hardware, more and more of it. And that's the ONLY way to go to achieve any success, and not spending years on changing and improving the project before starting any deliveries, if at all.

Quote:

HTML5 by the very definition is a markup language. While it is maturing and looking more flexible - it is incapable by design of doing low-end system calls. The technology is still years away from being anywhere near able to do what native applications can do.

I'm sure they know it, and hence all that silly talking about "smooth transition" from MeeGo, which will most probably actually mean that Qt and GTK will still be there, and HTML5 will just be an addition to it, allowing for homegrown "programmers" to create tens of thousands of sh*t-worth so called "applications" mainly consisting of RSS feeds, the same as what now fills up the Ovi store (created using the "Ovi Store App Wizard" in 3 minutes) making it hard to find any real applications among that pile of mess. While adding software to my MeeGo Software catalog, I have to spend more time on having to SKIP hundreds of such rubbish than on adding the actual apps.

I'm sorry to say it, but something tells me that as long as those mobile Linux projects are hosted by Linux Foundation and thus influenced by this "open source" mentality (it's a simplification, but I hope you get what I mean) instead of being FULLY controlled and driven by a commercial, money hungry company similar to Apple or Google, it will never succeed, nor even properly start, always remaining in an alpha/beta stage. And in this regard, Samsung's participation in this project seems to be the only hope, if they only have enough to say.

The following users say THANKS! for this post: joksanen, Camelus

mikkolo
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
42 in 14 posts
Thanks given: 54

Phone: Nokia e90(2007), e61, Nokia 6680

PostPosted: Friday, 30.Sep.2011 01:25    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Very true Dannycamps, Michal

It's funny how quickly my thoughts re Samsung (though curiously not LG apparently) seem to be materialising!
As I stated in the earlier post, Samsung seems to be the only Company with the "heft" to really take a platform by the scruff of the neck and inject enough value into it to make it successful. They have the broad engineering resources, the cross-polination of technologies, economies of scale and history of sensble OS agnoticism - read maintain a MANAGEABLE basket of OS' unlike e.g. Motorola of old.
For myself, I look at the HTC Titan, Samsung SGS2 LTE HD and others and shake my head wistfully at what MAemo could have become with a little focus from the Nokia whackjobs.

Imagine if instead of the timidity ("stage 5 of 6") and infighting pandered to by OPK, he'd championed a Jobs-like focus on Maemo - we could have been enjoying a device with the N9 SoC, SDRAM, radio, GPU etc in 2009 even if the capacitive screen was still not supported. Indeed, looking at Android's attempt to unify the handset, tablet and possible cloud-/netbook OS' into one via Ice Cream Sandwich one wonders if the solution to a lot of Nokia's floundering couldn't have been sidestepped.
If e.g. Maemo5/5.x had mandated a WSVGA/ netbook resolution i.e. 1024 x 600 pixels and a screen size of 4.5 to 5-inches screen size, the truncated keyboard would simply not have occurred. The massive amount of time-wasting in creating seperate "Experiences" for Handset and Netbook/Tablet would also not have been required . Maemo5 was ALWAYS a desktop-centric/ "power users'" OS that had integrated phone support rather than a smartphone OS - all it required was full portrait orientation support ( including portrait onscreen keyboard) and the rest of the utilities added : MMS, driving Maps voice-guidance, etc.
It has been evident for a few years now that there has been a lot of space wasted by inordinately large bezels and kudos need to be offered to HTCstarting with the HD2 of 2009 and latterly Samsung for beginning to change this : the Titan measures 130.7 x 70.6 x 97 mm and yet squeezes in a 4.7- inch screen.
Samsung is releasing both a 129.7 x 68.8 x 95 mm handset encompassing a 4,65-inch 16:9 HD screen of 1280 x 720 pixels to complement it's larger squarer Galaxy Note .
Simply stretching the N810 by 40 mm and reducing the bezels (not required by the OS!) could have liberated a 4.8- inch screened handset that would have been a flatter, wider E90 slider and utilising it's (E90's) keyboard!
The screen could even have been supplied by the very same LG that produce Apple's iPhone 4 screen as it has the EXACT same number of pixels (960 x 640 = 1024 x 600 = 614,400 pixels). This would have been both easier (and cheaper) for LG to produce as there is the extra 1.3-inches in which to fit the matrix and would have meant that Nokia would then have had the option of going capacitive or retaining resistive BUT also enjoying all the IPS LCD advantages in sunlight legibility, colour accuracy, etc whilst awaiting Samsung's ability to produce larger-sized AMOLED screens.
This Tizen initiative will truly have a HUGE mountain to climb in capturing mind-share and one has to hope that they DON'T deprecate Qt, just add HTML5 to the mix whilst making sure that developers have easy and free access to all the tools.
One is reminded of the old Army dictum that 'any plan, however poorly concieved, is better implemented than none at all'. ALL one can hope is that having witnessed the model of" release then quickly iterate" as exemplified by Google in the case of Android (ONLY 3 years since the T-Mobile G1 was announced to date!!!) and get the licensees releasing handsets.
If they could stick with the Debian base (already compiled for both ARM and x86) and app packaging and utilise as much of MeeGo APIs as posible, they could then do a Google and create a 'base' UI of at least WSVGA resolution and allow licensees to "skin" it a la HTC Sense, Samsung TouchWiz rather than trying to go the MS route. I specically mention WSVGA as a standard because I feel that anything much higher than this will take the OS too far into the desktop space (regardless of Intel's preferences!) wher MS will steal its lunch. On the other hand, anything less will risk it being left behind very quickly and opening the door to fragmentation issues.
Intel could then focus on its *own* raison d'etre of actually producing SoCs WITHOUT holding the platform to ransom if it continues to have issues re performance to battery life considerations versus multicore ARM SoCs.
Consumers will only be interested if there are actual HANDSETS available to purchase; the other elements of the ecosystem can be created later or in parallel but actual product is job No.1.
kinggo
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Thanks received:
6 in 5 posts
Thanks given: 7

Phone: N900, htc Hero, SE P990, SE P900

PostPosted: Friday, 30.Sep.2011 10:52    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

well, the only good (or positive thing) in this is Samsung. I don't like their products much but now finally there is one HW manufacturer in the game which is actually capable to make a device really quick or maybe just adopt some of existing platforms to work with tizen.

About linux in generally I think that canonical way is the best way to do it. It also has many wrongs and things that are questionable but at least they push out new versions every 6 months and they control the whole thing. Sometimes they break some stuff or create horror called unity but they have the idea and vision and they don't look back but try to fix things in the future releases. And the whole project is like 7 years old and progress is huge and visible. Nokia is/was in this linux thing twice longer with a lot more money and at the end they gave up on every thing they started. Rolling Eyes
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1092 in 696 posts

PostPosted: Friday, 30.Sep.2011 16:33    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

I don't mind the Linux Foundation controlling and developing the actual Linux. I only mean that platforms like MeeGo should be controlled by their actual makers. There should be a clearer distinction between development of the actual free, open source operating system, and commercial products based on it and their specific services. Otherwise, we get a lot of mess. For instance, even though the N9 already started shipping, there is still no official community repository for it, COBS is still kind of alpha stage, and so on. And I haven't seen anyone hurrying up to change it. Now it's way worse than how it looked on Maemo Fremantle, where at least all the repositories were up and running long before the N900 started shipping. But at that time Nokia apparently paid much more attention to it while now it's all in MeeGo guys' hands.

Android is also Linux based, but the actual platform is controlled and properly taken care of by Google, with results apparent to everyone.

The following users say THANKS! for this post: mikkolo, joksanen

naytsyrhc
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
43 in 43 posts
Thanks given: 114

Phone: History [/// R380s, SE P800, SE P910i, SE M600i, Nokia E71, Nokia N9, Jolla 1], Current [Sony Xperia X Compact SFOS]

PostPosted: Sunday, 06.Nov.2011 14:16    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

I don't agree to you Michal. At least not in all points. There is of course some trouble, if there is no profit-driven organisation behind the development of a product, but Linux itself is a proof that it is not always necessary in the first place.

I think the main problem for the special mobile phone/smartphone market is, that OS and devices are/were developed in bundle. What I mean is, that you could by any PC Hardware and buy any available OS or use Linux, but you can't buy a mobile phone and get the OS seperately. If you could, there may be a chance for multiple distributions of mobile linux systems without a big player behind. But the bundling of hardware and OS puts us back to the pre-MS-Windows era somehow.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> Tizen All times are GMT + 2 Hours

Go to page
1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic