MEEGO  SECTION
-My-MeeGo.com-
SOFTWARE STORECONTACT

My-Symbian.com Forums

My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo
Symbian & Linux based Communicator and Smartphone Info Center
The Oldest Symbian Community Website - Since 1999

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RulesRules   Log inLog in 
Lightweight, simplified version of the forumsMobile version
SymPy (Computer Algebra System) v0.7.1 (July 2011)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> Maemo 5 Fremantle
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rcolistete
DEVELOPER
DEVELOPER

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
11 in 10 posts
Thanks given: 3

Phone: Nokia N9, Nokia N900, Nokia N810, was N95, E63, 9500, N-Gage, 9290, 7650

PostPosted: Wednesday, 19.Oct.2011 15:09    Post subject: SymPy (Computer Algebra System) v0.7.1 (July 2011)   Reply with quote   

SymPy is a a Computer Algebra System (CAS) written in pure Python.

See the SymPy sites :
SymPy.org
SymPy Google Project
SymPy documentation
"Plot" and "preview" do not work on SymPy for Maemo 4 & 5.

SymPy v0.7.1 (July 2011) was released to Maemo 4 (Diablo) and Maemo 5 (Fremantle) and is now in extras repository for Maemo 4 & 5.

Nokia N900 screenshots showing how to reproduce "Integral" calculations directly on SymPy (but "Integral" has many other features/options than the example shown below and is a lot easier to use if you only want to calculate integrals with SymPy) :

Install & use on Maemo 5 :
Enable extras-testing or extras-devel repository, search for SymPy in the application manager and install "SymPy interactive shell", it will install SymPy, isympy (X-terminal script) and its icon. SymPy takes about 18.5 MB after install but it is optified. isympy (and its icon) launches (after about 6s) ipython (or python) interactive shell and loads SymPy with some initialization (of variables and output type).

Please help promote SymPy shell and documentation to extras repository by voting in :
SymPy interactive shell 0.7.1-fremantle1
SymPy documentation and examples

SymPy is also used by "Integral", "Derivative" and "Limit".

I will also try to release SymPy to Harmattan (Nokia N9/N950).

Last edited by rcolistete on Wednesday, 02.Nov.2011 04:32; edited 2 times in total
rcolistete
DEVELOPER
DEVELOPER

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
11 in 10 posts

PostPosted: Tuesday, 01.Nov.2011 18:12    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

SymPy (python-sympy package) is now in extras repository for Maemo 5.

But "SymPy interactive shell" (python-sympy-ui) and "SymPy documentation and examples" (python-sympy-doc) are still in extras-testing for Maemo 5, waiting for the votes to be promoted to extras.
rcolistete
DEVELOPER
DEVELOPER

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
11 in 10 posts

PostPosted: Wednesday, 02.Nov.2011 04:32    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Corrected the time to load SymPy, it is faster due to byte compiling of Python files.

On Nokia N900 @ 600 MHz, it takes 6 s using SymPy icon or 3 s using "from sympy import *" in Python/iPython interactive shell.
rcolistete
DEVELOPER
DEVELOPER

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
11 in 10 posts

PostPosted: Saturday, 12.Nov.2011 16:35    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

On Maemo 5, SymPy icon and isympy script use the iPython shell, a lot better than the Python shell.

Advantages of iPython shell, :
- tab (or ctrl+i) completion for objects;
- input history navigation using up and down arrows;
- search input history by typing partial input then up/down arrow to show matching lines, or ctrl+r to have a serch prompt;
- input line n can be retrieved using '_in', 'In[n]', '_ih[n]', and _i, _ii, _iii to access the previous, next previous and next-next previous inputs;
- output line n can be retrieved using '_n', 'Out[n]', '_oh[n]', and _, __, ___ access the previous, next previous and next-next previous outputs;
- search history navigation
- information about objects using '?word' or 'word?', full information with '??word' or 'word??';
- magic command system, like '%run file.py', '%pwd';
- run system commands with '!' as prefix, e.g., '!ls".

More details in :
iPython interactive tutorial
iPython Interactive Reference
Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> Maemo 5 Fremantle All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic