MEEGO  SECTION
-My-MeeGo-
SOFTWARE STORECONTACT

My-Symbian.com Forums

My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo
Symbian & Linux based Communicator and Smartphone Info Center
The Oldest Symbian Community Website - Since 1999

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RulesRules   Log inLog in 
Lightweight, simplified version of the forumsMobile version
Opera Mobile 11

Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> Maemo 5 Fremantle
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BentL

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
483 in 355 posts
Thanks given: 114

Phone: N9, N900, E90, 9300i, 9300, 9210

PostPosted: Tuesday, 22.Mar.2011 16:53    Post subject: Opera Mobile 11   Reply with quote   

Opera Software has released Opera Mobile 11, see press release. Excerpt:
    Debuting all new Opera Mini 6 and Opera Mobile 11
    Can’t get no satisfaction from the mobile Web? Then you will fall head over heels for the new Opera Mini and Opera Mobile browsers launched today, now also available to cherish on tablets. Opera’s mobile browsers are the world’s most popular, the weapon of choice for 100 million people worldwide, used on more than 3000 devices. If you still haven’t found what you are looking for, there is an Opera out there available for you. Download to your phone from: m.opera.com and don't stop til you get enough.

What’s new, pussycat?

Smooth operator
    Improved scrolling, panning and zooming make the Opera Mini and Opera Mobile browsers the sweetest thing to hit mobile devices since the Opera Mini 5 browser.

Pinch-to-zoom
    Feel free to twist and shout now that Opera’s features include true pinch-to-zoom on devices that support pinch.

Sharing
    When you find something, let it be ... shared. The new versions feature a share button, so you can easily post, Tweet (twiddly-diddly-deet), or just shout it out loud on Facebook, vKontakte or My Opera.

Now also optimized for tablets
    Is it any wonder? Opera for tablets brings smooth browsing to your tablet PC with a brand new interface that is sure to rock you like a hurricane.

What we say
    “If you’ve lost that loving feeling for the Web on your phone or tablet, don’t let it bring you down. Just try one of our browsers,” said Lars Boilesen, CEO, Opera Software. “The sun always shines on TV, but the Opera browser shines on more than 3000 devices.”

Who are you? The difference between the Opera Mini and Opera Mobile browsers

• The Opera Mini browser uses Opera’s servers to shake, rattle and roll webpages down to a tenth of their original size before sending them to your phone. Because the data transferred is smaller, pages arrive faster than the speed of sound. On a pay-as-you-go plan, the Opera Mini browser dramatically cuts the price you pay, because the data you use is greatly reduced. The Opera Mini browser makes any device Internet savvy.
    • The Opera Mobile browser gives you the whole of the moon on smartphones and tablets. The strange magic of HTML5? Check. Full, high fidelity web browsing? Check. Sharing the same Opera Presto browser engine found in Opera’s desktop browser, the Opera Mobile browser is the premier option for fast, powerful browsing when on unlimited Internet data plans or Wi-Fi.

Availability

• The Opera Mini 6 browser brings the fireworks to J2ME, Android, BlackBerry and Symbian/S60 phones.
    • The Opera Mobile 11 browser sings hallelujah on the Android, Symbian, Windows 7 desktop (labs release), MeeGo (labs release) and Maemo (labs release) platforms.

What you waiting for? Walk this way with your mobile device: m.opera.com.
--
Bent Laursen
BentL

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
483 in 355 posts

PostPosted: Tuesday, 22.Mar.2011 17:07    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Opera Labs also has an announcement of Opera Mobile 11 for Maemo, see article. Excerpt:
    Opera Mobile 11 for Maemo, MeeGo and Windows.
    Today we are launching final versions of Opera Mobile 11 for Android and Symbian/S60 as well as Mini 6 for various platforms. We are also making available builds of Opera Mobile 11 for Maemo, MeeGo and Windows here on labs.opera.com. The MeeGo and Windows builds come with our new tablet optimized UI.

Download on your device now from m.opera.com, or use the following direct links to the Windows, MeeGo (generic) and MeeGo (WeTab) versions.

On MeeGo, you may need to install the downloaded RPM package by running "rpm -i " as root in a terminal window. On the WeTab a reboot is required before the Opera icon becomes visible.

The recommended way to install on Maemo is to use the Application manager and enable the extras-testing repository.

Tap to zoom has been changed from single-click to double-click. You can now click links without having to zoom in first.

So what else is new? A lot:

Features

• Modernized new user interface
    • New UI optimized for tablet devices
    • Major improvements in panning and zooming
    • Faster framerates
    • No checkerboard, ever
    • Text stays sharp during zooming
    • Improved text-wrap on zoom
    • Incremental zooming for devices w/o multi-touch
    • Buttons for jumping to the top/bottom of the page
    • Share URL on social networks, email etc
    • Improved Geolocation support
    • Session restore
    • Rendering

Presto 2.7.81

• JIT for greatly improved Javascript performance (was supported in 10.1 on some platforms)
    • Application Cache
    • WebStorage and WebDatabase
    • DOM touch and multi-touch events
    • HTML5 Audio/Video
    • Support for CSS @viewport
    • Improved support for meta viewport
    • Support for Web Open Font Format (WOFF)
    • Support for Arabic ligatures
    • Improved form fields skin
--
Bent Laursen

The following users say THANKS! for this post: spooley

spooley
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
4 in 1 posts
Thanks given: 1

Phone: Nokia N8 & N900, (formerly: Nokia E71 & N810, SE P990i, P900, P800, Nokia 6630, n70, 9210)

PostPosted: Wednesday, 23.Mar.2011 00:56    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Thank you for the heads-up on the availability of Opera for Maemo ... now installed and working nicely on my N810 and N8. Next step: the N900!

Simon.
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1098 in 699 posts
Thanks given: 286

Phone: Jolla, BB Z10, BB Passport, N950, N900, N8, Nexus 4 (Ubuntu Touch), Lumia 920

PostPosted: Wednesday, 23.Mar.2011 03:01    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

It's faster and more intuitive and reliable. Tapping links is no longer a problem - it's always recognized correctly. Just as the announcement says, I haven't seen the checkerboard even once. Zoom works more intelligently.

One thing I don't like about this new version is that new tabs aren't shown automatically as in the old version but opened in the background, so that it takes to manually bring them to the foregroud. I open a new page to see it, not to have it hidden somewhere and have to tap the screen multiple times to invoke it... I hope that this will be changed.

BTW. Another beta version has just appeared (the old one was 1-7, the new one is 1-8 ). It should appear in the Application Manager, or it can be installed from our Maemo Downloads.

The following users say THANKS! for this post: Rob1n

gymbo
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Thanks received:
7 in 5 posts
Thanks given: 495

Phone: Nokia 9500 (two, one still in use as GPS-navigator), E90 (two, one as spare music player! and the other wasn't repaired and "changed" to->) and E7

PostPosted: Wednesday, 23.Mar.2011 17:34    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Michal Jerz wrote:
One thing I don't like about this new version is that new tabs aren't shown automatically as in the old version but opened in the background, so that it takes to manually bring them to the foregroud. I open a new page to see it, not to have it hidden somewhere and have to tap the screen multiple times to invoke it... I hope that this will be changed.

I actually prefer that it opens in the background; I have a tendency to open a lot of new tabs from one tab, and then wait for them to load in the background anyway, which is a lot of key-presses if it opens in the foreground (still on E90, but now on my back-up-phone; the microphone failed Sad ). But it should have been a preference in settings or about:config...
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1098 in 699 posts

Phone: Jolla, BB Z10, BB Passport, N950, N900, N8, Nexus 4 (Ubuntu Touch), Lumia 920

PostPosted: Wednesday, 23.Mar.2011 17:54    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

But it should have been a preference in settings or about:config...

Yes, this way everyone could choose...
BentL

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
483 in 355 posts

PostPosted: Friday, 25.Mar.2011 16:51    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

ThinkDigit.com has a review of Opera Mobile 11, see:

http://www.thinkdigit.com/Mobiles-PDAs/Opera-Mobile-11-Review_6499.htm l

--
Bent Laursen
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1098 in 699 posts

PostPosted: Monday, 28.Mar.2011 17:58    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

I actually prefer that it opens in the background; I have a tendency to open a lot of new tabs from one tab, and then wait for them to load in the background anyway, which is a lot of key-presses if it opens in the foreground

But Opera 11 on the N900 does not load anything in the backgroud. It opens a new tab and WAITS until you switch to it, only then it loads the page....

I praised version 1-7, then I downloaded version 1-8 that appeared the same day, and I'm disappointed. Whereas version 1-7 worked really great, in v1-8 something has been changed that results in A LOT of accidental taps on links: when I want to just zoom in, or when I tap and hold to get the menu to open in new tab - the browser very often recognizes it as a short tap on a link and opens that page in the same tab. Quickly switching back is impossible, as the "Back arrow" works only when a page finishes loading. Quite annoying. I'll try to find version 1-7 and downgrade.

Other than that, the browser is very fast, I haven't seen checkerboard even just once. I just hope they'll add Flash support - it'd make it a complete solution and full MicroB replacement....
BentL

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
483 in 355 posts

PostPosted: Monday, 11.Apr.2011 08:58    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Opera has been updated to "Opera 11.0beta1-9". Previous version was "Opera 11.0beta1-8". So this is just a bug fix release.

--
Bent Laursen
prart
Forum Senior
Forum Senior

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
0 in 0 posts

Phone: N900, P900, P910i

PostPosted: Monday, 11.Apr.2011 11:28    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Changelog:
Quote:
Fix crash in the file and directory selector.
Don't capitalize first letter when typing passwords.
Improve handling of multi-line text fields.
Fix another potential black screen on startup bug.
Print startup diagnostic messages to console.
Prevent urlfilter from blocking everything.
Fix FTP download progress indicator.
Casanunda
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
52 in 48 posts
Thanks given: 326

Phone: n900, Jolla

PostPosted: Tuesday, 12.Apr.2011 10:54    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

Don't capitalize first letter when typing passwords.

ah, very good. That one was really annoying...

The following users say THANKS! for this post: whereweare

whereweare
My first post!
My first post!

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
1 in 1 posts

Phone: n900, n95

PostPosted: Wednesday, 27.Apr.2011 00:36    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Thank god for that update, we really needed it.. Confused

The following users say THANKS! for this post: nwit

Anagarika
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Thanks received:
0 in 0 posts
Thanks given: 4

Phone: Currently: HTC TyTn II, N900; Previously: M600i R6A16

PostPosted: Friday, 20.May.2011 12:40    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Michal Jerz wrote:

Actually I kinda like this behaviour. I open a forum, click on the links to thread for other tabs, continue to do so, until I am ok, then only I open the tabs ..
I hope this will never change .. Just another way of doing things Smile

Also, wish that they offer Java Support, so people with SUN Java SE can make this work, like what IceWeasel on Easy Debian does.
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1098 in 699 posts

PostPosted: Friday, 20.May.2011 17:17    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

Actually I kinda like this behaviour.

I might like it too, if not one problem connected with it. In many cases, page opened in such new tab (automatically sent to the background) somehow does not fully load until you switch to that tab - only then it gets fully loaded and one still has to wait for it.
BentL

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
483 in 355 posts

PostPosted: Wednesday, 02.Nov.2011 17:25    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Opera Software has released Opera Mobile 11.5, see this post for the Symbian release. From talk.maemo.org post:
    [Announce] Opera Mobile 11
    Hi Everyone,

Long time no see. I'm happy to tell you that Opera Mobile 11.5 for Maemo is now on it's way into the extras repository.

See the Opera Mobile blog for a list of new things in the 11.1 and 11.5 versions (not everything applies to Maemo though).

Specific to this version is a few new keyboard shortcuts:

• CTRL-E Activate search box
    • CTRL-I Zoom in
    • CTRL-O Zoom out
    • CTRL-B Go back in history
    • CTRL-F Go forward in history
    • CTRL-S Stop loading page
    • CTRL-R Reload page

P.S.
    For all you user agent changers, there is a new easy to use option in the advanced settings to mask as desktop Opera.
--
Bent Laursen
Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> Maemo 5 Fremantle All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic