MEEGO  SECTION
-My-MeeGo.com-
SOFTWARE STORECONTACT

My-Symbian.com Forums

My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo
Symbian & Linux based Communicator and Smartphone Info Center
The Oldest Symbian Community Website - Since 1999

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RulesRules   Log inLog in 
Lightweight, simplified version of the forumsMobile version
Limit - calculating mathematical limits

Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> Maemo 5 Fremantle
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rcolistete
DEVELOPER
DEVELOPER

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
11 in 10 posts
Thanks given: 3

Phone: Nokia N9, Nokia N900, Nokia N810, was N95, E63, 9500, N-Gage, 9290, 7650

PostPosted: Tuesday, 01.Nov.2011 18:19    Post subject: Limit - calculating mathematical limits   Reply with quote   

"Limit" is an easy to use free and open-source application to calculate mathematical limits with many features :

* symbolical and numerical calculation with arbitrary number of digits;
* 5 simplification methods for non-numerical results;
* option to show the calculation time;
* option to show the not calculated limit before the result;
* result with zoom levels and different colors;
* 7 output types : simple, bidimensional, typesetting, LaTeX, MathML, C and Fortran;
* copy&paste available in all entry fields and also in the result, allowing copying the result to anywhere;
* history and line completion editing in the expression.

See the Limit web site.

"Limit" runs on Maemo 4 (Nokia N800/N810, etc), Maemo 5 (Nokia N900) or any smartphone/tablet/computer where Python, SymPy and PyQt are available. Future versions will use PySide and QML.

SymPy is a computer algebra system (CAS) written in pure Python, it is free and open source project, see SymPy.org. SymPy last version (0.7.1, July 2011) is available for Maemo 4 (Diablo) and Maemo 5 (Fremantle). Look at SymPy topic in My-Maemo forum.

(23/10/2011)
Limit v1.0.0 is available for Maemo 5 (Fremantle) in the extras repository :
* 1st public release for Maemo 4 Diablo and Maemo 5 Fremantle on extras-devel/extras-testing/extras repository;
* using SymPy 0.7.1 (07/2011);
* time to load is approx. 15 seconds on Nokia N810 and 6 seconds on Nokia N900 @ 600 MHz.

Python, PyQt and SymPy will also be installed if not installed before.

"Limit" is small (42 KB) but it installs "SymPy" (about 18.5 MB after install, with .pyc compiled Python files). "Limit" and "SymPy" are optified on Maemo 5.

For Maemo 5 users, please help promote "Limit" (v1.0.0 promoted in 23/11/2011) to extras repository by voting in :
Limit 1.0.0-1fremantle1

See also "Integral" and "Derivative", which calculate mathematical integrals and derivatives :
Integral topic in My-Maemo forum
Integral in My-Maemo Software Catalog.
Derivative topic in My-Maemo forum
Derivative in My-Maemo Software Catalog.

Last edited by rcolistete on Thursday, 24.Nov.2011 03:39; edited 1 time in total
rcolistete
DEVELOPER
DEVELOPER

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
11 in 10 posts

PostPosted: Saturday, 12.Nov.2011 16:37    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

"Limit" calculates the bilateral limit but SymPy does just limit from the left or right. So for bilateral limit, limit from both directions are calculated and compared, if equal the bilateral limit exists or else does not exist. So this explain the bilateral limit calculation takes more time (i.e., double) than from the left or right.

SymPy sintax for limit of 1/x when x approaches 0 from the right (default direction) :
>>> limit(1/x,x,0)
>>> limit(1/x,x,0,dir='+')
which is infinity. From the left :
>>> limit(1/x,x,0,dir='-')
yields - infinity.

Using SymPy directly is useful when a sequence of calculations is needed. Because "Limit" is restricted to just calculate limits with many simplify, output, etc, options.
rcolistete
DEVELOPER
DEVELOPER

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
11 in 10 posts

PostPosted: Thursday, 24.Nov.2011 03:40    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Limit is now promoted to extras repository, thanks for the votes.

The following users say THANKS! for this post: kapr73

Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> Maemo 5 Fremantle All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic