MEEGO  SECTION
-My-MeeGo.com-
SOFTWARE STORECONTACT

My-Symbian.com Forums

My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo
Symbian & Linux based Communicator and Smartphone Info Center
The Oldest Symbian Community Website - Since 1999

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RulesRules   Log inLog in 
Lightweight, simplified version of the forumsMobile version
the micro usb port came off my n900 !

Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> Maemo 5 Fremantle
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stubble
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
0 in 0 posts
Thanks given: 1

Phone: 9500, E90 E72. N900

PostPosted: Monday, 19.Dec.2011 22:51    Post subject: the micro usb port came off my n900 !   Reply with quote   

hi all...

i had these strange charging issues with my n900 since a week. the phone was not charging when i inserted the charger. its only when i made a downward pressure on the charger..it would charge.

i guessed its an issue with the usb post on my phone.. today morning when i pulled out the chrager out of my phone the whole usb port came out !

i took it to nokia priority care center to get it repaired.. they said they couldnt do it...

dont know what to do ?

is it repairable ? do we get new micro usb ports ? and how to fix them ?

any help is appriciated..

thanks
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1074 in 682 posts
Thanks given: 285

Phone: Jolla, BB Z10, BB Passport, N950, N900, N8, Nexus 4 (Ubuntu Touch), Lumia 920

PostPosted: Tuesday, 20.Dec.2011 01:51    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

I guess it would be extremely difficult because it is a multilayer PCB... Under warranty, Nokia would probably replace the whole PCB. The question is if they still have some N900 PCBs as spare parts. Probably yes, because some operators and stores still sell the N900, with Nokia warranty. Maybe they have a limited number of PCBs and they keep them for warranty repairs...

Now that our N900s get old, I think everyone should open their N900 *before* the USB port gets broken and use some strong glue to properly fix it...
lastninja
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
3 in 3 posts
Thanks given: 0

Phone: Motorola A920 / Motorola A925 / Nokia N900

PostPosted: Wednesday, 28.Dec.2011 17:28    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

if its unrepairable you will become dependent on external battery chargers, as well as bluetooth/wifi/microsd for transfering media and backupdata between computer and phone. Sad
stubble
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
0 in 0 posts

PostPosted: Wednesday, 28.Dec.2011 21:52    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

guess what.. i met a person which does mobile phone repairs.. he said that its a small problem..

he just opened up my phone and just soldered the new port to it... just like that... moreover the port was from a samsung phone.....!!

went home and checked..all fine.

wow ! got my lifeline (n900) back..

thanks all
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1074 in 682 posts

Phone: Jolla, BB Z10, BB Passport, N950, N900, N8, Nexus 4 (Ubuntu Touch), Lumia 920

PostPosted: Thursday, 29.Dec.2011 00:13    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

I'm glad to hear that! It's good to hear that the connector is fixable, maybe it's on the part of the PCB that isn't multilayer...

The two N900s I own have developed a different problem: it looks that the capacitor (or battery, or whatever is used) that keeps the realtime clock and its memory powered when the main battery is removed, is now dead. If I remove the battery and don't put it back within some 2-3 seconds the clock and date gets reset. I need to be really quick when I change batteries...
stubble
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
0 in 0 posts

PostPosted: Friday, 30.Dec.2011 22:37    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Michal Jerz wrote:
I'm glad to hear that! It's good to hear that the connector is fixable, maybe it's on the part of the PCB that isn't multilayer...

The two N900s I own have developed a different problem: it looks that the capacitor (or battery, or whatever is used) that keeps the realtime clock and its memory powered when the main battery is removed, is now dead. If I remove the battery and don't put it back within some 2-3 seconds the clock and date gets reset. I need to be really quick when I change batteries...

i have the exact same problem..!! i thought this behaviour was normal...
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1074 in 682 posts

PostPosted: Saturday, 31.Dec.2011 06:33    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

No. In the past that capacitor (or whatever it is) lasted much longer. I never measured the time, but I was able to take out the battery, open the other phone (which I use as a charger Wink ), take out its battery, and replace it into the N900. I'm sure it lasted for at least several minutes.

Now I need to do it within 1-2 seconds max, or else the clock gets reset.

One of my N900s developed this problem about a year ago, and the other one only recently.
pvanbeek
Site supporter
Site supporter

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
2 in 2 posts
Thanks given: 77

Phone: N9 N900 formerly P990i, P800 6600

PostPosted: Sunday, 01.Jan.2012 01:56    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

stubble wrote:
[...]

Me too - haven't benchmarked but its certainly less than 10 secs between taking out and replacing battery before I have to re-enter the system time.
VaZso
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
0 in 0 posts

Phone: N900

PostPosted: Sunday, 29.Jan.2012 00:21    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

There is a small battery cell inside the phone, which powers RTC when there is no battery inserted under the back cover.

(Other phones are also using this method.)

When the internal battery cell gets old, the phone losts the ability to hold date/time when no battery inserted... so it is discharged completely.
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1074 in 682 posts

PostPosted: Sunday, 29.Jan.2012 03:05    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Some devices use a capacitor instead of battery. I guess it's a longer lasting solution.

Anyway, the RTC battery dying in the N900 after just two years is a bad joke. I know people who still own Amiga computers with RTC battery and in many cases it still holds power after 20 years...
VaZso
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
0 in 0 posts

PostPosted: Sunday, 29.Jan.2012 11:06    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

I guess Amiga had a bigger battery cell inside or a battery built in a really big, black RTC box.

Like the motherboards today usually have CR2032 batteries inside, in a phone, there is much more less room for it.
I don't know its type, but similar the ones in small woman watches.

So it is a lot smaller one.

I had similar batteries in my HTC phone and also in Nokie 6230i, which all lost the ability to hold the time by now.

Edit:
Old computers usually had rechargeable batteries, which was able to hold charge for a short time after several years, but there are also some computers with built-in capacitor for this purpose (3V 1F for example), but it is a more expensive solution and also they are not small things.
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1074 in 682 posts

PostPosted: Sunday, 29.Jan.2012 18:30    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Quote:

I guess Amiga had a bigger battery cell inside or a battery built in a really big

Amiga had one of those 'pill' type CR/LR batteries. Sure, it was much bigger than what a smartphone could fit, but I guess that the RTC chip of a personal computer from the '80s was consuming much more energy than that of a 2009 smartphone - it's a difference of several generations in IC technology and I guess an order of magnitude difference in power consumption...

Anyway, leaving comparisons with 20 year old computers aside, the N900 (or actually two of them) is the only device I own that has this problem. I still have some older devices (e.g. N810 tablet, 5800 XpressMusic) and they're fine. And even an ancient N80 (2006 or so) that I recently reflashed for someone was still holding its time with the battery removed.

So N900's RTC batteries must have been of worse quality...
VaZso
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
0 in 0 posts

PostPosted: Sunday, 29.Jan.2012 19:50    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

When I first met a little battery cell in a phone I was really surprised and somewhat disappointed.

It was a Nokia 6230i phone. Also, I saw the same solution in HTC Kaiser (TyTN II) and also in HTC Touch 3G.
I saw also other phones that using this method, but I don't sure their exact type/model.

As far as I remember, my 6230i could hold date/time when it was three years old... I really don't like this solution, since when I disassembled that phone then, I could see the battery cell was in really bad condition.
However, it is in use by now, just its internal battery is dead.

Anyway, the battery may be found in this picture (above vibration motor): http://maemo.cloud-7.de/Gallery-N900-exploded/n900_11.jpeg
Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> Maemo 5 Fremantle All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic