MEEGO  SECTION
-My-MeeGo.com-
SOFTWARE STORECONTACT

My-Symbian.com Forums

My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo
Symbian & Linux based Communicator and Smartphone Info Center
The Oldest Symbian Community Website - Since 1999

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RulesRules   Log inLog in 
Lightweight, simplified version of the forumsMobile version
N9500. What to subtitute?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> Symbian OS Series 80 Communicators
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kitravel
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
0 in 0 posts
Thanks given: 0

Phone: 9110, 9210, 9500, Omnia i900

PostPosted: Monday, 13.Feb.2012 19:28    Post subject: N9500. What to subtitute?   Reply with quote   

My 9500 still works fine, but is begining to fall to bits. Is the E7 the best up to date substitute? Dont want windows, have an omnia i900. OK but not as 'smooth' as symbian, Any advice gratefully received.
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1092 in 696 posts
Thanks given: 286

Phone: Jolla, BB Z10, BB Passport, N950, N900, N8, Nexus 4 (Ubuntu Touch), Lumia 920

PostPosted: Monday, 13.Feb.2012 22:21    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

I'd suggest that you take a look at the Maemo 5 based Nokia N900. Nothing else comes as close to what Series 80 used to offer, as Maemo 5.

If I had to choose between the E7 and the N900 (which I still use) then I'd always choose the N900. Maybe it doesn't look as nice as the E7 but everything other than external look is simply better.

It is a 2 years old device, but it has a very strong community so it won't be dead anytime soon.
kitravel
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
0 in 0 posts
Thanks given: 0

Phone: 9110, 9210, 9500, Omnia i900

PostPosted: Tuesday, 14.Feb.2012 13:33    Post subject: Substitute for N9500   Reply with quote   

Smile Thanks for the advice. Will investigate.
cheers,
kitravel
ceroberts75
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
79 in 45 posts
Thanks given: 40

Phone: n9, n900, e90, 5800, e71-1, 9500, 7710, 2660

PostPosted: Tuesday, 14.Feb.2012 18:32    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

i was going to say the same thing!

and, being that you are still using a device from 2004 (almost 9 years), then id say you are still way ahead of the game and can get a good 7 years out of your new n900!

lol. Wink
reivaz
Site supporter
Site supporter

Please add your avatar!

Thanks received:
4 in 4 posts
Thanks given: 3

Phone: S80

PostPosted: Monday, 02.Sep.2013 18:52    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

I still use nokia 9500 Smile.

I have the n900 and a bb9900.

If I were you, I'd go for a bb9900.

s80 9500 is much more focused as a working device compared to n900.

regards
Woj2007
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
40 in 30 posts
Thanks given: 50

Phone: iPhone 5s, Nokia 808

PostPosted: Wednesday, 04.Sep.2013 21:27    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Michal Jerz wrote:
Maybe it doesn't look as nice as the E7 but everything other than external look is simply better.

It really depends what you use the phone for. I somehow couldn't get through with N900 in the long run. E7 serves me well. Here are some of the things I depicted in the other post:
"1. Battery life was relatively short, so for serious web browsing, video watching, it died much sooner that I was used to with the e71/72. Ok you can change battery, but this makes things complicated.
2. The idea of communicator was to use it either landscape or portrait depending on closed/open mode. With N900 I lacked therefore the possibility to text one-handed in portrait mode with hw keyboard closed. Ok, there is this CSSU but it makes things complicated.
3. E7 has a nice feature of 'default' numbers for sms, calls etc for each contact. I use it a lot. N900 displayed everything for the contact and made me choose each time, while I didn't really remember which number of two or three should I call for a given person.
4. N900 is bulky. ok, there is N950 but it makes things complicated.
5. Typing national characters with sym+arrow+character wasn't really comfortable.
6. Camera had this issue of producing photos with blue artefacts in low light. Ok, I used third party software for that, but this makes things complicated. And opening the camera lid was a stupid idea, and it made the back cover bulky.
7. No possibility of typing in laptop mode, as with 9300/e90. See point no 6 to discover the reason. Ok I used Noreve case as a stand, but this makes things complicated.
8. No final integration of social media or communicators with contacts.

So, overall small and subjective issues, but together they made N900 not the phone I felt comfortable with, as they were linked with featues I used often. When I got myself E7, somehow I sighed with relief. Good old Symbian and things I was used to. Simple, ready to use and not complicated. I am not a geek, so this is probably the reason.
Things that annoy me in E7 are: EDoF, no multitouch for virtual keyboard, no FM transmitter. "
dannycamps
Site supporter
Site supporter

Thanks received:
86 in 57 posts
Thanks given: 9

Phone: Nokia 9000i, Nokia 9290, Nokia 9500, Nokia E90, Nokia N900, Nokia E7, Nokia Lumia 920, Nokia Lumia 1520

PostPosted: Wednesday, 04.Sep.2013 21:46    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

Of the two (N900 and E7), I would opt for the E7 running Belle. I found it to be a better device overall (especially with Opera Mobile installed). The N900 is good as a tech-type device (i.e. if you are a system administrator), but as a general business-class device, it really is lacking in certain regards.

If you do choose the N900, be prepared to install the cSSU (community-based firmware updates) as they complete a lot of pieces left missing by Nokia.

Check out my articles on each of these devices if you would like a little more information:
The Nokia N900 - A perfect Mix of Form and Function
http://campusainteractive.wordpress.com/2010/02/12/the-nokia-n900-a-pe rfect-mix-of-form-and-function/

The Nokia E7: How Far Symbian has Come
http://campusainteractive.wordpress.com/2012/02/09/the-nokia-e7-how-fa r-symbian-has-come/

The Belle Refresh
http://campusainteractive.wordpress.com/2012/09/01/the-belle-refresh/

-DJ
Michal Jerz
Admin/Founder/Owner
Admin/Founder/Owner

Thanks received:
1092 in 696 posts
Thanks given: 286

Phone: Jolla, BB Z10, BB Passport, N950, N900, N8, Nexus 4 (Ubuntu Touch), Lumia 920

PostPosted: Thursday, 05.Sep.2013 06:40    Post subject:   Reply with quote   

The N900 was one of the phones I've used the longest. I got it in August 2009 and I've used it as my primary phone until early 2013, even long after I got the N950 & N9.

Yes, by default it lacks certain functionality, but nearly all of it can be added with FREE (and tiny, and thus not slowing the device down) 3rd party software, fully and transparently integrating itself with the OS. Actually, the only important thing that remained unsupported was voice dialling.

For me, the E7 is also a nice device, but having gotten used to WVGA and HD 720p screens I just can't imagine switching back to a less-than-VGA screen. I port all my software also to Symbian and it is a real pain to fit everything on such a low resolution display. That's the biggest disadvantage, IMO.

Dan is right, the N900 is especially useful for 'geeks'. The entire system is open and unlocked, you can do with it whatever you want. Everything can be tweaked, hacked, modded. But it also has several other important advantages. Its web browser is one of the best on mobile devices - it is as 'WYSIWYG' as it can be, no other mobile web browser comes close. On all other devices web pages look differently than on a desktop while the MicroB browser on the N900 renders them identically as on PC. But if you don't like it, Opera, Firefox, unofficial port of Chrome and a lot of other browsers (mainly WebKit based) are also available. Another advantage of N900 is its unique desktop, with active widgets (fully functional small applications), fully customizable. By default there are 4 desktops, but this can be easily extended to 8 or more. It's as functional (if not more) than Android's desktop, and there is a third party implementation of Live Wallpapers, too.

Finally, the N900 can be easily and quite considerably overclocked, and it remains fully stable. Both my N900s run perfectly fine at 1,1 GHz (i.e. almost twice faster than its original speed) with DSP and memory access also tweaked, which makes it as fast as many today's smartphone models. The E7 cannot be overclocked, it's stuck at its stock 680 MHz clock.

The E7 has nicer and better quality casing and a capacitive, finger controlled screen whereas the N900 has a resistive screen, which is covered with plastic and is more fragile and susceptible to scratches. On the N900 you often need to use a stylus, but this is not always a disadvantage as it makes the screen more precise (e.g. for drawing).

Due to the N900's OS being much more open, there are much more enhancements and modifications available for it. Custom kernel (enabling e.g. USB host mode), custom camera driver and software (with HDR and other improvements), possibility to install Android alongside the original system, and more. On the N900 you can even replace the original OS. The Jolla's Sailfish OS is based on Mer which supports the N900, so chances are that in the future there will be a Mer distribution for the N900 providing (partial or full) Sailfish OS compatibility....

So like others wrote, it mainly depends on one's individual preferences and needs. The N900 surely is much more 'expandable' and 'tweakable'. With overclocking one can almost double its speed. In the future it may be possible to install Mer on it (when Mer gets more end-user friendly and fully functional). Amazingly, after nearly 4 years the Maemo community is still alive and quite active, so there will be still some new software releases and tweaks. It looks that Symbian 'ecosystem' (although once uncomparably bigger) may fade away quicker than the much smaller Maemo one...

The E7 is a somehow 'more finished' product out of the box, but what it offers by default is at the same time all one can get - you can't tweak it too much, you can't easily overclock it (and at 680 MHz it's quite slow now) so it will remain what it is.

It's everyone's individual choice. If I had to choose between the two, I'd go back to the N900 @ 1,1 GHz + Swappolube and a couple of other tweaks.

And if someone managed to port Android compatibility to it (e.g. from Sailfish OS), it might give it a new life. As much as I am against Android compatibility on new/active platforms (as it kills native development) on a dead platform like Maemo it would actually be a very useful and positive thing. And thanks to Maemo's openness it would be much easier to implement Android compatibility on the N900 than on Symbian...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    My-Symbian ~ My-Maemo ~ My-MeeGo Forum Index -> Symbian OS Series 80 Communicators All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic